...Harriet?!?!??!?!??!?!?
- 2 (2.2%)
...Someone Else?
- 8 (9%)
WAFFLES!
- 16 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2377-2381 (4-8 February, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 152198 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Pot calling the kettle black.

Touché.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Fancy dresses notwithstanding, this would make for some good character development for Claire. Coming out as being trans* has helped define who she is, but goes no way to defining who she is (if you understand what I mean). To those (and those considering) outside of that reference, she's just a bookish-type, introverted young lady with a pretty good, reliable, but small social circle.

It'd be cool to see her outside her comfort zone (and not having her brother around to torment), and going all fancy while doing so.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

i'd bet 100quatloos he's gonna bring claire

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Y'know, this isn't really what I'd call a "date" - going to his father's wedding has a rather different focus.

Correct, but it is still the kind of not-date that can segue to dating. Shipping rules be damned.

(Also, the subtext appears to imply she has a crush on Marten.)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Am I the only one that wanted Padma to miraculously return and go as his date?

Isn't she like on the other coast?

PixelMoose

• Not quite a lurker

Isn't she like on the other coast?

I did say miraculously return :P I liked their relationship as short as it was, and would have liked to have seen it a bit longer

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Wasn't it a bit selfish of Marten to refuse to use the plane ticket after his dad spent the money?
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2013, 06:17 by Somebody »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Maybe he can get the money back somehow? I dunno how it works...

Aw man, I really wanted him to go with Hanners. :(
Same here...  :-\

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

She will already be there, as Veronica's date. :psyduck:
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Meh, I like Claire.  There have been more than a few "Oh, Claire.  Don't ever change." moments over the last few weeks, and today's was yet another one.  And this development was completely unsurprising.  But I still wish he had gone with Hanners.  I just find myself missing the older-school characters a bit.

Also ... he is going to get his dad a refund on those plane tickets, right?

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

"Let's swap!"
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

Fancy dresses notwithstanding, this would make for some good character development for Claire. Coming out as being trans* has helped define who she is, but goes no way to defining who she is (if you understand what I mean). To those (and those considering) outside of that reference, she's just a bookish-type, introverted young lady with a pretty good, reliable, but small social circle.

I, personally, would add "ambitious", "hard-working" and/or "determined" to that description (as that/those character trait(s) is/are likelyl to be the reason(s) that she's got such a small social circle).
Francisco

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Anyone else read "Looks like someone's getting shipped" in the same tone as they read "Did someone say Weeaboo"? :x

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

[...]reason(s) that she's got such a small social circle).

OTOH being willing to drive people is a good way to expand the circle.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Blah. I'm sick of Claire already. I wanted Marten to go with Hanners. (Or Dora, so we can throw in some ex-drama.)

Me too.  She's a fine enough character with a good enough personality, but I kinda think she's getting a wee over exposed.

I really wanted Hanners and Marten, but then I selfishly love their dynamic the most.  And after Marten helped out Hanners (in a wayish) of going with her to space for a big trip, I figured it'd be awesome for Hanners to return that sentiment and go on a wedding trip with Marty.

What was the requested thing Jeph got though?  Marty going to a wedding?  So confused.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Y'know, this isn't really what I'd call a "date" - going to his father's wedding has a rather different focus.

It really can't be a date when she's literally the last resort and was option #5, the first option being him going alone, then Faye, then Dora, then Hanners, and then Claire.  Sides, not like he even thought of asking her until she offered.

Don't know why people keep trying to force ship these two.  Thought we couldn't do that.  Lord knows had my very first post here not been eloquently done regarding Hanners/Marten just as a dynamic I'd have gotten run off with pitchforks. 

I think going to your father's same sex marriage is about just going with a good friend for support.  Any romance, ugh, will be forced and awkward.

Also ... he is going to get his dad a refund on those plane tickets, right?

I hope so.  No idea what plane tickets are like in QC verse, but they're still damned expensive here.  Seems kinda callous not to use them if they're non-refundable though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

What was the requested thing Jeph got though?

Claire to go with Marten, of course; the world is unhappy that Marten has no love, and blatantly wishes to push him into the company of any character that has not already been ruled out (and often some that have).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I just *love* Claire's hair. And the book she tossed into the air. And the way skinny jeans actually flatter her figure. Her whole reaction in this comic is awesome <3
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Fancy dress! Fancy dress! Fancy dress! Wheeee!!!!
Worry Hat, Engage!

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship

I wonder if we'll get to see Claire in the dressing room, rejecting all sorts of pretty dresses, or if she'll just show up with one?
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Also, Marten drinks milk from a glass?  I thought that fad died out a decade ago
Drinking milk is a fad?

God I hope not. If it was, Wisconsin would have an even worse job loss rate than there already is in this state.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Just Karen

• Plantmonster
  • Just Karen

He's going to kill her off in some horrible way, isn't he?   :-D

Please no. Please. I've lost too many trans friends that way. Yes, it would be plausible, realistic even, but not really in QC's style - any more than Momo getting set on by Fanatics and put in a crusher, then melted to slag.

Agreed.  Keep the realism to the realistic comics, please.  QC is only slightly more realistic than most anime.

Just Karen

• Plantmonster
  • Just Karen

Claire is very cute in this. Sometimes you just want an excuse to buy a fancy dress  :lol:

Yeah, pretty sure she's been looking for one for a while.

She strikes me as the kind of gal who might like to wear a wedding dress one day too. Not everyone's like that, but in her heart of hearts, maybe.

In the meantime, yes, formal attending-wedding attire! She has the figure for it too. Probably wants a hairdo, maybe a makeover... you see she probably didn't get to attend a prom, or do any of the other teenage girl stuff. She's got some making-up to do.

Marigold probably didn't either, but she might not miss it. Not too much. Or wouldn't admit it to herself.

THIS.  I never went to Prom, I'm already married (and my wife refuses to have another wedding after the disaster that was the first), I never went to any formal dances...  and I spent years obsessing over that fact.

[...]reason(s) that she's got such a small social circle).

Not that I've ever noticed.  Oh, unless you count the people that only hang out with you for rides.  Seriously, I had "friends" I tried to get together with for lunch/dinner/etc a few times, and they kept refusing - so the only time I would see them was when I drove them across town to a monthly event.  That got fairly old fairly fast.

I, personally, would add "ambitious", "hard-working" and/or "determined" to that description (as that/those character trait(s) is/are likelyl to be the reason(s) that she's got such a small social circle).

Probably accurate.  I have yet to meet a T* person that isn't determined and ambitious, and that rarely leads to them not being hard-working.  The ambition might not be the traditional one, but...

It really can't be a date when she's literally the last resort and was option #5, the first option being him going alone, then Faye, then Dora, then Hanners, and then Claire.  Sides, not like he even thought of asking her until she offered.

Don't know why people keep trying to force ship these two.  Thought we couldn't do that.  Lord knows had my very first post here not been eloquently done regarding Hanners/Marten just as a dynamic I'd have gotten run off with pitchforks. 

I think going to your father's same sex marriage is about just going with a good friend for support.  Any romance, ugh, will be forced and awkward.

I disagree about the romance.  Being around people that love each other very much and have been kept from each other by legal issues for years?  It's one of the more romantic ways to see a wedding.  Seeing the pictures from the Seattle courthouse made me cry, and I wasn't even there in person.

I'd be willing to guess she'll be another guest, and awkwardness will ensue.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Speaking of Veronica.....is she gonna be at the wedding? I mentioned it before that is she is, she'll be a major awkward zone period.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think it's unfair to call Claire a "last resort", Marten may have not asked any of the interns because he thought it'd be inappropriate to ask them to drive him that far. But as soon as Claire volunteered to drive him, he invited her without hesitation. (By which I only mean that he's not a bad friend for not asking her earlier)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

westrim

I think it's unfair to call Claire a "last resort".
Yeah, she's lasted more than 13 episodes so she'll probably be on for the duration.

Wait, Last Resort had a sub, which sank in the final episode. Perhaps a harbinger of a ship sinking during this outing?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

You're entirely correct and the rule hasn't changed. The moderators are trying to react proportionally but if it gets worse ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, Last Resort had a sub, which sank in the final episode.
Dude, not cool! I was going to watch that eventually!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

westrim

Wait, Last Resort had a sub, which sank in the final episode.
Dude, not cool! I was going to watch that eventually!
Sorry, I have a hard time remembering that some people are concerned with spoilers; I stopped worrying a long time ago and learned to love the information. Plus it's hard to swing a cat in a roomful of media without hitting something someone doesn't know.

Not sure that was the best metaphor, and now I can't get the image of libraries and blockbusters full of swinging cats out of my head.

You're entirely correct and the rule hasn't changed. The moderators are trying to react proportionally but if it gets worse ...
I don't know, I'm finding the references to rules about shipping more frequent, less subtle, and more annoying than the actual shipping. Regular users can use the PM system too if they want to tell someone to knock it off instead of calling them out in-thread. I may be a bit of a black pot on this, though.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2013, 10:39 by Westrim »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

As I was waiting in the Lab for someone to take my blood for testing, I saw a woman who looked pretty much like Claire in today's comic.

Her T-shirt was red, and her hair was not quite as "frizzy?", but she was wearing the same slim jeans and the same blue shoes. 

Interesting. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't want Claire to be killed off either, and I don't think it would happen (has anyone died in the comic? I don't count the already-dead people at the morgue) but if Claire were to die, it wouldn't have to be connected with her trans* status. People die in horrible accidents all the time.

But it's just not what QC is like, so not going to happen in my view.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I disagree about the romance.  Being around people that love each other very much and have been kept from each other by legal issues for years?  It's one of the more romantic ways to see a wedding.  Seeing the pictures from the Seattle courthouse made me cry, and I wasn't even there in person.

Just Karen, I think you're confusing Mad Martigan's romance between two people with a more general notion of romance.  Yes, weddings are romantic, but that doesn't automatically ignite a non-existant spark between two people...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Swedish Chef

• Plantmonster
  • Lurk lurk lurk!

Given the social event, double entendre duly noted.

Yes, my mind is in the gutter. It's mine all mine. My own, my precious

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Can't say I really feel where the mentions of Marten-Claire shipping mentions are coming from, even if I certainly understand silly crushes when subordinated to someone. *Ahem*

Would probably be a pretty sad arc, though, since I expect Marten to stand by what principles he has and turn things like that down. Also not really feeling sparks there at the moment, so would probably be one-sided anyway.

He's going to kill her off in some horrible way, isn't he?   :-D
Please no. Please. I've lost too many trans friends that way. Yes, it would be plausible, realistic even, but not really in QC's style - any more than Momo getting set on by Fanatics and put in a crusher, then melted to slag.
you see she probably didn't get to attend a prom, or do any of the other teenage girl stuff. She's got some making-up to do.

I wonder if we'll get to see Claire in the dressing room, rejecting all sorts of pretty dresses, or if she'll just show up with one?

That sentence could've ended so much worse than it did.  :laugh:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

I don't want Claire to be killed off either, and I don't think it would happen (has anyone died in the comic? I don't count the already-dead people at the morgue) but if Claire were to die, it wouldn't have to be connected with her trans* status. People die in horrible accidents all the time.

But it's just not what QC is like, so not going to happen in my view.

Wasn't someone eaten by an Allosaurus?

I'm honestly glad that Clair is getting to go, she seems like she really needs good friends.  Though I do always love seeing Hanners in strips!

Also I wouldn't doubt that Marten would forget to refund the plane tickets, this is Marten we're talking about  :-D

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

She strikes me as the kind of gal who might like to wear a wedding dress one day too. Not everyone's like that, but in her heart of hearts, maybe.

In the meantime, yes, formal attending-wedding attire! She has the figure for it too. Probably wants a hairdo, maybe a makeover... you see she probably didn't get to attend a prom, or do any of the other teenage girl stuff. She's got some making-up to do.

Was thinking this too, she may have missed out on a lot of the things that she would've loved to do as a child but would be looked down upon by many in our society (Honestly seems silly to talk down about a boy wearing a dress when men wear kilts!  :-P) so I'm glad she has the perfect excuse now!  :-)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Looks like somebody's getting shipped.

Claire seems into it.

AND SO AM I RAISE THE ANCHOR LOWER THE SAILS SET A COURSE FOR LOOOOOOOVE

Of course she's getting shipped...

... TO VERMONT

IN HER OWN CAR.

Get it?

I love Claire so much
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2013, 12:13 by FunkyTuba »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Personally, I could see Claire being romantically attracted to Marten at some level, and potentially even acting on it.

I couldn't see Marten reciprocating for various reasons - I think his ethics would keep him from acting on it even if he were attracted to Claire, and I suspect that he's not quite open-minded enough to want to be in a sexual relationship with Claire anyway (that's the most tactful way I can put it).

I could see Jeph doing an arc about that, though. He's just enough of a sadist to his characters...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't think that was ever made canon. ::)

The only person who was said to have died was Faye's dad, I think :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

Stranger things have happened...  :laugh:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Does the cast page count? It's somewhat out of date, yes, but...
Quote from: Cast page
Former employee at Coffee of Doom. Eaten by an allosaurus. RIP.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's arguable. I don't consider it canon.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Yea, some comics treat cast pages as canon, others just as a place to write weird stuff
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

"Well, that's a weird cannon". 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

Yea, some comics treat cast pages as canon, others just as a place to write weird stuff

And others, who see no reason to not to have their cake and eat it too, use their cast pages to place weird canon material!  :lol:

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

"Well, that's a weird cannon".

<---------------<<
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Re: Plane tickets:

I'm going to guess that Marten's dad hedged his bet by buying fully-refundable fares. Or bought "flaky son" travel insurance.

Otherwise it'll be a jumping off point for tense Marten<->Henry interactions once they get to Vermont.

Jeph has left himself lots of options.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

I tried to brush it off before, but it's getting harder to dismiss the idea that Jeph's trying to pair-up Marten and Claire as a couple...

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I tried to brush it off before, but it's getting harder to dismiss the idea that Jeph's trying to pair-up Marten and Claire as a couple...
Or he's taunting the readers who want Marten and Claire to be a couple. He's been known to do that from time to time.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

And others, who see no reason to not to have their cake and eat it too, use their cast pages to place weird canon material!  :lol:

Someone has read Order of the Stick, I see!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up