...Harriet?!?!??!?!??!?!?
- 2 (2.2%)
...Someone Else?
- 8 (9%)
WAFFLES!
- 16 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2377-2381 (4-8 February, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 152215 times)

westrim

Remember also that Jeph must be aware of his own psychological fragility, and may be consciously trying to avoid triggering the kind of comment that got to him so badly in the autumn.  I doubt that the readership count was his first thought when he made the change.
There was an actual comment that got to him? I thought it was just a relapse related to stress or something.

On an unrelated note, where is my pitchfork?

My opinion from the previous visit - including the moment when Marten finally got fed up with it, managed to find something resembling a spine, and was promptly smacked down in front of all his friends - stands. Veronica, whether it was entirely conscious or not, has done an excellent job of breaking Marten's spirit and ensuring that he will remain her obedient, pliable little boy forever. Someone who will drift through life with no real goals or agency of his own, waiting for someone to tell him what to do.
That's a bit different sentiment than I've expressed, but you expressed it far better and I mostly agree.

OK, that's the third person on this page who's called Claire "ditzy".  Either you're all just jumping on the bandwagon, or, as Inigo Montoya once said...
I keep seeing (and using) him recently. If you hadn't posted that, I was going to soon.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

You all are reading too much into Veronica, don't you think? I really don't think she's as callous and evil as some make her out to be. The simple truth is, sex does alter your personality when it becomes your profession. As far as someone whose been in that kind of profession, she's done a fairly good job at raising Martin. And he's not nearly as bad as the others in the comic with Steve being the exception.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Ok after reading Jeph's tumblr it all makes sense now.   +1 Internet for being proactive.

As for the asshole who messaged him about Clair,  LBGT agenda and transphobia...  Hopefully he dies as a result of a series horrific yet UTTERLY HILARIOUS events.   Ok I don't actually hope for that,  but come on.  If you don't like the comic stop reading.   Jeph has been clear on his stance with LBGT... if you don't know that by now you've missed a memo or two.

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

You all are reading too much into Veronica, don't you think? I really don't think she's as callous and evil as some make her out to be. The simple truth is, sex does alter your personality when it becomes your profession. As far as someone whose been in that kind of profession, she's done a fairly good job at raising Martin. And he's not nearly as bad as the others in the comic with Steve being the exception.

Seriously. She's Marten's mom, this stuff is part of her unwritten job description.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

You all are reading too much into Veronica, don't you think? I really don't think she's as callous and evil as some make her out to be.
Again, I don't think she's either.  I think she loves her son very much and wants him to be happy.  I theorize that she may think that the best way to do this is to run his life for him.  Mother always knows best for her precious boy.

westrim

Why do you think anyone thinks she's evil? That would require intent to harm him- I, possibly we, think she's just doing what she thinks is best, without consideration (the callous part) of his feelings or the fact that she's meddling in HIS life. No evil part.

Also, Steve is well adjusted? The same Steve that keeps hooking up with unavailable women and once drank himself into a weeks long bender?

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

I really hope Marten and Claire don't get together. Nothing to do with her being trans, I just don't like her as a character at all. I think the fact that she is trans is the most interesting aspect to an otherwise boring and forgettable character. That said, I havent really enjoyed any of the "Marten and the Interns" stuff. Emily is marginally more fun than Claire, but I'd be just as happy if the entire library group of characters (including Tai) were written out to allow more focus on Hannelore and Marigold, as well as the original "coffee shop crew"

Not that I dislike the new characters, I'm just not entirely won over by them.  To not like is not to dislike.

Oglokoog

• Not quite a lurker

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

It's embarassing enough when your mother talks about you in front of your (or even her) friends, this is like another level beyond that.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Also, Steve is well adjusted? The same Steve that keeps hooking up with unavailable women and once drank himself into a weeks long bender?

kept hooking up.  Past tense.  He's been happily attached to Cosette for an indeterminate amount of time that's well over six months (they met in winter, it's getting past summer). 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Marten is unlikely to want to do something unethical. We could get some interesting character development out of awkward conversations, though.

She's not going to be an intern forever, mind...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

The simple truth is, sex does alter your personality when it becomes your profession.

Okay, calling puritanical bullshit on this. Source?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten says he moved to the opposite side of the country to follow Vicky.

Conscious or not, some corner of him may have decided it was important to find the nearest continent and put it between him and his mother.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

...chest of hair. You would not believe how bushy he is.

Boy, Claire sure does blush easily and strongly. Attractiveness in particular seems to be a trigger, but she's found a lot of people attractive so far.

Marten and his dad have the same shut up NOW eyes.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Comic's up!

Looks like it's Claire's turn to say inappropriate things. Let's see how THIS little outburst ignites this forum!  :evil:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Sudden decrease and increase of pupil size like that really CAN'T be good for Claire's eyesight. No wonder she wears a toupée glasses.
And I wonder. If she finds Marten's father attractive does that mean she finds his son attractive as well?

adendum:
Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Wow... haven't had that in a while. You swift bastards nice people.

edit:
... a big ... heart?
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

What was that about Marten not being Claire's type?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Why does every female find Marten's dad so irresistible, but not Marten himself - even though they are PRACTICALLY IDENTICAL?  :?
What do you know about Pokémon?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That could have been more awkward.

How it could have been more awkward eludes me at the moment, but there must be some way.

EDIT: Because gray hair is "distinguished looking". Moreover it's a safe bet that Henry Reed carries himself with more confidence than Marten does.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

Why does every female find Marten's dad so irresistible, but not Marten himself - even though they are PRACTICALLY IDENTICAL?  :?
He is gay, and thus inaccessible. Plus, Anderson Cooper hair.

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook

laughed until I coughed.

poor Claire, or poor Marten?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

... stamp collection.

Will all the Reeds wind up at the bar?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Shogouki

• Furry furrier

OK, that's the third person on this page who's called Claire "ditzy".  Either you're all just jumping on the bandwagon, or, as Inigo Montoya once said...

Quote from: Merriam Webster
dit·zy
adjective \ˈdit-sē\
ditz·i·er or dits·i·er,dits·i·est
Definition:
eccentrically silly, giddy, or inane : dizzy

That describes Emily.  NOT Claire! 

Now, stop that! 

I'm not seeing the ditzy thing for Claire either... :?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

That could have been more awkward.
How it could have been more awkward eludes me at the moment, but there must be some way.
[ ... ]
The  sentence could've been finished.

Will all the Reeds wind up at the bar?
PARTEH!
If so then I hope this time Claire can do the pregnancy-blackmail-scare. The hilarity!
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I hope this time Claire can do the pregnancy-blackmail-scare. The hilarity!
Oh man.  That would be bad-ass.  She'd be tough as a diamond to pull that.

And it would all fall flat, because Faye already did it.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I think the fact that she is trans is the most interesting aspect to an otherwise boring and forgettable character.
Boring is good.
Forgettable is good,
Both are safe.

Personally I find her neither - just not as... outstanding? questionable? Yes, that's the word. Not as questionable as those she's currently with - Marten included.

Let's see...Marten has a pro Dominatrix model for a mother.
Hanners has had issues few overcome. Heroic? Yes, I'd say that word applies.
A father who shoots himself in front of his daughter...

Many of the main characters have had incidents in their lives that would be good excuses for them to be severely F**ked up. Only Hanners has real issues there, and she's healing.

Claire just being Claire is pretty good. It's what many gals in similar circumstances aim for. Real insight from the author there, I don't know how much research he did, but he's been spot-on so far.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Confession time, since someone sort of brought it up earlier: I like Faye, but I'm happy to see her fade into the background for a while. Until Jeph is up to finding a different facet to dive into, stick a fork in her cuz' she's done. For the moment, the conflicts and motivations that have driven her and us have been resolved. They won't *stay* that way by any means, but it's true.

Dora's similar, though Tai's confrontation strip with her was just as kick-ass as the Faye/Angus Africa strip (and both ended similarly! I'm a sucker for this pattern apparently).

Hannelore's father's birthday party was also a great conclusion for her. Steve and Cosette are happy. Momo is getting used to a more direct role in the world-at-large in her new body. Pintsize is chillaxin'. Marigold is social (comparatively)

Getting to the point: Most of these characters have managed some major personal accomplishments lately and in the last six months, and I feel like part of the reason for introducing the interns (and to a lesser extent Dale and Henry+Maurice) is because Jeph's casting his nets and seeing what compels his attention.

So far it's Claire and Emily (poor Gabby is a lamp right now). And hell, I'm going to guess that fan reaction certainly plays a role in that, God knows my own writing (when I used to do a lot more of it) was influenced by audience feedback. Few entertainers and artists like to create in a vacuum, I'd imagine.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

And yeah, after having looked over ZoeB's comment...it's probably selfish as all get out for me to feel this way, but it's been nice to see her life be pretty calm.

It can't last, and shouldn't; life itself is too chaotic for that, even comic book life. But you don't know how much I've wished for, in some ways, just have a quiet, boring life, without such ridiculous upheaval and occasionally alien strangeness.

But Claire's a character, and not my character. She'll go through terrible and wondrous things, as long as Jeph and the audience keep her around. I'm not going to say that Jeph Jacques is a modern master of the art form, but I am going to say he's pretty bloody good at what he does, and generally you can trust him to get a good story banged out after a while. Certainly it's kept most of us around for 2k-something strips.

Though on a sidenote I swear he did manage to write a whole lot more apparently accidental chemistry between Hannelore and Marigold than he meant to. I mean I didn't even glance at these forums and was all "Man I wonder if he's meaning to set this up like this?"

Edit: WHERE IS FANCY DRESS! :o

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Two theories:
a) It's Friday evening and the wedding's on Saturday, so all the fancy clothing is scheduled for tomorrow. (If Veronica came all the way from California, an overnight stay would make sense.) Supported by nobody else being in formal wear either, even the grooms.
b) Claire chickened out of wearing it (or buying it in the first place, or she didn't find one she liked).

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

That first one makes a lot more sense. They are probably at a hotel with an attached bar/restaurant, especially looking at Marten and Claire's bags in the previous comic.

ukrayf

• Not quite a lurker

Faye's probably still my favorite character so I always wish for more of her. I don't think she's ever really had a dull strip.

And yeah, I mean, Marten and Claire brought overnight bags, it seems.

Who's prepared for the ~LOL double-bed hotel room mixup XD~?

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!

I don't know who I feel more sorry for in terms of embarassment: Claire, or Marten. Well, at least his mother didn't show Claire the baby photos.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I was just thinking about that, actually, especially if Henry reserved the room for Marten.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Panel 4...LOL!
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I was just thinking about that, actually, especially if Henry reserved the room for Marten.

Ready, and hoping for it.

Why, because it will end this week off nicely, and would make a nice birthday present.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yet.
Loaded the thread, took a shower, came back, read it, saw the post before this and typed "Yet." Hit "post" and this was already there. Well played, boss.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

If the overall arc isn't towards Claire getting or confessing a crush on Marten, and the ensuing complications, I'll eat my hat.

And no this doesn't count as shipping, I could care less. I'm basing this on that doodle Jeph did of Claire, months and months ago, when he was trying to figure out "who she was", and he put in this caption "I have PLAAAAANS for her" and she was looking up and saying "I don't like the sound of that."

SQUEEZE BOX

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

He is gay, and thus inaccessible. Plus, Anderson Cooper hair.

Anderson Cooper hair.  Can't tell you how many females I've met who think Anderson is like some greek god. Ridiculous.

And yea..Martendad does have insanely more confidence than his hapless son.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Now she knows what Marten is going to look like when he's older... and approves... who knows?
Of course Marten, poor guy, gets a say in this.

I have to keep telling myself "it's only a comic strip!"

I'm not going to say that Jeph Jacques is a modern master of the art form, but I am going to say he's pretty bloody good at what he does,
I'll certainly agree with the second part. But I think I might say the first too.

I can see Claire committing a few faux pas as well. You see, hormones, well, puberty comes a little late for us, and like 15 years olds, we may not be very adept at handling it and concealing initial reactions.
If you think that's funny in a gal in her early 20s, it can be even more so in a gal in her late 40s. Maybe not so much for others (who may not notice it), but certainly for her.

The day I found out I'd acquired a sexual orientation, my reaction to one of my students (a member of the Uni athletics team, freshly showered, in singlet and jeans) in with his project team for some after-hours tuition in front of a whiteboard was, well, yes, like Claire to Marten's dad. And even more inappropriate. I think I hid it better though. I hope I did!!!! Concentrating on the system model took supreme willpower, all I wanted to do was stare and repeat "OMG...OMG.." Seriously yummy... but I was 47, old enough to be his mother, and worse, he was a student. So I did my job, rather than appreciating the sight and smell of him.

I doubt he or the other members of his team noticed though - he must be used to gals reacting to him like that.

Anyway, I can totally believe Claire could be caught off balance by her hormones like that.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Ready, and hoping for it.

Why, because it will end this week off nicely, and would make a nice birthday present.
What, Marten sleeping on the couch, the day his dad got married?

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I vote taunting. It's what I'd do. I do hope she sticks around though, girl's being a most entertaining addition.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Uelrindru

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I personally like Claire, she's just the right mix of outcast, shy and trying too hard. I also hope the Marten Claire pairing happens because there's such a rich amount of ideas to explore there and the stories about them would be intriguing. I'll accept whatever happens and I hope this doesn't come across as shipping I just see SO much potential for interesting stories there and I want to see those stories and those issues brought up.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Welcome, new person! ;D

He's got that hypnotic look...Marten hasn't gotten enough action to graduate to The Look yet.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

He's got that hypnotic look...Marten hasn't gotten enough action to graduate to The Look yet.

Are you implying that Sven was Henry's padawan?  :psyduck:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

mabhatter

• Not quite a lurker

Personally, I could see Claire being romantically attracted to Marten at some level, and potentially even acting on it.

I couldn't see Marten reciprocating for various reasons - I think his ethics would keep him from acting on it even if he were attracted to Claire, and I suspect that he's not quite open-minded enough to want to be in a sexual relationship with Claire anyway (that's the most tactful way I can put it).

I could see Jeph doing an arc about that, though. He's just enough of a sadist to his characters...

And this argument is the BEST reason to do such shipping. Marten doesn't have anything else going on, and Claire is really nice... If he didn't know she was robot hand guy's sister he might have already considered it.

Weddings are the best time for such forced relationships anyway... Mom and dads will drop those subtle "grand baby" hints... Like with anything warm and breathing... Wedding have pressure, loneliness, and alochol and inconvienent sleeping arrangements (more art opportunities) to push things along.

ID think to have Claire hook up with somebody else might get Marten interested too.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Are you implying that Sven was Henry's padawan?  :psyduck:
No. Henry uses his powers for good. Sven is more of a sex-sith.
Worry Hat, Engage!

westrim

No. Henry uses his powers for good. Sven is more of a sex-sith.
Now you have me thinking about the color of their lightsabers. :mrgreen:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Where is fancy bread?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Now you have me thinking about the color of their lightsabers. :mrgreen:

Not in an.. inflamed manner, I hope?
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Actually, it's more of a puce.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up