...Harriet?!?!??!?!??!?!?
- 2 (2.2%)
...Someone Else?
- 8 (9%)
WAFFLES!
- 16 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2377-2381 (4-8 February, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 152204 times)

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Has he even eaten since the car trip?

On an empty stomach, even a decidedly-not-skinny guy like yours truly gets a little dizzy after a glass of fine spirits.  Marten may well get drunk on the double.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What I'm suspecting is that her relationship with Henry was somewhat akin to Marten's relationship with Dora - in the reverse:
  • Where Dora initiated the relationship, Veronica was the passive one (Henry hit on her).
  • Same thing upon ending it - though the whole "dad is gay" thing might have been the actual trigger.
  • Whereas Henry and Veronica might get along with each other (on opposite ends of the country, of course), Veronica might still "have feelings" for Henry.
  • Veronica, similar to Dora, does NOT like the feeling of not being "in control" - and is at a point where she can't do anything about it.
  • Veronica believes in the Faye Whitaker Coping Method. (A Coping Mechanism on the Rocks.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

At home, I drink my Laphroaig out of a Glencairn glass.

In bars, it mostly comes in a rocks glass or a small tumbler.

I have had it served in a plastic tumbler at some large gatherings. 
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I wonder what Veronica's Tequila monster looks like

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

I doubt Marten is going to get drunk on 30 year old whisky, even he's not that foolish, is he?
I dunno, I've got hammered on whisky only barely younger than me, when I was that age. :oops: :-o

My preferred tipple is Talisker, generally from a shot glass.
Actually, it is rocket science.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Nobody knows. She won't let it take off the gimp suit.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Yessssss.... the little scotchhhh.....
I want this scotch - unless it's an Islay. 

That's OK, I'll take it off your hands if it's an Islay. My three top destilleries are Islay: Bruichladdich, Lagavulin and Laphroaig, in that order.

I prefer Highland Park myself, but to each their own. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I doubt Marten is going to get drunk on 30 year old whisky, even he's not that foolish, is he?
I dunno, I've got hammered on whisky only barely younger than me, when I was that age. :oops: :-o

My preferred tipple is Talisker, generally from a shot glass.

Last time I had 3 whiskey shots in 5 minutes, my coordination was shot immediately.  Can't imagine what aged whiskey will do to him on an empty stomach.  And I'm a skinny dude like Marten.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

So, assuming that #2378 is foreshadowing, I think Marten will get heinously drunk and then meet up with his Uncle. Together they will summon the weed monster.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Waitwaitwait, so Marten's father is Henry Reed?? Haha, I know what books Jeph used to read as a kid!

(I never caught it before because Henry never said his full name before, and I can never remember Marten's last name.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

You're the first to notice this.

The timing is about right for Jeph to have read them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Nobody knows. She won't let it take off the gimp suit.

I was thinking this was the other way around, where her tequila monster is the only being that she subs for.

Majicou83

• Not quite a lurker

There should be a tequila monster stuffed animal. I'd keep it on my desk at work.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

"Or what, mom? Watcha gonna do, spank me?"

It would shock the hell outta me and represent some MAJOR character development for Marten to ever say anything like that to his mother. He is too much the stereotypical Momma's Boy.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Which was quickly stomped out by Veronica.
Worry Hat, Engage!

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

There has been a flash of assertiveness.

Sorry but no, worst example you could have come up with. Marten gets a little snarky in the first panel, second panel Marten's Mom utterly SMASHES him down like he's an upstart child. And Marten goes along with it like he really is still that child. No, he'd have to go much farther than that to assert his adulthood, and be willing to risk Momma's Wrath,or possibly even worse, Momma Not Speaking To Him For Awhile. Though he might not consider that last part to be so bad...I'm starting to agree with the posters who think that following Vicki was a convenient excuse for Marten to get out from under his mother's thumb by putting a continent between them. It even makes visits difficult and expensive.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

It even makes visits difficult and expensive.

Not when she's got her clients' money to spend. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Of course, you are talking about a woman who knows a thing or two about whips and such.

Veronica probably only needs to use that certain tone with Marten before he gets the mental image of mom breaking out her riding crop.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, the only off thing Henry's really so far in the comic is slapping Faye's ass.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Halloween Jack

• Not quite a lurker

Tequila monster.

Kilt.

Pretty please.
When it's good it's pretty good, but when it's bad I go to pieces.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Aye laddie
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There has been a flash of assertiveness.

Sorry but no, worst example you could have come up with. Marten gets a little snarky in the first panel, second panel Marten's Mom utterly SMASHES him down like he's an upstart child. And Marten goes along with it like he really is still that child.

I think "flash" is just the right word for something that appears for an instant and is immediately snuffed.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Fair point, IICIH. And you just made me think of something.

What would happen if Veronica was rude, condescending, invasive or otherwise mean towards Hannelore?

(Apart from there being no redeeming her in the forum's collective eyes?)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wouldn't say no redeeming, Clinton's been at least moderately redeemed by being an apparently awesome brother.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WAYF

• Beyoncé

True, but being creepy towards Hannelore was the ONLY thing that Clinton ever really did to make him unlikable. I think.

My point is, would Marten be the doormat, or would he be the fierce protector of his friends?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

He might very well stand up for a friend when he wouldn't stand up for himself.

Has Ms. Reed ever been seen treating a non-customer as badly as she does Marten?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Has Ms. Reed ever been seen treating a non-customer as badly as she does Marten?

Absolutely not. She even hugged Dora after she dumped Marten.
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

True, but being creepy towards Hannelore was the ONLY thing that Clinton ever really did to make him unlikable. I think.

My point is, would Marten be the doormat, or would he be the fierce protector of his friends?

Let us hope it never reaches that point.
Just another Joe like 46

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Ia, ia, Chthulu f'tagn
SQUEEZE BOX

westrim

"Or what, mom? Watcha gonna do, spank me?"

It would shock the hell outta me and represent some MAJOR character development for Marten to ever say anything like that to his mother. He is too much the stereotypical Momma's Boy.
Yeah, but I can hope. Besides, it has a "hee hee, she's a dominatrix!" feel.

What would happen if Veronica was rude, condescending, invasive or otherwise mean towards Hannelore?
Veronica and Hannermom would have an Alpha Bitch throwdown.

I wouldn't say no redeeming, Clinton's been at least moderately redeemed by being an apparently awesome brother.
He was the opposite of mean, he just had boundary issues. A bit like Hannelore in the beginning, come to think (yes, stalking= boundary issues).

Mistreating Hannelore just might be what spurs Marten to action against her, kind of like the Emperor insinuating he'd go after Lukes sister. He's always been a (very weak) white knight.

« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013, 21:58 by Westrim »

Throg

• will accordion for food

No, Marten's been downright valiant several times -- always, always in defense of his friends. Even if he was taking a swing at someone with a street sign, or gamely going up against a transforming Vespa, or wielding a broadsword to defend Hannelore from CreepyClinton -- even if he doesn't stand up for himself, he will stand up for his friends.

Not always that successfully, but it's the thought that counts!
SQUEEZE BOX

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

It's possible Marten would hit on Claire, but Claire might not want to take advantage of his inebriated state, unless she was drunk too. But we don't know Claire that much to know that for sure.
She seems to have her head attached firmly to her shoulders.
She might have... issues...though. It's unlikely she treats sex with a healthy degree of casualness. If unusual anatomy is a thing of the past, maybe. It may not be, and no it's not polite to ask, or to speculate. Even here. Even of a comic strip character.

Intersex people face the same kind of issues. Many are fine having unusual anatomy there, but we realise others may not be so blase.

As a member of the Uni's ALLY program, I've had to help Intersex students as best I can. It gets complicated in those situations because they often don't know they're Intersex until their late teens. When a gal of 18 gets told the reason she hasn't started her periods yet is not because she's a "late bloomer", but she has CAIS and XY chromosomes, or Swyer syndrome, or some such, it can be a real shock. If some (long string of sulpherous and unladylike expletives capable of stripping paint at 20 metres) "doctor" tells her she's "genetically male" then I'm really, seriously tempted to commit homicide. With refinements. There's no such thing - one in 300 men aren't XY, some women are. Even those who have given birth. Such (long string of scatalogical and malefic expletives again) crass insensitivity can be psychologically devastating for those unprepared for it.

Anyway, I have to help such young women decide what to tell their boyfriends. Or girlfriends.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Tequila monster.

Kilt.

Pretty please.
Seconded
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Our relationship with the characters is already "not polite", but you're on solid ground if you want to posit that publicly speculating about the extent of Claire's reassignment is creepy.

Jumping several moves ahead in a potential debate about fictional characters, I imagine you saying that by not speculating about Claire we are getting critically important practice in how to treat real trans* people. Would you say that in reality?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I, for one, DO hope it reaches that point eventually. Marten needs opportunities to grow some spine (although I agree that smashing his mother with a pan might be a bit over the top).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

westrim

I, for one, DO hope it reaches that point eventually. Marten needs opportunities to grow some spine (although I agree that smashing his mother with a pan might be a bit over the top).
I agree. It would likely cause pandemonium!  :-D

Loki

• comeback tour!

Oh, come on, let's not turn this into a pan thread.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Is it OK if we do it with panache?
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

No, pandemonium is what you get in exchange when you sell pandas.

If you hit a monk with a pan, is that a religious act? Is Marten a pantheist?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I don't think Marten's motivations were necessarily religious... I think he just panicked.

(And thanks Westrim, now I really want to see Veronica and Beatrice fight it out.)
(Who would win in a fight between Veronica Reed and Beatrice Chatham?)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

All these things pale in significance alongside the fact that next Tuesday is pancake day.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!

(And thanks Westrim, now I really want to see Veronica and Beatrice fight it out.)
(Who would win in a fight between Veronica Reed and Beatrice Chatham?)

Well, Veronica could presumably blackmail politicians into shutting Beatrice's business down. Then again, Beatrice is not above using shark tanks to get rid of people, so...

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Veronica would probably hand Beatrice quite the whuppin, I think, having been into BDSM for so long.Higher pain thresholds and such. But that isn't to say CHatham wouldn't give a good account of herself, but I just don't think she's used to winning her battles physically.

At least not without sharks anyway.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Who's to say she couldn't smuggle a shark tank into the fighting arena?
Also, does Veronica necessarily need to have the higher pain threshold if she's the one dishing out the pain?

Floorman

• Not quite a lurker
  • Gliding through the minefield...

Beatrice gets rid of subordinates by firing them into volcanoes. She would probably settle a one-on-one fight by making a phone call. Then a satellite powers up, there's a flash of light, and a scorch mark where her opponent stood.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Gotta get the call off first. Come on, everyone knows that finishing moves require you to be completely vulnerable for a ludicrous length of time. :mrgreen:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Floorman

• Not quite a lurker
  • Gliding through the minefield...

Finishing? This is before they even get face to face.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

@ WAYF: You gotta know it to dish it, holmes.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

I can't really blame Veronica for being mean to Marten. He's kind of like this guy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up