THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala  (Read 2617 times)

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala
« on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:29 »

Hi all. I know we've had our differences in the past, but I hope we can look beyond that to a worthy cause.

As we all know, the Noble Peace Prize Committee is run by people who select entities such as Obama and the European Union as the recipients for the award. I would argue that Malala, a child clinging to life after being targeted by scum, has done more for peace than either of the two I have named, and has certainly accomplished more than I, with a decade more experience on this planet. Even if it's only a petition to have someone else nominate her, I feel that it is only justice that she be considered for this award.

That's why I'm asking that QC find it in their hearts to also sign this petition and spread it so that others can lend this the last bit of support it needs. This isn't about creeds or politics, but to honor a brave child for doing what most of us would be too craven to do, and to show those who hurt her that they won't succeed.

Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/nobel-peace-prize-for-malala

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Petition: Nobel Peace Prize for Malala
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2012, 14:59 »

I have moved this here from Discuss!, because I think it will be seem by more people here (and it's not specifically a topic for earnest discussion anyway.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2012, 17:21 »

(Link in case anyone doesn't know who she is or hasn't read up on current events):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai

I tend to agree with you, Black Sword. In reading up on the subject, I noticed she was nominated by Desmond Tutu (a Nobel Laureate himself) for the International Childrens' Peace Prize, and was the recipient of the Pakistan Youth Peace Prize not long after (this was before the assassination attempt). For someone of only fifteen years, she's done far more than I have in my 25-year lifetime in terms of activism and trying to raise awareness of the corruption of Taliban's thoecracy.

I'd go so far as to say that she's done more (it should be obvious) than Henry Kissinger, Barack Obama, or the E.U., who received the Nobel Prize  for "trying" to end the war in Vietnam (Kissinger); "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples" (Obama); and for being a "good group of countries" (E.U.). At least Le Duc Tho had the decency to decline it, citing that leading a war isn't justification for that type of honor.

If we look at other Nobel laureates, however, we see a different, more justified trend: Al Gore has spent decades working for a climate change initiative. Jimmy Carter's foreign relations extended well past his presidency. And several laureates have been awarded the prize in absentia, because they were being held prisoner for political reasons. I think Ms. Yousafzai fits in well with the latter group, and I beg anyone with an opposing viewpoint to come forward, let's hear any reason this young woman should not be at least considered for the Prize.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2012, 21:56 »

I only care about it because so many people still hold it in high regard. You're right, way too many people receive it that don't deserve it, and vice-versa. But instead of boo-ing a prize and event that people will remember regardless, I think we should at least point it in the right direction.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2013, 19:10 »

Awesome! It'll put more worth in the prize than Obama ever did...

Do we know if the Norwegian MPs who nominated her were influenced by the petition?
Worry Hat, Engage!
Pages: [1]   Go Up