THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 15:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [old man complaining] New tablet -- what is this I don't even  (Read 6139 times)

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Was gifted an Arnova 10B-G3 tablet.   It apparently has 4 gig of storage, a gig of ram and a fancy CPU... and some kind of clicky-clicky poke-poke screen.

Ok so I'm so old that my first computer game was typed in out of a Commodore 64 magazine.   Phones used to have wheels,  then they got fancy with buttons... and that's when shit got real.   

Not exactly conversant with "tablet culture" or "apps" or what have you.    Someone said this is a quote "piece of shit" because it can't connect to the "android app store."   Somehow I think that's wrong I see a button,  I tapped it and it went to a fancy google-rific site that apparently lets you down load ALL THE THINGS.  Somehow.  There is another "Arnova AppLib" store too,  I don't know what that is I'm overwhelmed by the first one still.  It also lacks "Blue Tooth" which is fine with me.   My TracFone has that and I never use it.  Apparently this lack of "Blue Tooth" is another reason it sucks.

Ok so right out of the box... for Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" version... what should I look for app-wise?  Clearly I need some background theme and stuff...   I need a PDF reader.   I also need an application similar to Irfan Viewer if one exists.   Possibly something to display Sketchup models.    And a decent office-suite.   

Assume I am a cheap bastard and would like to spend less than zero dollars.    If that's not possible I've budgeted $20 for what we used to call "software" back in my day.  :D

Once I'm off and running with that stuff, can ya'll point me twords various other apps?   Games, media-players, drawing programs, office software...    Anything really.

I'm off to the workshop to weld up an aluminum hard-shell case.  I can make one for $10 rather than spend $$$ on a fancy case at the 'shack...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm off to the workshop to weld up an aluminum hard-shell case.  I can make one for $10 rather than spend $$$ on a fancy case at the 'shack...

Considering what a decent case costs, it sounds like you've got a potential business model there...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Thought about it.  Problem is there are hundreds of models out there now,  all totally different form-factors.  If I back the wrong horse so to speak I've just fabricated hundreds of cases I can't sell.

I've made custom cases before for friends on an individual case by case basis.    :-o

*tosses a roll of quarters in the pun jar*

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Is there any way you can get a screenshot of the app store, so we can see if you actually have the full Google Play? It will make a difference for which apps we can suggest.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

• 1-800-SCABIES

Is there any way you can get a screenshot of the app store, so we can see if you actually have the full Google Play? It will make a difference for which apps we can suggest.

Screen-grabs are beyond me at this point.    It is in fact the "full" Google Play though.

INTERESTING point:   I am reading the online reviews, and they all pan this tablet for "not being able to access the Google Play and being restricted to Anova's propitiatory overpriced AppLib store."    That would be ALL of the more recent reviews.

I just bought an office-suite and a 3D file view through Google Play as well as some music FROM GOOGLE PLAY no questions.   

I'm seeing this complaint for all Anova products... along with some other very specific complaints that don't seem to reflect reality.  Perhaps I managed to get the only shipped NotSuck300 prototype or maybe the reviewers are all in league with Apple.   Ya know... blow out everyone else's candle so yours shines the brightest.   "In conclusion it's not an iPad therefore it sucks."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That is why I'm questioning whether or not it's the full Google Play. While not all reviews will be truthful, the majority will not lie outright. This is what Google Play looks like on my phone. Is this anything like yours?

what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Maybe the people who gifted it to you did some kind of jailbreaking?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

• 1-800-SCABIES

Maybe the people who gifted it to you did some kind of jailbreaking?

I actually know what that is.   And no it's the original OS,  tablet was sealed in box.

And Nekowafer,  that is exactly what I see when I log in.   Same "album offer" as well. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

It's entirely possible the manufacturer decided to release an update that lets you access the google play store.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well either way, it's awesome that you have access to it. Google products are generally going to be very useful. For PDF viewing, I suggest Documents To Go. If you're looking for an image editor, you can get Photoshop Express. For a theme, you can try Apex Launcher, Go Launcher, or LauncherPro. Apex is great for Ice Cream Sandwich; I have it on my Acer A500 tablet. But the others have different options that you may prefer.

What else are you looking for?

Edit: Your stock browser is probably not all that great. I suggest Dolphin browser.

• 1-800-SCABIES

For the time being I put Firefox on it, but it's a hog.   I'll want something lighter-weight...  I'll look into Dolphin later.

I am still looking for an office suite,  I have one but it's too light-weight. Kingston Office it's called.  It'll do for now.

The stock music app blows chunks -- the equalizer is made of equal parts fail and despair.  Something more robust with a decent equalizer is what I desire.

I figured since Google used to be associated with Sketchup there would be Sketchup file readers galore for android.  Four options,  all crippleware,  all suck.  I may have to actually spend money here to get what I need.

I'll look into Photoshop Express and Documents to Go after classes this evening.

Thanks for the advice so far. I have hardly put this thing down today.  It is my favorite toy at the moment...  sorry 3D printer.  ;)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

...I cannot fathom why you would use a tablet to play music.

Also, I never saw the need for a new web browser myself, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

For a while when my iPod was broken, I used my tablet for music. Google Music was okay, but I liked JukeFox better.

And I've never had luck with the stock browser for any of my devices. I always use Dolphin or Chrome instead.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Chrome!  I forgot about that one heh.  I'll check that out as well.

I used the tablet this evening to play music through a set of speakers while welding.  I set the tablet up on a shelf,  hit play and instant jukebox.

Tablet is sealed up and more immune to dust than a laptop or computer is,  and it's a bit easier to work with while wearing gloves than my regular tiny music pod.

So what's out there in the world of browser games?   I like ALL SORTS of games...  toss some ideas out for me.   

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Ah, right. I don't have a set of portable speakers, so that possibility never occured to me.

Are browser games for tablets even a thing? The vast majority of them only use M&KB, while the vast majority of mobile games are distributed through app stores. If you'd like some great games for Android, I suggest World of Goo (physics puzzler), Spacechem (algorithmic puzzle game, will destroy your brain), Machinarium (point-and-click adventure), Eufloria (light strategy), or Splice (ambient puzzler). I never buy stuff from Google Play, though, so I'm not up to date on mobile exclusives.

• 1-800-SCABIES

I actually meant "tablet" games or mobile games.    :P  Mild case of TWI:  Typing while intoxicated.   One goddamn wine-cooler and I'm use'n the wrong word and shit like a mo-fo.   :-D  Sadly that's due to adhering to the strict LDS "no alcohol" rules for most of my life... and just when I discovered the joys of an occasional drink with friends my kidneys joined a union.   

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Teamsters?  They travel in pairs...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I really like Osmos HD and Flow. And various card games, but there are a million of those out there.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Eufloria

Buy it. SRSLY.

I may be biased, though. I made quite a few levels/tools for the PC version.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Teamsters?  They travel in pairs...

They cost me $20,000 a year for both and I get less than half-effort out of them.    That's up $5 grand from last year, and now they do even less.   Clearly I need to hire a better negotiator.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I really like Osmos HD and Flow. And various card games, but there are a million of those out there.
I liked Osmos too, but it goes on to be quite a hectic game and I'm not sure how it holds up with touch controls. I admit I haven't tried it, but I expect it to be much better on a PC, like a lot of multiplatform mobile games.

• 1-800-SCABIES

I've used Winamp on PC for years,  figured I'd download it for Android.     Turns out the free version is crippled to the point where the default music player is far and away better.

Kingston Office has proven to be pretty good now that I have it configured.  Snapseed is "good enough" for the photo-stuff I need to do.

So that leaves a 3D viewer of Sketchup Files, and some games along with a music player.   Making good progress here.

One gripe I have with this tablet is you can't run apps from the external card like "some" models can.   Nor can you access more than 512 meg of memory for app storage, and there is only 256 meg for "active apps."     Apparently there is a firmware hack that addresses all this but I'm a bit uncomfortable flashing my brand new toy...  I've heard horror stories of flashings gone wrong.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Update!

I flashed my tablet to increase the amount of memory accessible by the OS.   It was far less difficult than I had envisioned.

For games, downloaded Ocean Tower (Sim Tower Meets Farmvil) and Tank Wars (Artillery game in the same style of Scorched Earth.   Those are my time-waster games for bus-rides, and long waits at various appointments.

I found a stopwatch-countdown timer that has proven very useful, the name of that one escapes me at the moment.   Also downloaded a grocery-shopping/grocery-tracking program called OUT OF MILK.   So far I've set it up to do price tracking and was able to whittle my grocery-bill down a couple of points.   WIN.     Lastly,  I installed the MILLER ARC WELDING app,  it's nice having a quick lookup for welding data even if it is biased twords one specific brand.

Still searching for a music player... haven't found one I like yet.   Nor have I found a Sketchup viewer.  I don't think such a program exists currently.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Did you give JukeFox a try for music?

• 1-800-SCABIES

Yeah.  Too much emphasis on the "magic music playlist dealy" and not enough on the features I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up