THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutest and most wondrous marriage proposal I've ever seen  (Read 4322 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Hey folks. Back in from the wedding and visit home earlier today. Though our 'tribe' has some concerns, it was pretty adorable, and we're happy to welcome our friend's lovely wife to the family. Here's hoping for many long years of happiness and an increase of joy and love in the world. And if I ever get my grubby mitts on the video I might share a few highlights.

That said, being all "oh god I always cry at weddings" makes me think of this lovely thing that...I thought a Cracked article put me on it, but I can't find it there, though maybe I just suck. I'll get back to you as to who gave it to me, but now I give it to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_v7QrIW0zY

EDIT: Ha, got it!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

thats pretty sweet.  :-D
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I hope they went off and had a great party afterward.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

They did 2-3 more videos after that one, and appeared at least a couple of times on the Today show. And after seeing the other videos, I think I'm in love.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

I hope they went off and had a great party afterward.

How could they not? Though the bill had to have been pretty big, because every last one of those crazy lovely people deserve hugs and boozings and whatever makes fun parties.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Did you follow them through YouTube and on from there? They're both actors; it wasn't clear how many of the "cast" were as well. The proposal video didn't show her face very clearly, but both of them sing in the other videos, and she is a very appealing cutie; of course they're great together. On the Today show, she had hostess and staff (I presume) dancing with her.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Dancing juice? 

Dancing Jews? 

Really? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

In contrast: Possibly the most scariest and horrible proposal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Honestly, I much prefer that to the one at the start of the thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I wouldn't say yes to either of them, frankly. Proposals, like prayers, should be said in private.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
Re: Cutest and most wondrous marriage proposal I've ever seen
« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:14 »

I think the second is funny from the outside and the girlfriend took it in good form. Although it just seems like a big manipulation to me. "I thought you were horribly injured or dead so I have to say yes because I now realise you could be gone any second."
I have the same problem with this story (Warning: The Sun). Especially this bit:
"...I wanted her to realise how empty her life would be without me and how life would have no meaning without me. "

I think a proposal at a party with close friends and family would be acceptable, preferably not with a big toast type thing though or if there were a lot of extended people, coworkers, acquaintances, friends of friends type people.
Ideally yes though, it would be in private. If in a public place, like a park or restaurant, it can still be done without getting the attention of every person around.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:26 »

I wouldn't say yes to either of them, frankly. Proposals, like prayers, should be said in private.
That's no fun.  :wink:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:27 »

The thing about proposals in private is after you get to go around to everyone and be all YAY! telling them. You don't get to do that if they were there. I guess you could but not to the same extent since people could say, "We know. We were there." Thunder breakers.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:28 »

You also get to say "I'm sorry but I'm not sure I'm ready to answer that question" or just flat out "no" if that is your honest answer.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:36 »

And you don't get to say that in public?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:42 »

Well it's just a lot more pressure if there's been some ridiculous pomp and circumstance and all these people standing round smiling and waiting to hear you say yes. If I get engaged, I'd want it to be after a discussion and careful thought. I guess you could have all of that and then once you'd agreed that you wanted to get married, have the ridiculous proposal, but I would find it mortifyingly embarassing. I hate it when people sing happy birthday to me, never mind singing and dancing proposals.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:44 »

usually a the proposer should already know the answer before proposing. :psyduck: 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:51 »

And I'm sure that was the case in the first proposal. Isaac knew Amy would say yes. I'm sure the rest of the participants did as well. Since a number of those folks were in theater, as was the fiancee, I doubt there was any chance of awkwardness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:54 »

While I wouldn't have done it in that order later, I asked my first wife's father for permission to ask her to marry me; I was actually (and naively) surprised when he produced a waiting bottle of champagne from the fridge...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2013, 08:19 »

I'm pretty sure I asked both fathers-in-law. The first one shed a few tears. His wife had died in a car accident less than a year before, which might have had something to do with that.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:34 »

I can't blame you at all for feeling that your own proposals should be like that, goodness knows if I ever end up in that sort of situation I'll probably prefer that for myself.

That said...wet blanket! :o  (<3)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:10 »

I also asked permission, which I happily recieved.  I then proposed when I picked her up for lunch from the beauty school, in front of all the old ladies. 

With lavendar roses. 

Which I get for every anniversary. 

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:43 »

I'm with Barmymoo, I think that proposing in public puts unfair pressure on the proposed to say yes.

Unless you are so completely sure that they will say yes... then do it in public. I think that getting all of her friends involved was a good way to be completely sure she would say yes. I would never agree to help a friends SO propose to them unless I was 110% sure that my friend would say yes.

I would rather have a fun and cute marriage instead of proposal, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:44 »

I agree- it really depends on the person in question as well. If you are doing the proposing, you should know well enough what the person receiving the proposal would prefer.

Nick mentioned a few different ways that he thought about proposing to me but I think the one he picked was perfect. I was sitting at home on a Tuesday night, cutting coupons (naturally) and randomly out of nowhere I hear these silly little beeps and boops. A minute later, I see Wall-E coming around the corner into the bedroom with a ring box on top of his head. :-P

(click to show/hide)

I didn't cry until he told me that he asked my Dad's permission....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:49 »

Lovely! Loving! All of it!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2013, 13:22 »

(click to show/hide)

At which point he threw the ring out of the window and started playing with the box.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2013, 14:38 »

I'd totally marry Wall-E!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2013, 18:36 »

At which point he threw the ring out of the window and started playing with the box.

HA! Awesome.  :-D

I think Wall-E would make a fabulous spouse- he's so dedicated!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2013, 18:59 »

Then there's Chester 5000. Seems to be somewhat more versatile.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2013, 20:13 »

I think that Chester 5000XYV was extremely versatile.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2013, 23:25 »

Proposals, like prayers, should be said in private.
As much as I've always agreed with that (and how it puts unfair pressure on the proposee as you and TRVA said), I honestly can say I would love something like the first video. From it alone, you can tell that everyone was confident she would say yes, and you can seriously tell how much they love each other. Putting that much effort into something that he knew she would love also shows that he knows her taste and thought she deserved something that was right up her alley.

I myself don't really like having a lot of attention on me and would be extremely uncomfortable if someone did this and I wasn't sure about things. But if it was someone I knew for sure that I wanted to be with? Heck yeah. I would love the kind of relationship they seem to have. They really get each other and have lots of fun. :)

I agree- it really depends on the person in question as well. If you are doing the proposing, you should know well enough what the person receiving the proposal would prefer.

Nick mentioned a few different ways that he thought about proposing to me but I think the one he picked was perfect. I was sitting at home on a Tuesday night, cutting coupons (naturally) and randomly out of nowhere I hear these silly little beeps and boops. A minute later, I see Wall-E coming around the corner into the bedroom with a ring box on top of his head. :-P
I didn't cry until he told me that he asked my Dad's permission....
Okay, that's friggin' adorable. >3<

All that being said, I thought the video was very touching, and I don't have a significant other to dream for such things from, so I'm probably full of crap.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:19 »

Give it time.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2013, 09:06 »

I would rather have a fun and cute marriage instead of proposal, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

My daughter's best friend is getting married in two months, she'll be a bridesmaid.  They took dance together, and dancing's been a huge part of the bride's life. 

Her mother has planned an aisle dance - the bride doesn't know.  All the bridesmaids, the groom and groomsmen are in on it, as is the minister...  I'm the backup for giving her away (her father's an alcoholic, and though he's said he'll be there, it's good to have a backup). 

This is the daughter with the wheelchair.  She can walk and even dance on a good day, but if it's not, she's been paired with the large marine groomsman who can scoop her up if necessary and do a few steps carrying her to the end of the aisle (they've practiced this a couple of times). 

I think I need to talk to someone about arranging for a video...
Pages: [1]   Go Up