THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Over/Under on number of Awkward Zone Initiations This week?

None at all.
- 1 (1.2%)
One or two.
- 12 (14.6%)
Three to five.
- 13 (15.9%)
Six to eight.
- 6 (7.3%)
Nine or 10.
- 1 (1.2%)
More than 10.
- 6 (7.3%)
It depends on how much those involved drink...
- 16 (19.5%)
...and on the amount of Spathe Ham consumed.
- 1 (1.2%)
I dunno, but I don't want to see MartenMom drunk.
- 2 (2.4%)
Nor Claire.
- 8 (9.8%)
10 tons of snow will suddenly fall on the cast, dropping the wedding into darkness.
- 6 (7.3%)
Be realistic: more like 5 tons.
- 6 (7.3%)
There are no waffles because you eat Pancakes on Fat Tuesday, so there. :P
- 4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2382-2386 (11-15 February, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 103351 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Hee! So he is!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Claire may have switched to Rum and Coke.   :-D

I wonder if Speed Dating would be a good idea for Veronica    :evil:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person! That was a really good point.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Man, the last time I met someone at the end of a line of cocaine the only thing I fell into was the stool next to me...
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

((((_))))

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Here's an example of one of the more extreme TERFs (Trans Exterminationist Radical Feminists), published without comment.
Even though this woman genuinely wants to see me put in a death camp - I refuse to analyse her features and speculate on timing of hormonal influences in the womb. It would be unethical. If I can show such forbearance, I don't think it's too much to ask of others.

Hi! Just a question: My english ain't perfect so I didn't understand what "Trans Exterminationist Radical Feminist" really means.  :psyduck:

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Man, the last time I met someone at the end of a line of cocaine the only thing I fell into was the stool next to me...

You're talking about furniture, right?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Econoclast

• Plantmonster
  • Liberate tutemet.

If Zoe hadn't told you those photos were of trans or intersex people, you would not have noticed. That was the point. You already said that you only focus on those features because you know the person is trans, so pointing those features out as if it means something is pretty much just insulting trans people for the sake of it.

Er... Honestly? I don't mean to come off as insulting to anyone, but yeah, I would have. Some are pretty convincing, but there's something inherently off about each photo that got me thinking. But then, I'm also the guy who spotted the one cisgendered woman out of an entire lineup of transgendered models without knowing beforehand which was which. I know it's politically correct to pretend that there is no difference, but truth be told, there is. I think it's awful that such differences are met with violence and my heart goes out to all the victims of persecution because of it, but I also think it's awful that we live in a society where we have to pretend there is no difference or get labeled as a bigot, or ignorant, or met with all manner of hostility. Yeah, I know. First world problems. I'm not going to get beat up for my views like a trans-person is going to get beat up for who they are. But still. Nobody should be met with hostility over this -- on either side.

Like Zoe said, people are people. Rather than tiptoeing around the differences, I think we should all be secure enough in ourselves to celebrate them as something that makes us unique.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

... I'm a Rocket Scientist. Not quite in the same league as Hanners' dad though.

An actual launch vehicle rocket scientist, or something more vaguely in that area?

We occasionally refer to ourselves as rocket scientists at work, but we don't build launch vehicles, which no one really does in the UK currently.  We do build space qualified instruments however, so it's probably as near as we get hereabouts (and my boss got written up in the Sunday Times as a rocket scientist, a few years ago).

I don't think anyone in this reality is quite in the same league as Hannelore's father. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

waffles!  :-D
"So...cute..."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

We occasionally refer to ourselves as rocket scientists at work, but we don't build launch vehicles, which no one really does in the UK currently.  We do build space qualified instruments however, so it's probably as near as we get hereabouts (and my boss got written up in the Sunday Times as a rocket scientist, a few years ago).

There's a company near where I went to college that builds space-going stuff out of beryllium. It's on a pokey little industrial estate but it's apparently one of the best manufacturers in Europe or something.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Hi! Just a question: My english ain't perfect so I didn't understand what "Trans Exterminationist Radical Feminist" really means.

I don't know if the term was just invented for that post, but I take it to mean: "Radical feminist who believes in exterminating trans* people".  The point that some feminists are as intolerant towards trans* people as they feel the world is towards them has been remarked on before in the recent discussions in this forum.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

There's a company near where I went to college that builds space-going stuff out of beryllium. It's on a pokey little industrial estate but it's apparently one of the best manufacturers in Europe or something.

If we had our own building, instead of being part of a much larger institute, it would be pretty pokey!  Currently the entire lab, is twelve people (working on five active spacecraft missions, and a handful of other projects not directly related to specific spacecraft) which is the largest we've ever been.  We have one laboratory with a clean room, four small offices, and a storeroom for components and servers.  Not exactly glamorous. :)

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I think you win the thread. You get this as your prize:

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

An actual launch vehicle rocket scientist, or something more vaguely in that area?
Haven't done work on miitary missiles for some time - last work was on FedSat and MESSENGER, both  civilian payloads. Though technically some attitude control systems use thrusters... Before that, trajectory modelling for actual rockets, yes. All Endo-atmospheric though.

I headed the on-board computer/spaceflight avionics development team on this one:

One of three microsats boosted with ADEOS on the Japanese H-IIa flight 4

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Hi! Just a question: My english ain't perfect so I didn't understand what "Trans Exterminationist Radical Feminist" really means.

I don't know if the term was just invented for that post, but I take it to mean: "Radical feminist who believes in exterminating trans* people".
No, it wasn't invented for this post, and yes, that's what it means. They want trans people dead. Literally. A "Final Solution". "Morally mandated out of existence".
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

There's a company near where I went to college that builds space-going stuff out of beryllium.

ERK! Be careful with that stuff, the dust is seriously nasty. A fire involving it is particularly serious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

...I also think it's awful that we live in a society where we have to pretend there is no difference or get labeled as a bigot, or ignorant, or met with all manner of hostility.

I took it as more a matter of being urged to ignore the differences for social purposes unless invited.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

I don't even care about the wedding anymore.  What kind of wacky adventures are Faye and Angus having in the city?  How are Dora and Penny holding up at Coffee of Doom?  What hallucinatory monsters have struck Hannelore?  Is Marigold still kicking Dale's ass at Warcraft?  Will Pintsize fall in love with his reflection in a mirror?
Last time Marten left, they had to fight off the Pintsize Apocalypse. This time, maybe Godzilla? Something organic, anyway.

I find referring to New York as THE city rather interesting, especially since it's done in-comic by people who are what, 150 miles from it? I live a couple counties away from LA, but no one calls it anything but LA or Los Angeles. I mean, sure it's big, but it's not like every other community in New England is a hamlet.

Unless I'm massively wrong and they and you are talking about Springfield or something.

Boston.    Boston was THE CITY when I lived in Mass Of Chew Shits.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

((((_))))

Is that a Rolex?     :-D
James The Kugai 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Thank you, thank you very much.  I'm here till Friday.
James The Kugai 

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Haven't done work on miitary missiles for some time - last work was on ... and MESSENGER ...
We've got hardware on Bepi Colombo, so different spacecraft, but the same target (once Bepi is launched).

One of three microsats boosted ...
We've built the magnetometers (which is our speciality) on the CINEMA spacecraft, a 3U CubeSat, the first of which was launched last year as part of the secondary payload package on NROL-36.  There are two more CINEMAs to be launched shortly, from Korea, and then the final one will be launched from the US, as was the first.  Berkeley's SSL has been leading this, they built the first spacecraft and it's particle sensor, STEIN.

Anyway, back to QC.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Is that a Rolex?     :-D

If only. It's a pun jar being shaken. :D

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

This thread is like bowling, then, where you can win on a strike?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

ERK! Be careful with that stuff, the dust is seriously nasty. A fire involving it is particularly serious.

A group of us were actually invited to go and look around and were told of the dangers of the dust. Of course, after that everyone was sure that they had inhaled it whenever they so much as had to clear their throat.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

For something I was designing (many, many moons ago), beryllium would have been the perfect material.  However, there was no chance at all that we were going to use it. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Dilithium crystals have a better usable mass-energy ratio. Just be sure to re-energize the flux capacitor. :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

• 1-800-SCABIES

A group of us were actually invited to go and look around and were told of the dangers of the dust. Of course, after that everyone was sure that they had inhaled it whenever they so much as had to clear their throat.

No worse than magnesium in regards to fire,  just have plenty of sand and a Type D handy rated for Beryllium.      It is toxic,  but it's no more dangerous than any other heavy metal if you use the proper precautions.

Now Copper-Beryllium,  that's some nasty shit.    Awesome heat-transfer properties, but it's so goddamn toxic no one wants to machine it.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Is copper-beryllium a hard or soft compound? Because I could see encasing it in a flame-retardant lacquer as a precautionary measure after manufacture.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Beryllium's not a heavy metal /nitpick.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Beryllium's not a heavy metal /nitpick.

Indeed.    However the precautions for avoiding exposure are similar to that of heavy metal exposure...   I wasn't clear.  ;)

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Well. the NES Protector did OK with it.
James The Kugai 

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

Rather than tiptoeing around the differences, I think we should all be secure enough in ourselves to celebrate them as something that makes us unique.

Yeah, well, not all of us have the luxury of celebrating our "differences", especially when we have to put up with people shoving them in our faces as examples of how we're inherently "off", and then whining about how PC and hostile everyone is to you dissecting their features for clues.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I do see both sides of this exchange ...

It strikes me as too much to ask of trans people to distinguish between normal curiosity and hostile scrutiny in a world where they can't even be "secure" against being tortured, raped, and murdered.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...dissecting their features for imaginary clues.

Sorry, had to add that.  Because the whole facial features thing is, basically, bullshit.  While there are some genetic tendencies towards differences in facial features between the genders, I've seen more than enough faces in my day to know that female faces with male features and vice versa occur regularly, and are well within the realms of normal variation.  I have what have been described as very feminine lips and eyes, and of the five males in my family, only one has a discernible adams apple.  I knew a woman in college who could've passed for a young Abe Lincoln, and one of my wife's best friends looks like she'd be at home in a garden with a conical red hat. 

If you think you can tell, you're wrong.  You may be a lucky guesser, or perhaps you haven't been exposed to a lot of genetic variation in your corner of the world, but you're just... wrong. 

And deceiving yourself. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Sorry, had to add that.  Because the whole facial features thing is, basically, bullshit.  While there are some genetic tendencies towards differences in facial features between the genders, I've seen more than enough faces in my day to know that female faces with male features and vice versa occur regularly, and are well within the realms of normal variation.  I have what have been described as very feminine lips and eyes, and of the five males in my family, only one has a discernible adams apple.  I knew a woman in college who could've passed for a young Abe Lincoln, and one of my wife's best friends looks like she'd be at home in a garden with a conical red hat. 

If you think you can tell, you're wrong.

Pretty much. I know I have slightly more of a brow-ridge and shoulder-width than I would have if transitioning earlier (and get very self-conscious about it), but I've had several other girls I know in my classes who have more of either. Although it's the fact that a lot of the stuff comes from involuntary testosterone exposure, and wouldn't have happened naturally without it, that many don't consider FFS on par with "plastic surgery". Just undoing that damage a bit. Meanwhile I've been straight-up asked by girls, before transition, if I was wearing mascara and other makeup when I wasn't etc.

Quite similar to voices. Male puberty breaks it some, but the actual difference is on average only half an octave and the variance within the sexes are greater than between them (so any given deepness will generally exist on both sides, just to greater/lesser extents). That is a cause for a lot of trouble when trying to deal with your voice, since just going higher doesn't do it, but many fall into that trap; forgetting the importance of cadence and tone along with habits.

I'll toss in Nick Pitera just for being neat here, even if he's obviously not really transitioning his voice. Just been on a Les Mis kick for a year now (Hey, something had to take over after playing the hell out of Wicked). :lol:

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2013, 10:25 by Valdís »
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The voices alone are crazy impressive (except for his Javert, it was good, but he's no Russell Crowe*), but I like how he went above and beyond and filmed himself 9 times for the full 13 minutes of the video, with him patiently waiting for himself to be done singing so the other 8 of him could take their turn (sometimes at the same time, haha).
(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up