THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding!  (Read 8396 times)

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
Welding!
« on: 27 Feb 2013, 19:37 »

Not much call for writing in molten metal,  directly overhead,  using an arc-welder...   But class was boring tonight and I watch lots of Star Trek and this happened.

P02-27-13_22-01 by noodle2013, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2013, 19:44 by MillionDollar Belt Sander »

Van donk III

• Furry furrier
  • eyeballs.
    • DNKimage
Re: Welding!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:11 »

I need to buy a welder. No real reason; I just like welding stuff.

catflea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:43 »

I welded this beastie up....

It had been in a field for 25 odd years...

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:47 »

That's a pretty cool looking car. What model/year is it and are you going to do a complete overhaul or just have it working?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:58 »

Morris Minor 1000 Traveller - my first car was one of those.  It was dark green, and needed some welding (the floor had rusted through above the insulation panel over the exhaust), but never got it...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2013, 06:14 »

I love cars with wood paneling/framing. Looks so cool.

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2013, 09:54 »

Now that is an interesting car!

...and good to see I'm not the only welder out and about.   I'm scrounging up some metal for a couple of projects.       Plan to make a table out of angle-iron -- that's one of the standard "weld class" projects.   Ms. Beltsander buys/sells/trades/makes "vintage bras and other fine undergarments (*)",  I've sketched out a couple of display-racks/photography stands for her. 

(*) yes this is actually a thing and there are times where she makes more money with the "hobby" than her real job.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:41 »

Now that is an interesting car!

The Morris Minor was designed by Alec Issigonis, the man who a few years later designed the original Mini (originally called the Morris Mini Minor, in fact).  The initial plan was for it to have front-wheel drive, but materials for good-enough constant-velocity joints were not readily available that soon after the war, so the plan was shelved - and came back for the Mini, of course.  But the "Moggie", as it was known, became a truly classic small car, perhaps second only to the Beetle.  It's the only car I can think of whose front suspension is held up, not by coiled springs, but by straight torsion bars.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:09 »

I think I posted about this before, but I have a project that's going to need some welding...

1967, sat in a shed since 1984.  Given to my daughter for her 18th birthday by the person who found it, and hadn't had time to restore it. 

It's a bit of a rustbucket...

But the engine turns (with a wrench), so there's hope! 

So, any advice on the type of welder I need to get to put this little beauty back on the road? 

Or to at least give it a floor...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

catflea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2013, 14:36 »

That's a pretty cool looking car. What model/year is it and are you going to do a complete overhaul or just have it working?

1971 Morris Minor Traveller, one of the last 300 to leave the Factory.  I dont own it any more.  I sold it for approx 20 times what I paid for it and bought a different one...  a 2 door Saloon in Maroon.  Planning on selling that this summer for something wholly different.

Carl-E for car work a MIG welder is probably the easiest.  TBH you describe that as a rust bucket but the beetles over here have pretty much rotted away entirely for the most part

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2013, 18:43 »

Yeah you posted it before,  what a cool gift it will be.

Have a professional do it -- your spawn-unit deserves no less.   You do not want her falling out of the car because the floor came off.    Thin sheet-metal is tricky to weld especially for beginners.    Anything load-bearing or safety-related have an expert do.  :)

As for the engine -- You can rebuild that yourself.   There are TONS of how-to, tutorials, and guides out there for all skill-levels.   Parts are easy to locate too!

I think I posted about this before, but I have a project that's going to need some welding...

1967, sat in a shed since 1984.  Given to my daughter for her 18th birthday by the person who found it, and hadn't had time to restore it. 

It's a bit of a rustbucket...

But the engine turns (with a wrench), so there's hope! 

So, any advice on the type of welder I need to get to put this little beauty back on the road? 

Or to at least give it a floor...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:46 »

I'm going to be learning some basic welding this year, but it's not very common in gunsmithing as a field. (Over all). I would however like to get fully certified once I have the time, just another tool for the box. My sorta girlfriend's a skilled welder though. I keep trying to get her to do metal art, but she gets shy.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up