THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whisk(e)ys  (Read 91676 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Whisk(e)ys
« Reply #300 on: 06 Feb 2017, 09:24 »

First night in Paris I had the most amazing steak I've ever had and tried Lagavulin 16 with it.  It paired nicely with the steak and has now become my drink of choice.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #301 on: 06 Feb 2020, 00:49 »

It suddenly struck me that I hadn't posted or checked this thread in a long while. Now I realise that's because no-one's posted in a long while. Times being as they are, I figure it's time for a revival.

Thanks to Christmas, I currently have three bottles to work my way through. In no particular order:
  • Craigellachie 13 Year Old
  • Talisker Storm
  • Auchentoshan Three Wood

I'm not a big drinker, so it's going to take awhile to get through it all.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #302 on: 06 Feb 2020, 08:00 »

I have three bottles waiting to be opened.  A Jura, which is a common but pleasant tipple, often sold at a discount.  An Old Pulteney 12yo, which I've never had before.  And another first for me: Aberlour A'bunadh, a whisky bottled at cask-strength (61% in this case), which is something I've never had.

Some people seem to see drinking cask strength as a measure of the hairs on their chest; but others say they are only sold like that for poseurs, and that it should be diluted to the normal 40% for drinking (the bottle says to add a dash of water).  Since that involves using local water (or bottled mineral water, I guess) rather than the water at the distillery which is often credited with giving the whisky much of its character, that seems like a net loss to me - but I can't begrudge an otherwise generous gift!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #303 on: 06 Feb 2020, 10:38 »

Anything over 45% in a whisky is vanity points. It's akin to those ridiculously high scoville scale hot sauces. 
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #304 on: 06 Feb 2020, 14:00 »

Got a bottle of Dalwhinnie around Christmas. That one is something. I guess it's just different from what I'm used to, and I just love the honey notes.
I have to restrain myself from getting the bottle, I'd drink it way too fast.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #305 on: 07 Feb 2020, 12:41 »

I'm ending my edition of a Dry January with this fine bottle of Laphroaig Lore. This is much smoother than their regular 10 year old (which is still a very fine single malt). The prize (99€/bottle) no longer makes me blink, but it does mean that I intend to cherish it rather than consume it. Also, I will double check what this does to my sleep hygiene. Last year I started suspecting that there may be a correlation between less than ideal nights and consecutive 2-finger evenings.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

cybersmurf

« Reply #306 on: 07 Feb 2020, 13:15 »

The prize (99€/bottle) no longer makes me blink, but it does mean that I intend to cherish it rather than consume it.

Funny thing how much things like that can change. A decade back I was like "why would I ever spend more than 25€ on a bottle of Whiskey? There price increase can't be a quality increase.", but these days I know better.
I haven't arrived at the 100€ barrier yet, there's plenty of good stuff in the 50€ range.

Also, I will double check what this does to my sleep hygiene. Last year I started suspecting that there may be a correlation between less than ideal nights and consecutive 2-finger evenings.

I pretty much have been there. You don't need a hangover to have a bad night, and following day.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #307 on: 07 Feb 2020, 13:57 »

I haven't had the Laphroiag Lore yet, but I'll check to see if one of the local bars does on their half-off nights.  I've had their 10, their 15, and the Quarter Cask.  The 10 is alright, IMO.  I much prefer the Ardbeg 10 at that price-point.  The 15 is a great one that I'd keep at home at all times if I could afford to, and the Quarter Cask is only for when I'm in the mood to as one bartender put it to me as "giving rough prison sex to an oak tree that's slapping you with its branches as it comes".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #308 on: 07 Feb 2020, 21:18 »

I have not had the Laphroaig Lore, either.  I do drink Laphroaig, though, preferring the Triple Wood.  However, Triple Wood has not been available for the last few months at my liquor store.  (I may have to try somewhere else.)  So I am drinking Select right now and I like it.  I have not seen any Lore at my liquor store, so again I may have to try elsewhere. 

I have tried the Quarter Cask, and it is pretty tough, all right.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

cybersmurf

« Reply #309 on: 08 Feb 2020, 09:33 »

Dunno, I like the quarter Cask. In low doses.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #310 on: 08 Feb 2020, 11:08 »

Heh.  I never said that I didn't like it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #311 on: 08 Feb 2020, 22:57 »

Anyone else tried The MacCallan 12 Year Old? I've only had one glass so far, but it was really enjoyable. Bit spendy, though, so I will be taking my time with the bottle. 
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #312 on: 09 Feb 2020, 10:39 »

Anything over 45% in a whisky is vanity points. It's akin to those ridiculously high scoville scale hot sauces. 
Sounds like someone's never had Booker's. It's like 63% and it's quite good. Also, I've rather liked the cask strength scotches I've had.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #313 on: 09 Feb 2020, 11:00 »

I'm not saying they can't be good, it just feels like often they're doing it for bragging rights rather than to make it as good as possible.
@syleegrrl

cybersmurf

« Reply #314 on: 10 Feb 2020, 14:55 »

I once had the ... joy of ... I actually forgot. Some Bourbon between 120 and 140 proof. I was surprised how much you could still taste.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #315 on: 10 Feb 2020, 20:27 »

It might have been Booker's!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #316 on: 16 Dec 2020, 13:56 »

I have not had the Laphroaig Lore, either.  I do drink Laphroaig, though, preferring the Triple Wood.  However, Triple Wood has not been available for the last few months at my liquor store.  (I may have to try somewhere else.)  So I am drinking Select right now and I like it.  I have not seen any Lore at my liquor store, so again I may have to try elsewhere. 

I have tried the Quarter Cask, and it is pretty tough, all right.

Our local monopoly chain recently added Triple Wood to their selection. It may have been on their list longer, but the store I use didn't have any until this year. Anyway, it is an interesting variant. I discovered that Triple Wood goes well together with cold coffee on the side! This was more or less by accident. I went through the opening ceremony, and only then noticed that my "on the side" tumbler has cold coffee in it. And I rarely want to throw coffee away, so I decided to risk it :-)
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Gyrre

« Reply #317 on: 20 Dec 2020, 20:42 »

Spaghetti Western:
  • one part Root 100
  • one part sarsaparilla of your choice (I recommend Frostop brand)

Wilford Brimley:
  • one part Root 100
  • two parts sarsaparilla of your choice (I recommend Frostop brand)

EDIT: changed drink title color to be more readable for folks using the QC-light theme.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2020, 06:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #318 on: 23 Dec 2020, 11:58 »

Sounds delicious, but holy shit that yellow is hard to read with the background I have.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

« Reply #319 on: 24 Dec 2020, 06:24 »

Sounds delicious, but holy shit that yellow is hard to read with the background I have.

They are.

Sorry. I didn't realize anyone on this forum ever actually changed their settings from the dark theme.

EDIT: I hope that helped.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #320 on: 28 Dec 2020, 06:30 »

Yeah, I changed it so long ago that I always forget it's not the standard until I get logged out from time to time. Thank you!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #321 on: 28 Dec 2020, 06:59 »

Got a nice bottle of Jameson Crested in my home office.

Notes of wood, fruit, spice and chocolate notes, all set against a sherry soaked cask undertone. Warms as you sip it and brings a pleasant heat to the sinuses. Perfect for a winter's evening.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #322 on: 28 Dec 2020, 07:45 »

That does sound quite lovely.  I’ll be glad when one local pub can reopen, since their whisky Wedsesdays let me actually afford the good stuff.

Gyrre

« Reply #323 on: 28 Dec 2020, 09:17 »

Yeah, I changed it so long ago that I always forget it's not the standard until I get logged out from time to time. Thank you!

You're welcome ^-^

Had a pricklypear schnapps. Wasn't bad. Probably should have mixed it with a lemon-and-lime soda pop.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up