THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Big Fat Beer Thread  (Read 104727 times)

Aethien

• Curry sauce
The Big Fat Beer Thread
« on: 04 Mar 2013, 15:16 »

Because there's a whiskey thread but not a beer thread? Unacceptable.

Also, if I recall correctly, Marten and company have spent some time drinking fancy beers (and Will works at said bar, I think?) so why not talk about those beers?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: The Big Fat Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2013, 00:36 »

*chugs*

Had some Samuel Adams this weekend. I'd forgotten how much I love beer.  :-\

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2013, 02:39 »

I only recently had my first Boston Lager. Mostly because while it's pretty good it's not that great and it's fucking expensive on this side of the ocean. Still, at least I can say I tried it now.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2013, 02:49 »

Stouts. mmmmmm

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2013, 02:58 »

Left Hand Milk Stout <3

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2013, 09:20 »

mmmmmm, and Old Rasputin, and Founders Breakfast Stout

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2013, 10:18 »

I haven't had a chance to try Old Rasputin yet. I've had Founders Breakfast Stout and KBS though, sadly no CBS but maaaaaybe if I can score some of Cantillon's Lou Pepe and Fou' Foune this year.

Still, I'm quite happy to have had KBS, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Great Divide's Yeti and Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti and Jester King's Black Metal (old one, not farmhouse) whilst living halfway across the world from where they're brewed. I'd love to try so many more but at least I get easy access to De Molen's fancy stouts. :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2013, 01:08 »

I work one day a week at a beer store.  This is PA, one of the last two states to have state control of alcohol.  Liquor and wine are only from state owned stores, and beer distributors are licensed by the state and only sell cases.  You can buy sixpacks at bars and some licensed restaurants.  It's weird.  You can't get beer (or wine) at a grocery or convenience store. 

Most of what we sell is run of the mill american sex-in-a-canoe (it's fucking near water).  The stuff that looks the same going in as it does pissing out.  But we have a few cases of more interesting beers - still pretty run of the mill by comparison to the craft brews you mention. 

Thing is, a case is too much of an investment for something untried, in my book.  And I don't do bars. 

However, there are days I think I need to start drinking more...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2013, 01:45 »

PA is Pennsylvania? Because in that case your state is home to Tröegs, Victory, Weyerbacher, Yuengling and 125 other breweries that I don't recognize.

You could always check out the breweries themselves to try out their beers.
Although I don't get why as a state you'd limit the stores to only selling by the crate, that's just stupid. I'll help you hope that the laws on that will see change soon.
And while not quite legal (for the company anyway), I think Halftimebeverage does ship to PA, so that's a way to try singles. Ordering beer still requires a fairly large investment to make the shipping costs worth it but at least you won't get 24 of the same beers. :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:55 »

I have Yeungling Lager every Monday night at poker.  It's yummy... I hear the Black&Tan's quite good, too.  We also have Straub's, which is another old local brewery. 

The governor's trying to change the law to make more money for the state by selling more licenses.  The beer distributors (including my employer, a good friend from church) are concerned about losing their businesses...

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2013, 05:43 »

I'd say allowing shops to sell singles and/or sixpacks would work better, especially since that helps out craft beer and craft beer has been growing at an average of 12% each year for the past couple of years while the beer market as a whole has stagnated.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2013, 09:24 »

Craft beer and all this fancy stuff is rather uncommon here, due do the German "Reinheitsgebot". Some time ago it only allowed only water, hops and barley as ingredients of German beer, currently yeast, wheat malt and cane sugar are allowed as well.

Anyway I'm not much of a beer drinker, but from time to time I really enjoy a beverage of the Flensburger brewery. The Pilsener is amongst my favourites, and the Dunkel is great as well. Also we're rather close to Flensburg, so the availability is high.
Yesterday I tried a anniversary beer of them, they call it "Edles Helles", which was really good.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #12 on: 06 Mar 2013, 09:43 »

You guys still invented stuff like Rauchbier even with the strict limitations on beer, which is all kinds of awesome but unfortunately, right now Germany is years behind on the whole craft beer thing. There are a few small breweries (BrewBaker, Fritz, Freigeist Bierkultur) making innovating beer but lots of German beer is stagnant and pretty much exactly like every other German beer in that style. Much like what has happened in Belgium where there's dozens of "abbey" brands that all make the same sweetened blonde, dubbel and tripel.

Where countries like the USA had a beer landscape that was so flat that it pretty much started a revolution of craft beer and countries like Italy, Norway and Denmark had little to no tradition to keep them rooted in one place and see more experimental breweries because of that Germany has a beer culture that is still reasonably varied and a very strong tradition that more or less locks it into place. It's going to take a while and quite a bit of influence from neighboring countries before Germany sees more craft beer.

But until then, you'll at least have wonderful breweries like Heller-Trum/Schlenkerla, Weihenstephan and Schneider & Sohn to tide you over.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #13 on: 06 Mar 2013, 10:06 »

Aethien, I wouldn't be too quick with that particular remark. Belgium has in the last few years enjoyed something of a beer renaissance. there's a few hundred beers which would beg to differ.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #14 on: 06 Mar 2013, 11:13 »

Belgium does have some innovative brewers, innovation is more part of the tradition of brewing in Belgium though, and the famous brewers from Belgium are still mostly brewers who brew traditional styles, with some exceptions of course and there's much more innovation within those styles.

My comment was mostly about Germany though, not really about Belgium.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:49 »

There is only one true dark beer

Guinniss.

That is all.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 06 Mar 2013, 17:07 »

« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 09:02 by Aethien »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #17 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:37 »

Guinness Extra Stout, in my opinion.

I personally have a preference for dark beers; typically ones with a sweeter flavor, like a dunkelweizen.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:42 »

My favourite is Guinnness Special Export Stout. Especially because I can get it pretty damn cheap. Best price to quality ratio short of Duvel.
Also, the new Duvel Tripel hop should be arriving in my neck of the woods soon. I hope it's as good as the last one.

And I'm currently getting drunk(er) on Flying Dog's Raging Bitch. Life's good.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #19 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:48 »

I just looked up how to say "Zum Wohle!" in Dutch.

Proost. Proost, Geluk, or Gezondheid
Dutch (Flemish) Proost
Gezondheid (to your health)
In pure dutch (netherlands) you should say, 'gezondheid' but more common is 'proost'. Any othter expresion in any language can be and will be used. As long as we can drink it will be OK.

x)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #20 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:55 »

That's pretty much true.

Skål!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #21 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:57 »

Iechyd da!

Slainte! 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #22 on: 07 Mar 2013, 23:55 »

Rampage Imperial IPA. Yeah, 2x hops. 9.0%ABV. Black Diamond Brewing Co., Concord, CA

If I were to tell you how strongly I feel about this beer, you would all think I'm a raging alcoholic. I want to marry it but I think that's illegal.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

catflea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #23 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:04 »

Old Tom is one of my favourites at the moment,  alongside Batemans Mocha Beer....

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:24 »

I hear the Black&Tan's quite good, too.

Can vouch for this, it's great. I just wish they sold Yuengling in MA, I hate having to go to New York to get it.

Sadly, I think my two most favorite beers on the planet are PBR and Newcastle Brown.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:50 »

Sadly, I think my two most favorite beers on the planet are PBR and Newcastle Brown.
Hipsters...  :roll:

Nah, jut kidding. everyone needs a cheap and simple lager every now and then. Now, if Flying Dog's Underdog was around the same price mark (or even twice as expensive) I'd just get that.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:56 »

I think the best cheap and drinkable beer is Spotted Cow, made by New Glarus in Wisconsin.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 08 Mar 2013, 09:02 »

I've never even seen a New Glarus beer... :(
They don't make it across the ocean I think.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 08 Mar 2013, 09:39 »

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beercategory/year-round-beers

Yeah, I think they are only licensed for distribution in Wisconsin.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #29 on: 08 Mar 2013, 09:45 »

yeah, there's not much that makes it here. Although some shops do get a bunch of west coast beers.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 08 Mar 2013, 10:13 »

Fat Tire Ale, from the New Belgium Brewery.  Several years ago I was in Fort Collins for the AP exam readings, where New Belgium's located.  It was strictly local back then, but with the craft beer craze of late, I've seen it in other places.  It's delicious, and I love the label, too...

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #31 on: 08 Mar 2013, 11:09 »

As an inhabitant of the most bike friendly country in the world I can't possibly dislike that beer.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #32 on: 11 Mar 2013, 16:50 »

There is only one true dark beer

Guinniss.

That is all.
No. Bad.

New Belgium made a limited run of s'more stout, it was like drinking a smore with 9.6% av. You wouldn't want to drink more than one, but that one was amazing. Guiness is too bready for me, I prefer dark beers with flavor.

Did I mention that I live where they make New Belgium? And that they are probably one of the more mediocre breweries around here?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 12 Mar 2013, 16:36 »

Rampage Imperial IPA. Yeah, 2x hops. 9.0%ABV.
Nice, I love IPAs, especially the Imperials, and I always like trying new ones. I'll try one of those once I start drinking again. (In case that last sentence gives the wrong idea, I stopped entirely to reduce calories)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 12 Mar 2013, 16:54 »

Where I can't get Guinniss, I go for Speights Old Dark
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #35 on: 12 Mar 2013, 18:17 »

Weihenstephan
Nom.

I enjoy a nice dark beer every once in a while when I get sick of girly drinks :-P Guinness Extra Stout is indeed a great one (as are these deliciously ridiculous concoctions). A local brewery makes a pretty good stout too- Mother's Milk. A friend gave me a growler for my birthday and ohhhh mannnnn good times. They also make a similar brew- Joe Mama's Milk- same thing but with coffee added.

When I'm not in the mood for a dark beer, I like the fruitier stuff- Magic Hat #9, Woodchuck Cider....and I've never met a lambic I didn't like.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Nikolai

• H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #36 on: 06 May 2013, 07:49 »

I think the best cheap and drinkable beer is Spotted Cow, made by New Glarus in Wisconsin.

I am finally back in WI now and I have been looking forward to Spotted Cow for the two years I've been out of state.

I have a weak spot for Shiner Bock, (brewed out of the Shiner Brewery in Shiner, Texas  :psyduck:)

In a few weeks I'll be stationed in Colorado, which I hear has the highest number of craft breweries per capita in the country. Bring on the beergut!

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2013, 09:36 »

There are a ridiculous number of micro brews in the pacific northwest.  Boise has some truely great ones including Crooked Fence and Payette brewing.  Their respective porter and IPA are my favorite I have tried and are available in cans at most grocery stores.  With so much selection and rotating taps all around the city it is hard not to be a beer snob.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 06 May 2013, 09:59 »

Damn it, this thread is making me sad I'm still on my stupid diet >_<

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 06 May 2013, 13:56 »

I'll be getting more hours at the Beer Barn now that schools out.  But my friend the owner is thinking of selling, because PA is changing it's prohibition era beer and liquor laws, and most of the changes would put her out of business anyway. 

Thing is, I can think of a dozen ways to make it work with the new laws... but she's near retirement, and I don't think investing in the business is on her priority list. 

As a beer distributor in PA, we can only sell by the case.  The only places that can sell six packs are licensed bars and restaurants.  That restriction would be gone, and if the store is larger, with six-pack coolers, specializing in micros and imports along with the locals and big sellers - to really become THE Beer Barn, with monthly tastings...  business would take off, and make the 20-times more expensive licensing worth it. 

We'd be competing with groceries and convenience stores (including Wal-Mart and Sam's club - ack!), but that's where specializing in the good stuff comes into play... let them sell the miller, bud and Sam Adams. 

Nikolai

« Reply #40 on: 06 May 2013, 13:58 »

While I was out picking up some Spotted Cow today, I came across a case of Sprecher's Hard Root Beer. I'd never heard of this before. It counts, sorta, right?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 06 May 2013, 14:03 »

Hard = alcohol, so yes. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #42 on: 06 May 2013, 15:35 »

It equals alcohol...but does it equal beer?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nikolai

« Reply #43 on: 06 May 2013, 15:44 »

It's technically a "flavoured malt beverage", but it has beer in the name. That equals beer, right? :P

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #44 on: 06 May 2013, 15:54 »

Yuengling is pretty good... it would be nice if it was available in Oklahoma (that will happen around the 12th of Never...) Of the beers available here, I usually end up getting Shiner Bock, unless I'm at a bar that offers the local microbrew (I've forgotten the name of it).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #45 on: 06 May 2013, 15:55 »

Oh man, it's one of the few advantages of living in Jersey. It's one of our cheaper beers, and probably the cheapest thing I'd gladly drink.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #46 on: 06 May 2013, 22:18 »

Hard Root Beer? Do want.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Nikolai

« Reply #47 on: 07 May 2013, 06:38 »

It was quite tasty. Today, I'm thinking about making a Hard Root Beer float...

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2013, 18:12 »

It wasn't that long ago that Yuengling first became available here in Ohio. A couple years maybe? I don't mind it, not my first choice at all, though.

IPAs are fucking disgusting. That is all.

I really do like the Left Hand Milk Stout.

A really weird one (with rather limited distribution) is Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. A local restaurant actually had it on tap a couple weeks or so ago. :D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2013, 20:01 »

IPAs are fucking delicious. That is all.
Very true. I also would have accepted "delightful". :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up