THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 8279 times)

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Hearthstone
« on: 23 Dec 2013, 15:23 »

So everybody who signed up on battle.net as interested in the Heartstone beta has now received an invite. This includes me.

If you've been sleeping under a rock, Heartstone (Heroes of Warcraft) is Blizzard's online, free-to-play CCG. It bears slight resemblance to Magic, but is much, much more fast-paced and a lot easier to play. And man, is this game fun as fuck. I lost time until 5am last night. Does anyone play? Does anyone want to hit it up on battle.net and try some games? Cause this is dooope.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 15:31 by Aimless »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Heartstone
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2013, 15:52 »

It's Hearthstone by the way, not Heart. :) I'm signed up and all but I haven't seen anything about a beta invite yet... I'll go poke them again and see if I can get one. I've been wanting to try it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2013, 16:03 »

I've been playing it for, I don't know, a week or two, three. My name is Hemogoblin#2461. Yes, you need the number if you want to add someone as a friend. I'm slowly gaining more cards to make better decks... I think. I've been getting my ass handed to me in 80% of matches in the past two days, and arena runs have been going rubbish as well. Maybe I'm just getting sloppy.

If you add me as a friend we can play against each other directly but your only reward for doing that is XP. Friendly matches do not count toward quest progress.

There are hidden quests granting you rewards which you might want to know about, listed here. That's one of the Hearthstone wiki's available, the other is at hearthstone.wikia.com. Don't ask me which one is better.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2013, 16:44 »

It's Hearthstone by the way, not Heart. :) I'm signed up and all but I haven't seen anything about a beta invite yet... I'll go poke them again and see if I can get one. I've been wanting to try it.

If you're signed up through gmail, the invitation goes into the promotions folder instead of the inbox. That might be it.

Also name fail :p

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2013, 16:55 »

Cross posting this from another forum because it's too good not to share. I mentioned I had a losing streak but I just played a match against a paladin with a rogue that made up for everything. Pulled off combo's I couldn't believe. Mana Addict really carried the game. It's a 1/3 that gains 2 attack for a turn when a spell is cast, and the buff stacks. I was able to cast three spells in one turn that gave the mana addict +2 attack each, making it a 7/3. There was a tauren warrior, a young priestess with divine shield, an argent protector and a 2/2 recruit on the board, which I cleared with fan of knives (to ping off the shield), deadly poison, blade flurry. Hit him for seven. Two turns later I had a ravenholdt assassin on the board and my opponent had played three more minions, on which I used betrayal for +2 on the mana addict, attacked with the assassin, then shadowstepped the assassin for another +2 on the mana addict, attacked for 5 and played the assassin again. The turn after I gave the mana addict cold blood, which adds 4 attack, for a total of 7. That's when he killed it with a hammer of wrath and played a defender of argus to give two minions taunt (and one divine shield) in a desperate attempt to save his remaining 3 health. But I Assassinated them both and delivered the killing blow with the ravenholdt. That was insane.

If you haven't played the game a lot this probably doesn't make much sense but I assure you, it was quite a spectacle.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2013, 16:58 »

I'll post my battletag once i have acces to my laptop, don't have it here on my phone. Been playing for abot two months now, and it's fun as fuck. My warlock deck is pretty strong by now, out of 9 games yesterday I won 8. Best arena run so far was 5 wins with kind of a mind- control priest deck.
Anyway, I'd love to play against some of you guys. :)

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2013, 17:10 »

At lower levels, nobody expects flamestrike. It's a very basic card, but I've won quite a few games by surviving on taunts until they've got their stuff out, flamestrike it away, and kaboom. Maybe it's because I've seen some gameplay from TotalBiscuit and Day[9], but a mage deck I threw together got me a ton of wins right off the bat. People tended to do weird stuff, though, so that's probably half the victory. I went arena and promptly lost all three matches in a row.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2013, 17:34 »

Mages are damn annoying anyway. Fireball does a little too much damage in relation to it's cost. 6 damage for 4 mana is capable of destroying most Taunts, especially early on. That alone would be alright, but on top of that come polymorph and flamestrike. I'm always hesistant to play my stronger cards against a mage until I have somehow baited at least 1 fireball and polymorph.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2013, 03:29 »

Got 2 quests that require shaman victories. Shaman just fucking sucks. Hard. Seriously the worst class of all.

Oh, and my BattleTag is ChaoSera#2447, if anyone wants to play.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2013, 04:46 »

Got 2 quests that require shaman victories. Shaman just fucking sucks. Hard. Seriously the worst class of all.
I beg to differ. My last match with a shaman was against a paladin, where I played double bloodlust and hit him for 29 in one turn. Where are your heals now, huh?

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2013, 06:34 »

Sure, there can be some nice combos, and double bloodlust is surely among them. I managed to get my 5 wins eventually too (although 1 of them was because the enemy immediately gave up after the match started oO), but I still hate Shamans. I'll stick to my Warlock.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2013, 06:35 »

ooops!
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2013, 06:10 by snalin »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2013, 06:39 »

I agree that that's annoying. Against a priest try to get minions with 4 attack, he can't instantly destroy them. Still, I think Fireball is too strong for it's cost. Ever been hit with 2 fireballs in a round, especially if he has at least +1 spelldmg minion on the field? You're sitting there, feeling comfortable with your 12-15 health and the mage at 5, and suddenly BAM, you're dead.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2013, 08:43 »

A couple of my friends are playing this, saying it's awesome as fuck. Don't really get it, it's.. playing cards?! (Don't hate me!)
I dunno..

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2013, 06:11 »

I accidentally edited my post above instead of quoting it. GJ, WP myself!

I'm getting tired of Priests just killing whatever with very little cost.

I need a new deck, I think.

And my priest deck is kicking ass. I think the best one was when used Thoughtsteal to pick up one of my opponent's legendaries and Mind Controlled the other one. I know there's a good reason you can't chat directly with your opponent, but I really wanted a "NICE RAGNAROS, NERD!" emote right there.

Another great thing about Hearthstone; if you're getting irritated by something feeling too powerful, you can just play it yourself. Yay!

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2013, 12:43 »

Priests are really fun! Mind control is probably the strongest card in the game, it's its cost got raised to 10 Mana. Used at the right time it can completely turn the game.
Coincidentally I made a new Priest deck today and played a few games. Buffing a Lightspawn to 14 health, and thus giving it 14 damage as well, is insane. Two hits and it's game over. :-D
Also got the Druid Legendary in a pack today, so I might build a new druid deck to try it out. Still saving dust to craft Lord Jaraxxus.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2013, 13:27 »

I played a Priest in arena recently and made the mistake of picking Mindgames. It takes a minion from your opponent's deck and summons it on your side (that means no battlecry). In the two games I was able to use it, it got me a two-cost minion both times. The card itself costs four mana. At least Thoughtsteal and Mind Vision give you the option of when to play the cards (if at all) so that makes Mindgames way too unreliable to be worth using.

Earlier I played my druid deck against a warlock, and I was totally owning that game until about turn seven where I just ran out of cards. He proceeded to play his Lord of the Arena and Stormwind Champion one after the other and I was toast. So I made some tweaks to improve card draw and that worked like a charm. I've risen up almost three ranks with it. The last game was against a mage that tried to rush me down. I took a frostbolt to the face in turn two, which was the biggest mistake of that mage's life, because the turn after that I played a questing adventurer. Without his frostbolt he couldn't get rid of it (only a 2/2!) so after that I played Shattered Sun Cleric, coin, Mark of the Wild. Bam. 8/8 questing adventurer with taunt. Beat the stuffing out of that mage.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2014, 12:39 »

I've played a bit and what I've noticed is that Hunters are completely overpowered... there is rarely anything you can do against them.
Clear out their entire board? They'll just get a new one next turn with mana to spare.  Think you have the upperhand? Here come a bunch of free cards with insane boosts on them.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2014, 09:52 »

I both hate and love this game. Goodbye productivity :'(
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2014, 11:30 »

I tried it, but it felt like a chore to play this game.  :(

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
Re: Hearthstone
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jun 2015, 15:35 »

I've started playing it again, more or less from scratch (switched servers) and am enjoying it a lot more this time around. It is def. a bit of a grind at first, but you quickly get enough of the basic cards to be able to start climbing the ladder in constructed, and also get enough gold to begin playing arena, which can be a lot of fun (if it's not your thing it may be better to either buy card-packs with your gold or buy the expansions, esp. Naxxramas). Amassing enough dust is a pain in the ass but you can have a lot more fun after crafting just a few common and rare neutral cards that fit well with different decks (many guides available). I'm honestly having a lot of fun, it's eating up much of my vacation-time :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am
Pages: [1]   Go Up