THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New! And, uhh, terrible at subject lines.  (Read 7569 times)

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.
New! And, uhh, terrible at subject lines.
« on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:28 »

Hi everybody! I started reading QC about two weeks ago, after seeing a few comics posted here or there on other websites. They were always hilarious, so I thought, why not start from the beginning? Little did I know there were TWO THOUSAND COMICS. I made it through them all in about a week and a half of very little sleep, and I don't regret it a bit.

I think my favorite thing was watching how Jeph's art progressed. It was truly amazing. I kept the first comic open in one tab, and would periodically compare it with the comic I was on to see how things had changed and progressed, and by the time I made it to the end I was amazed! I've recently taken an interest in improving my drawing skills, and seeing that made me feel like it would really be possible - instead of seeing someone's amazing art and just feeling like I'll never make it to that level.

As a musician and music nerd, I was also digging all the music suggestions. However old they may have been at the beginning, Jeph introduced me to a lot of neat bands! And I always got a little excited when he would mention one of my favorites :-P

So a little about me - I'm 21, born in August '91. I've been browsing the threads for a bit, and it seems I might be on the young side of things, haha :) I live in Portland, Oregon (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1919) - although I grew up living in a lot of other places as well (as in 'fourteen different schools before I finished high school' a lot.) I'm a student at the local college, I play a lot of video games, read a lot of books, and listen to a lot of music. I don't watch a lot of TV (didn't grow up with one, as my parents were GIANT hippies), but when I do I tend to be a little obsessed about the show (see: Buffy, Doctor Who, Scrubs).

I love the internet. I love camping. I love webcomics. I love cats! My favorite color is orange, bananas are the most disgusting things on the planet, and I'm terrible at sports. I pick up and drop hobbies faster than something that is really really fast. My favorite QC characters are Penelope Gaines, Sven Bianchi, and Wil.

So there is way more about me than any of you probably ever needed to know! I'm excited to dig around the forums a little more and hopefully join the discussion  :-D

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: New! And, uhh, terrible at subject lines.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:42 »

Mae pawb sy'n caru cathod yn croesawu yma. 

Welcome!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:47 »

Hello and welcome to the forum  :-) .

Glad to see someone else from '91  :laugh: .

Hope you have a good time in here.

Btw, What are your favorite books and videogames?

Seeya.-

PS: Hide your lugwrenches.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:02 »

Hi there!

Well, you being a Whovian is something I could have guessed based on your username…

I'm rather new to this Forum as well, but after a short time I felt welcomed already. (Even though I never opened an introduction thread, and never got my welsh welcoming sentence by celticgeek)

I'm confident you'll like it here!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:09 »

Mae pawb sy'n caru cathod yn croesawu yma.

I find that a love of cats is a pretty wide spread requirement for being accepted on the internet :wink:

Btw, What are your favorite books and videogames?

I'll pretty much play anything my boyfriend buys, which is A LOT. I'm pretty sure his Steam library is reaching 300 games. He goes crazy for the winter sale, haha. But currently I've been playing a lot of Minecraft (just discovered it, and now I'm way too addicted). My go to favorites are GTA, Skyrim, and always Pokemon :-P. But my true loves are usually puzzle games like Portal. I just feel challenged by them in a way that other games can't match.

As far as books go, ahhhhh! I don't ever think I could choose a favorite book. I read so many, it's kind of ridiculous. But the ones I will read over and over the most are Harry Potter, the His Dark Materials trilogy, The Hobbit/LotR, and the Abhorsen series. But I'm sure there are tons I'm forgetting about. How about you? :-)

Also, at the risk of missing something completely obvious, lugwrenches whaaaaa?

Well, you being a Whovian is something I could have guessed based on your username…

Haha, yeah, pretty obvious, I guess :-P I discovered it last year sometime, and just fell in love immediately. I don't think I'll ever get over the loss of David Tennant, haha. I'm currently working through all the old stuff while waiting for the new episodes, which is slow, and tedious, but friggin awesome! And that's good to hear that everyone is so welcoming! I'm excited to jump into the comic discussion, haha. Is a Welsh welcoming sentence a common occurrence? I had to run over to Google Translate, and I hope it didn't screw it up too bad!

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:11 »

Oh, Zelda, I forgot Zelda! Definitely high on my list of favorite games.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:18 »

If I might hijack this, my favourite books are Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Amazing fantasy, comedy and satire.

My gaming habits have gone down over the last few months, as I'm in the middle of my final exams of German gymnasium (high school equivalent) right now. The last game I really enjoyed was Borderlands 2, and before that it was Skyrim. Pokemon's great as well of course. My favourite edition is Emerald.

Well, and I have to admit that I never really found the time to watch through Doctor Who. I've seen all the episodes of Eccleston, and every episode of Tennant, whom I adore, up to Doomsday, on TV, but they never aired the other episodes, and I never had the idea to look for streams online, and now that I had the idea I'm missing the time.

Well, and during my time here, everybody who created a thread here got welcomed by celticgeek, and everybody got the advise to guard ones lugwrench, though I've never understood the latter.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:20 »

Certain people have certain...quirks about them that make lug wrenches a valued commodity around here. As for books, I'm pretty sure you'll have come across them, but if you want a good rich seam of fantasy/satire ore read the Discworld books. Personally, I find the middle and later books best, when the 'verse is a bit more established, but the early ones are good too. Stargate is good if you want another TV series to obsess over.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:25 »

As an introduction to Discworld I always recommend reading the novels in series instead of chronological order. The first books (Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic) are very hard to read if you're not used to Pratchett's style. IMHO the best series to begin with is the City Watch. Relatively sane, and still very fun. Gives a nice introduction into the often used motifs in Ankh Morpork.

tl;dr: Start by reading Guards! Guards!

Found a guide on this: (large image, that's why I put it in spoiler tags)
(click to show/hide)

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:28 »

I've actually had the Discworld series recommended to me quite a lot, yet never got around to reading it. It's definitely going on my to buy list, though!

And ankhtahr, do you have a Netflix account? Because they have up to season six, I think, of Doctor Who, minus two of the specials. It's definitely worth catching up! Tennant may be my favorite, but Smith ain't no slacker :wink: he reminds me a lot of the first Doctor, actually. You should definitely check it out after finals (I'm trying so hard to pretend finals are not happening..!).

And I'll be, uhh, sure to guard my lug wrenches then.. Yep. No one's gettin' near them.

I've seen a few episodes of Stargate, but in no particular order. I'm currently going through Firefly, but I'll have to check that out after  :-D

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:39 »

Stargate is great as well, though I've actually enjoyed Stargate Atlantis more than Stargate: SG1. Atlantis was more sciency, while SG1 is more military oriented.

Netflix isn't available in Germany sadly. Would have to use a proxy or a VPN, and I don't want to spend money on two VPN accounts. I already have one in Sweden…

And what I'm going through isn't quite finals in the sense it's in American high schools. Finals in the way they are common in the US are only common in Universities/Colleges here. In German gymnasien you have only smaller exams (there's no such thing as multiple choice exams here) spread over the years, and at the end of the last year you get to do a few really big exams (in my case three written exams (English, Maths and Physics) and one oral exam (Economy)), and then you're rewarded with the "Abitur" and can go to University.

Today I had my English exam, and wrote 1330 words. Damn, my wrist hurts.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:54 »

Ohh, my bad, I didn't know that! Well if you find a way to watch it, I highly recommend you do  :-)

And if you don't mind me asking, how are they different? Is the last exam you do anything similar to the SAT? Without the multiple choice bits, haha. I'm going through end of Winter term finals in college right now, and they are killing me! I'm doing all anatomy/chemistry courses, and I have never had to put so many hours into studying. It's kicking my ass, but it's really satisfying at the same time!

I took German at my high school (I have not retained very much), and had an exchange student stay with my family. It was really crazy seeing all the differences between our cultures that you wouldn't otherwise think about.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:12 »

Well, basically the exams cover everything you learnt in the last three years. So in Physics it's kinematics, optics, electronics, electric and magnetic fields, quantum mechanics and a simplified Schrödinger-equation. In Maths it's mathematical analysis (calculus), analytic geometry and a little bit of probability theory and statistics.
You have 300 minutes to work on the questions.

Well, and I don't know if it's of any use to you, but here's an example for a question from a "Abiturklausur". The exam consists of two such questions.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:22 »

Kugai melts lugwrenches, but only on the intro thread (so far). 

No one knows why*.  I'm pretty sure no one really cares, either.  Just... stand clear when he shows up.  The heat can be a bit much - he likes to use thermite when it's available. 

Oh, and welcome!  Enjoy the rest of your life waiting for the next comic...

* Personally, I think it's a fetish. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2013, 14:57 »

You hate bananas and love minecraft?  :D I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2013, 15:21 »

(English, Maths and Physics) and one oral exam (Economy)), and then you're rewarded with the "Abitur" and can go to University.

What's the thing you call Economy exactly? "Sozialwissenschaft"?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2013, 15:25 »

I took German at my high school (I have not retained very much), and had an exchange student stay with my family. It was really crazy seeing all the differences between our cultures that you wouldn't otherwise think about.
The conversation about and among cultures makes this forum challenging and fascinating. Welcome!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2013, 18:23 »

And you never know when I'll do it

MUWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA *Cough choke hack*

Anyway, welcome to the station

And watch the shadows, they move when you're not looking.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2013, 20:06 »

Kugai, I think you have us confused with Gunnerkrigg Court.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2013, 21:02 »

Bonjour, enjoy the steak.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2013, 23:23 »

My favorite color is orange
I'm listening.
Quote from: Bad Wolf
His Dark Materials
Wonderful series but I absolutely hate what they did with the movie.
Portal
*swoons*

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:36 »

You hate bananas and love minecraft?   I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Yay! I like new friends :-P ahaha. But seriously, bananas are terrible.

And watch the shadows, they move when you're not looking.

I've got my eye on those sneaky bastards...

My favorite color is orange
I'm listening.
His Dark Materials
Wonderful series but I absolutely hate what they did with the movie.
Portal
*swoons*

I remember seeing the movie when it came out and not being impressed. Especially about the way they did the ending. They remain, regardless, one of my absolute favorites! And oh man, I love Portal. I just bought the second one because I finally have a computer that can run it! Yay!!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:23 »

What's the thing you call Economy exactly? "Sozialwissenschaft"?

Officially it's called "WiPo", which stands for "Wirtschaft und Politik". After grade 11 we had to decide whether to go on in the politics-oriented or the macroeconomy-oriented course. I chose economy, and it's great. Our teacher not only teaches at two schools, but also at a university, so what we learn is rather complex, but he's really good at teaching, and macroeconomics is fun!

But also Portal 2! Yay!
The multiplayer is fantastic as well!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:24 »

I just bought the second one because I finally have a computer that can run it! Yay!!

Good grief, I thought I took a long time to get it! Are you in any of the mapping communities? You don't have to be a Hammer pro, but you can find some cool stuff that the PTI can't cope with if you know where to look.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:36 »

I just bought the second one because I finally have a computer that can run it! Yay!!

Good grief, I thought I took a long time to get it! Are you in any of the mapping communities? You don't have to be a Hammer pro, but you can find some cool stuff that the PTI can't cope with if you know where to look.

I haven't actually had time to do anything but play the first few levels, I've been so busy either studying for finals, or obsessively reading the archives of QC! But I'm really hoping to explore it more next week when spring break starts.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2013, 06:45 »

Really love what Valve did with the Workshop integration in Portal 2. I remember having to install maps manually in my source directory and then starting the maps through some obscure console command. Now you just have to subscribe to content and it appears in your"custom maps" list.
Speaking of custom maps, there was this series of Hammer-created maps for coop, where instead of solving puzzles, you would compete in an obstacle course. Do we have a Portal 2 maps thread in CLIKC? If not, we should definitely start one.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:32 »

Kugai, I think you have us confused with Gunnerkrigg Court.

The Whomawhatnow???!
James The Kugai 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:36 »

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/

Read, enjoy. Read again to get your head around it.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2013, 13:24 »

Hmmmmm

Interesting, but I meant these guys
James The Kugai 

Pages: [1]   Go Up