THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150150 times)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #250 on: 27 Feb 2014, 12:29 »

while I really enjoy the gaming, I find most of my enjoyment comes from vegging out while painting.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #251 on: 27 Feb 2014, 12:45 »

I find completing an army to be the most sublime part of the hobby tbh

Groggy, gonna be at Cold Wars saturday at least.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

« Reply #252 on: 27 Feb 2014, 20:10 »

my attendance is dependant on $$$ showing up.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #253 on: 27 Feb 2014, 21:27 »

So I finished my first Warhammer Fantasy model. I'll take photos tomorrow but I think it's one of my favorite things I've painted so far.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #254 on: 01 Mar 2014, 06:18 »

Critique welcome.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #255 on: 01 Mar 2014, 09:51 »

Well the transparent pipe sticking out of its chest looks silly. Why did you put that on it? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, it looks one awesome bird-cat-dog-horse thing.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Grognard

« Reply #256 on: 01 Mar 2014, 17:05 »

freaking awesome.
the transparent pipe is a Flight Base
this Griffin is in flight...
I really hope I make Cold Wars Saturday.

hope. hope. hope.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #257 on: 02 Mar 2014, 06:11 »

I know that's what the pipe is. That's why I said it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Grognard

« Reply #258 on: 07 Mar 2014, 18:43 »

no $$.
I'm not making COLD WARS this year.
Sorry, GM.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #259 on: 07 Mar 2014, 19:04 »

No worries buddy. I'm not gonna have much free time any way. I'm only up on Saturday and my carpool hauls ass the second we can leave.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #260 on: 08 Mar 2014, 17:42 »

That was a long fucking day.

I may or may not have acquired a star of clan mechs though.

Grognard

« Reply #261 on: 09 Mar 2014, 19:34 »

Didya get a moment to meet with the Battletech guys?

I really wanted to go.... :(

so I did a bunch of painting and mini rebuilding over the weekend.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #262 on: 09 Mar 2014, 20:05 »

I didn't get the chance actually though I did obviously pick up my Summoner, Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Warhawk and Nova Cat (replacing the venerable Mad Dog) from Iron Wind

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #263 on: 10 Mar 2014, 08:31 »

le sigh... I wonder if I'll ever get a full army painted? Marines half done. A ton of Eldar still unassembled and some still waiting paint. Now starting an Imperial Guard force. And on top of that, I may be getting roped into Warhammer Fantasy. At least I have a ton of skeletons already, about half painted up. Wrong base sizes, but that can be fixed. It started out as a 1st edition Fantasy undead army, then got pressed into service as part of a Clan War (Legend of the Five Rings wargame) Shadowlands army. Now I'm taking the skeletons from that force and turning them into a party Cathay undead force using the Tomb Kings army book.

Does anyone have any idea of a typical game size in Fantasy? Like in 40K games are often played around the 1500-2000 point range, at least around here. I have about 1300 points of skeletons before magic items and stuff, according to Army Builder. I'm wondering if that's enough, or if I would need to expand. I'm also wondering if I should pick up the starter box set.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #264 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:20 »

My co-worker informs me 2k-2.5k is pretty standard for Fantasy so you'd probably want to expand. Sounds like you have all your basic troop stuff is taken care of so fun stuff is all you need.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #265 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:33 »

mmmm. Well I have a good amount of your basic sword and spear foot troops. I only have 10 archers and 10 riders though, so I probably need more of those. That's still an investment though, and if I get stuff from the Tomb Kings line, my army will look weirdly eclectic. I have skeletons in samurai armor and in chain/platemail already, as well as bare  naked bones. Some of the special Tomb King units look cool, but do I want to add Egyptian style to that mix?

Honestly, I would probably rather run some variety of Elf, Skaven or Chaos in this league I may be getting involved in. I picked Tomb Kings because I already had the skeletons, and I can't use my archers or catapult in a Vampire Count army. More to think on... Thank you for the information.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #266 on: 10 Mar 2014, 13:02 »

So I thought I couldn't talk about it before, but there's photos and shit up in some place. I want this. I must have it. I've seen it in person and holy fuck. It's fucking HUGE. It's the size of a truck. It's going to need it's own CUSTOM case and foam. I am in love with this model.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #267 on: 11 Mar 2014, 06:10 »

I'd like to put a rider on it
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #268 on: 15 Mar 2014, 21:08 »

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Love_and_Krieg#Those_Idle_Days

This is a thing that exists and I love it

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #269 on: 18 Mar 2014, 13:00 »

That almost orgasmic feel when you get new miniatures!

and that second micro-orgasm when some of that stuff hasn't released yet

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #270 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:34 »

Follow up:

I am really sad Sabol doesn't have Motor Pool transports in stock right now, because I really, really need one, to the point of this being a bit annoying, because they haven't had stock for a while now. I'd say fuck it and get my shit from those sexy people at KR... but I really like Sabol for the big duffles.

I'd also like to lodge a complaint about one of our own minis.

So I got this box, and so far it's fucking awesome. I can't WAIT to paint the female paladin, she's got so much freaking detail I cannot DEAL with it fully. both forms of Lich are epic, the Cleric... looks like he's getting gob smacked but still looks pretty damn good over all, and then there's the Fighter. Not just a fighter THE Fighter. Right down to the gorram winged helmet, however I cannot for the fucking life of me figure out where his goddamn cape is supposed to attach.

Grognard

« Reply #271 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:12 »

I picked up a little something Friday afternoon:
WARHAMMER. The Game of Fantasy Battles. edition?
95%+ complete with the box.
from what I've found googling, it's worth $50 - $75

at the same time, I found TWO Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard Battle Force, in their boxes.
also 95%+ complete with the boxes, but the boxes are beaten up bad.
they're worth $50 -$60 each.

So I guess the question is...
Do I finish the assembly and painting of all the figures?
Or do I leave them 'as is'
which would be worth more to y'all?
either way, i'll be making my money back...

considering I only spent $4 on each box.
   :D

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #272 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:20 »

I'd probably just sell'em blank and unprimed and save yourself the time

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #273 on: 23 Mar 2014, 19:38 »

I would totally take those off your hands for $4 each.. You know. Just so you can get your money back. I'd hate to think it was wasted....

Unless you are willing to invest the time or money for a high quality paint job, I would sell them as is. Unless someone is looking for a pre-built and painted force, then unassembled miniatures are more valued, because then the buyer can put them together the way they want, or use them as parts.

As a serious inquiry though, which models exactly are in each set, and how much are you looking for? I am putting together High Elf and Imperial Guard armies, and always looking for deals.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #274 on: 23 Mar 2014, 20:07 »

I too would like a full listing of the contents of each box...

Grognard

« Reply #275 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:22 »

the WarHammer Fantasy Battles game has the Late Mideval style pikemen, musketeers and cannoneers vs. archer and swordz orcs.

the Imperial Guard Battle Force is Catachans. combined, the two boxes are:
48 infantry (8 of which are METAL hero Catachans)
3 Sentinels
1 Chimera APC
1 LeMan Russ Tank
and a single sprue of Eldar

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #276 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:24 »

Oooh. That's quite a mix. Gotta love the Rambos. Some of that stuff is stuff I've never seen in a Battle Force box... my IG are mostly done and I don't need either of the fantasy pieces so I'll give you first bite Ali.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #277 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:48 »

Hmmm... I'm not sure how that would help. I run High Elves and Vampire Counts in fantasy, so that box set wouldn't help me out. And my Imperial Guard are Cadians. I actually just traded away the two squads of Catachan I had with them. The Sentinels, Chimera and Leman Russ I do need. I'm not sure if that makes up one box, or if the vehicles are split between the two. But if you are willing to part out the vehicles I am interested in them.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #278 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:15 »

Grouping the infantry up, and just selling the vehicles to Neko you should still see a return Groggy.

Grognard

« Reply #279 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:54 »

I'd rather not break up the box sets.  Even with rashed boxes, I'd think they would be worth more if complete.

*unless you're willing to throw stupid money for the vehicles.*

I'll take offers via PM.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #280 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:29 »

Things I Like: Being one day's shipping from the WarStore. Which means getting stuff I need like a can of dunkelgelb spray paint fast quick and in a hurry. Thanks Neil!

Grognard

« Reply #281 on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:54 »

that reminds me.  I've got a package I need to return to them.

I really like the WarStore.  Wish I could make it up there for a game day.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #282 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:33 »

Fuck I really need to start figuring out some more hobby storage stuff... even after I get my hands on my Sabol Motorpool (and I'm strongly considering giving up the ghost and getting a division transport, which is basically fucking luggage) it's already almost completely filled from a few 4" trays (My titans and my Land Raider), my 3" trays (Titan alt weapon arms, one tray of rhinos (2x Sisters, 2x SM) in addition to all that... I have my Gryphon and my squadron of high elf cav, various "desk top" pieces, a star of mechs, a bunch more sisters of battle infantry and my Penitent Engine, which is being kicked out of the main Sisters case to make room for my second Exorcist... then finally I have my German and British Guards armies for Flames that are going to need homes. Thankfully I can probably do those last two in a single KR multicase if any artillery I get shares space with my Guards Tankovy...

All of this is discounting the D&D Dragon, but he's going to need his own hard shell case filled with foam.

I need a hobby shed. I need a house first so I have somewhere to put the shed but fucking hell >.>;

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #283 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:42 »

That's always the problem... Storage and transport. I'm making due with some plastic tubs filled with sabol foam right now. But I really need something for my tanks. I may get some strips of card to divide up some of these empty GW boxes I have laying around. Since they're nice and regular sizes going for foam trays is probably overkill. My fantasy Vampire Counts army is currently occupying some Clan War boxes, but I don't have any room to expand. And with High Elves coming next month... oi....

Grognard

« Reply #284 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:38 »

99% of the time, I take only what I need for that day's game: usually a battalion or less.

the last time I transported all of my painted minis it took me 3 of the heavy duty 18 gallon plastic totes.

..and a hand truck.

I shudder to think what it would take to move ALL of it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #285 on: 27 Mar 2014, 14:40 »

How I used to paint my Tau back in the day

they're up with my brother in main, still unfinished. I was such an amateur painter back then.  Man I wish I was back in the hobby but money has to go to other stuff like food and shelter...
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #286 on: 27 Mar 2014, 20:21 »

Oh dammit, Lee... Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it. I'm going to have to paint up a Clone Trooper/Star Wars Tau army now.... Two of my favorite science fiction things together...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #287 on: 27 Mar 2014, 20:55 »

I'm kinda drooling over a Warriors of Chaos army at the moment... Vikings!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #288 on: 27 Mar 2014, 21:08 »

haha I really wish I could finish them and try some new techniques.  I'd love to put the Tau back together again and finish the army I started.  Fire warriors as clone troopers, stealth squads as commandos, and pathfinders as ARC troopers (would love to paint a fish like their transport in the gif above!).  Oh and the one with the red shoulder pad is the shas'ui and I converted his pulse rifle to have a marker light using the sprues that connect the modle bits together and filing it down to make it look like a scope.  Red added on it because its a targeting laser.

From what I have seen of modern tau armies its all about the suits now.  :-\

here were all my Shas'ui

here is some kroot back when I was experimenting with inks

My brother played Blood Angels and I helped paint some guys.  he was most impress with these that I painted at the time:

I would love to strip the paint and try it all over again now that I understand layers and inks and stuff.

@GM: Awe man, I'd love to put together a Bret army and play you if I could.  Be like viking invasion of france type dealy...but with warhammer and magics.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014, 21:19 by LeeC »

Grognard

« Reply #289 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:16 »

I have a single TAU Battlesuit fresh in the box and a box of TAU XV 25 Stealth team which is complete, but I've had open to look at.  I'm more than happy to sell these.  New retail is $80, but since these have been opened, I'm open to a fair offer.  PM me if interested.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #290 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:51 »

So it's looking like 2 dozen odd assorted armored vehicles is about the limit of what this brand of spray paint can do...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #291 on: 04 Apr 2014, 05:30 »

So. Adepticon is pretty awesome, but fucking terrible on my wallet. I bought a unit's worth of Silver Helms and a classic metal prince to use as my High Helm, and a generic prince/hero character because he was cheap. $25, which isn't bad considering that unit alone is $40 or something new.

I did get a swag bag, no bits this time, but it did have a free miniature for I assume Heldorado, a mini version of the Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood type) rocking a big ass broadsword AND the con exclusive Arcadian female Color Sergeant, from Victoria mini's new line of sensibly dressed female "not IG".

Well I couldn't leave the color sergeant without a squad to back her up could I? and since Victoria's Arcadian females are being released for sale for the first time here at the con... well I couldn't resist. They are pricey no doubt, $50 for a 10 girl squad ($5/mini) is Forge World pricing, the good news is the sculpts are flawless, even my coworker who's a complete Forge World whore is impressed with the quality. Also, if $50 means people get the hint that there is a no shit market for female minis that don't dress like exotic prostitutes, then so be it.

I may have also located some of the Sisters of Battle models I've been trying to acquire for a dog's age. Namely two heavy Flame Sisters, two Melta sisters and some more Sister Superiors.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #292 on: 04 Apr 2014, 07:37 »

*makes "gimme" hands at the awesome miniatures*

Grognard

« Reply #293 on: 04 Apr 2014, 07:44 »

very, very nice.

could easily be used in other game systems.

any of those would work well with the player group I'm setting up.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #294 on: 04 Apr 2014, 09:21 »

*makes "gimme" hands at the awesome miniatures*
I believe you are looking for this:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #295 on: 04 Apr 2014, 10:04 »

Close. Though I was going for more "cute" and less "angry demanding" :)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #296 on: 04 Apr 2014, 10:14 »

better?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #297 on: 04 Apr 2014, 10:40 »

Sure, that works. *flails excitely*

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #298 on: 04 Apr 2014, 14:51 »

Victoria mini's new line of sensibly dressed female "not IG".
And those are 28mm minis? You could have told me they were 54mm and I'd have believed it. And the poses look like the way someone might actually move or stand. Is it me, or do they look like a futuristic version of the Marines from "Full Metal Jacket"?

Edit: Even in the grim darkness of the far future, it seems there will still be bloody Australians!  :lol:
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2014, 15:06 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #299 on: 04 Apr 2014, 15:08 »

look more like classic Cadians to me...who were probably based on the Colonial Marines from Aliens....who in turn were based off Vietnam WAR US soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up