THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150254 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Mini Painting!
« on: 16 Mar 2013, 00:01 »

Does any one else paint miniatures like Warhammer 40k?

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Images spoilered for size
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 17:18 by pwhodges »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:25 »

The spoilers don't seem to work, but those look awesome!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2013, 17:16 »

Does any one else paint miniatures

See here.

NB: You used quotes instead of spoilers - I've changed it to be as you intended.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2013, 18:52 »

Thank you for the compliment PH,  and for the correction Hodges, these painkillers are roflstomping my ability to effectively communicate
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul 2013, 23:11 »

The Forge Worlds have been busy knocking out two rhinos (two of which can become razorbacks) and a Land Raider Crusader. Next up is my first commission... which I'm honestly shocked about, cause really? Me? but any way a friend wants me to paint up a Death Cult Assassin for her to use as a figurine for a Dark Heresy game. Lots of blues will be involved, so it'll be a nice change of pace from the blacks, red and purples that have been my standard recently. I'll be painting the commission while I knock out my objective markers that I mentioned previously. I have four "ammo dumps" and one SM relic.

Spoiler tags as usual to make it a little easier to handle... and a little less painful to load.

Land Raider front: Banner reads "Absolution"
(click to show/hide)

LR Left Side
(click to show/hide)

LR Right Side
(click to show/hide)

LR Back
(click to show/hide)

LR Top View
(click to show/hide)

LR Tech Marine Meltagunner Front
(click to show/hide)

LR Tech Marine Meltagunner Back
(click to show/hide)

Razorback Fronts (scroll reads "Aegis")
(click to show/hide)

Razorback sides
(click to show/hide)

Razorback Backs
(click to show/hide)

Armored Unit Moving Out

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2013, 22:16 »

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2013, 14:26 »

BattleTech CENTURION

BattleTech ZEUS
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Grognard

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2013, 14:31 »

BattleTech Clan Jade Falcon Trinary
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:37 »

Nice to see Battle Tech minis again. That's a game I just don't see much of any more. Also the trinary needs more elementals!

Grognard

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2013, 07:52 »

There is usually a contingent of 20+ players at every Fall In!, Cold Wars, and Historicon.
And a 100+ at GenCon and Origins.
Most every University town has a group.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2013, 20:16 »

Does anyone else paint miniatures?

DO I PAINT MINIATURES

(click to show/hide)

Painting miniatures is my life.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2013, 00:50 »

RED MAKE'EM GO FASTA YA GITS!

Where's the Western minis from the second photo from Jace? Blackwater Gulch?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:22 »

[...]
Painting miniatures is my life.
That and getting the shit beaten out of yo is indeed the impression I come away with, reading your posts.

And Ann Hathaway.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Grognard

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2013, 06:07 »

I've got a regiment + of infantry (110 stands) for Battletech all painted.
plus several companies of different factions of Mechs
also tanks and aircraft by the dozen that are 'in progress'.
sadly,
all these are outnumbered by the mass of bare metal that I havent' touched yet.

V :D V

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2013, 13:02 »

I don't even remember which company I grabbed them from, they were a slightly cheaper company than stuff like black scorpion. Might start with an 'a'.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2013, 16:06 »

Nice work Grog!

I have roughly 6500 points of Warhammer 40k spread of Space Marines, Imperial Guard and my beloved Sisters of Battle. This does not count my pair of Leviathan Crusaders from Dreamforge Games that I run as counts as Warhounds. Fuck yeah titan scale all up in this bitch.

As mentioned elsewhere I have about $700 worth of Soviet armored might for Flames of War, and the start of a British Grenadier Guards list that with all the trappings I want (namely lots of self propelled artillery and more then enough Sherman Fireflys) will run me another $600 (retail, not what I pay. Hahahahaha.) to properly kit out.

I also have a nice sized Infinity force that I have never actually used, but I love the models so in the end I'm okay with that. Sorta.

Stuff I'm waiting for from kickstarters for minis:
A big pile of stuff from Dreamforge Games, weapons arms for the titans, a 10 unit black widow squad, and a 10 unit assault squad (hello counts as terminators!) and since Mark is going to try to extend backers a big fat discount coupon for being such good sports about the wait, I'll be grabbing a 20 man trooper box, 20 more black widows and a 20 man Valkir box.

Toughest Girls in the Galaxy, courtesy of high end minis maker Raging Heroes who's stuff I have bits and bobs of, I'm getting a big pile of heroines and giant ass kicking rage monsters. I will probably be buying more of their stuff from the KS post KS, but I didn't have the funds on hand to get troop boxes in addition to the heroines (and fucking WEREWOVLES) I wanted.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2013, 21:22 »

I've got approx 2500-3000 points of Warhammer Bretonnians.

2500 points of 40k Orkz
1000 points of 40k Salamanders waiting to be converted
2000 points of Flames of War British infantry company
1500 points of FoW German tank company
15 Cowboys for Legends of the Old West
30 Dwarf Samurai because I used to have a Dwarf army
Probably around 40 points worth of Hordes Circle Orboros
30 points worth of Warmachine Khador
1000 points of Bolt Action British
1000 points of Warhammer Chaos
Two starter fleets for Firestorm Armada (Dindrenzi and Aquan)
A bunch of re-purposed Heroclix for SuperSystem
Actual SuperSystmem miniatures, I think I have about 10 of them?

This is of course after I'd sold my 2500 pt Space Marine and 1750 pt Dwarf armies.

Oh, also I've got a host of other miniatures that I bought because they were cool or because I needed a character for a PnP game.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:20 »

Please send help I have so many minis

Grognard

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2013, 07:44 »

I contributed for the RoboTech KS.
I'm expecting about 200 minis come December.
I don't have a clue where I'll store them, much less get 'em all painted.

Oddly enough, I've never painted any GW minis. wait, yes I have. 
some sort of TAU small scout BA that fit nicely in scale with my Battletech stuff.
I've also got a Tau XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, new in the box.

in all, more shtuff than I need and more of it than I'll probably ever paint.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:09 »

and my addiction continues, buying a box of SU-100 tank killers from my co-worker.

Mhweeheheheheheh. Another five tanks for glorious Soviet motherland!

SU-100

I also have as I mentioned earlier and elsewhere, the SU's big brother, the ISU-122

With four ISU-122, five SU-100s, for big cat hunting and a break through company of IS-2s, the Red Guard shall shatter the hitlerite's lines for our tovarich in the tankovy kompanie and their T-34/85s.

Heros of the Red Army. Advance!

Yes I am intentionally building a Soviet Shock Army.

Yes I am an ardent capitalist.

No I don't see an dissoance in that. Comrades forward!

Grognard

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:29 »

You posted the wrong video: needs more Hell March.

http://youtu.be/qwspC90b7H0

Grognard

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2013, 20:20 »

Just found out we have a massive schedule conflict with FALL IN!
the Son&Heir is:
A. about to be promoted to either Company Sargeant Major or Platoon LT. (JROTC)
B. has his first armed drill competition that weekend.

So we won't be making it.  :(

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2013, 21:13 »

Awww lame! Ah well, we'll see y'all sometime next convention season.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 07 Oct 2013, 20:00 »

Мужчины Третьей ударной армии! Вперед!

The bulk of my Soviet FoW army. Tanks. More tanks, and some more tanks. Infantry are for greasing treads.

T-34/85s from the Soviet Guards Tank Regiment box set. This unit was a true pain to assemble. 21 T-34 hulls and 42 turrets as the Mid-war turret is also provided. It's very useful as I now have a decent sized Mid-War force but yesh.

The Commissar M.A. Dedeov Soviet hero unit. He'll mostly be serving as CO for my Tank Regiment, except for when I'm actually using the hero unit

Heavy Tank Company, IS-2 line breakers will shatter the Hitlerite's lines!

Heavy Assault Guns, even the biggest cats tread in fear of the glorious Guards ISU-122s.

SU-100 истребителей танков. May all Hitlerite armor know fear under the guns of our Танк охотников!

M-3 Half Tracks from our American allies. With these our tanks shall have no fear of the Luftwaffe's accursed fighter bombers.

Героев Красной Армии! Для Родина!

And now some 40k objective markers

Space Marines Relic

Space Marine ammo dumps

Teleport Homing Beacon

Imperial Guard ammo dumps

ackblom12

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:23 »

Alright, now that my anxiety levels are medicated down to the high end of normal, I'm going to try painting minis again. Luckily, I still have my unpainted Reaper Bones set that I backed in a very very unwise financial decision. So.. I have about 250 minis to pick from. I think the only thing I'm missing is a clear finish for them, but I can wait a few days for that.

Any opinion on if I should start with a smaller or larger mini? I have them ranging from Pathfinder goblin sized to a 9" tall and 9" long Cthulhu. Also, I suppose good beginner tutorials that anyone would suggest would be nice as well.

Edit: Decided to start on the goblins since I have half a dozen or so of them with various positions and weapons. I'll post pictures of the horrible mess they're in once I finish them.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2013, 16:52 by ackblom12 »

Grognard

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2013, 17:35 »

Here are some generic / militia infantry for use with BATTLETECH.
I chopped up some old clickytech MechWarrior: Dark Age stuff and repurposed it.

and here is some Motorized Infantry using 3 different manufacturers' products.

obviously, I've still work to do... but you can see where I'm going with these.   :-D

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2013, 18:05 »

Alright, now that my anxiety levels are medicated down to the high end of normal, I'm going to try painting minis again. Luckily, I still have my unpainted Reaper Bones set that I backed in a very very unwise financial decision. So.. I have about 250 minis to pick from. I think the only thing I'm missing is a clear finish for them, but I can wait a few days for that.

Any opinion on if I should start with a smaller or larger mini? I have them ranging from Pathfinder goblin sized to a 9" tall and 9" long Cthulhu. Also, I suppose good beginner tutorials that anyone would suggest would be nice as well.

Edit: Decided to start on the goblins since I have half a dozen or so of them with various positions and weapons. I'll post pictures of the horrible mess they're in once I finish them.

Heh I'm backing the Reaper Bones II KS at the moment. I'm in for around $162, but I wanted the add on pack and this huge dragon mini that looks incredible. As for starting even though you already picked one the key thing is simply to start. A lot of people let the intimidation factor of minis at any size get to them. For 15mm minis like Flames of War "Oh wow that's way too small! I dunno if I can do that!" or for larger 28mm minis like 40k, and most of the Reaper Bones line it's usually over focusing on detail. First I always suggest one thing. Whatever you do, don't stop painting. Paint to the finish, put the ink wash on THEN take a look at it. To quote an old line, it all comes out in the wash. If you don't already, if you buy pre prepped ink washes (I like Citadel's myself) put a drop of dish soap in them. It breaks the tension between the oil and ink and makes them play a bit nicer.

For tutorials Obsidian is probably the best "How to" guy I know http://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianPainting?feature=watch

He mostly does 40k, but it's applicable to any one. It might also be worth it to see if your FLGS has a painting clinic!

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2013, 19:30 »

Thank ya kindly, I'll consider looking into the FLGS clinic thingamajig. But yeah, the reason I put it off is I was in a state where starting painting sent me into a panic attack. Needless to say, not real conducive to the hobby. Still a little nervous about how it'll turn out, but hey. So far it's impressive to me how quickly it starts to make a noticeable difference, even with the messy first coat for the skin.

I think that right now, my biggest problem may be that I'm trying to be too neat despite the fact that I'll be painting over sections with other colors.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2013, 20:03 »

Oh goddess that took me AGES to get over! I also picked up the terrible habit of fixing mistakes as I go. So for example I'm doing the trim on a boot and some gets on the leg, so I stop, switch paints and touch it up. It's WAY easier and more effective to go back before you wash the mini and do that.

ackblom12

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2013, 20:42 »

I'm only doing the initial armor coating thus far and I'm already excited about the next mini I'm planning on doing.

It's a cyborg gorilla with a minigun in place of a right hand. Think Barret, but a big fuck off gorilla.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 10 Oct 2013, 21:26 »

I approve of this. How are the minis taking paint so far Ack? I've heard the Reaper Bones minis aren't the best about it and it's got me half considering bailing on this KS.

ackblom12

« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2013, 21:46 »

I washed mine first and used Army Painter brand black primer to start and it seems to have stuck wonderfully. I think most folks have said that as long as they're washed first it shouldn't be an issue. The biggest thing I've heard consistently with them is just the normal plastic mini issue of bending. But that can be fixed pretty easily with a bit of hot water, ice water and time.

I actually found a tutorial on the forums that goes into some detail about how the material takes various things such as filing and how the details hold up to thicker paints as well.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

Edit: Also this one. http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

I doubt you need the tutorial parts of it, but they both go into some good detail about how to handle the material.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2013, 21:53 »

The cool thing about painting miniatures is that if you don't like how they look toss them into a bowl of simple green for ~24 hours and the paint comes off!

I painted a ship but I'm not happy with the colors so I tried a different scheme and I'm a bit happier with it. Only have like 30 more ships to paint then I will buy more.

ackblom12

« Reply #34 on: 10 Oct 2013, 22:06 »

Alright, just painted this goblin's hair blue because hey, it's a goblin.

Ultramarine Blue is one of the most boring blues I've ever seen.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2013, 22:28 »

I like it as a base blue. But I don't use ANYTHING Citadel any more except for Boltgun Metal (lead belcher or whatever they're calling it now) and their washes. Reaper or Vallejho is the way to go paint wise. I'd also strongly suggest Krylon spray primer over ANYTHING else. $4 a can and it's probably one of the best spray primers on the market.

My next project is painting up the game pieces for my copy of Firefly: The Game. I have the promo expansion "The Artful Dodger" as well as the base game, so I have five Firefly class ships to paint up including Serenity herself, a Reaver ship (blood splatters every where!) and an Alliance Cruiser.

I also need to finish my Katyusha MLRS units, and start painting my "Moments from History" minis. I have Rommel and Monty squaring off, and Musashi-Sensei in one of his famous duels. I also have another 40k Titan scale model I really need to get put together sooner rather then later... >.>; kinda been putting it off because it takes about eight hours of dedicated effort. Apparently the time to assemble drops by an hour + on your second one... I suppose I'll find out. I'm getting my new weapons arms in for both of my titans so I need to get the second one assembled so I can paint it and it's new guns at the same time.

ackblom12

« Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2013, 22:37 »

Oh shit, this gorilla cyborg also has an eye patch. I want it to be my best friend.

Edit: Alright, I need to be up in the morning, so I'm taking a break for the night. I still need to do detail work, the weapons, a wash (which I'll have to wait on because I don't have any), highlighting and all that. These are taking a while, but I'm happy with how they're coming out thus far considering it's my first go at it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2013, 23:12 by ackblom12 »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2013, 00:54 »

Here's a ship. Have seven more like it to paint. Weirdly I picked the American nation in this game but only because my flatmate already picked Britannia. Kind of wish I'd gone with France but at least I get some flying robots at some point. I painted the windows on the command tower in the middle of the ship after I took this picture. I'm kind of not trying very hard on these ones because they're so small that the details are generally lost from arm's length. On the cruisers and larger I'll probably put more detailing. That said, I still painted all the rivets.

Also wal mart brand color place spray paint is the best I've used, its like a dollar and dries pretty fast too which is super handy.

ackblom12

« Reply #38 on: 11 Oct 2013, 14:05 »

Don't you know there's a no ship policy on this forum Jace?

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2013, 14:28 by ackblom12 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2013, 18:30 »

That's only in the comic section of the forum!  :parrot:

In other news, here's some stuff from a KS I backed, it's a big update so it's in spoilers. Holy shit I am excited to get these lovely ladies. There's some boob plate, and the jail birds are what they are (an odd mix of Girl power Rambo and punk rock chicks) but over all, holy fuck as a Sisters of Battle player this is about as close to the holy grail of multipart, multi pose plastic sisters as I'm gonna get.

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2013, 18:46 »

That is a KS I purposefully avoided because it was going to lead to another terrible financial decision. As much as I love the artstyle and theme, I'd love for one company to prove to me that the miniature industry knows how to make a female warriors set without boob plate and cleavage on every figure. I'd also love the fanbase to prove to me that it would get crowd funded.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2013, 06:21 »

I think it would, (I know I would throw scads of money at such a company) but I also think the emphasis on boob plate is as much a limitation of the art form as anything else. It's hard to make females the size of your thumb appear female. Oh well. The girls are all dressed (barring the Jail Birds and their various "Rodriguez" impersonations) they look competent, and bad ass. I'll take what I can get for female minis at this point.

On the plus side, with Kingdom Death running around, it's hard to call the RH girls "cheesecake" any more.

ackblom12

« Reply #42 on: 12 Oct 2013, 10:03 »

Kingdom Death is just an embarrassment as far as I'm concerned.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #43 on: 12 Oct 2013, 11:04 »

Finished all 9 frigates. Started on 3 cruisers, will probably complete those after work today and then start on the battleship.

ackblom12

« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:31 »

Ok, barring a wash, doing the base and sealent (because I don't have any of that), I think I'm done.

I definitely need to actually sit down and watch through an entire tutorial at some point to get a real feel for when and how to do dry brushing. I also need to get more comfortable with a semi-set order of base painting, but overall I'm happy with my first attempt. I did some of the goblin's weapons with a basic gun metal gray painting, and a couple with a dry brush over solid black for the same color. In the images with the 3, the one on the far right is dry brushed. I'm not entirely sure what mini I want to start next, but until I get ahold of some simple green, I may put off the cyborg gorilla. I may try some humans so I can try and get a feel for skin tone, because colors and color mixing is definitely one of the things I'm not confident about at all.

Also, I think that after a year of sitting around and not being used, a couple of these paints may be on their way out. The Golden Yellow especially has tiny clumps in it. Also trying to get used to the fact that different colors are going to have different thickness.

(click to show/hide)

Here's the full album.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2013, 14:09 »

Kingdom Death is just an embarrassment as far as I'm concerned.

See now there's the thing, and I run into this a lot when I talk feminism on my gaming forums, it's assumed because I want female minis that are dressed like ass kickers instead of prostitutes that I don't like cheesecake, or that there's something /wrong/ with cheesecake. (Or beefcake for that matter... or carrot cake, red velvet cake... I uh may have gotten distracted). I think Poots' stuff for KD's a bit over the top, but I appreciate his sculpts, and wouldn't mind trying my hand at one of his pin ups just to see if my skill level's there yet or not. (That's /a lot/ of human skin tone to get right) So my stance is simple enough, cheesecake's cheesecake, but the OPTION for non-cheesecake should be there, especially when it doesn't even exist now. (to be fair maybe 5% of female minis outside of the "horrendous monstrosities that are still kinda female like GW's current incarnation of Daemonettes, fall under the non-cheesecake thing. The killer thing is most of those 5% are just terrible sculpts)

ackblom12

« Reply #46 on: 12 Oct 2013, 14:18 »

My issue with KD was actually that there wasn't a single female mini that wasn't ridiculously sexualized, objectified and incredibly submissive. The starting men were promising as a balance, but then it follows the exact same tropes. Men get more and more heavily armored and women get skimpy armor, etc. The detail and quality is downright amazing, but it's so full of problems that I can't support it in good faith.

It didn't help when I looked at the rest of their mini line in the store. Shit would be fantastic if it was a BDSM themed line, except there is no gender balance at all, but it's not. It's actually incredibly gross when you get the full context of their mini line and their own comments concerning them.

But either way, yeah. I love the Heavy Metal magazine style that stuff like WH40K has for the Sisters of Battle, but it doesn't change the fact that there are no official female figures that aren't heavily sexualized. Hell, last I checked there aren't even any female units at all for the Empire outside of the Sisters, despite the Imperial Troops being co-ed. And Space Marines are all dudes because casual sexism. Have they even bothered making females outside of Slaneesh demons for Chaos and the Eldar?

So yeah, I want a wider variety of styles that don't include cheesecake. There are plenty of ways to feminize a design without cleavage or boobplate, even if I like the aesthetic that the good cheesecake art styles have.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2013, 14:55 by ackblom12 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #47 on: 12 Oct 2013, 15:00 »

Okay I'll concur with that assessment of KD no problem. Though I wouldn't say the girls (even the pin ups) all look submissive. The Twilight Knight pin up looks like she's about to thrash some ass, even if she's really not in the right attire for it. Over all I avoid KD. I find Poots himself kinda grody at best. The whole thing just feels... off. I feel much better about RH, even if their heroines do sport the occasional high heel or there's a far amount of cleavage on display, or boob plate for armored figures. At least the girls look like bad asses who are about to deal out some significant hurt.

For example:

That is not the facial expression of a woman who's going to submit in any way shape or form outside of submitting a combat knife to your neck. I fucking love it.

Dark Eldar/Dark Elves any any elf species has it's females.

I'm fine with the Space Marines being all male for "reasons" that's fine. It's a story, justify it how you will, the Adeptus Sororitas are all girl power, all the time for no more solid reasons. HOWEVER I agree completely with the depiction of the IG being jacked. From what the Fluff tells us, women in regiments as line troopers aren't rare (world depending) and all female regiments are not the norm but not uncommon, then you have the 50/50 (or roughly) like the Valhallans that Ciaphas Cain served with, one of the junior officers of that unit later became a Lady General of the Imperium. So it's all there in the fluff for a decent balance. GW just won't make the frakking minis.

ackblom12

« Reply #48 on: 12 Oct 2013, 15:35 »

I didn't mention the Toughest Girls set for a good reason. There are numerous differences between the two, despite both of them including styles of cheesecake and pinup. Toughest Girls is doing Cheesecake and pinup right. KD is doing it in a really kind of gross manner. I'll explain with pictures from KD.

(click to show/hide)

That's why I consider it to be an embarrassment to the community.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #49 on: 12 Oct 2013, 16:01 »

Yeah, an acceptable conclusion. KD's just kinda gross on a surface level as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up