THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150178 times)

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #100 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:54 »

I decided to throw my hat in the ring for the painting minis business.
I've done so unofficially before, mostly for friends.
But now I've put the word out: "Will Paint for Cash".

http://www.lordsofthebattlefield.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=388177#p388177

I've been model building since 1986, and I have won a few competitions in that time.
so... why not try to make some ca$h ?

I've also recently modded an APC mini.  Once I get it finished with green stuff, I'll try to make resin casts.
We'll see how it goes.  ;|  I'm my own worst critic.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #101 on: 28 Oct 2013, 15:03 »

Posting this battle report I found.  The main reason is to show everyone this guys Star Wars inspired IG army.  Its amazing!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #102 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:43 »

That is fantastic.... but fuck painting all that white! >.>;
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #103 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:31 »

back when I played tau I did.  I spray painted them white and then painted the cloth part and guns black to get the clone/storm trooper look I wanted.  Sargents had red helmets with white markings.  The tau shoulder pad had squad markings and a silver tau symbol.  Sargents had red and gold.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #104 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:51 »

I think I'm gonna buy one of those Dark Angel flyers. Not really for my DA but to convert up an Avenger strike fighter.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #105 on: 29 Oct 2013, 17:36 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #106 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:17 »

Ah, digital release only. I'm a little disappointed, usually means there's nothing new coming out with it, which is a shame because I've been playing Inq28 the last few months and there's usually a wealth of stuff to be found.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #107 on: 30 Oct 2013, 04:07 »

Might have some cool lists though! Be interesting if it brings Sisters, GK, Stormtroopers, etc all back under one codex.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #108 on: 02 Nov 2013, 19:21 »

so I was looking for commissars and came across this.  Does anyone have better google-fu than me and can locator the producer of these miniatures?  The only places I can find are generic miniature store sites and they are in foreign languages.

Also do you think based on the newest codex, Lord Solar Macharius would better represented by a lord commissar or a commander+unit?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #109 on: 02 Nov 2013, 23:31 »

Either really. I'd have to look at it. The producer for that female commissar is somewhere in Europe. I think she's on coolminiornot.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 03 Nov 2013, 11:12 »

I think she might be for Warforge, try looking up Viktoria Skivlana.

Though if you're looking for Commissars, try Raging Heroes' sci-fi section, they have a couple.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #111 on: 04 Nov 2013, 02:48 »

The closest I want to get to this is walking (rapidly) past the window of the local Games Workshop shop (eew, eew, eew), but TED is correct... http://eurobitz.com/en/warforge/2111-officier-disciplinaire-viktoria-skivlana.html

I'm a bit amazed that such detail can be moulded on a model only 28mm tall.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2013, 03:49 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #112 on: 04 Nov 2013, 03:58 »

Heh, why do you dislike Games Workshop Akima?

and 15mm games really impress me with how much detail they get on their game pieces these days.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #113 on: 04 Nov 2013, 08:19 »

Thanks Akima, that is why I kind of want it.  The detail is astounding compared to other models.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #114 on: 04 Nov 2013, 10:03 »

One of my co-workers went to a convention this weekend and brought us swag bagsin those swag bags were bits bagsand in those bits bags were most of 8 10 horse cavalry units. So what I'm saying here is basically "Fuck yeah! Free ponies!" Woooooo~!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #115 on: 07 Nov 2013, 06:35 »

So we just got the new book the company's releasing in December.... I can only say "Hot. So fucking hot." It has some FUN soviet lists but the German lists mmm meine gott so hot.

I also wrote out my high elf list, since I have a pissed off elven female battle mage that should be no less then an Elven Queen, I went with an Everqueen Deathstar list.

(click to show/hide)

*pounds shield with sword* have at ye heathens!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #116 on: 07 Nov 2013, 13:00 »

good painting tutorial using your hand for practice.

also do you guys find it is easier to do your bases separate from the model or after you finish painting the model?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #117 on: 07 Nov 2013, 14:14 »

I've found that it's easier to paint the bases by themselves. Otherwise, no matter how careful you might be, you're always going to paint the mini.

On a related topic, I'm looking to update my brushes in the next couple of weeks, any one have any suggestions for decent ones?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #118 on: 07 Nov 2013, 15:52 »

Hobbytown USA's got good brushes and they run sales constantly. Check online for a coupon.

Grognard

« Reply #119 on: 07 Nov 2013, 17:17 »

^^ Ditto That ^^
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #120 on: 14 Nov 2013, 07:44 »

New sculpts

Creating our first batch of TGG Troopers as been a very enriching experience. And we are now implementing all the lessons we learned with them for the next batch of 25 Command Group Troopers. At the same time, we've been working on a big batch of Heroines and Special Characters. Today, we are showing you the firsts that are completely done, and more are on the way. In fact, many of them only need some polishing before being ready for their close-ups. That's the case, for example, with the Lulus. We are showing you 3 Lulus today, but the other 3 are very close to getting their final approval. You will also find below images of the sculpts for Vera, Volga, Keela, and Natasha.

Finally, here's an update on the Jailbirds and KST Artillery, showing you all the gun mounts.
 Multi-part and posability for the Troops

There have been some questions about the posability of the multi-part troops, and about how the parts are split. The best way to answer this is probably to show you an image.

Each trooper is made of one pair of legs, one torso, one head, a right arm (in most cases holding a rifle), and a left arm with its hand posed to accommodate the other (firing) end of the rifle.

We basically tried all possible options many options on how to split and assemble the two hands and the rifle. What was obvious was that if we wanted to preserve the posing and the dynamic attitude of the character, we should have the rifle attached to the right arm. Then, by keeping the left hand attached to the left arm, it gives you a little bit more latitude in positioning the left hand on the rifle. And so, this creates more mix-and-match options.

Each trooper also has access to 2 “packs” of accessories (such as grenades, knives, binoculars) that you can attach to her belt in most cases.

And as previously mentioned, each box of 5 troopers includes additional heads and weapons.

All this will allow for maximum variety in posing and customising your army. Below are a few examples of TGG troopers made by mixing and matching various parts included in the kits.

Heavy IE design

There was some discussion about a couple of design elements on the Iron Empire Heavy Troopers. Namely, some people would have like to see the shoulder pads decorated, for example with some insignia or some sort of modern heraldry. This was a pertinent comment and proposal, but please remember that what you see now is the very beginning of the TGG. There will be more troop types, and more "special" or "customized" versions of some of the basic troops we are releasing through this kickstarter. We are just at the beginning of the TGG adventure and so, obviously, we are starting with the more "common" versions of these soldiers. So rest assured that we have this in mind for the future.

Another thread of comments was about the fact that these heavy troopers do not have visible abdominal armour plating. Well, there are several reasons for this: we wanted to keep them slimmer at the waist to preserve a somewhat more feminine silhouette. And there are also fluff-related reasons: you could compare the Iron Empire Heavies to American football players who have very heavy protection on the top part of their body, because they use their upper body to ram their adversaries, and light protection on the lower body in order to run fast. Actually, the IE Heavies' shoulder armours generate a force field that is used to ram their adversaries or obstacles when they charge. So these troops are used for close combat strikes where shock factor and manoeuvrability are key.

But the last, most valuable reason for us is that we want the TGG to have a pulp feel. We chose to use super big stereotypes like WWII-German-looking-zombies-brought-back-from-the-dead-by-pseudo-Egyptian-magic, and then to add to this several layers of deeper and more mature meaning. For example, we looked at the human side of this kind of world through the tragic destiny of characters such as Nertha. But let's not forget that we want to keep a somewhat B-movie, Tarantino-esque feel to it and so, yes, there will be some crazy stuff, like a baby hippo carrying beer, or a dog smoking cigars, or heavy troopers with light midriff armour. And rest assured that there will also be bigger and heavier armours too :)

A special treat for KST enthusiasts

As we explained in their background details, the Kurgan culture is somewhat schizophrenic. Having to deal with very profound societal and economical changes in a very short time, they are now trying to reconcile the best aspects of their ancient traditions with the amazing potential of their newfound technological genius. While the government hierarchy and the Kurganova family itself has endeavoured to banish the old ways, they have nevertheless kept in place ancient military protocols and institutions that seem somewhat removed from what the bulk of the Kurgan army have become.

The most obvious example of this is the fact that the Old Guard still acts as the Praetorian Army Corps and is in charge, among other things, of the Kurganova family protection.

The Old Guard is made up of Boyars and Berserkers. The Boyars are all descendants of ancient Kurgan noble blood lines. They are elite forces steeped in traditions and arcane protocols. Since they are seen at all formal events as guardians of the Kurganova family, one might make dismiss them as window dressing. One couldn't be more wrong. Think of them as the lictors of Ancient Rome, or the Vatican Swiss Guard.

Now, if the Boyar are the living embodiment of discipline and order, the Berserkers are their exact opposites and the contempt between the two groups is common knowledge. When the Kurgan Civil Wars erupted, when mafia war bands began using their 'were' powers, when the entire population became enmeshed in battle and blood baths, some of the Kurgans became completely possessed by their werewolf form. As their entire society crumbled, a few of the more bloodthirsty combatants began to sense that their world was heading towards complete obliteration, and they turned towards the last remaining bastions of order, mostly represented at that point by the Kurganova family, to offer their help and support in trying to salvage what could be saved of the Kurgan culture and people. Nobody knows what made these crazy creatures suddenly realise what they had become. A legend whispers that the Wolf Mother herself came in their dreams and brought them back to reason. But no one has ever confirmed or denied this. The Berserkers secrets stay with the Berserkers.

Their exact role in the last hours of the Civil War remains obscure, and it is believed that to end the bloodshed, they has to shed much blood... Once the Civil Wars were over, they felt that the blood lust was too strong in them to return to society and that they would never be able to fully control the primal rage that burned inside of them. They could neither be humans as that would have left them without a vital part of them, nor could they be werewolves as in this form, they would only bring chaos and destruction. So they asked the Kurgan scientists for a way to stay forever in-between these 2 states.

And today, with their cybernetic implants and titanium claws and jaws, they may look human, but they are as deadly as the most feral werewolves. Although they may be the black sheep of the Kurgan forces, they are the most dedicated and loyal forces the Kurganovas can have.

Now, we don't have any specific dates in mind for the release of these miniatures. So, why are we showing you this today?

Well, these characters were some of the things we had in mind if the Kickstarter had done even better than it already did. And while, until now, we had not had the opportunity to show them to you, we though it would bring a new light on the KST forces, and might help you envision whether the KST forces are for you or not, and how assembling/picking different types of troops might help you create an army that really suits your persona and tastes.

As you can imagine, in the same vein, the Iron Empire will get more Aegyptian-themed 'stuff' (characters, troops, background, etc.) and the Jailbirds, more crazy Mad-Max/Tank-Girl 'stuff' in the future as well.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #121 on: 14 Nov 2013, 09:23 »

vostroyans...death korps...cadians... thats what I see...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #122 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:13 »

Catachans too, but they aren't in the photos, the Cadians and Vostroyans are in the same army.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #123 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:21 »

yeah was going to incorporate all of them in the Macharius 1st company (old cadians=merican fusiliers, cadians=cadians/donian, death korps= death korps, vostroyans= Byzant Janizars)  and I want to incorporate female models too.  would like to see some side by side comparisons to see the dimensions (I know they are both 28mm but the dimensions should be interesting).

also started reading angel of fire yesterday.  he intro chapter was intense.  Also learning about the inner workings of the baneblade.  Should get some good inspiration for the Macharius army from this book, only read the intro and the first chapter but Macharius is suppose to make an appearance in the next chapter I think.  :-D
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 10:26 by LeeC »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #124 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:41 »

vostroyans...death korps...canadians... thats what I see...

I may have misread this.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #125 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:55 »

nope Cadians from Cadia.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #126 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:04 »

Kind of getting back into Mordheim, and started with a Sisters of Sigmar warband. And currently planning on converting a few of the other warbands.
I've always liked Fantasy, but the thought of ranking all those units and regiments would have driven me crazy. Plus Mordheim allows me to do what I really love, converting!

Though to be honest, I'm sad I missed out on Mordheim the first time round, the game and the style didn't really appeal to me, I was 16 and a sci-fi nut then, but as I got old, I started to appreciate Mordheim more and more. I guess its true what they say though, you don't what you got til its gone. Still really surprised that GW did get rid of the Specialist Games like that (I loved them. Back in 97, it wasn't Fantasy or 40K that got me into the hobby...it was Gorkamorka! Mad Max meets Orks? How could no one love that?!)

That said, I have heard a couple of rumours that there might be something like Inquisitor and Necromunda coming out next year. (Though, I'd love it if they rerelease some of the older pieces, even as finecast)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #127 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:44 »

You don't have to worry about that, finecast is going the way of the dodo apparently.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #128 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:59 »

some people don't have the patience to paint miniatures

TheEvilDog

« Reply #129 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:02 »

Yeah, I heard that. From what I gather, the Finecast characters are going to be put under Forge World's control. The non-character finecast pieces are going to be left until the stock is gone and then they'll be replaced with plastic.

Actually I was one of the people who really questioned Finecast from the start, in fact, my point was that I just couldn't understand why they were releasing the likes of Dante or Warlocks in Finecast when they were becoming quite dated (you know the warlock I'm talking about. Not just that guy, there's plenty of pieces that date back to the mid-90s, with others who have gotten several versions, such as the daemonettes)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #130 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:22 »

Mid90s. Like my army's entire RANGE!? *breaks down sobbing*

Grognard

« Reply #131 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:48 »

majority of my stuff dates to the 1980s...
yes there are newer casts, but they're fugly to my eyes.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #132 on: 15 Nov 2013, 21:42 »

reading the second chapter of Angel of Fire.  You know it never crossed my mind that during Macharius's crusade that the Inquisition was there since they fought heretical planets and enemies. I mean I knew they fought heretics, cults, and chaos but I never made the connection that the big I would be there too.  I would like to include an inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus in one of my armies at some point (was thinking GK) but what with allies in this edition, I could easily plug them in my Macharius IG army too.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #133 on: 16 Nov 2013, 03:27 »

Yep especially with the new Inquisition supplement.

Grognard

« Reply #134 on: 16 Nov 2013, 19:06 »

hey GM.
D'you have any British T-16 Universal Carriers?
I'm thinking of getting some to cross purpose as Mechanized Infantry for Battletech.
I need to see one next to a known size object to judge size first.
Can you help me out?
Thanks.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #135 on: 16 Nov 2013, 20:00 »

Universal carriers? No sorry I don't have any personally. I'll keep an eye out for someone playing with them tomorrow and I might be able to scale'em for you

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #136 on: 17 Nov 2013, 04:45 »

GW is expensive. Oh well. So is a girlfriend. But you go to jail when you paint them blue and put them in a box in your trunk. So GW wins.

My wargaming quote of the day. I can't wait to get home from this con this afternoon. I haven't yet decided what I'm going to be doing, but I might finish cleaning up der Hobby table and get a little painting done.

I have bought a single book while I was here, a used copy of a Military History of the Samurai. $6.50

Not bad for a convention eh?

Meanwhile I am resisting making a buy from a company called Old Glory Shipyards. They have a beautiful 17th Century Brigantine for sale. $80 for the ship, her masts and her guns, you have to make your own spars and sails, and rigging too if you're really srs bsnz. Total cost $80 and she comes with a 25mm helmsman. $36 for a big bag of 25mm scallywags, cutthroats and other low lives to man her decks. I would not have a single system to play her with, it would literally just be for fun. I can't really justify the expense, but I lust for it.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 05:23 by GarandMarine »

Grognard

« Reply #137 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:32 »

MUCH jealousy here because you made it to FALL IN! and I couldn't.
wish I were there.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #138 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:41 »

Don't be too jealous. Working all weekend sucks.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #139 on: 19 Nov 2013, 08:14 »

@LeeC, if you're still looking for some female minis, I think Mad Robot Miniatures might be getting something together in the new year. They're a new company, working with CAD programs, but they're producing some pretty decent variants for the Imperial Guard.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 26 Nov 2013, 10:59 »

Some days it is truly very, very nice to work at a gaming company, boss just dropped $80 worth of tokens and templates apiece on our desks. Albeit it's for WHFB or similar systems which I don't really play, but it's still a nice perk.

Grognard

« Reply #141 on: 26 Nov 2013, 11:28 »

British Universal Carriers??

If you want to fill my Secret Santa stocking with gaming tokens and templates and etc., I wouldnt complain.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #142 on: 26 Nov 2013, 11:33 »

I don't have any in stock, they're comparable in size to our jeeps.

Grognard

« Reply #143 on: 27 Nov 2013, 10:12 »

I cannot find anyone with a comparison photo.  :(

any chance you could get me measurements?
Xmm length x Xmm width x Xmm height
with that info, I can make some paper block models to judge scale fit.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 27 Nov 2013, 16:41 »

I didn't have time honestly. They should be like... 1/100 scale so you can always check the real dimensions.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #145 on: 29 Nov 2013, 13:38 »

Backed Mantic Games' Deadzone kickstarter earlier this year, just got an email today saying that they're going to start shipping next Wednesday. Wahey. $450 worth of stuff for $150. Sweet.

Grognard

« Reply #146 on: 30 Nov 2013, 07:11 »

the Robotech KS just announced that their ship date is moved back from mid-Dec to early March.
bummer.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #147 on: 03 Dec 2013, 06:17 »

Grognard

« Reply #148 on: 03 Dec 2013, 10:15 »

Cool.

and I dont even play W40k

Jotunheim

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #149 on: 07 Dec 2013, 06:44 »

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/LORGAR_PRIMARCH_OF_THE_WORD_BEARERS.html Goddamit Forge World. Why do you do this to me and my poor defenseless wallet?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up