THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150208 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #300 on: 04 Apr 2014, 16:05 »

Well they are straight up meant to be Cadian replacement models. It's even in the name, Arcadian. Pretty much all of her stuff is Imperial Guard analog models. Praetorian, Penal Legion, Rough Riders... And all high quality stuff. Her price is a little higher than GW's, but you can see from the picture she does excellent work, and provides stuff that GW just doesn't make. I've been thinking of ordering some models for a veteran squad or something.... To rich for my blood to do a whole army out of, but fine for a special unit or character.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #301 on: 04 Apr 2014, 17:56 »

So what you're saying Lee, is that Akima is right. They look like soldiers or Marines from the Vietnam era.

Victoria mini's new line of sensibly dressed female "not IG".
And those are 28mm minis? You could have told me they were 54mm and I'd have believed it. And the poses look like the way someone might actually move or stand.
Edit: Even in the grim darkness of the far future, it seems there will still be bloody Australians!  :lol:

Yep, those minis are gorgeous in person and I can't wait to paint them! At $10/model it's Forge World prices if not more, so too pricey for an army, but I am MORE then happy to support Victoria and give her money for her awesome ladies. I believe in capitalism, and I believe in market influence via my wallet, so by buying Victoria's great lady troops I am writing a message, and endorsing it to the tune of $50 that there is a market for this style of miniature.

So today's swag:
I got some free scenic bases, because con swag
Those six Sisters models I needed. They cost $60... and that is actually a pretty damn good deal. I could turn around and put those same minis on Ebay and make money.
I also grabbed an awesome wolf mount model to be used as counts as GW Thunderwolf Cavalry. I've been wanting to do a Thunderwolf single for the shelf for awhile, and the benefit of getting it with a gorgeous scenic base and having the Bits seller right there for me to get the single Space Wolf I need for the rider without paying out the ass for shipping is a major bonus.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #302 on: 06 Apr 2014, 05:17 »

Today's... err yesterday's swag: Went back for two more silver helms, just to have an even 10x. Also got a metal Kharne the Betrayer for $2 just so I can paint him, and so my Chaos Lord isn't so lonely in my table full of loyalists any more.

My coworker is heavily encouraging me to participate in the Colonial next month (local fantasy tourney) game size is 2500. I just tossed my list together (the one I've been toying with for an age) and without the Everqueen it barely makes 1175... and it's really pricey already. I'm happy with the models I have for my personal enjoyment, but I don't think I can justify the build to 2500 in the next month financially.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #303 on: 07 Apr 2014, 06:35 »

Well, I got do some BattleTech gaming this weekend.
played SLDF Lance vs. Pirate Lance, and since I enjoy playing spoiler so much, I played Pirate.
yeah. that didn't work out.  the Dice Hate Me.
final score: 3 crippled Pirate Mechs and one crater vs. 4 SLDF 'Mech with heavy armor damage.

but on a good note: I managed to trade the Warhammer Kingdoms box set for $60 of store credit.
I then took the store credit, plus $3 in tax, and bought the newest release of the
BattleTech Inductory Box Set.

WOOT!
a $60 box set at a real cost to me of $7!
and it comes with 26 HIGH QUALITY plastic 'Mech miniatures.  These are GW quality, maybe better!
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014, 06:40 by Grognard »
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #304 on: 07 Apr 2014, 19:31 »

Fuck Adepticon was long. I just got back home TODAY!

I'll do a junk on the bunk with all my con swag tomorrow, but for now... some advertising if you guys wouldn't mind signal boosting...

I have a Flames of War Soviet tank force up for sale. Includes the following:
20x T-34s (with both turrets)
1x Commissar M.A. Dedov (both turrets)
6x IS-2
4x ISU-122
5x SU-100
4x Katyusha w/ command team, OP team and truck
3x M17 MGMC (Quad 50 lend lease AA)
1x Soviet Guards bag patch
1x Soviet Guards dice and token tin with extra tokens
All pertinent decal sheets and a pile of soviet bits

All vehicles are painted to a table top standard with no decals. Tank commanders are in their turrets and painted. Katyusha crews are not painted.

Retail on this army is well over $700. Reasonable offers will not be refused.

I also have some Brits/Americans perfect for a Market Garden Grenadier Guard.
12x plastic Sherman V still on sprue
4x Sherman Firefly VC still on sprue
1x platoon American Airborne (based and primed for that unique shade of paratrooper green and ready for detail painting)
Make an offer.

I will ship via UPS or US Postal. I will ship internationally if you're willing to pay for it.

Edit: For the record best con swag is tied for my Victoria female IG 11 girl squad, my free copy of Dreadball, or a hot redhead's number. (She was playing in the fantasy tourney)
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014, 20:28 by GarandMarine »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #305 on: 08 Apr 2014, 17:00 »

Total loot pile contents:
1x random freebie mini that looks like The Man With No Name but with a broadsword
1x Screaming Heretic podcast minion pin
1x Airbrush base coat
1x Black Library Horus Heresy book
1x Beer cozy mocking your newest net list
1x High Elf Prince
1x Kharn the Betrayer in metal (he was $2!)
1x WarGamma rocky craig bases kit
1x Random decked out Space Wolf Wolf Guard
1x WarGamma Thunderwolf + bits for rider
6x Sisters of Battle w/ assorted heavy weapons
10x High Elf Silver Helms with an OOP metal prince standing in as High Helm
1x Secret Weapons Shot Glass
1x Secret Weapons assorted 28mm back packs
1x Secret Weapon Asian Garden Base (60mm)
1x Victoria Minis 10 girl Arcadian rifle squad + Con exclusive color sergeant.
1x Dreadball Deluxe (I already want more teams)

Grognard

« Reply #306 on: 09 Apr 2014, 06:10 »

nice haul.
I intend to have a full battalion of Kurita's 8th Sword of Light all painted and ready for RAVENCON.
I will post pix.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #307 on: 09 Apr 2014, 06:31 »

I might rebuild my entire trinary, and pick up the starter set and paint those mechs up for Davion forces circa the Fed Com Civil War.

Grognard

« Reply #308 on: 09 Apr 2014, 06:49 »

I've also come to realize that the same paint applied over different color primers does not give the same results.

argh. red over white primer = nice crispy red.  red over grey primer = dry blood/maroon.  argh.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #309 on: 09 Apr 2014, 06:54 »

Ah, but you see, now that you know that you can use it to your advantage. It is a well used technique, layering colors to get different effects. That's why I keep white, grey and black primers on hand, depending on what I am painting. I also find it especially useful on things like metalics... Paint them over a dark or black basecoat and it gives  you a nice, dull metal look. Paint them over light colors and it makes a shiny chrome or jewel like effect.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #310 on: 09 Apr 2014, 07:07 »

I love a solid crimson covered with a darker red, it's a gorgeous effect.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #311 on: 10 Apr 2014, 06:04 »

I have a Flames of War Soviet tank force up for sale. Includes the following:
20x T-34s (with both turrets)
1x Commissar M.A. Dedov (both turrets)
6x IS-2
4x ISU-122
5x SU-100
4x Katyusha w/ command team, OP team and truck
3x M17 MGMC (Quad 50 lend lease AA)
1x Soviet Guards bag patch
1x Soviet Guards dice and token tin with extra tokens
All pertinent decal sheets and a pile of soviet bits

All vehicles are painted to a table top standard with no decals. Tank commanders are in their turrets and painted. Katyusha crews are not painted.

So here's the offer currently on the table, guy is getting me pics before we shake hands on it.

In return for the above:
Forgeworld Hell Talon bomber (New, unassembled)
Ork Stormboyz Box (new on sprue) x5
Ork Warboss (Black Reach) new on sprue
Big Shoota Boyz x2 (built, primed)
Shoota Boyz x11 built, primed
Slugga Boyz x30 in various states
STikbommers x6
Ork Shoota Boyz in parts x30 (torsos/bodies built, various stages of built/painted)
Ard Boyz Kit (conversion parts)
GorkaMorka Boyz x2
Mekboy x1)
Nob x5 (metal) includes Waaagh Banner
+$100 via paypal

With a new Ork book coming out later this summer making for excellent trade fodder AND of course a Forge World kit which A. sells easily and B. is extremely popular to use as a counts as Heldrake making it even easier to sell... I think that's a solid deal. Opinions?

Grognard

« Reply #312 on: 11 Apr 2014, 20:41 »

the word I've heard is that Orkz are very popular and are bringing top dollar currently.

on a lesser related note:

do you (anyone?) know of any gamer hobby stores in the Lynchburg area?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #313 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:46 »

I don't, I can ask at work Monday though.

Also I took the deal.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #314 on: 12 Apr 2014, 07:19 »

May it bring you many happy WAAAAAAGH! Also, I like the new avatar. :)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #315 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:04 »

Happy enough till I resell them after the new Dex drops any way :D

and thank you miss Ali :3

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #316 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:57 »

Naturally. Fluttershy is the best pony after all. For Breponya!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #317 on: 12 Apr 2014, 09:23 »

I just loved the facial expression.

My painting/assembly table is a weird place right now... I just put together a Firestorm Armada ship I picked up for free somewhere (which is gonna be a Light Cruiser for the Honorverse in my head). My two space wolves and the one wolf's ubersized mount. My Elyrian Reavers, and they're going to be joined by my Silver Helms shortly, along with Kharn the Betrayer most likely, Drizzt Do'Urden, the recently rebased Miyamoto Musashi, my Victoria girls, and a few other models primarily awaiting basecoating.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #318 on: 12 Apr 2014, 09:42 »

My week and work table has been occupied with frantically raising up hordes of undead for tommrow's fantasy game. In the past week I've assembled 10 ghouls, 35 zombies, 26 skeletons, 5 skeletal riders and 10 dire wolves. Some of which have been base coated, but I just haven't had time to do any painting.... All those skeletons.. I don't see how Ray Harryhausen didn't go insane while filming Sindbad...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #319 on: 12 Apr 2014, 15:25 »

Grognard

« Reply #320 on: 12 Apr 2014, 19:48 »

:roll: and yet another Marine falls onto the 'brony' bandwagen.... :roll:

I just really don't get it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #321 on: 12 Apr 2014, 20:18 »

Can you see that snarky facial expression? I wouldn't care if that was a pony or a smurf.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #322 on: 13 Apr 2014, 03:50 »

Funny. One of the other people at my FLGS now wants to do an army of dwarves using smurf figures, since I said I want to make a Bret-pony-a army :)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #323 on: 13 Apr 2014, 08:15 »

I'll buy you dinner to celebrate the completion of your Bretponya army <3

Grognard

« Reply #324 on: 13 Apr 2014, 19:29 »

Can you see that snarky facial expression? I wouldn't care if that was a pony or a smurf.

I get it now.  I just saw your post: "I just loved the facial expression."

well, gooool-leee, Seaer-gant!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #325 on: 13 Apr 2014, 20:01 »

In other news I just painted up a giant spaceship thingie for I think Firestorm Armada. I give 0 fucks and I'm pretending it's an Honorverse heavy cruiser.

Grognard

« Reply #326 on: 14 Apr 2014, 07:44 »

someone actually makes Honorverse miniatures...
http://fencingfrog.blogspot.com/2014/04/dargent-space-navy.html

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #327 on: 14 Apr 2014, 08:27 »

Argh, I am tormented right now. I want to start assembling and painting my elf force for Warhammer Fantasy. I just don't know if I want to make them High or Dark elves. So far I have two sets of the starter box high elves. So that's two heros on griffons and two male mages. Neither of which I can really use for dark elves without some major bending or lore. 20 sea guard, which I could use as Dark Spears, if I got rid of their bows and maybe did something with the embossed sea dragon logo on their shield. And 20 Swordmasters which I could  use as Executioners. Then there are 10 mounted reavers with bow and spear.  Plus I have 10 Mantic elf scouts which I could use either way. And a box of Dark Elf warriors that could be assembled with sword, spear or repeating crossbows.

Other figures laying around that I have are a bunch of Mage Knight... 22 I could use as Witch Elves, 6 women with sword and shield that look dark elfish. A couple of sorceress dressed like dark elves, and a few more dressed more like wood elves, and a part squad of archers with bows.

I really would like a Dark Elf army, but so much of what I have really works better for High Elves. With the whole bow instead of crossbow thing. And the mantic line of elves work better as high elves. They have a dark elf line, but it's much smaller and more expensive... I almost have enough right now to make a 2500 point High elf army. I am kind of thinking to make them first, then start working on Dark Elves later, when I can sink more money into it... Argh, I just keep going back and forth, and I don't want to start assembling and painting before I make a decision.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #328 on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:43 »

Go High, then you start your DE when you can throw more cash at it. Mantic's DE line is fantastic and a money saver compared to workshop.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #329 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:04 »

Unfortunately Mantic really isn't the answer for Dark Elves... They only have a few items, and it's just metal parts added onto their existing elf line. Coming in at $25 for 10 instead of $35 for 10. And only for spearmen, crossbow men and the war machine. Some of their elf line is useful for DE though, as is. So there's that.

There are some other companies that make good models for DE as well, like Raging Heroes and Avatars of War. But they aren't any cheaper than GW's models. But they are still good for model variety and gorgeous sculpts.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #330 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:17 »

I will personally reccommend Raging Heroes. Their sculpts are incredible.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #331 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:43 »

And plus, their new kickstarter will have Dark Elves/Eldar in it...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #332 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:00 »

someone actually makes Honorverse miniatures...
http://fencingfrog.blogspot.com/2014/04/dargent-space-navy.html

Yes but I'd have to pay for those....

and yes the new RH KS is gonna stomp balls, it has Sisters of Battle which means I'm going to be fucking BROKE when the time comes for it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #333 on: 16 Apr 2014, 16:38 »

Well fuck. Now I know why the Hell Talon is a hundred pounds sterling. This model's fucking HUGE! Definitely not keeping it as a show piece at this size. Going to sell it on ASAP.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #334 on: 16 Apr 2014, 20:48 »

Any recommendations for an affordable starter kit?  I've got pewters coming out of my butt, and I really want to paint them, but the paints and brushes at the comic shop are SO MANY that I don't know where to begin, or what to look for. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #335 on: 16 Apr 2014, 21:10 »

To be honest, I use the Apple Barrel and Folk Art acrylic paints you can find at craft stores and wal-mart about 90% of the time anyway. I find the quality is just as good, and you get about five times the amount for about half to quarter of the price. I've taken to using Privateer Press's paints and inks when I can't find what I need in the craft paint section. I also get my paint brushes and other supplies from the craft store too. Just a set of multiple sizes natural bristle brushes does me fine. I've heard good things about the Army Painter brushes. But then I also have a friend who bought them and has trouble with the tips coming off the handle and having to be reglued. But then, I have the same problem with some of my brushes so there's that.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #336 on: 16 Apr 2014, 21:15 »

If your local store carries my product the Quartermaster's paint set is 12 bottles and is a solid one shot purchase otherwise I'd just look for Vallejo, Reaper or Citadel paints. You'll want black, white, an off white, a silver (metallic), and a "gun metal" or dark metal (Citadel calls it "Leadbelcher), a wash of some kind (for this I recommend Citadel hands down) and then a mix of colors that'll depend more on what you're painting then anything else. For really getting started expect to pop by the store for a pot of paint or two every other week. Army painter is what I use and they make brush packs that'll set you on the right path. For spray primer... your mileage and local may very, but flat krylon works wonders for me.

Watching tutorial videos online can really help too, seeing what the pros use, that sorta thing.

Of course all this assumes you're brush painting and not going to airbrush.

Grognard

« Reply #337 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:12 »

GM: did you ever find out if there is gaming/hobby store in Lynchburg, VA?

I've turned up mention of a "Untamed Planets", but I think its a comic shop.

there was also a VAULT store, but it burned to the ground?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #338 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:34 »

Unfortunately Groggy I don't think we have an account in that area. Doesn't mean there isn't a hobby store. Just not one that deals with us.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #339 on: 17 Apr 2014, 20:20 »

Awesome, thank you!  I've got a friend (also into gaming, so I can probably rope her into this project, or at least get her to let me borrow some supplies) who already has an extensive collection of paints and brushes, but I wasn't sure if acrylics would work (I'm assuming I'll need to thin them - any ratios to recommend, or should I just go with trial and error?).  Maybe I'll start there and see if I have any skill for it?  After I try it out a bit, I'll invest in some supplies of my own.  I got a free bottle with my last Reaper order, but there's not much I can do with one color.  That's what got me excited about it, though (so good job with marketing, yo).

(and yeah, I want to try brush painting, not airbrush.  I wouldn't even know where to start with that).

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #340 on: 17 Apr 2014, 21:37 »

I recommend brush painting to start with. Less expensive start up option by far. :) Acrylics are definitely what you want for miniature painting. Enamels work for model kits, but they are terrible on miniatures (trust me, from experience). You will probably have to thin whatever acrylics you use. How much will depend on the paint you are using and what you are painting. It's trial and error to get a feel of it sort of thing.

One thing you can try is using a wet palatte. Get a shallow dish or container. Wet a paper towel thoroughly and put it in the container. Then place a piece of parchment paper (not wax paper) on the towel and let it soak through. Then you can put a little bit of the paint you are using on the paper and will keep it thinned down and keep it from drying out to quickly. Just add a little more water into the container as needed.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #341 on: 17 Apr 2014, 22:24 »

I cannot endorse a wet palette enough. You can also get "thinning" results by painting with a wet brush and getting a VERY small amount of paint on. I hear two to one mentioned for a lot of painters, though I'll confess I paint some stuff right out of the pot. Black, white, red as an accent, METALLICS (don't think metallics please >.>;)

Grognard

« Reply #342 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:30 »

I'll step outside of my usual BATTLETECH only box and recommend some minis for the DYSTOPIAN WARS series.
They're less expensive and with their high detail, extremely easy to paint and make them look great.

for instance: Cromwell Bombards. Resin minis with awesome detail. Dont even HAVE to primer them. (I did tho)
1. Krylon light grey primer
2. Dark Army Green base coat.
3. Lamp black covering to treads and exposed engine parts.
4. Gunmetal heavy coat on the main gun and workings., light brush on the treads, drive train and engines.
5. Medium Army Green dry brush of remaining green parts.
6. Medium Brown dry brush/smearing of lower hull and tracks.
7. Silver dry brush/highlight of main gun muzzle, machine guns: very sparingly.
8. final wash: either chaos black or sewer brown> coat evenly, try to avoid excess puddling.
LET DRY. preferably 24 hours.
9. Clear Coat. FLAT/Dull coat.

my results look alot like this, but without the brass or excessive shinyness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #343 on: 20 Apr 2014, 21:43 »

Back with more work! I know! I actually painted something! I'm shocked too!

Space Wolf with Thunderwolf (Thunderwolf alt from War Gamma, buy their stuff they're awesome!)

(click to show/hide)

Brief review on the War Gamme Thunderwolf: The models are gorgeous, incredible detail, takes paint very well, but assembly's a bear. Some serious flash clean up to be done and some of the detail work are locked in with molded blocks that can be very difficult to remove without damaging the detail they put into place. The teeth in particular are a rough patch for this. The provided legs work well but on my particular model didn't seem to "lock" into the saddle as tightly as I would have hoped.

Arcadian Color Sergeant

Yes this is the Con exclusive model. No it's not one of the resin ones.

This is how the model looked originally. Tap the spoilers to see how she looks now.

(click to show/hide)

Grognard

« Reply #344 on: 21 Apr 2014, 08:46 »

:thumbsup:  SWWEEET!!!!  :thumbsup:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #345 on: 22 Apr 2014, 16:31 »

So I did a little conversion work to give the big wolf rider above some friends to hang out with.

Wolf Guard 1: Chainsword and Bolt Pistol
Wolf Guard 2: Bolter and Chainsword
Wolf Guard 3: Frost Sword and Bolter
Wolf Guard 4: Frost Axe and Stormbolter
Wolf Lord: (Converted Ulric the Slayer) Plasma Pistol and Frost Sword

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Grognard

« Reply #347 on: 23 Apr 2014, 06:39 »

I successfully offloaded my thrift shop haul.
Paid: $13.50
Sold for final total: $160
most of that was store credit... but still.
$60 in cash, $40 store credit remaining, and $60 store credit used for Battletech stuff.

tis the best turn-around I've ever done.  Got to keep checking the thrift stores.  :D

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #348 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:23 »

Was that the Imperial Guard stuff you had, Grog? That's a pretty good turn around. :) I wish I could find wargaming stuff when I go to the  thrift store... if I'm lucky I might find some stuff to convert for scenery.

Grognard

« Reply #349 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:41 »

Yes. It was.  And I know the store will probably get $300 for it all, which is still $100 less than paying for brand new.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up