THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150121 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #350 on: 23 Apr 2014, 19:38 »

This is for you all you new people. I only have three rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits.... and no one buys stupid over priced horseshit like this either:

http://tomschadleminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/04/games-workshop-has-recently-advertised.html
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #351 on: 24 Apr 2014, 06:20 »

Excellent article: friends don't let friends pay stupid prices.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #352 on: 27 Apr 2014, 19:12 »

My favorite of the Wolf Guard

The only one dumb enough to roll without a helmet.

I touched the eyes and "nose" up a little after I took this. The distressed look is intention on the lower right side of the breast plate

The Lord and his Wolf Guard

So with that done, next up on the painting agenda is my female IG squad, then my SoB Exorcist conversion, followed by my Clanner Assault Star. After that, it's going to be a coin toss between 40k (Sisters of Battle models), Fantasy (HE Cav), and random project pieces (namely the D&D and the newly rebased Musashi's Duel)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #353 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:46 »

I may or may not have just bought the Twilight Knight Pinup model from Kingdom Death. I will accept my shaming in the public stocks now.

Grognard

« Reply #354 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:03 »

so long as you're not painting with jizz, 'tis perfectly acceptable.  :D LoL :D
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #355 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:35 »

No... I like cheesecake, and I like an artistic challenge, but as many girlfriends as I have right now... I don't think I have an excuse to be that sad a bastard

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #356 on: 11 May 2014, 20:49 »

Finished the rest of the Guardswomen, including the LT who's named for our own Ali.

Lt's on the left.

The full squad:

Grognard

« Reply #357 on: 11 May 2014, 21:06 »

they look GREAT.

now there is this little thing called 'flocking' to take care of those bases...   :D

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #358 on: 11 May 2014, 21:20 »

That's right! Don't mess with me! I have a chainsword! Rawr! (voted most likely to cut her own damn fool arm off...)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #359 on: 11 May 2014, 21:49 »

they look GREAT.

now there is this little thing called 'flocking' to take care of those bases...   :D

I never really messed with basing before.... >.>;

Grognard

« Reply #360 on: 12 May 2014, 07:06 »

I don't know what   >.>;  means... but that is ok.

I like to do simple basing: Elmers glue all, some Q tips or paperclip and some fine earth or sand.
I actually do my sand/gravel/greenery mix after I'm done with painting, but before the final DullCote.
I think it helps to provide a final dirty gritty-ness.

but I went and delved into the W40K boards and found this for you...
http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-to-flock-40k-models.html

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #361 on: 12 May 2014, 07:29 »

it's an emoticon. Usually meaning a nervous sweatdrop/feeling guilty about something.

Basing is really as simple or complex as you want to make it. Even simple basing can help out. I usually paint the top of my bases at least an appropriate color, green or brown or whatever have you to match the ground you are simulating. If you want to go the easiest round, you can find ready made flocking in any hobby/train/miniature store. It comes in all kinds of colors and textures. Spread some white glue on the base with an old brush or paper clip, dip the base in a container of flocking material and swish it around to cover everything. Turn it over and tap to shake off any excess flock. Clean off any  stuck to places you don't want it to be. It tends to love static cling. Let it dry overnight or a day, then spray it with your clear topcoat to help seal it in place. It looks okay, better than a bare base and can help tie together an army.

You can get more complex as you like with basing... Using various sizes and grits of sand, ballast and gravel glued down then painted or not for more texture. Either by itself or as a base before you add flocking on top for a more varied terrain. You can use chunks of cork broken up, cut up parts of sprue, green stuff, any assorted junk you have lying around to make more interesting bases. Really, the sky is the limit.

I tend to keep things very basic for rank and file models. Not much more than the glue and dip technique I described first. It's quick and easy, a minute or two per model to make them look nicer. And for tournament play where they judge painting having your army based counts into the score. For skirmish games and character models I go more complex. My Dark Age force is built on a bunch of post-apocalyptic looking ruins. A combination of resin base insert and hand made bases for a coherent look. Since I field 6-12 models per game, I wanted them to look the best. Commisar Yarick is on some cork based rocks decorated filled in with gravel and sand to make it look like he climbed up on an outcropping to get a better look at the battlefield. Things like that can really add character to the model.

You can check out this guy here: http://www.eonsofbattle.com/ for a lot of good tutorials on basing techniques. It's really pretty simple stuff and quick videos. But it's amazing what a little work can do.

Grognard

« Reply #362 on: 12 May 2014, 16:46 »

I'll agree with Neko absolutely on this topic.  Basing can really add character to a mini.

here is my early work:
spoilered to save space...
(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #363 on: 13 May 2014, 17:14 »

That feel when you get new toy soldiers and bitz you need to use the model are missing

Grognard

« Reply #364 on: 13 May 2014, 20:13 »

:(  ouch.  sorry man  :(  frustrating, I know.

my problem is I get OLD toy soldiers, and nobody makes the bitz for them anymore.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #365 on: 14 May 2014, 11:42 »

On the plus side, KD is fixing this fast, quick and in a hurry, and I got a big pile of Dust Tactics stuff for near free. The new starter set, a Pioneer platoon, one of the power armor heroes (Feldwebel Lara Walter) and a second Laser Grenadier platoon which SERIOUSLY ups my anti-armor firepower.

Grognard

« Reply #366 on: 14 May 2014, 13:00 »

gah. customer service... I wish.
all I want is Jump Boosters for Phoenix Hawks of the Unseen variety.
can't hardly find 'em at all, despite pestering and begging the shit outta the community.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #367 on: 18 May 2014, 01:11 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151305654943

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151305650954

I got shit on ebay. Buy it.

Also working my way through the KD mini. She's going slowly but surely. The best looking mini I have ever put together without fail.

I even made a custom transport case for her >.>;

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #368 on: 18 May 2014, 19:31 »

Grognard

« Reply #369 on: 18 May 2014, 19:41 »

very, very nice!

GarandMarine

• Awakened

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #371 on: 06 Jun 2014, 14:56 »

Did my final staff order with my company today.

It may or may not have been over $600 retail value.

Grognard

« Reply #372 on: 06 Jun 2014, 19:50 »

Are you still coming to Historicon?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #373 on: 06 Jun 2014, 20:33 »

Maybe. Gonna depend on my company. I gotta sit down with my boss sometime next week. I probably will be there in some official capacity though.

Grognard

« Reply #374 on: 06 Jun 2014, 20:45 »

I'll buy the first round!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #375 on: 06 Jun 2014, 21:09 »

Kill! And as a bonus since I won't have any where to be after. I think I'm gonna go up to D.C., do the National Museum of the Marine Corps and shit.

...and Arlington.

Always Arlington.

Grognard

« Reply #376 on: 07 Jun 2014, 21:12 »

the NMMC alone is worth the trip.
but I'm baised.
they're one of my clients.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #377 on: 07 Jun 2014, 22:24 »

I gotta visit SSgt Reckless at the NMMC, I helped get her statue built.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #378 on: 09 Jun 2014, 12:14 »

Woo! So glad I didn't buy an British Stuarts with my staff order. I have a couple British tank commander models so they're easy enough to convert. I was considering grabbing four for my British Grenadier Guard and decided to hold off for now, get my M10s and my Anti Air before anything else, but low and behold I got handed a free box of U.S. Stuarts today.

Grognard

« Reply #379 on: 09 Jun 2014, 16:54 »

Eghads!!

now they're just THROWING free stuff at you?

I simply MUST come work for the company....

salary of $75k + commission + bonuses, right?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #380 on: 09 Jun 2014, 17:07 »

I got all my copies of our board games for free. and hahahah. Hah. No commission, being salaried is nice for a sales gig though. No word if they want me for Historicon or not Groggy, but assuming I'm free that weekend and don't have to get the truck loaded I'll probably drive down on my own.

Grognard

« Reply #381 on: 14 Jun 2014, 21:30 »

I've spoken to the Director, NMMC: she is looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #382 on: 15 Jun 2014, 02:11 »

Heh. It's just going home for me Groggy. So I've confirmed it with my friends, I'll be down Friday to hang for the con, and then we're doing D.C. Saturday.

Grognard

« Reply #383 on: 15 Jun 2014, 20:58 »

but Saturday is Numero Uno Maximisto Day for 'Con ???

I'll be there Thursday evening after work, intend to take all day Friday off for it,
of course Saturday,And I'll be there for Sunday too.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #384 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:37 »

So I contacted the Raging Heroes KS team because I'd already confirmed my pledge but I decided I didn't want Ludmilla over Nepharya once their renders came out.

This leaves my final list as thus... assuming I can get "fixed".

Commander Elektra
One Shot Blondie
Karmina Noxx
Volga Potemkine
Snipers
Nepharya (Necro Priestess)
General Ilsa Wolfenstein
Werewolves (Zagrath and Vankaree)
10 girl KST Heavy squad

So I emailed in and Ana had me sorted out inside of forty minutes. "Oh sure! I'll manually remove Ludmilla and add the resin Nepharya you wanted, and then I'll send you an invoice for $10"  extremely fast, very polite, wonderful experience in a KS for me.

On a far more positive note. Elektra looks freaking awesome with her piss cutter.... errr garrison cap. I like it a lot better then her barracks cover. I might however steal that head and stick it on one of my Heavy Trooper girls so the Starshina sticks out even more.

So this head on a heavy trooper's body. Cocky, pissed off, senior NCO. "Fuck you I'm wearing my nice hat today bitch."

And then the glorious Commander looking as such. I wish we could get piss cutters looking this good IRL >.>;

All these weapons options have me really excited too. I'm already trying to figure out some kind of skirmish game or even RPG I can start using my squadette for.

Also going to post this, just because it's gorgeous.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #385 on: 18 Jun 2014, 13:47 »

Yup. So buying these when they go into general sale. And investing in their Not Sisters of Battle and Not Dark Eldar/Elves lines when that kickstarter happens.

Grognard

« Reply #386 on: 18 Jun 2014, 19:50 »

? oddly, I prefer the round barracks cap over the pisscutter by a considerable margin. ?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #387 on: 18 Jun 2014, 20:31 »

Not odd at all, for my personal wear unless I'm in a flight suit I don't wear the piss cutter, the barracks cap is far sexier. I just happen to think the model above looks way more bad ass with her piss cutter on.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #388 on: 20 Jun 2014, 13:31 »

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2014, 06:52 by GarandMarine »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #389 on: 06 Jul 2014, 08:30 »

[Neckbearding Intensifies]

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #390 on: 06 Jul 2014, 09:53 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #391 on: 06 Jul 2014, 11:53 »

My wallet!

Grognard

« Reply #392 on: 08 Jul 2014, 20:28 »

ha. I don't deal in W40K unless I can make $$ off a sale.

now a "museum-scale" ZEUS at N scale...

!!! GIMMEE !!!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #393 on: 12 Jul 2014, 08:14 »

[Neckbearding Intensifies]

Only $150!

The Space Wolves Force includes: Krom Dragongaze, 1 Space Wolf Pack of 10 miniatures and 5 Wolf Guard Terminators.

The Ork Force includes: Grukk Face-rippa, 5 Ork Nobz, 3 Killa Kans and 10 Gretchin with a Runtherd.

The 32 page Stormclaw Campaign Supplement contains three missions that use the miniatures in the box and details the bloody confrontation between Grukk and Krom as they clash on the Blistered Isle. There are also Datasheets for every unit in the box including Grukk and Krom, plus two new Formations.

The boxed set also includes a handy small-format paperback edition of Warhammer 40,000: The Rules.

Not bad at all... especially given I already HAVE orkz... and a few Wolves.

Grognard

« Reply #394 on: 17 Jul 2014, 17:30 »

HISTORICON starts TODAY.
I will be onsite.
I will TRY to use the tapatalk app.
but I know what GM looks like.

:D

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #395 on: 17 Jul 2014, 20:24 »

Shit, I'm not gonna make it Groggy, my company didn't ask me to come help so I'm up North. I didn't want to mention anything cause if the whole job situation...

Grognard

« Reply #396 on: 18 Jul 2014, 10:11 »

Well darn was looking forward to it best of luck on that one I'm enjoying myself at historicon anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #397 on: 18 Jul 2014, 13:24 »

Enjoy bud, I have a car to finish packing

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #398 on: 31 Jul 2014, 19:11 »

I used to play 40k.  I was more into customizing than painting or playing, though.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Grognard

« Reply #399 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:16 »

HIGHLY creative work.  I like!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up