THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Painting!  (Read 150226 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Mini Painting!
« Reply #400 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:22 »

A born Ork player if ever there was one!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #401 on: 31 Jul 2014, 22:55 »

For the longest time, ork models were crap, so ork players had to get very creative.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #402 on: 01 Aug 2014, 20:42 »

To be honest, in the early to mid 90s, every mini was crap, with a few exceptions.
It was only when Brian Nelson was hired did we start seeing the modern style of Ork. And Gorkamorka certainly did help raise the Ork profile for a time.
You know, if GW had any brains, they'd release that game in time for Mad Max Fury Road next year, considering how much influence the original films had on the game.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #403 on: 01 Aug 2014, 23:14 »

Yes, but other armies got model releases periodically (i.e. special events).  Orks were one of the last to be updated for 4th edition, and the stuff prior to that was really bad.  Have you seen the old trukk models?
(click to show/hide)

For scale, the crew guys are slightly smaller than a guardsman.  Not even scale-consistent with other ork models.  Why do you think we looted everything?
(click to show/hide)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #404 on: 02 Aug 2014, 07:11 »

That is the beautiful thing about Orks though. You can just let your imagination go wild, make it look sloppy and ramshackle and it makes great ork stuff.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #405 on: 02 Aug 2014, 07:28 »

Yes, but other armies got model releases periodically (i.e. special events).  Orks were one of the last to be updated for 4th edition, and the stuff prior to that was really bad.  Have you seen the old trukk models?
Son, I don't need to see the old trukks, I had nearly half a dozen of them. They were released for Gorkamorka, with two of them being in the boxed set.
Anyway, the whole idea of them was that you built them up and make them look more ramshackle, and take a couple of Boyz and convert them into drivers and gunners.
And to be fair, Orks got far more updates more often that the Dark Eldar or Necrons did. The memetic lack of updates for the Dark Eldar became so bad that GW made a reference to it in the 40k rulebook.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #406 on: 02 Aug 2014, 14:16 »

Speaking of Conversions, I've been working on a minor ML conversion, because GW will NEVER give me enough ML bitz to do things up properly...

(click to show/hide)
Obviously I took a lot of inspiration out of the Halo rocket launcher. I think it looks pretty solid as far as twin tube, mag fed ML goes. Thoughts guys?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #407 on: 02 Aug 2014, 16:39 »

The rest of the Long Fang squad:

In deference to Space Wolves custom, and in defiance of my own personal taste, I even have some guys running around without helmets!

The second major conversion
(click to show/hide)

Slightly different then his buddy, but it isn't bothering me at all, and if pushed they're master crafted MLs made by two different Iron Priests working off of similar designs.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #408 on: 02 Aug 2014, 17:33 »

Son, I don't need to see the old trukks, I had nearly half a dozen of them. They were released for Gorkamorka, with two of them being in the boxed set.
Anyway, the whole idea of them was that you built them up and make them look more ramshackle, and take a couple of Boyz and convert them into drivers and gunners.
And to be fair, Orks got far more updates more often that the Dark Eldar or Necrons did. The memetic lack of updates for the Dark Eldar became so bad that GW made a reference to it in the 40k rulebook.

Fair point.  Though, 3rd ed plastic necrons looked pretty cool to start with.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #409 on: 04 Aug 2014, 14:34 »

3rd Ed Crons also barely had any models. Let's be real here.

Trying to decide what minis I want to enter into the model show at NDK... I have some excellent ones already finished I can show off... or I can do something stupid and try and get my diorama of Miyamoto Musashi's duel with Sasaki Kojiro done before the show... (translation: I am doing that)

Probably going to bring the female Imperial Guard unit too... that way I have a single fig, a diorama and a unit, but I need to confirm I can make three entries. Maybe that griffon rider too... but I'm less confident in him in general and I don't want to over do it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #410 on: 05 Aug 2014, 23:58 »

Okay, feedback time folks, lemme have it:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #411 on: 25 Aug 2014, 21:20 »

New model I just finished putting together. Her backstory is she was born to a noble mage family, and eventually got sick of being locked in a literal ivory tower and pulled a Hua Mulan, disguising herself in the armor and tunic of a Sea Soldier, taking great pains to conceal her spell book and hide her family sword, the spell blade Arashi no Kaze (Storm Wind). During a border skirmish the nobles leading the force of sea soldiers and elite Elven cavalry are killed by a brutal form of dark magic, and as the start of a blizzard swirls around the clashing army, she casts aside her helm, and lifts Arashi no Kaze to signal a charge, even as she bows her head, her spell book manifesting itself as she begins to call her magic to her to strike back at the enemy sorcerer...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #412 on: 01 Sep 2014, 15:22 »

I am selling a big pile of orkz.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151399472495?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

You should totally buy them

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #413 on: 01 Sep 2014, 18:25 »

thanks for the offer.

I'll point it out to guys who do W40K.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #414 on: 01 Sep 2014, 18:29 »

Finally getting started on my Deadzone Rebs, hopefully have some pictures up of progress tomorrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #415 on: 01 Sep 2014, 22:05 »

Pulled down the ebay listing, going to try bartertown first, if you're interested or have a friend who is, PM me.

A brief guide to making a tactical weapon.

Step 1: Don't do this. To anything.

« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2014, 00:16 by GarandMarine »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #416 on: 02 Sep 2014, 07:57 »

hmmm. Needs more dakka.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #417 on: 02 Sep 2014, 12:38 »

Ooops. Wrong thread. XD

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #418 on: 02 Sep 2014, 17:31 »

I agree, needs more dakka.  Possibly some kind of rocket on top with an angry face painted on.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #419 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:04 »

Pretty sure that was just for the lolz. Like the time I mounted a Leupold and an ACOG on an M320. 

Grognard

« Reply #420 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:17 »

here ya go...

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #421 on: 08 Sep 2014, 23:21 »

Things that make me an Alpha nerd.
1. Knowing who Oda Nobunaga (aka The Sixth Demon Lord of Hell) is.
2. Being a fan of him and his tactics. (Holy shit, a samurai during the Sengoku era who not only didn't think tanegashima (early Japanese matchlock rifles) were dishonorable, but employed them to incredible effect)
3. Finding a 25/28mm scale set of water slide transfers with the Oda clan seal.
4. Applying them to my DE army. (At least what I can recover of that army after the "blender style shipping" incident)

Grognard

« Reply #422 on: 09 Sep 2014, 05:02 »

I remember this game...

Nobunaga's Ambition; a game so hard, that after I beat it once, I couldn't bring myself to play it again.

but yeah: I can see Dark Elves being samurai...

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #423 on: 09 Sep 2014, 05:04 »

Uh, aren't dark eldar the sexy-murder-debauchery eldar?  Not really very samurai-ish, unless I've been greatly misinformed about samurai codes of conduct. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #424 on: 09 Sep 2014, 06:10 »

DE being Dark Elves in this case, and still very very grimdark murder murder fun times. The army isn't Samurai themed, I'm just borrowing the Oda clan's crest.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #425 on: 14 Sep 2014, 09:55 »

Got my painting competition results!
1st place - Creature category
2nd place - Single figure category
2nd place - Painted minis (general) category

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #426 on: 14 Sep 2014, 16:04 »

That sounds... Good? Congratulations!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #427 on: 14 Sep 2014, 17:26 »

I'd say it's okay for my first contest.

Grognard

« Reply #428 on: 14 Sep 2014, 21:00 »

congrats! ...you self-deprecating goofball.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #429 on: 14 Sep 2014, 21:28 »

BRB trying to cut wrists with paint brushes over how bad I suck. Kali!

Good news:
Got all the parts I need to fix my stuff up properly and the big pile of 40 Dark Elf Corsairs I ordered. They're well painted enough I'm just changing the skin, a little highlighting and some of the metallics. So that drops my "models to paint" count for the DE by around half.

Grognard

« Reply #430 on: 14 Sep 2014, 21:43 »

BRB trying to cut wrists with paint brushes over how bad I suck. Kali!

I think I read of KALI in a Pratchett novel once?
a crippled swordsman who believes himself to the Last of his Clan
&
the warrior Wizard who became Prime Wizard for multiple points of the compass?

:? long, long time ago.  :?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #431 on: 15 Sep 2014, 00:45 »

A death goddess actually. I picked up her name as a battle cry in some Eskrima lessons.

So apparently I get certificates. Printed on nice paper and everything! My friends picked them up for me since I left the con a day early. I think I'm going to get a frame for them and I'll put them by my painting table with the note "See? You aren't complete shit after all!"

Active Madness

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #432 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:44 »

I've been trying to get back into mini painting as a way of quittin smoking. I'm really out of practice, but I painted up this Malifaux figure a few months ago:

(click to show/hide)

And I found this in a toolbox when I was looking for some paints (which turned out to be crusted up yuckness after years of disuse):
(click to show/hide)

Dragonsreach

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #433 on: 01 Oct 2014, 05:50 »

Does any one else paint miniatures like Warhammer 40k?

Oh yes!
Did some Sisters of Battle , then some of the First Chaos Warriors for White Dwarf.
Then got my Dwarf Lord in the Painted section of the old Dwarf Army Book using a Non-Metal Metallic technique.

Still painting.

Grognard

« Reply #434 on: 29 Oct 2014, 21:43 »

my ROBOTECH Kickstarter began arriving today...

yes, I know they ain't painted, but it's a start....

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #435 on: 29 Oct 2014, 23:07 »

Awww yeah! Heheh and some of the sculpts that got FAFSA in trouble :3

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #437 on: 06 Nov 2014, 13:07 »

Those models do look a bit crap, though I'd imagine in another 5-10 years, 3D printers will be a lot better.  Right now, they have that kind of fat roll thing going on, with the horizontal bulges from the printing process.  The marines' legs really show it.  I'm impressed as fk that 3D printers can manage anything as bits-intensive as the rhino, though. 

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #438 on: 11 Mar 2015, 07:53 »

I sculpted an owlbear hatching.

I used Kneadatite green stuff epoxy.  First attempt with this medium.  I should have made a mold frame somehow.

My gnome Barbarian and his Owlbear friend.  The Dream Team.

Grognard

« Reply #439 on: 12 Mar 2015, 19:17 »

vera, verah cool!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #440 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:51 »

These models are in 1/144 scale, and the colour schemes and markings as historically accurate as I can make them.

For example - from this photo:

In more detail, and coloured, from a variety of sources (like that photo)

And the original 3D printed model in nylon...

My interpretation -  dimensions of model
IN: 2.013 w x 1.998 d x 0.773 h
CM: 5.112 w x 5.074 d x 1.964 h

Some more

To gauge size - an Australian 20c piece is about the same size as a US quarter.

Turkish planes from 1918

Aircraft of various factions in the Russian Civil War - Don Cossacks, West Ukrainians, East Ukrainians, Reds, Whites, Freikorps, Knights of Malta, Lithuanians, Poles...

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Active Madness

« Reply #441 on: 30 Mar 2015, 23:52 »

Got any Camels?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #442 on: 31 Mar 2015, 01:22 »

These models are in 1/144 scale, and the colour schemes and markings as historically accurate as I can make them.
Did you paint the camouflage "squiggles" on the upper surfaces of the Albatross (?) by hand? They're amazingly regular.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #443 on: 31 Mar 2015, 19:33 »

Got any Camels?

If you look carefully... there's a Georgian Camel in the RCW photo.

PC10 is a muddy kharki-green, not the bright green of the drawing.

I have a few others too - and am shortly getting this one :

They're for this game:

One for the whole family - this is a game I ran at CANCON this year.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Grognard

« Reply #444 on: 01 Apr 2015, 17:15 »

I've played that game before with the Son&Heir at Historicon...

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #445 on: 01 Apr 2015, 20:19 »

Did you paint the camouflage "squiggles" on the upper surfaces of the Albatross (?) by hand? They're amazingly regular.
The original is silkscreen printed cloth - so I researched the pattern and colours, and made one spiral using Paint. Then repeated by cut and paste. Then used a colour printer and decal paper. Getting the discontinuities between 64-66" wide strips was tricky.

The result -

These hand-crafted aircraft models aren't large.

The hand that crafted them.

Linke-Crawford and his hexagonal-scheme Aviatik Berg D.I

While all the rest of his Flik (squadron) used black backgrounds for the lettering, he apparently (at least sometimes) used red on one of his aircraft. Hence the option on the decal for black or red background, black or red filling. Interpreting colours from orthochrome film is something of an art. This one's usually thought to be black background, red filling.

Active Madness

« Reply #446 on: 05 Apr 2015, 04:53 »

That sounds quite nifty - is it a game that needs much of an investment to get enough stuff to play a game with?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #447 on: 07 Apr 2015, 04:56 »

That sounds quite nifty - is it a game that needs much of an investment to get enough stuff to play a game with?

The Kickstarter that gave the complete rules and 4 aircraft for $49 USD has just ended.
However, you can get the rules for $25 USD and each aircraft costs about $10-$15 USD - that's for the ones already painted, like these:

So no, $90 would be more than enough. Careful though, it's addictive.

Some start with just the basic rules - no bombing, balloon busting, AA etc - and 2 aircraft. Those packs cost about $22

Real afficionados have the pre-painted ones - all 60 or so of them - but want more, so get 3D Nylon models like this

Paint a decal them themselves.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2015, 05:12 by ZoeB »

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #448 on: 19 May 2015, 02:14 »

Many people know about the "Red Baron", Freiherr Manfred Von Richthofen, and his all-red Fokker Dr.I triplane, Well, triplanes. And a few that weren't aall-red. And some Albatrosses that were.

Anyway... few know that he apparently got the idea from Jean Navarre, "the Sentinel of Verdun" who had a red Nieuport 11 (and at least 2 Nieuport 16s...) a year earlier.

Anyway, here's my interpretation of the Nieuport 11 "Bebe" N 872. It's the size of a butterfly, sitting on the back of my hand.

A rather larger contemporary, also first flown in 1915 and entering service in January 1916 - on the Eastern Front intially, though it later transferred to the West and was used to bomb London in the first "Battle of Britain" in 1917-1918, was the Zeppelin Staaken R.IV. serial R.12/15.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #449 on: 19 May 2015, 15:32 »

The large biplane looks like something straight out of a steampunk comic! I know steampunk is normally all about the airships, but Klaus Wulfenbach would love that.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up