THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 12:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 155872 times)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Two days seems like a long time to be hugging Maurice, but maybe he just smells that good.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

My worst fear right now is that the next strip shows Marten back in Northampton, telling people about his trip to Vermont. But surely Jeph can't be that cruel, can he?
What do you know about Pokémon?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Monday next week: Four panels of Yelling bird eating Crunchos.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Hannelore stabs Claire while shouting "There's one (stab) Woobie in this (stab) strip (stab) and it's (stab) ME! (stab stab stab)"
Last panel: Hannelore wakes up.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Claire, the purveyor of all things aromatic. Including Maurice.

My worst fear right now is that the next strip shows Marten back in Northampton, telling people about his trip to Vermont. But surely Jeph can't be that cruel, can he?

Know ye not the malice of a comic author?!
Worry Hat, Engage!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Monday next week: Four panels of Yelling bird eating Crunchos.
Nah, it'll be four panels of Yelling Bird stuffing Crunchos into his cloaica.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I only just now realized today is Friday, which means no comics for two days.

NOOOOOO *deep breath* OOOOOOO!
Oh crap, you're right! :psyduck:

Which almost certainly means nothing's going to happen in the car, because there's not a good position for a cliffhanger - especially because it's coming off of the wedding arc, which means Jeph's almost certainly going to focus on other characters/arcs.

There's about three variations of one way that I could see him doing the return trip.

All three ways involve him focusing on another storyline for a couple days - Monday and Tuesday, Monday and Wednesday, and Tuesday and Wednesday, most likely, are the three ways. Then, the first of the remaining three days is a conversation in the car, the second is Marten and Claire talking about their past love lives (but mostly just Claire's side being shown, because we've already seen Marten's side - this could serve as massive character development for Claire, too), and Friday would be Marten deciding to become assertive, in a reversal of 564, as the cliffhanger.

If that doesn't happen, I think the return trip won't even be shown - not even showing awkward silence - and other story lines will be shown. And, I don't think that will happen, for the record. #1, Marten hasn't been shown as particularly romantically interested in Claire at all, #2, I don't think Jeph's taking the story in that direction, and #3, Marten's already said in-comic that he considers it unethical to date one of the interns (meaning that it'd have to be Claire making the advance in Friday's comic, and given that #564 already DID that...)

That's what I'm almost certain will happen.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

I can't help but think of the Faye-Angus alley conversation strip.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

That said I do think she'll go a little older than has been implied. She's going to date...uh...Jim? Is that his name? Secret Bakery's owner. >_>

She can be Jimbo's muse
Signature

Loki

• comeback tour!

Friday would be Marten deciding to become assertive, in a reversal of 564, as the cliffhanger.

I picture that going about this well.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

"fuck yeah, two dads" t-shirts please....

Seconded
Signature

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I picture that going about this well.

I never noticed before that Faye's two thought bubbles in that rhyme and (roughly) scan as a pair.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That boy-smell is yummy. No, it's not the cologne. It's something gals like Claire sometimes find surprising, and delightful.

I can help confirm this too... It was never something I noticed before going on hormones, but for about a year after I started I noticed that guys smelled good.. and some smelled REALLY good. It still happens, but not so constantly (and damn distractingly...) It was explained to me as female hormone triggered biology to help find mates... Redundant these days really (and double so for trans women...) but we still have it. :)

I've just learned to accept and enjoy it.  :-D

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Isn't finding the boy smell yummy just a female thing? I didn't think it was exclusive to transwomen.

Something about the better they smell, the more genetically suitable a mate they are for you - something about different immune somethings... means higher offspring survival rates or something... (my limited memory of biology is showing here)

Or there could be an awkward silence all the way home. If Claire does decide to bring it up, it will be when she's dropping Marten off at his apartment. For certain it won't be Marten taking the initiative to talk about it...

I predict awkward silence - or at the very least ignoring of the issue. Marten has decided to be less passive about things many times over the course of QC, but he always drifts back to being passive, so I doubt if this is likely to be any different...

It'd be nice if they talked about it in the car though, for all that I think it's unlikely.

One possibility - while talking to Faye or Dora, Marten accidentally lets slip that he and Claire fell asleep together and he woke up in the night with Claire cuddling him/using him as a pillow. Either Claire's there or someone teases her about Marty later and then she decides that actually they should talk about it. It appears that at the moment she's decided lets not bring it up - possibly because she thinks he doesn't know it happened, he was asleep when she moved beds and she could well not remember falling asleep with the light on.... possibly she sleepwalked... who knows?

(Well Jeph obviously, but apart from that...)

Speaking of horrible segues:

Brilliant!  :-D

"fuck yeah, two dads" t-shirts please....

"Horses: nature's elephants" t-shirts please :)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Horses: nature's elephants" t-shirts please :)
^

Reminds me a bit of Fanboys (squirrels are nature's drug dealers, you know).
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cthulhu

• Plantmonster

Life is change. The main character is and always will be Marten, and the other characters will fade and grow in importance and screentime just as the people we see in our own lives do.

I belived the comic had changed from being only about Marten to make it about the lifes of everyone, now im not so sure about that, but i liked it when jeph drew several stories at a time.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Isn't finding the boy smell yummy just a female thing? I didn't think it was exclusive to transwomen.

That was what I was trying to imply there.. it's something in the hormone balance, it seems...

My prediction is also that both will try to avoid the issue.... And that something will happen to make Claire bring it up. She just seems so much worse at passively avoiding uncomfortable subjects than Marten is. :)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

something about different immune somethings... means higher offspring survival rates or something

Rats at least, I don't remember about people, prefer smells from others with different Major Histocompatibility Complexes. They're less likely to be close relatives.

Also, Neko_AB, welcome!
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2013, 13:47 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Thankee.. I've been lurking around the WCDT pages for a while now.. I finally got off my duff and registered so I could chat about the comic. :)

Loki

• comeback tour!

The way I read the thing with the smell is that it happens with women, but happens more prominently with people freshly transitioned to female, because it's a bit like getting an extra sense. I assume ZoeB will elaborate on that.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

So, my prediction for next week.. Marten will bring up the snuggles with one of the other cast members, who will of course not be able to keep the secret, and then when it gets back to Claire, they're finally forced to talk about it with each other.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Don't see that happening, sorry. That would be "Tai outs Faye&Angus to Marigold" all over again.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Ooohh, yes, I forgot about that one. That was a little more serious, though. This is just light-hearted yet potentially awkward silliness.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I dunno. One of the more admirable traits Jeph has given Marten is discretion.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

But is this really something it's necessary to be discreet about? I mean, a kiss or something with romantic intent would be one thing, but I can't see the harm in it coming up in conversation of the weekend.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I just don't see that conversation ending well. Or non-awkward. "oh so I totally cuddled with you when you were asleep" "yeah, I noticed, but I didn't want to move you."

hmmm, writing it out makes it seem like it's not a huge deal. Talk ahead!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[seanconnery] Being shnugglebuddiesh is not a bad thing! SHTOP TRYING TO CONVINTSH MEH OTHERWISE, dammit! [/seanconnery]

edit:
My best bet would be this whole ordeal going into the "plot device for a later time" folder due to Marten being too passive about it and Claire either actually spacing on it or being too nervous about whatever.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

She's confided in him. Another story possibility is just such a mention in conversation of the snuggles, either inadvertent or thinking it could do no harm, and her seeing that as a betrayal.

Or, you know, her approach could be "This never happened."

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Possibly, but I think it'd be more likely that she'd just feel embarrassed, not betrayed. She did confide in him about being trans, and THAT would be horrible of Marten to bring up to someone else. I don't really think sleepy snuggles counts as confiding in someone.

But I do think it will likely be her approach to pretend it never happened, haha.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

"We were sleeping, that was all" kind of conversation.

But still could be awkward, remember this?  :-D :

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

The way I read the thing with the smell is that it happens with women, but happens more prominently with people freshly transitioned to female, because it's a bit like getting an extra sense. I assume ZoeB will elaborate on that.
No need to, that covers it pretty well.  I assume most girls find the same thing at puberty. Parenthetically, the change of sense of smell was one of the first symptoms of my change. That and my eyes changing colour - something that happens to many girls at puberty, estrogen spikes cause change to melanin content of the iris, fascinating stuff...

Moving right along.... I can see in a few months time Claire remarking to Marten "You know at your Dads' wedding? I had the strangest dream after the reception... " And it not beng mentioned till then. No big deal.

OTOH Virginia is treating Claire like a prospective Daughter in law. I hope Virginia finds someone to partner with, no-one should be lonely like that.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Veronica.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

OTOH Virginia is treating Claire like a prospective Daughter in law. I hope Virginia finds someone to partner with, no-one should be lonely like that.

That's pretty much how she's treated all the girls in Marten's life though. She certainly acted motherly to Dora when they broke up.

Side note: I can't help but read your name as ZooBee, that terrifying vacuum/hair cutter that was around in the 70s/80s and in the past year or so.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

That's pretty much how she's treated all the girls in Marten's life though. She certainly acted motherly to Dora when they broke up.

She was a bitch to Faye though.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

That and my eyes changing colour - something that happens to many girls at puberty, estrogen spikes cause change to melanin content of the iris, fascinating stuff...

I.. uh.. what kinda change? Haven't been paying attention to that.  :psyduck:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

I'm in the minority here, but I don't see the big deal about the sleeping together/cuddling thing or why it's something they need to talk about. I have slept on the same bed as some girl friends of mine, touching/cuddling (which is hard NOT to do when you're sharing a singles bed) and it was never a big deal. At most we would reference the fact we shared a bed jokingly at a later time, but so far the dismissing of the whole thing as it's being portrayed in the comic feels natural and realistic to me. Nothing happened, they're not in a romantic relationship or expressed any desire to be in one with each other so it's not really a big issue, I think.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

I'm in the minority here, but I don't see the big deal about the sleeping together/cuddling thing or why it's something they need to talk about. I have slept on the same bed as some girl friends of mine, touching/cuddling (which is hard NOT to do when you're sharing a singles bed) and it was never a big deal. At most we would reference the fact we shared a bed jokingly at a later time, but so far the dismissing of the whole thing as it's being portrayed in the comic feels natural and realistic to me. Nothing happened, they're not in a romantic relationship or expressed any desire to be in one with each other so it's not really a big issue, I think.

But what else will we obsess over!!

But in all seriousness, I totally agree with you. I'm a very snuggly person, so I cuddle with my friends all the time. But at the same time, Claire doesn't really seem like that type of personality. Or if she is, she doesn't seem altogether comfortable with it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Sometimes it's the uptight ones who are secret snugglers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Because we love our soap operas.

Which is funny, because soap operas as they were 20-30 years ago basically no longer exist.

This, of course, explains reality TV and webcomics.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There is and will always be only one soap opera.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Marten obviously reacted quite strongly both to the fact that they slept so close to one another and to the fact that Claire hade moved during the night, which would seem to mean that he has some need to clarify things. IOW, it does seem like it could be a big deal to Marten, even if it might not be to Claire.
What do you know about Pokémon?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I.. uh.. what kinda change? Haven't been paying attention to that. 
My GP noticed it before I did. I used to have dark-chocolate-brown eyes. Now olive-green with russet centres. When my GP saw that, he got me an emergency endo appointment with the best specialist available in the southern hemisphere.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Portland, Oregon, where we're never short of hipsters, or great food!
And great beer, too, I heard. Although Asheville, NC beat you to that in recent years.  8-)
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2013, 03:21 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Speaking of horrible segues:

Oh no. That is IT, young lady! :P

You people are FAR TOO PUNNY!
I'm outta here.
;D

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Oh look, a punocolypse.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

This thread has too many Puns, I feel left out because I specialize in sarcastic humor instead of puns.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

See, that's why you gotta diversify.

As an Australian, I've a long history at self-deprecation. Might not be any good at it, but hey, gotta do something with all the free time I have.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

My GP noticed it before I did. I used to have dark-chocolate-brown eyes. Now olive-green with russet centres. When my GP saw that, he got me an emergency endo appointment with the best specialist available in the southern hemisphere.

Ah, that's alright then. I was always (Greyish)Blue-Yellow Central Heterochromat. This type of thing, but with less pronounced outer edges:

(click to show/hide)

(Yes, apparently I am that Swedish as a matter of genetics.)
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

As an Australian, I've a long history at self-deprecation. Might not be any good at it,...
Oh, I'd call that a promising start, unlike my own modest efforts at it. Modest - as in
A modest man, who has much to be modest about.
W.S.Churchiill, on Clement Atlee
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up