THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program? Anyone?  (Read 105675 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Kerbal Space Program? Anyone?
« Reply #100 on: 19 Jun 2013, 16:30 »

Ah, I didn't try SAS, but I got it up 130km before activating the stages. I'm plunging to Earth right now. Still 100km or so up.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #101 on: 19 Jun 2013, 16:34 »

So I landed in the ocean and...I'm still in the ocean. Now what?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #102 on: 19 Jun 2013, 16:42 »

It looks like you're getting pretty far out. If you want to get into orbit, what you'll need to do is when you get to about 20 km, turn off SAS (or toggle it off temporarily with the F key) and slowly tilt your rocket so you point along the 90 degree line (east) on the navigation ball, starting about 20 degrees from the pole and gradually moving toward the horizon. If you press the M key, it'll give you a map that shows you what your path will be. When you're at the apogee, you'll want to fire horizontally until it shows your perigee above 70 km. To make it easier, you can set up a maneuver node by clicking on your path and then dragging the controls until you get the orbit you want. If you press M again to get out of map mode, it'll tell you how long you have to burn for, how long until your node arrives, and there will be a blue marker on the navigation ball to tell you what direction to burn in.

Warning - while you were typing a capsule has splashed down. You may wish to press Escape, hit "End Flight", and launch again.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #103 on: 19 Jun 2013, 16:44 »

Oh. What happens if I just keep heading straight up? Will it keep going indefinitely?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #104 on: 19 Jun 2013, 17:00 »

If you have enough fuel, you'll get onto an escape trajectory from the planet and start orbiting the sun. If you keep going, you'll eventually escape the sun, and then go off indefinitely.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #105 on: 19 Jun 2013, 19:10 »

And if you start to get discouraged, here's a real astronaut failing to get into orbit in KSP.  :-P
(To be fair, there's a fair amount of game experience we take for granted, like a natural use of WASD for example.)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #106 on: 20 Jun 2013, 14:05 »

Building up my support fleet for the Jool station.

Train with the 3 extra fuel tanks, RCS lower extention, and 2 tugs being pulled by a 4-nuke-engine tug. This will be enough to "complete" the station, but most of the orange tanks will be empty by then. When it was full, it weighed in at 184 tonnes.

So here's 1 of the resupply tanks I'll send with the fleet. No idea yet how many I'll need to top off the station, though it's looking like it will get there with maybe half the fuel left, so perhaps 6 will do.

The main station has left Kerbin influence, but with the nuclear engines, it takes several passes to get enough delta-V for the full trip, so here's the current orbits of the parts train, and 2 fuel tanks (the 3 highly eccentric orbits). That represents about 1/3 of the total delta-V to get to Jool, the rest of which I'll supply on a long burn at Periapsis for each of them. I'll probably have time to get a couple more fuel tanks in orbit while waiting.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #107 on: 20 Jun 2013, 14:15 »

Last night I sent my new design to Duna. Made it into orbit successfully with plenty of fuel left. Then I realized I forgot to put a control pod on the orbiting module, so it became debris as soon as I separated the landing module. Then I stupidly clicked "End Flight" instead of "Space Center." At that point I decided it was time to quit playing for the night.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #108 on: 20 Jun 2013, 22:15 »

I learned the hard way that even if it isn't space junk, wait a bit before ending the mission of a ship you've just undocked. I undocked a refueling drone, switched to it, hit end mission, and my whole station disappeared (fortunately not anything as involved as the ones I've been showing).

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #109 on: 24 Jun 2013, 20:15 »

I just succeeded at a robotic round-trip to Duna. Next step, some lucky Kerbals will take one small step and Kerbalkind will take one giant leap on Duna.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #110 on: 02 Jul 2013, 01:43 »

New space station, and lots more docking practice. Though it's funny, I've gotten so used to slugging around massive objects, that when I went to dock the "escape" pods on the docking tree pointing off the side, I had trouble with how twitchy they were even with fine controls on.

I have an idea for a video let's play that I think will be pretty unique, but I'll need to install another hard drive to have room for the files.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #111 on: 04 Jul 2013, 14:26 »

Landed a manned mission on Duna for the first time, and it's mostly intact. The bad news is that the part it lost is the docking port it needs to connect to the service module in orbit for the fuel to return to Kerbin. Oh, and its parachutes, too.

(click to show/hide)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #112 on: 04 Jul 2013, 15:20 »

Rescue mission time!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #113 on: 04 Jul 2013, 16:18 »

Yeah, I have to decide how to do it. I have at least enough fuel to get into orbit, and possibly enough to get into an encounter with Kerbin. One thing I'm considering is to get into an encounter with Kerbin, and while in the encounter, launch the rescue mission, where I'd try to get close enough to transfer the crew by EVA (can't dock, of course). The issue there would be I almost certainly wouldn't have enough fuel to get into a stable orbit around Kerbin, so to match speeds, I'd have to accelerate the rescue ship to escape velocity, then once the crew is transferred slow it down again (hopefully before it leave the sphere of influence). There would be little tolerance for error on that.

I suppose the easier option would be simply to get into Duna orbit, then send the rescue mission all the way to Duna orbit and transfer the crew there.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #114 on: 04 Jul 2013, 17:14 »

Getting an intersect on a hyperbolic trajectory would be epic!

Hmmm, thinking about it, if you could get the ship to be rescued to hit an encounter with Minmus or Mun when they're on the approach side to Kerbin, you could park your rescue ship in orbit there, adjust orbit for an intersect, burn like crazy to catch up, transfer crew, then you'd have time to slow down before nearing Kerbin. It would actually be a really good scenario to suggest to one of the YouTubers like Scott Manley.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #115 on: 04 Jul 2013, 22:25 »

While I have little interest in playing, I did want to say that I've been eagerly following the chronicles and escapades in this thread.

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #116 on: 23 Jul 2013, 13:53 »

Yes! I finally got Space Station Alpha in orbit. Almost totally by accident, but it still counts. Those brave Kerbalnauts Bill, Jeb and Bob (and some other guys) died in my previous attempts as a result of a combination of insufficient thrust overall, and  too much thrust and insufficient bracing. Ended up in a ridiculously eccentric orbit (400km apoapsis and 75 Km periapsis) and no rocket fuel left to round it off. Luckily I stuck a honking great RCS tank on the station core, because I burned half of it getting a decent orbit between 241 and 245 Km (all that time watching Let's Plays tuned out to useful, after all) .

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2018, 13:36 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #117 on: 24 Jul 2013, 17:11 »

Very nice!

Version 0.21 is out now. Be aware it breaks saves, so install into new folder or follow this Steam guide for keeping the older version.

Also: Kerbalnaut "training" video.  :laugh:

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #118 on: 24 Jul 2013, 17:53 »

Breaks saves as in you can't use an old save on the new version, or as in a save in the new version is incompatible with the old version (e.g. if you decide to revert to the old version)?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #119 on: 24 Jul 2013, 21:39 »

Both directions. The .craft files themselves can be physically transferred to the new install's VAB or SPH folder so you can load in any old spacecraft you've designed, but since ASAS, SAS, and Pod mechanics are different, you might have to dump those parts and re-attach the new versions to get them to work correctly, or in some cases tweak this aspect to get fully functional spacecraft.

Essentially, some pods and control items now have stabilization wheels with a certain amount of torque (listed in description), so you might have to add more to get enough control. They also use electricity when turning the ship, so make sure you have enough power being stored or generated to do this. From the forums, it seems that some old designs don't have enough torque to hold position. On the other hand, you can now leave SAS on and still perform maneuvers, so you'd be able to turn with it on, and when you let go of the control, it will then lock on pretty much where you stopped your input.

In short, some craft will be more stable because of these changes, and some less (or even unflyable) until you overhaul the control system, so be aware when using your old designs. I'm only just now playing with it, so haven't run into any particular issues I've heard described, however.

While I've been waiting, I've been designing some of the ships and station parts I want to use for the Let's Play I'm planning, so now I should be able to start recording the play sessions. The idea calls for a lot of post-production, however, so it will be a while before episodes start getting uploaded, but I may use you guys as guinea kerbals for some test footage.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #120 on: 25 Jul 2013, 07:42 »

Ah, okay. In that case, I think I'll stick with the old version until I get around to returning my lander from Duna.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #121 on: 25 Jul 2013, 08:38 »

Oh man, the performance increase! I love the new control/sas system, it's awesome!
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Eternal_Newbie

« Reply #122 on: 25 Jul 2013, 12:07 »

Hmm, the save breaking is annoying. I guess I'll start a new game and get the station up right this time (and unmanned - for some reason I kept on getting a crew in the station even though I put a remote control on). Wouldn't be surprised if someone already has a save game converter underway, though.

EDIT: I just can't get used to the changed SAS/ASAs myself, I'm actually giving in and seeing if mechjeb has updated :(
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2013, 05:06 by Eternal_Newbie »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #123 on: 27 Jul 2013, 11:28 »

Did you get the 0.21.1 patch? Fixed a lot of the SAS issues people were having, as well as adding lots of torque to the large ASAS (in 0.21 it was only a controller for other reaction wheels, RCS, and aero surfaces, but didn't have any torque itself).

Eternal_Newbie

« Reply #124 on: 28 Jul 2013, 09:52 »

Hadn't realised that was the case, I just thought I was getting more used to things. I'm on 21.1 now and also have MechJeb now. Lost a few rockets figuring Mechjeb out (just one crew).

Orbited the new station core without MechJeb and docked a crew module with MechJeb (I love the rendezvous and docking autopilots).  Now to Mun and beyond!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #125 on: 28 Jul 2013, 10:58 »

Just managed to get my stranded Duna mission into Kerbin orbit, and I've transferred the crew into a rescue ship. Now to get them safely back to Kerbin.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #127 on: 28 Jul 2013, 20:17 »

And now they're safely back on Kerbin. They landed on the ice cap at the North Pole.

(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #128 on: 28 Jul 2013, 20:46 »

:D :D :D :D :D

Thank goodness you had a rescue/recovery team waiting there to pick them up so that they wouldn't freeze or starve to death.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #129 on: 29 Jul 2013, 07:59 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #130 on: 10 Aug 2013, 14:59 »

I started building a space station. Currently it only has a core module and a hab module with space for 11 kerbals. There are currently 4 kerbals on board: one in the core module and three in the hab module. Next things to build will be an RCS tanker to refuel the station's tanks, and a capsule to shuttle kerbals to and from the station.

(click to show/hide)

edit -- got annoyed trying to dock a refueling tanker, and installed MechJeb. I feel dirty now.  :roll:

edit2 -- Shelry is not enjoying his stay on the Interkerbinal Space Station:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2013, 11:00 by cesium133 »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #131 on: 22 Aug 2013, 15:22 »

Nice start to the station! I haven't had time to play much myself, lately. But I think I'm close to being able to start recording my video series.

In the meantime, Nassault has released another incredible cinematic video, this time featuring Bill. Do check out his other clips, particularly his Jeb video.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #132 on: 28 Aug 2013, 22:36 »

So I decided to send a rover to Eve. It was going perfectly, until...

(click to show/hide)

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #133 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:45 »

Yeah Eve is a cow to get to, even harder than Duna IMO. I landed but I have 0 fuel to get back home. Whelp.\

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2013, 09:06 by bryntheskits »
Hurp

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #134 on: 30 Aug 2013, 06:48 »

I sent another rover and managed to land on dry land this time. The spacecraft I use to send these rovers actually deploys four of them, but since I can only control one at a time, and a craft that you don't control won't deploy its parachutes, I can only actually land one, and the rest crash into the surface.

(click to show/hide)

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #135 on: 30 Aug 2013, 09:05 »

I sent another rover and managed to land on dry land this time. The spacecraft I use to send these rovers actually deploys four of them, but since I can only control one at a time, and a craft that you don't control won't deploy its parachutes, I can only actually land one, and the rest crash into the surface.

(click to show/hide)
Very interested in this, are you able to post the craft file? I've been playing for ages but need inspiration for different successful rockets and their stages.
Hurp

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #136 on: 30 Aug 2013, 09:58 »

Sure, this is the craft file including the launcher, and this is the craft file for just the rover. The lower stages of the launcher are based on a design I found on the KSP forum. The way I deploy the rovers is I get the craft into a collision course with Eve, then I trigger the decouplers to separate the rovers, and then I fire the engine to get the main body of the craft out of the collision course. I land one of the rovers (the others crash into the surface) and then I switch to the main craft and fire its engine to get it into a stable orbit.

edit -- oh, and I should warn you, there's a bug in the staging for that rocket that causes the middle stage to separate at the same time the rovers separate. It's not a killer problem (the rocket has lots of excess delta-V), but if you want to try it out, you'll likely want to change that part of the staging.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2013, 10:10 by cesium133 »

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #137 on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:01 »

(click to show/hide)
Easy, once the chute has opened, hit the next vessel key!
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #138 on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:05 »

I tried that but couldn't get it to work. When I looked at the map screen the other rovers had already disappeared.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #139 on: 30 Aug 2013, 12:01 »

Sure, this is the craft file including the launcher, and this is the craft file for just the rover.
Thanks, will take a look at them now. I already make a rover loosely based on your design and it is really stable and even upon losing a wheel it's still quite speedy, still haven't gotten it anywhere though because I'm having problems getting the rovers to redock wince they are too heavy for the attraction force of the small docks to pull upwards (I really want them to be able to re-dock with the landing craft, and I would be able to using RCS on Mun but I would rather not have to rely on that).

(click to show/hide)
Hurp

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #140 on: 31 Aug 2013, 02:02 »

So kinda gave up troubleshooting, slapped the things I think it needed on and shot it to the Mun. After a successful landing (and after realising I forgot to add boosters to last stage, RCS saved me) I deplyed the rovers and all seems well, it even docks (thanks low gravity). Placement of some of the solar panels etc on the base is iffy but then again I only got the thing to Mun to test out the rovers. Also imgur went wonky when I cropped it so its small but you get the jist.

Hurp

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #141 on: 31 Aug 2013, 09:08 »

Looks awesome! And it's neat that you can redock them. I never really considered that on mine since I don't have a way to get them back from Eve.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #142 on: 31 Aug 2013, 09:33 »

Yeah, docking isn't really needed in practice (right now), but I thought it would be an awesome little feature and felt the need to do it. Though in my current design I have RCS tanks on the lander so the rovers can refuel, which makes docking necessary, I'm also thinking of other things I could add to the lander to make the rovers more portable.

EDIT: Suddenly got bored of complex rovers and space missions, so decided to build some really simple planes instead. Got a single engine plane to 1708m/s, with a nice arc covering quite a distance.

(click to show/hide)

Made a larger one but it's 7am so I should stop and sleep maybe.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2013, 11:57 by bryntheskits »
Hurp

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #143 on: 03 Sep 2013, 14:10 »

I landed the rovers' deployment ship on Gilly. It was a bit tricky to find a flat enough spot that the ship wouldn't fall over.

(click to show/hide)

I've also designed a spaceplane-based launcher for my rover, for potential use on Laythe. It's still got some bugs to work out, though, and trying to work out its bugs revealed why I can only land one of my four rovers on Eve: if you have more than one ship in atmosphere (but not landed), and they're more than 2.5 km apart, the game will forget about any non-active vessels. I accidentally killed one of my pilots that way while testing my spaceplane-based launcher. So, to keep the plane from getting more than 2.5 km away from the rover, I added a parachute to kill its speed... and the parachute kills the plane instead.

(click to show/hide)

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #144 on: 03 Sep 2013, 16:19 »

Gonna have to chuck a couple 'shoots on it, parts break easily under heavy acceleration change.

Just finished my last assignment due this week, going to try getting my rovers to other planets, as well as a couple satellites to relay information home.
Hurp

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #145 on: 14 Sep 2013, 14:51 »

Saw this posted on another forum... I'm guessing they're using the torque from the command pod to do that.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #146 on: 15 Sep 2013, 10:08 »

Probably some mod, The raising looks like it wouldn't be possible with stock parts.
Hurp

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #147 on: 16 Sep 2013, 20:23 »

First of all, Nassault posted another amazing machinima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_M9oszXw8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUqo1euqkWqrOT9r6fU6hKNQ

Second, where the hell can I find the mod for that jeep?! I swear I've seen it before but the link on the video is broken and a solid three hours of scouring Spaceport and the forums has yielded nothing. Any leads?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #148 on: 17 Sep 2013, 02:30 »

Yeah, that was amazing. Going by comments, the vehicle is a Russian UAZ, so maybe a search on that will yield results? It has to be a current mod because of course, it's being used in 21.1 for this film.

I also watched his cinematic "Stigler" based on War Thunder and a true story from WWII. Some of the scenes looked better than what we saw in Red Tails (Hollywood CGI consistently gets aircraft and their flight characteristics really really wrong no matter what the budget thrown at it may be).

Edit: OH! and the line: "Don't worry. Jeb taught me this." Priceless.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2013, 02:59 by Jimor »

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #149 on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:51 »

Jimor, that was it. It's included in the CleverBobcat plugin, which hasn't been updated for the new version. We'll see how it works, I guess!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up