THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program? Anyone?  (Read 105765 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: Kerbal Space Program? Anyone?
« Reply #200 on: 24 Apr 2016, 09:59 »

I did the whole video during a Twitch live stream (I've highlighted it so if anybody is curious about specific processes you can click around the video), start to finish was just under 7 hours. The crazy rocket montage was probably about 3 hours of that. It was actually kind of hard to get things to break, so the solution in most cases was to clip in extra tanks attached to decouplers.  :mrgreen: The exception was the spinning rocket, it fell apart by itself WONderfully. :)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #201 on: 29 Apr 2016, 11:54 »

That video was great!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #202 on: 30 Apr 2016, 19:19 »

I just spent two hours trying and failing to get into orbit, and then KSP crashed in the VAB, erasing whatever I had just failed to accomplish.

I think I'm done with KSP.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #203 on: 06 May 2016, 21:40 »

Turns out the solution to the crashing is to run the 64-bit version (I had my start menu shortcut set to the 32-bit version). I'm currently playing a game in Science mode with atmospheric heating set to 30% (don't want to bother with contracts, and I'd prefer my spacecraft go exploring rather than blowing up in the atmosphere...).

edit -- spoke too soon about the crashing shit. There goes my Minmus mission.  :x
« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 22:09 by cesium133 »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #204 on: 17 May 2016, 07:48 »

Well, I tried it again and was a lot more successful. The trick is not to panic when turning using the reaction wheels (something that I fully admit to being bad at); damn, the inerta when your wheels are far off the centre of mass is something else! I've also learned that you should probably start the LV-T45 at about 1/3 throttle to avoid spin-outs during air lights. Similarly, wait until you're over about 10k before executing any gravity turns during launch.

Now, if only I can figure out why my LV has this pesky roll... Maybe I should have RCS and SAS enabled during ascent?

I'm sure it will take me some time to get to a reasonable degree of aptitude with the controls but I feel more confident. I'm definitely buying the full version; I've also got my eye on some mods, specifically the expanded science that includes the OCTOKORE science sensor system and the life support/recycling pods.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #205 on: 17 May 2016, 09:29 »

RCS won't do you much good in Kerbin's atmosphere, but it's a good idea to have SAS on. I think the demo version is from before the changes to atmospheric dynamics, so in that version you want to start your turn after you're above 10k. The current version is more forgiving about that, but a lot less forgiving about other things (in the old versions your parachutes would work regardless of what speed you were coming in at...)

dexeron

• My Twitter
« Reply #206 on: 18 May 2016, 05:44 »

I'm thinking about trying out some of those mods, but I need to get better with efficiency.  I can get places, mostly.  It just takes a really, REALLY long time because I'm not brute force unprecise about it, and I think if I had to juggle life support and supplies on top of that, I'd do pretty poorly. ;)

With regards to stable liftoffs, depending on the shape and length of your craft, fins can be helpful to keep you pointing in the right direction, as can holding off on turns until higher (as you already discovered.)  I like to turn on SAS first, then launch straight up, nudge my craft only slightly to the east when I hit around 50-100 m/s, but then don't touch anything until I get to about 10k meters up.  That when I start gradually turning east to build up my lateral velocity (which, I didn't realize at first, is essential to achieving orbit.)  There's a lot of weird trade-offs between engine power, length of the craft, stability of joints.  I sometimes have to add lots of struts just to keep the craft from flexing and pulling itself off course into a spin just from wobbling like that.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #207 on: 18 May 2016, 05:56 »

There is something... I'm guessing a mod... called 'Kerbal Alarm Clock' that gives you a count-down to all the highest-efficiency launch windows for all the objects in the Kerbol System. That's another 'must have' IMO otherwise you're guessing about when best to launch to objects not orbiting Kerbin.
~~~~

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #208 on: 29 May 2016, 01:46 »

Finished the 2nd Cinematic in the series I'm working on.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #209 on: 06 Jun 2016, 01:14 »

dexeron

• My Twitter
« Reply #210 on: 06 Jun 2016, 06:17 »

Loving these!

(I went back into KSP a couple nights back after having not played for a few months.  Thing crashed all over the place.  Apparently there are discussions on the KSP forums, but I couldn't find a solution.) :(

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #211 on: 16 Jul 2016, 05:01 »

#4 is ready. This one took a while, it was a pretty ambitious mission, and even though I only filmed "what I needed" with each flight, still ended up with 380 clips, and 3.5 hours of footage to squeeze down into 4:38 of song!  :-o

In other news, KSP is now available for XBox1 and PS4 now. Haven't seen any direct reactions yet.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #212 on: 25 Jul 2016, 20:05 »

#5 is ready. Flew a rover to Dres and drove through the small deep canyons there.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #213 on: 18 Jan 2017, 20:34 »

I started a new game over Christmas break, and today I launched a Duna lander mission. Got into low orbit around Duna, detached my lander stage, and then noticed my mistake...

(click to show/hide)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #214 on: 18 Jan 2017, 23:43 »

One thing that I feel KSP needs is that the "engineer's report" in the VAP and SPH need to block 'launch' if you have a seriously broken design (no engine, no parachute, a bad staging sequence or the like). You then have to physically confirm to the game that you wish to proceed to the runway or launch pad despite the problem.

Maybe have that as default on 'easy' and have to be disabled in 'options' on 'normal'.
~~~~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #215 on: 20 Aug 2019, 07:30 »

Kerbal Space Program 2 announced! Expected release date is some time next year!

Expected features:
  • Improved IVA cockpit views
  • Larger Kerbol system
  • Interstellar-ready propulsion
  • Corolis rotational hab sections
  • Extra-Kerbol star systems to explore
  • Colony/münbase builder mode
  • More and better rover parts
Kerbal Space Program - Boldly going where no-one was stupid enough to try to go before!
~~~~

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #216 on: 22 Aug 2019, 23:34 »

I didn't cry at all while watching that.

The Developer Story vid is pretty amazing as well, with a few more brief glimpses of actual game assets.

Also interview from GamesCom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up