THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comic and music styles.  (Read 6182 times)

Cthulhu

• Plantmonster
Comic and music styles.
« on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:15 »

From the musical orientation of the comic i assume a lot of you like indie, to be honest I became curious about it after reading it in QC. But i don´t quite get the relation with heavy metal in its begginings (meaning Dora and Raven being into it), im open minded as for music, but im deffinitly a metalhead, i've listened to it all my life. But funny enough i had never heard of indie, i mean i knew some of the bands mentioned in the comic, i knew the style existed, but i never really took interest so i didn´t know what type of music it was or what bands it was related to (now being curious i realize looking up the bands and "subgroups" is not easy at all). But anyway i realized Jeph gave importance to metal trough jokes and comments and i don´t really get what that comes from, are metal and indie in kind of a fight where you're from? because its deffinitly not that way here.
ps. im not even sure i understand where jephs music style come from (meaning if its really just one big style, or a lot different).
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2013, 11:18 by Cthulhu »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Comic and music styles.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:03 »

I tend to buy and listen to all of Jeph's music, even though this is not my type of music at all.  But I do enjoy the guitar music. 

It is interesting that when I first began reading the comic, I had not heard of most of the bands.  Now, however, I notice when they show up on the Internet and elsewhere. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:08 »

Jeph's musical tastes, and that of the forum, are varied and far-reaching.

I for one am mostly into hip-hop and alt-rock, rather than indie. This doesn't affect my attitude towards forum colleagues or the comic in the slightest.

If you find some particularly douchebaggy metalheads or indie kids then yeah you could say there's a feud in the same way there's a feud between any people that label themselves in such a way and have an exclusionary attitude towards others.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:18 »

Well, my music taste is very diverse. I'm a great fan of Beethoven's Symphonies, especially the 9th, 6th and 3rd. I really enjoy Cuban music, Jazz, Electroswing, a little Metal, some Punk, Drum'n'Bass, Hardstyle, Hardcore, Glitch, and some other stuff. My post in the "Hit Shuffle" thread gives a pretty good impression.

And through QC I've discovered Post rock, which I really like. When I discovered it I listened to Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and Sigur Rós without pause.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Cthulhu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2013, 13:35 »

If you find some particularly douchebaggy metalheads or indie kids then yeah you could say there's a feud in the same way there's a feud between any people that label themselves in such a way and have an exclusionary attitude towards others.
Good because thats how i imagined it and i couldn't have said it better.
by your comments i think its safe to say the music tastes are diverse, which i consider very healthy, i was afraid that since music is so important in the comic it would make its readers fans of that music style too.
And through QC I've discovered Post rock, which I really like. When I discovered it I listened to Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and Sigur Rós without pause.
Post rock is exactly the type of music i already knew before reading the comics, the flaming lips and other bands are the ones i hadn´t heard before, i think they're just too calm for me. But i did know sigur ros, i think its a really cool band.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2013, 15:25 »

Good because thats how i imagined it and i couldn't have said it better.
by your comments i think its safe to say the music tastes are diverse, which i consider very healthy, i was afraid that since music is so important in the comic it would make its readers fans of that music style too.

Nope. I got into the comic for the characters, storylines and Pintsize. I can't stand half of the bands the characters like and to be honest I don't even know how much they reflect Jeph's own tastes because I don't care about Jeph the man, only the comic.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up