THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wedding's Over, What's Next?

Mom follows Marten (and Claire) back to NoHam!
- 5 (5.7%)
Claire doesn't remember NCS with Marten!
- 9 (10.2%)
Claire does the Tasha Yar routine ("It didn't happen.")
- 7 (8%)
Marten puts down the boundaries with Claire (about not dating interns).
- 5 (5.7%)
Next scene: Faye and Angus are FIGHTING!
- 0 (0%)
Marten returns to the library, and the first thing? Tai's RIGHT HOOK!
- 14 (15.9%)
A freak snowstorm hits Central Mass, trapping everyone at COD!
- 5 (5.7%)
Hannelore's freak illness turned out to be indigestion.
- 1 (1.1%)
...or worse, SHE'S PREGNANT! (Yeah, I know, Jeph would never do that.)
- 6 (6.8%)
Cristi commits Shipper Mutiny, demands Marten and Claire get together over Jeph's protests!
- 14 (15.9%)
The Final Four: Waffles, Spathe Ham, Feral Hogs and "Look! Boobs!"
- 4 (4.5%)
A whole week of Yelling Bird strips.
- 6 (6.8%)
THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER OPTION, #### IT!
- 12 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2411-2415 (25-29 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 86752 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I just wanna know how Paul et al. managed to get the forums subdomain back up first...

I have nothing to do with the server (the comic and forum are on the same server); that's a guy in California.  I haven't looked yet, but if it was me, I'd change the IP address of the server, change the DNS for the forum only, and get the help of my ISP in blocking the DOS of the comic somewhere back up the line.  I think (I've never had to handle a DOS, fortunately).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

4chan is just concentrated internet, cutting out most of the places Young Adult Males don't frequent. It can be compassionate or coarse, rude or polite, accepting or phobic. A certain term that used to mean a bundle of sticks is used casually, and it is the birthplace of bronies and, I just learned, now has a /lgbt/ board. Trying to pin it down is a fools errand.

It is, to my knowledge, no longer frequented by those who like to use DDOS and related tools. They likely have nothing to do with this. But hey, the only boards I ever looked at with frequency were /wg/ and /trv/.

As for the thread on /co/, it appears that beside the vulgarity, they favor the same pairing/s most commented upon here.

I usually spend my time on /tg/ and /d/, with some light browsing across a few of the others. I'd say that's a pretty fair summary and assessment.

I don't expect most of /lgbt/ to be more than a cesspit for at least another week though. New board birthing pains and the like.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

It's okay Martin! My Sub-Conscious is so subtle it forgets what's it's trying to do!

Then the ponies come and everything is wonderful.

Also boo DDOS attacks.

Finally, I'm thinking the Tasha Yar routine is most likely here. Claire knows what happened, she's just going to refuse to acknowledge it for one reason or another.

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Yesh hahaha.

Noooo!  Then there will be condensed evil tar creatures, and death, and time travel, and finally some evil chick who looks just like Claire!

That sounds like a pretty kick ass story line actually. Maybe it'll be based on something going wrong on the Station, and it'll be up to Martin and Lt. Potter to save the universe!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

That line about Marten's subconscious reaching a disturbing level of subtlety made me laugh. This is why I love this comic.
And a nice callback to Ellen's comment in 577: "If you're dreaming, you have the most masochistic subconscious ever." (Yay, archive is back!  QC-site is up!  Not yet updated with today's, though.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Yeah, Marten's not attracted to Claire at all, I think, based on panel 2.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Did anyone else get a "this is totally inspired by the forum" feeling?

No?

Okay then.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I think it's more that the forum knows Jeph's work, and can anticipate at least some of the ways that he will handle things.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Noooo even Jephzibah is considering the dream angle!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's a call-back strip! Not just to the head-butt and vomit, but the return of the pale blue dress with the white piping! A style of which Jeph seems to be very fond. Hideous green handbags seem to be a thing too.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

You know, I thought Faye was looking a bit Hannelorish today. I guess that's why.

Also, one thing I really like about QC is that Jeph makes a conscious effort to show that people have a finite amount of clothes, and so wear the same outfits now and then. That attention to detail is part of why the comic feels so real.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Ah, it's good to have the site back up.

*Catches up*

I feel like I'm the only one here who knows absolutely nothing about 4chan. >_<

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Consider yourself fortunate in that regard.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

When I first heard of 4chan, I was introduced to the /b/ board. My soul still feels the scars when the memes fly...

Needless to say, it is not a place for the unwary (dickbags, however, are welcome with open arms, and then promptly called a <derogatory name of choice>).

I only found out much later that there were other boards (such as /sci/ (science), /lit/ (literature) and /trv/ (travel)) with some semblance of civilised people, apparently.

On comic, Faye certainly has slimmed down somewhat (also, awesome callback by Jeph!). But I still can't wait to see Claire's side of the story (it's possible that she didn't realise she was cuddling up to Marten in her sleep (sleep-snuggler?) and just sleep-walked to her bed?)

Nah, that wouldn't be dramatic enough for these forums :D
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

Is it just me or did Faye lose a bunch of weight?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The sequels are not part of the original limerick. And it is not really the same word, it only sounds similar.
Yeah, I looked back and actually read them and realized that, as I pointed out a few posts later. Although you have it backwards, it is the same word, it only sounds different and means something else.
Is it just me, or has Faye lost a lot of weight?
It's apparently not just you.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Couldn't
Code: [Select]
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -m limit --limit 1 /s --limit-burst 8 -j DROPhelp against DDOS? Simple iptables rule, which allows only one new connection per IP per second, when there're already 8 open connections from this IP. Won't help with the bandwidth and the traffic, as the packages are being dropped at the INPUT chain of the server, but at least Apache will continue to work.

And I really was hoping for a car ride comic. But I also really like the idea of a comic similar to this, from the perspective of Claire. We want to know what Claire thinks about it!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

The trouble with DDOS is the first D: distributed.

It's not "from this IP".  It's from a shitload of different IPs.  Zombie PCs, usually.

You want to help against DDOS?

Ditch Microsoft Windows! :-P
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Even very big DDOS attacks get slowed down, if you allow only 8 connections per IP. Of course the rule I posted works only for TCP DDOSing/SYN-flooding.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I've asked, as a matter of curiosity, for more info - but I don't know if I'll get any.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

So, Marten's confused about a woman - what else is new? 

And that in itself is quite refreshing.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

And I really was hoping for a car ride comic. But I also really like the idea of a comic similar to this, from the perspective of Claire. We want to know what Claire thinks about it.
Who would she talk to about it, though?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HappyHavoc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Please forgive my dyslexia

I think we all know Pintsize  hasn't set fire to anything in far too long. So it's about time he does.
Live Love and Headbang!!

HappyHavoc

Yeah, Marten's not attracted to Claire at all, I think, based on panel 2.

It would be great if he did become attracted to her. You do see much talk about well anything tran related these days and it would be great to see where it goes.
Live Love and Headbang!!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

I was thinking NCS = Night-time Cuddle Session.

Also, who has the direct link to the barfing head-butt strip?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Good question - the only characters that she's been shown as being close with are Marten and Clinton. We know she doesn't want to talk to Marten about it for whatever reason, and I think she'd find it too weird to talk about it with Clinton (and knows that he dislikes Marten).

The longshot might be Tai? But that's probably something that Tai doesn't want to think about the implications of, being Marten's supervisor, and Marten being a superior of Claire. (Then again, it's Tai, she might not think that far ahead.)

HappyHavoc

Tai doesn't seem like the type of person that would mind dating an intern
Live Love and Headbang!!

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I was thinking NCS = Night-time Cuddle Session.

Also, who has the direct link to the barfing head-butt strip?

Archive Fu! HIYAH!!!

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=185

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I'll join the "she must have lost a bunch of weight" club. Looks weird to me.

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

Such a lovely dress Faye is wearing. She's in bloom!

I dun think so. Maybe just her hair?
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2374
Looks pretty similar to me.. really..
She's just wearing that pretty pretty dress!  :angel:
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2013, 07:42 by Kixie »
"So...cute..."

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Aaaaand we're back to the Marten/Faye dialogue about his love life which is the central focus of the entire comic. Ahh, good to be back. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

And I really was hoping for a car ride comic. But I also really like the idea of a comic similar to this, from the perspective of Claire. We want to know what Claire thinks about it.
Possibly Clinton? Maybe one of the other interns? Orrr maybe she goes all melo-dramatic monologue Shakespeare style? Definitely a few possibilites though.
"So...cute..."

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I took a moment to remember that Faye is treating the situation strictly as a boy/girl (and perhaps boss/subordinate) encounter. That makes the conversation much cooler. Well done, Jeph.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Emily.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

grasslad

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'll join the "she must have lost a bunch of weight" club. Looks weird to me.

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed in today's strip too. I kind of hope it's not permanent/intended, I rather liked her regular design.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well, I don't see why Faye would be treating it as anything other than a boy/girl situation. Aside from the fact that well... Marten is a boy and Claire is a girl, so far the only ones who know Claire is trans (that we know for sure know anyway) are Clinton and Marten. It isn't always immediately obvious after all, especially if you start transition early on.

I am hoping to see Claire's side of this conversation next too, but I don't know who she would talk to. She doesn't seem particularly close to Tai, and given she's nominally the boss of both her and Marten... could be uncomfortable. Emily? uhhh. She's a nice girl, but trying to have a serious relationship conversation with her would be probably frustrating and funny. Which means she seems most likely to be the one. :) Clinton, because he knows the whole story here... But he is her brother so... Yeah, I see possible over-reactions there. Maybe we'll find out she's actually pretty good friends with Gabby or something... Maybe we'll actually find out something about Gabby? I mean we know so little about here I had to check the cast page to make sure I was getting her name right....

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I took a moment to remember that Faye is treating the situation strictly as a boy/girl (and perhaps boss/subordinate) encounter. That makes the conversation much cooler. Well done, Jeph.
I'm not sure Faye knows Claire is trans.
I'm gonna have to join Kixie in saying that I don't think she looks that different at all.

Cthulhu

• Plantmonster

Good question - the only characters that she's been shown as being close with are Marten and Clinton. We know she doesn't want to talk to Marten about it for whatever reason, and I think she'd find it too weird to talk about it with Clinton (and knows that he dislikes Marten).

The longshot might be Tai? But that's probably something that Tai doesn't want to think about the implications of, being Marten's supervisor, and Marten being a superior of Claire. (Then again, it's Tai, she might not think that far ahead.)

Wow i had´t thought of that, i mean the problem is easily solved, she could even talk to herself. But seriously how has she become so important without relating to any other of the characters? may be now is the time to do that.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well, all of the interns are new yet. They haven't had the time to related and interact with the rest of the cast. Claire is just the one who has had the most 'screen' time so far of the three. And so far aside from Marten her interactions have been all surface level acquaintance ones. After all, we are talking about her co workers and friends of her co workers. It seems she and Emily at least don't have many if any friends outside of the cast.

Cthulhu

• Plantmonster

Yeah im probably getting ahead of myself, you're right. Also am i the onlyone who thinks gabby is one of those characters that goes losing importance over time and just end up dissapearing?
Oh also im gonna go with the team that thinks faye looks just the same.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Team Same!!
(not to be confused with Team Sane)

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Emily.

Emily is not a good person to tell secrets to.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I'm pretty sure she doesn't. Why would she? It doesn't seem like Claire would tell anyone she's not considering a close friend, and so far, Marten has been a lot closer to her than anyone else in the cast (except for Clinton, but that's different).
What do you know about Pokémon?

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

She doesn't. That was my point. I had to remember she didn't so the conversation would NOT have any trans related overtones. That's what I thought was cool about it.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...it's cool that Faye acts like she doesn't know Claire is trans when she doesn't know Claire is trans?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

We could discuss Jeph's prediliction for ladies in blue dresses.

Faye's one suits her very nicely and the neckline is suited to a lady of her ... assets.  The piping and her present hair style give it a rather 50s feel or like she getting ready to teach.  No idea where the hemline is.

I almost surprised we're still not gushing about how well Claire's suited her.

And of course there is Hanner's dress that was extremely cute.

Now all we need to complete the collection are:

Marigold, Tai, Emily, Gabby, Penny, Dora and probably a few I'm forgetting....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Kixie

• Plantmonster
  • mew?

I almost surprised we're still not gushing about how well Claire's suited her.

I am still gushing over how cute that dress was.
"So...cute..."

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I don't see Martens work relation to Claire as anything like that. Marten is a lowly unskilled helper at the library. Claire is on the career track to become a librarian. Claire's supervisor must be a librarian, who have, no doubt quite informally, left most of the more practical stuff to Tai. Tai has, equally imformally, passed the buck to Marten. Marten is not in any meaningful way Claire's boss.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Faye may still be working out, and she's got a chance now to meet her emotional needs without resorting to Pepperidge Farm cookies.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I don't see Martens work relation to Claire as anything like that. Marten is a lowly unskilled helper at the library. Claire is on the career track to become a librarian. Claire's supervisor must be a librarian, who have, no doubt quite informally, left most of the more practical stuff to Tai. Tai has, equally imformally, passed the buck to Marten. Marten is not in any meaningful way Claire's boss.

He has seniority.  That's why he was training them.  But his position is basically that of a paid intern anyway, so I'm doubtful he has any superiority in his position. 

Please try to read that without the unintended innuendo. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Faye may still be working out, and she's got a chance now to meet her emotional needs without resorting to Pepperidge Farm cookies.
And her workout program (situps) and her emotional needs are the same person now. :parrot:

(OK, she may actually be working out with Penny. But it's funnier that way.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up