THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperrogue  (Read 2275 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Hyperrogue
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 03:15 »

I know y'all have an appreciation for roguelikes, so I'd like to direct your attention to this:

Hyperrogue, a roguelike on an infinite hyperbolic plane.

It started out as just a simple turn-based game with ASCII graphics, an ice world, yetis and wolves, but it has since been updated to feature more worlds, more monsters, more treasure, magic items, and terrible graphics!

In addition to the great concept it's also quite compelling as a roguelike. There are no role-playing elements of any sort, but there are a number of objectives you can reach to unlock more worlds. The worlds are separated by walls, which are built in a straight line, but due to the hyperbolic geometry, no two walls ever intersect. The game's available on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. Also on Steam Greenlight.

Did I mention it's free?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: Hyperrogue
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2013, 04:50 »

wait, do the ASCII graphics consist of an ordinary graphical UI which uses ASCII symbols instead of tiles? When I read ASCII I was hoping for a console game. On th other hand, it would have been difficult to see this world being projected onto rectangular tiles…

I'll have a look at it. I fancy a little NetHack from time to time, or even original Hack on my Atari. Sometimes even Angband. HyperRogue appears to be rather simple in comparison.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:18 »

The world is made out of hexagons and heptagons, and the movement of the edges is animated so you can see the hyperbolism (is that a word?) in action. The game is indeed very simple, but I like that. Makes it easy to pick up and play a couple games.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:53 »

That was pretty fun! Moving around with the keypad was pretty easy, I had not expected that.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive
Pages: [1]   Go Up