THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Origin of a Meme  (Read 12144 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Origin of a Meme
« on: 27 Mar 2013, 16:07 »

I could have put this in the pointless thread, or in the discussion thread about the Supreme Court's deliberations, but decided it can best stand on its own.

This is a complete quote of a post from another board (no, not that one) which both amused and interested me - as is, apart from some housekeeping:

Quote from: Elect G-Max
Today, I logged into Facebook and saw that one of my friends had changed her profile pic to this:

Several hours later, I found out that it's actually a parody of some kind of "red equals sign" meme that's supposedly taking over Facebook in an attempt to... I don't know... let the Supreme Court know what people who spend their entire lives on Facebook think about some gay rights thing that's happening today. I say "supposedly take over" because the thing is only hours old and already parodies and variants are more common than the original.

Goth variant:

Dr. Who variant:

We all knew Threepio was gay, but Artoo was a surprise:

Deadpool:

Thanks for letting us know what state you're in, because it's not like that's already on your Facebook profile:

I'm not kidding, there are at least two with this damn cat:

...and at least two variants with Bert and Ernie:

Inexplicable:

(click to show/hide)

Contrarian:

This could end up being the most rapid memetic mutation in the history of the Internet.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

Re: Origin of a Meme
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2013, 16:14 »

I was wondering why I kept seeing some many of these Red Equals on facebook.
Its quite interesting to see this really taking off, the only one I can think of that had so many varients in such a short amount of time would be the "X grab my Y" meme from Deviantart a couple of years ago.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2013, 16:18 »

I like it. If nothing else the equal signs are making people pay attention to the supreme court for the first time in a while. The people who claim that they are pointless clearly don't understand what raising awareness means.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2013, 17:48 »

Inexplicable:

actually, that's the transgender symbol. #explained

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 19:57 »

Inexplicable:

Really?  Come on, it's matzoh for passover...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 20:05 »

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why that was hidden. I had some last night!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013, 20:31 »

The bacon one's my favorite permutation so far.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 21:48 »

You don't know why matzoh was hidden?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afikoman
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2013, 22:10 »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No. 

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013, 23:35 »

Yeah, it's a nice simple picture that's making the rounds and getting the hell hammered out of it into adaptations. Memes are strange things.

I will say that it's surprisingly enjoyable to wear your tribal colors sometimes, as long as it's a choice. I'm not perfect when it comes to not succumbing to tribalism. >_<

Some of those are pretty amusing though.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2013, 23:44 »

Eh the closest thing I have to tribal colors are camouflage and my stupid stamp*.  I suppose being part of something greater then yourself is important, but I can't get fired up about stuff in the civilian world for some reason.... Like I had two frats try pretty hard to recruit me on campus this year... probably because I can buy beer legally ^^; but it just seems really dumb. Maybe it's because I'm already part of a tribe?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:42 »

and my stupid stamp*.

*looks frantically for the footnote*
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:19 »

and my stupid stamp*.

*looks frantically for the footnote*

Whoops...

Here it is!

*Stupid stamp: Slang term in the U.S. military for a service tattoo, usually reflecting service insignia, or iconography related to one's job or unit. It's called a stupid stamp because it's a stamp (tattoo) that proves you were dumb enough to enlist. Usage is heavily laced with sarcasm, as most people who use the term, have one.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:25 »

You don't know why matzoh was hidden?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afikoman
Oh right, of course. (slaps forehead)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:29 »

I suppose being part of something greater then yourself is important, but I can't get fired up about stuff in the civilian world for some reason....

Welcome to the club! 

Oh, wait...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:10 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2013, 11:41 »

I did this for a day before being informed it was actually the symbol for a corporation rather than for gay marriage generally, so I changed it back.

Also the equal gun rights thing baffles me, are gays not allowed to buy as many guns or something?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:06 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:22 »

I did this for a day before being informed it was actually the symbol for a corporation
Wait, really? What corporation?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:50 »

Huh, the yellow equal sign in a blue square is the symbol for the HRC, a semi-corporate gay rights lobbying group. I think HRC released the red/pink one to distinguish the supreme court awareness.

HRC deserves a certain amount of criticism, but I wouldn't really call them a corporation.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2013, 13:50 »

This thread is combining some of my favorite things, LGBT type peoples, bacon, and firearms. Seriously this can't get better if we dip the thread in chocolate.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:41 »

So, find a gay gun that shoots bacon and you'll be in hog heaven?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:46 »

Huh, the yellow equal sign in a blue square is the symbol for the HRC, a semi-corporate gay rights lobbying group. I think HRC released the red/pink one to distinguish the supreme court awareness.

HRC deserves a certain amount of criticism, but I wouldn't really call them a corporation.

Unicorn knows more about it than I do. As I ranted to them at the time, I was just trying to support damn gay marriage.

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2013, 15:53 »

It's the symbol for the HRC (Human Rights Campaign). They've got more than a bit of a rocky past when it comes to trans* issues and a rocky, though much less so, past with bi folk as well.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2013, 15:55 »

Yeah Unicorn said something about them being pro-assimilation and some other stuff.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2013, 13:07 »

So just came across this on twitter. Guess this is the relevant thread.

"No 6-year-old is psychologically ready to be cisgender. They're pretending! It's part of being a kid. #cisreversal"

:roll:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2013, 13:28 »

Is that a ferret in the bottom profile pic? Or is it just that I'm in a ferrety frame of mind because I'm on here?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2013, 13:43 »

No idea if it is or not, sorry. Not my pic, so can't check for you.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:06 »

pr. sure that's a ferret, yes

Also, I don't know that that post is a reason to hate people. Someone has an opinion, an opinion that is not wholly agreeable, but nonetheless that person is a supporter of equal rights and seems fairly tolerant of transgenderism (is that a word?) in general. I think that's a good thing. They are more likely to change their opinion than someone who speaks hate. I don't see hate in this person's words.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:32 »

For something perhaps a bit more digestible: "I believe no one under the age of 18 should become gay. I have a kid that pretends he's gay, but I'm nowhere near considering that as real. He's just pretending! No way is my kid going to be a gay at this age; that's ridiculous! P.S. It totally makes sense for my Avatar to be something self-describing as an LGBT ally!"

Yes, I'm sure his possible daughter isn't negatively affected at all by her dad telling her she's "Pretending" and that it's "Ridiculous". But hey, he's a self-professed Ally, so that's all fine, right? She might, if she can muster the courage for it, have a relatively pain-free early experience, but it's also possible that she internalizes that attitude. Note that even when she'd be older it's just that the dad "might consider it". Because hey, it's not like it'd be something she already is, it's just something someone decides to do to themselves. Y'know, like your kid getting a piercing.

But again, he doesn't outright oppose basic human decency, provided he gets seven years to consider if it might be okay, so being offensive is totally fine.

P.S. No, it doesn't get me to "Hate people". Like I said, it's not my image, but people are very eager to get the social cred for "progressiveness". That doesn't automatically make it so.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2013, 14:42 by Valdís »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:53 »

I suppose it's one thing for someone to have an elevated mind sufficient to recognise that adults who identify as LGBT deserve the same respect as any other independent human being, but another if it regards the development of a child of whom you have no idea how he or she is going to turn out.

On the other hand, there's some evidence that it is easiest for children to blur (or simply erase) the lines between genders, since they have no biological imperative to behave one way or the other. It's for a reason that the physique of pre-teen children is mostly equal across sexes.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2013, 15:19 »

that adults who identify as LGBT deserve the same respect as any other independent human being

but another if it regards the development of a child of whom you have no idea how he or she is going to turn out.

Uh-huh.. Yeah.. "It's just a phase!". Pull the other one. It's not like this stuff appears out of the aether. Generally speaking it will be the case that the child is actually LGBT if such feelings are expressed (as opposed to crossdressing). An imprecise - as ability to express their feelings vary - divide being that some homosexual kids will sometimes "wish to be a girl/boy" because that seems to make sense to them for how they feel regarding their same sex and transgender kids will "feel they are a girl/boy". So despite that some young people may articulate their feelings imprecisely it isn't just something completely unrelated that you "grow out of".

I said "Possible daughter" for a reason. But in either case you don't talk about your kid like that.

(Edit: For example a trans* girl who is making her feelings known might say "I wish I was a girl.." too, but when expressed more clearly it's actually saying she wishes her body was more like the other girls and/or that she could be considered one of them.)

On the other hand, there's some evidence that it is easiest for children to blur (or simply erase) the lines between genders, since they have no biological imperative to behave one way or the other.

Simply not true at all. If anything gender identity is felt much earlier than sexual orientation (biological imperative). Gender isn't just a friggin' social construct; it's already there. It's completely different that kids aren't as divided along gender-lines at that age, but the boys and girls playing with each other still distinctly feel their own gender.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2013, 15:48 by Valdís »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2013, 16:26 »

that adults who identify as LGBT deserve the same respect as any other independent human being

I'm saying that the person in the facebook post believes the former, not the latter.

As an aside, I can't be the only one who's sick of ellipses being used as passive-aggressive not-responses. Cut it out.

Uh-huh.. Yeah.. "It's just a phase!". Pull the other one. It's not like this stuff appears out of the aether. Generally speaking it will be the case that the child is actually LGBT if such feelings are expressed (as opposed to crossdressing). An imprecise - as ability to express their feelings vary - divide being that some homosexual kids will sometimes "wish to be a girl/boy" because that seems to make sense to them for how they feel regarding their same sex and transgender kids will "feel they are a girl/boy". So despite that some young people may articulate their feelings imprecisely it isn't just something completely unrelated that you "grow out of".

I said "Possible daughter" for a reason. But in either case you don't talk about your kid like that.
Insofar that gender identity can be expressed in early childhood, I believe you. But you're saying 'if such feelings are expressed' which is not applicable when all we have to go on is a single facebook post, and I was talking about this specific case. Do you take a boy saying "I like to wear dresses" to mean "I feel that I am a girl"? Neither of us is able to judge which is the case. Doesn't seem entirely relevant to the parent's attitude to their child's wishes, but still ought to be considered.

Simply not true at all. If anything gender identity is felt much earlier than sexual orientation (biological imperative). Gender isn't just a friggin' social construct; it's already there. It's completely different that kids aren't as divided along gender-lines at that age, but the boys and girls playing with each other still distinctly feel their own gender.
That I understand, but surely you can agree that changing the social construct can cause this behaviour without gender dysphoria being involved?

I think this because I'm reminded of the news stories of gender roles breaking down that seemingly don't involve kids' gender identity. Things like parents who consciously avoid walking their daughters straight to the pink aisle in the toy store, or the Austrian dad whose son enjoyed wearing skirts, whereupon he started doing the same.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:24 »

I'm sorry, one thing just jumped out at me from that post. 

Referring to a transition as a "transgretion" (sic). 

(also sick).

Words have meaning, and power, and even misspelled, I think the poster knows the meaning of transgression. 

So much for being an "ally". 
Pages: [1]   Go Up