THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: worst shows you have seen  (Read 18439 times)

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
worst shows you have seen
« on: 29 Mar 2013, 09:20 »

I've not seen this as a topic anywhere and I thought it might be fun. We all like to talk about the amazing shows we have seen but what were some of the worst? If you go to a lot of shows that have to be some really awful ones in the mix.

for me the worst one in recent memory was Das Racist, I saw them twice thinking that perhaps they were pissed off about something the first time. but no, they were just awful to see live. they seemed to think they were doing us a big favor by showing up and getting on stage rather than us doing them a favor by giving them our money. I know they have split up now but I doubt anything will ever top how bad that was.

Incidentally Danny Brown opened up for them once and even though I had never rally listened to him he put on a very enjoyable show.

Some of the others that deserve dishonorable mention would be Smashing Pumpkins-they played around here a lot before they hit it beg and were always disappointing and a Soundgarden and VoiVod show in the early 90s. They must have been sick of being on the road together because it seemed like the bands were fucking with each others sound systems.
Signature

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: worst shows you have seen
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:46 »

I saw Muse, and aside from the fact that it gave me tinnitus I still can't shake over ten years on, it was a soulless, 'meh' show that actually killed my appreciation for the band. It sounded like the records exactly so no real fun element to it, they didn't talk to the crowd even once and it was basically soulless.

Once, I had tickets to go see Green Day and blink-182 within a few months of each other, blink first. I expected blink to suck and Green Day to be awesome.

It turned out at the time to be blink's last UK gig before they went on hiatus. It was a fantastic show. Just the right mix of old stuff and new stuff, with a brilliant medley in the middle to mop up a lot of old classics (including 'Dumpweed' which I really wanted them to play).

I thought, fuck if blink are that good, when they're usually a terrible live act, Green Day will be great!

...Green Day were terrible. It was an overly rehearsed, cringingly stale show, which amusingly included Billie Joe saying 'remember to be an individual!' at a show that was identical to every show on the tour (he even said exactly that every night, I know because I read the reviews). And 'King For A Day' lasted for ten minutes. After a certain point I was like I CAME HERE TO HEAR YOU SING, NOT THE AUDIENCE.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

HappyHavoc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Please forgive my dyslexia
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2013, 20:08 »

Mine was an August Burns Red show.

They sound really bad live and you can't mosh. All the people there where hardcore dancing.

Don't see them live.
Live Love and Headbang!!

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2013, 23:35 »

Guitar Wolf.

Just... ugh, maybe I should have known what I was getting into but Seiji was so drunk that I'm convinced they didn't actually play any songs. It was just shrill icepick-to-the-ear guitar played at random drowning out everything else.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2013, 06:42 »

Iron and Wine played Malmö last year and it was so bad we actually walked out halfway. And I LOVE I & W. Amazingly boring show.

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2013, 07:47 »

That reminded me of one time I went to see Sonic Youth, I think it was on the Goo tour. Red Cross opened up for them. So bad we went out to smoke a few while they finished their set.
Signature

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2013, 13:52 »

I saw My Chemical Romance in the mid 2000s before that Black Parade album at Warped Tour.  Still the worst live act I have seen (I have been to my share of shitty house shows, but at least those are fun).  The raise your middle finger gimmick felt uncomfortably juvenile even when I was 18.  Gerard Way wore a bullet proof vest and sounded like an annoying prepubescent boy.  The whole thing was just weird and off.  The Offspring came on right after, so that was cool.

I also saw local band Scarf at the Treefort Music Festival.  Scarf was musically the worst thing I have ever seen.  It was a girl standing awkwardly to the side shrieking obscenities while a guy freaks out on an organ and the drunkest and least coordinated drummer I have ever seen bangs away on a tiny kit.  Scarf is what would happen if Bomb the Music Industry couldn't hold their liquor.  It is an indignant mother looking angrily back at the stage as she drags her small child out of the room.  Scarf makes me happy.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2013, 14:01 »

I was about to say Scarf sounds like a cool band.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2013, 19:39 »

I saw Purity Ring at the Oxford Art Factory, a small venue in the extremely fashionable end of Sydney this year. They were fantastic but I had a terrible time because the crowd was a bunch of fucking children who've never been told "no". We must have been the oldest people there (at 26, 25 and 24) and I feel like while I really like Purity Ring for their lyrics, everyone else was there because all gigs at the Oxford Art Factory are dancey/club kind of stuff and all these fucking 18 year olds dressed like children wearing their parents' clothes were just there because they wanted to get incredibly drunk on shit beer (they were selling Fosters, which no one drinks in Australia except for Japanese business men) and dance like wankers. Maybe I'm too used to going to metal shows where you can just push annoying people out of the way but I had to make sure I didn't start a fucking fight by shoving away dickheads getting into my personal space.

I also went and saw Opeth recently. They were incredible but Katatonia were supporting. They were...OK? Just really boring. Technically proficient, all very obviously talented musicians but absolutely no stage presence and very little interaction with the audience.

A number of years ago I saw KoRn. I was 16 and I went with my highschool girlfriend. It was probably the worst show I've ever seen. No interaction with the audience on any level. They just got up, played their set and left. I may as well have listened to the CDs. Even then I knew they had fucked up but I couldn't put my finger on why.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

TheEvilDog

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2013, 20:41 »

This wasn't the worst show in terms of music, but rather how it was set up. Saw the Fun Lovin' Criminals a couple of years ago, wasn't a huge concert, in fact it was in the school of music, and there was about 150-200 people. Great songs, the warm up act was good... But I wish I brought my sunglasses with me...to a darkened hall...in the middle of the building. Whichever bright spark they had brought with them hadn't counted on the venue being so intimate and kept blinding the audience every few minutes with a ridiculous set. Thankfully I'm not epileptic because the lights would have definitely induced a seizure otherwise. It was a great show, but a lot was taken away by those bloody lights.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2013, 12:39 »

I think it might have to be stars for me.

They were all on coke, and everything just sounded off. I actually threw all the stuff I liked by them (maybe three songs?) out of my playlist because the live act ruined it for me. The 80's were thirty years ago guys, and it really shows.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

hepcat

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2013, 14:34 »

I went to see Avenged Sevenfold in high school, it was awful. They felt so... disengaged? It just didn't feel genuine and they looked super bored. Definitely ruined them for me.

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2013, 14:48 »

A few years ago, when my oldest daughter was 14, she wanted to see SLAYER so I took her to the Mayhem Fest. SLAYER and Cannibal Corpse were good but Bullet For My Valentine and Marilyn Manson were just awful.

Signature

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 02 Apr 2013, 06:19 »

Back in around 2006-2007 I went to a Cute Is What We Aim For show.  It was the most boring show I've ever been to.  I fell asleep standing up which isn't as hard as it sounds when a bar has that many scene kids in it.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 02 Apr 2013, 09:21 »

Screaming Females.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #15 on: 02 Apr 2013, 20:32 »

Cults at Webster Hall.  Sound was shit and I was right behind a couple of drunk assholes.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2013, 15:04 »

H.I.M in Hartford during Projekt Revolution 2007. God, the lead singer was such a douche onstage, taking drags of a cigarette when there should have been lyrics, and not really putting any soul into the music. It was below "meh". It was "feh".

But Julien-K was a nice mood changer, and Linkin Park knocked it out of the park to close the night. So, the day wasn't all bad.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2013, 23:50 »

The new Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist just loves to sling his cum all over my cherished youthful memories, and I hate him for it
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2013, 11:49 »

My word I would very much love some elaboration on that.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:08 »

you know how Frusciante was chock full of tasteful leads, knew exactly where mayhem was appropriate, chased tones instead of notes, and was generally 300x the guitarist this new young replacement is?

well, this new young replacement is awful and I hope he gets hit by a fucking meteor

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 26 Apr 2013, 14:34 »

I may generally hate the Chilis, but I'll say this much - Frusciante is an incredible musician, particularly on the recent stuff where he kinda went 'fucket iwonner play gitarrrrr'.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:30 »

Josh Klinghoffer is a very good drummer though. So I wouldn't say he's a shit musician or anything. The Peppers should have called it quits ten years ago btw.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:39 »

They should have called it quits ... just before under the bridge. What a load of wank.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:58 »

I might be the only guy that likes the new Peppers album... but yeah Josh is horrible live.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2013, 18:35 »

I might be the only guy that likes the new Peppers album... but yeah Josh is horrible live.
I listened to a couple tracks from Toto's "Live in Amsterdam" album...yeah, keep it to the studio, boys. I'm sure you like being on stage, but my ears have a objection. >.<

Ironically, the word "Amsterdam" reminds me of a Counting Crows song...and I have none of their music? How could I let this happen? I must remedy this malignment.
Worry Hat, Engage!

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2013, 18:53 »

I thought Josh was pretty good live ...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2013, 20:45 »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were a band I did really like....when I was 14... Really, the best song they had after Californication was Fortune Faded, which isn't saying much, but they are a good band to listen to when you want just something playing.

It really tells you how much attention I paid to the band that this was the first I heard of John Frusciante having left the band....

Actually, I read Anthony Kiedis' autobiography and it took a month for me to read it. The whole book could be summed up as "he had sex, got high, had more sex, tried to get clean, got high" for about 400 pages.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #27 on: 29 Apr 2013, 01:36 »

I am basically only okay with the Chili Peppers as long as it's Frusciante-era. By The Way isn't the most solid album ever but it's got some of their best songs, and absolutely some of Frusciante's greatest guitar work. "Dosed" is a perfect example. Not sure how many tracks he laid down for it, but it's gotta be at least 3 or 4, and it doesn't sound overkill.

New guy makes it sound like too much with just one fucking guitar.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2013, 08:41 »

I like how the Peppers are a common thread among TONS of young people and young musicians nowadays, and no one really likes to admit to liking them.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:35 »

I liked them better when they were good.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:59 »

They are a great band for when you're learning guitar because you can learn some of their riffs and stuff relatively easily.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2013, 00:04 »

Soundgarden this past weekend in Indianapolis. The woofers were turned up to where I felt more music than I heard, Chris either mumbled or screeched all the lyrics, the bass player was obviously bored as all get out and spent the entire set glaring at the audience and after the last song (I couldn't even tell which one it was) Chris spent a good minute and a half positioning his guitar on the amps to produce the most annoying feedback possible, flipped off the audience and ran off stage while the band looked on with their best "wtf" faces. I didn't think anyone could be so utterly contemptuous of an audience.  Thank god Bush had a great set otherwise that day would have been completely wasted.
Quis pater tibi est?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2013, 00:50 »

Chris Cornell has a diva attitude? I always pictured him more ... enlightened as all that. For some reason.
My Art.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2013, 06:37 »

They are a great band for when you're learning guitar because you can learn some of their riffs and stuff relatively easily.

Most of my tweendom/early teens was listening to my brother learn their stuff on bass.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2013, 08:36 »

Thank god Bush had a great set otherwise that day would have been completely wasted.

A sentence so unlikely it tore a hole in the space time continuum.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2013, 13:36 »

I'm a die hard Peppers fan so I'll just kinda hang out over here in the corner by myself....  :-P

Josh is most definitely not as good as John, but he was almost passable at the last show I went to. I miss John's voice though, Klinghoffer might be able to replicate guitar riffs, but will never be able to contribute vocals the way John did.

Worst shows I've ever seen have got to be Amy Winehouse & Mars Volta. I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum....but yeah. Mars Volta was similar to what I would imagine marbles, silverware and a megaphone sound like when you throw them all in a dryer together. And Winehouse was...well, in a word- wasted.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Zingoleb

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2013, 12:48 »

nice alliteration!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2013, 16:25 »

Oh God. RHCP. 'My' band for a good two, three years of my mid teens. As Gareth said, I started playing guitar at that age. Riffs were easy! Then John went from stripped down, to laying down about 4 guitar tracks per song, to being a flashy lead player. And then Josh came in, with his fucked up Phasers and horrendous backing vocals and kind of shat on any nostalgia I had for that band. Also thought Flea's bass lines on the new album were rather boring.

Next, why Nickelback keep selling so many records...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2013, 17:15 »

Nickelback get far too much shit.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2013, 01:45 »

There are worse things out there.

Like Iggy Pop.
(Couldn't resist, sorry.)
(Hi, Unicorn!)
My Art.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #40 on: 19 May 2013, 15:22 »

For a band that gets so much hate, it's surprising they're so successful. It could be worse, they could be 4 guys in their 30s who all sing as a boy-band. At least this way they only ruin the guitars they use (EMG IN MY LES PAUL, EMG IN MY CUSTOM 24, EMG IN MY FLYING V, EMGEMGEMG)

I don't know if this is a legit complaint for this thread but went to see Eric Johnson recently and he was supposed to be supported by Joanne Shaw Taylor, she didn't show up and there was no explanation as to why. Is this a bad thing, or doesn't it matter seeing as they weren't the headline act anyway?

Zingoleb

« Reply #41 on: 19 May 2013, 18:35 »

Like Iggy Pop.
(Hi, Unicorn!)

you vastly overestimate how much i care about your opinion

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2013, 00:18 »

Nickelback get far too much shit.

what was that about space-time continuums

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2013, 02:31 »

Like Iggy Pop.
(Hi, Unicorn!)

you vastly overestimate how much i care about your opinion
Nope, I know you don't care. And I'm enjoying every minute of it.
My Art.

kelpy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #44 on: 01 Aug 2013, 08:32 »

John Farnam. When I was 5. And tired. that's the only one I've been to.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #45 on: 01 Aug 2013, 09:56 »

John Farnam. When I was 5. And tired. that's the only one I've been to.

*Scanners gif*

kelpy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 01 Aug 2013, 11:40 »

what, concerts are loud and scary places, I'll go one day.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #47 on: 02 Aug 2013, 04:09 »

I've never been to one (excluding musical comedians) and have my first planned later this year. Hopefully I won't be back in this thread talking about it.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #48 on: 02 Aug 2013, 09:43 »

Went to my first one when I was 15 and I try to go to at least one a year. If not, I start to get cranky.  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #49 on: 02 Aug 2013, 13:35 »

I'm like that with comedy gigs. So I guess I'm still into shows, just not music so much.  :mrgreen:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up