THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would Claire play in Deathmole?

Lead singer (turns out she's classically-trained at opera).
- 5 (7.2%)
Keyboards (she's better than Nat ever was).
- 10 (14.5%)
The lead violin.
- 9 (13%)
Harmonica.
- 1 (1.4%)
The... Clarinet.
- 9 (13%)
The Rock Flute!
- 2 (2.9%)
The Butt Grab!
- 5 (7.2%)
The Sousaphone.
- 5 (7.2%)
The Space Horn. (Not related to Spathe Ham.)
- 1 (1.4%)
The iPod.
- 5 (7.2%)
"I'm a librarian, not a musician!"
- 11 (15.9%)
Something else (because the OP is a bit distracted at the moment).
- 6 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2416-2420 (1-5 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread New  (Read 71650 times)

Crimzin

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Wouldn't that defeat the very nature of cred, though, to give it to yourself? As I understand, cred is earned by whatever means it is earned in your relevant field.

It's more so just for recognizing a group that Jeph writes about. I feel like during the beginning of the comic there were so many bands Marten (or Sven) brought up that I had never even heard of, so I'm presently surprised to see one mentioned that I've seen perform. 

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

I like Faye's eye-roll. Definitely been there, but given the person I just thought his excitement was cute.

See, this is exactly why I think this is effective.

Yeah, I think that could be true. It just kinda sucks when it doesn't apply at all, yet you end up thinking about it even when someone isn't saying it like that. I wasn't really objecting to the campaign, but just going "Gods damnit.." at K1dmor would probably be a bit confusing.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Topic diving!

You know what annoys me (apart from 'everything')?

Phone line rental.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

OK, going back with you; 

Rotary phone dialing is no longer supported by most phone companies (in the US).  If you want to use a rotary phone with most services, you need a converter that takes the pulses and makes them into the digital tones...

So much for legacy systems! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

This comic has confirmed my belief that AnthroPCs are like cats, if they were capable of human-level cognition, and instead of putting butts in our faces, they show us goatse.

Pintsize beat you to it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Boss is hurting...

Quote from: '@jephjacques (twitter)'
Threw my back out! Yeah! <5 hrs ago>
I want to try and stand up but I am afraid of searing agony <3 hrs ago>
nope, still can't stand up <3 hrs ago>
Called 911. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced. <1 hr ago>
Ibuprofen, ice, muscle relaxants. Thank god they don’t have to move me. 10/10 on the pain scale. <1 hr ago>
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Not anthropcs, just pintsize. And pintsize does not like cats at all

Poor jeph :(

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Some anthropcs are at least. But only some.
Momo, for example, wants to be a real girl. Or rather, to be recognised as an AI girl without that distinction marking a significant difference. In other words, she wants to change the world such that the global memetic concept of real girls includes AIs alongside organics.
Cats mostly just want to be lazy gods.

Pseudoedit: Friggin' ninja, all postin' where you can't see.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Momo just wants people to be people.  Quite a respectable ambition. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Cats vary a lot among themselves, and AnthroPCs are similar in that respect.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Boss is hurting...

Threw my back out! Yeah! <5 hrs ago>
I want to try and stand up but I am afraid of searing agony <3 hrs ago>
nope, still can't stand up <3 hrs ago>
Called 911. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced. <1 hr ago>
Ibuprofen, ice, muscle relaxants. Thank god they don’t have to move me. 10/10 on the pain scale. <1 hr ago>

The amount of health problems Jeph suffers on average is really staggering to me sometimes. :-\

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!

Other than the trolling, would you recommend either of his comics?
I recommend all of Willis' comics. Just expect to cuss him when he trolls you. I admit I prefer DOA, though. Then again, I never have been able to 'catch up' with Shortpacked, so I may be selling it, well, you know.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The amount of health problems Jeph suffers on average is really staggering to me sometimes. :-\
I'm sure he'd be happy to settle for "staggering" right now.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'd say it's best to start with Roomies, actually.

The older comics set up the Walkyverse (in which Shortpacked is in, so there's a lot of references to get), and the entire premise of Dumbing of Age is that it's using the Walkyverse's characters in a non-scifi environment.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Yeah, Shortpacked! is a continuation of Joyce and Walky, which is a continuations of It's Walky!, which is a continuation of Roomies...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Nah, Shortpacked! started nearly two years before It's Walky! even ended.

... you're probably thinking of Shortpacked 2.0 ... ;-)

I wouldn't call even that a continuation, though.  It was quite standalone, at least as far as I read it (I dropped it after two years or so), even if certain characters were carried over from It's Walky!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Carl-E

• Awakened

I think you mean before Joyce and Walky ended?  Cause that dragged on for years...

Shortpacked! was more parallel - not just common characters, there were incidents that definitely crossed over, like when Amber found out about Mike's Walkyverse past in an incident with a giant stickybun terrorizing the city, or when Ultracar's maker turns out to be Joe.  I don't recall a Shortpacked! reboot, though, but I haven't archived it since I first started reading it. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Whereas DoA is clearly a spinoff of Joyce and Walky - I think there's some paid strips after the end of what's on the website, but the last on the site sets up the premise for DoA.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Sure, but DoA is still a complete reboot.  A lot of the same characters and personalities, but no memory of the prior universe. 

And, as far as I can tell, no aliens, drama tags, or any of the other crap from the walkyverse.  Just a buncha kids at IU (one of my alma maters!)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

More on the boss:
12h
breaking news: still can't stand up

1h
I managed to crawl, sloth-like, to and from the bathroom with only a couple minor spasms.

31m
I'm improving, slowly. Hopefully I will be able to sit in a chair tomorrow.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

I can sympathize.  Three weeks of PT and painkillers, a month and a half since the fall on ice, and some days I can actually go a few hours at a time without twinges. 

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Oh hey, there are still people online. Awesome.

When i sprayed my ankle (is sprayed even the correct word? I have no idea) a few years ago, I wasn't able to walk at all for a few days without massive amount of painkillers, so I can kinda relate to Jeph's situation. Although I suppose throwing your back out is probably a lot worse than that.

In other news, I'm drunk. Just thought you should know that.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sprained. Ouch, though.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Ouch indeed. And thanks for the correction, I'll try to remember it.

I was doing athletics at that time and we had a parcour set up which we had to solve as fast as possible. One part of that was two benches put on a crate so we could run up on one side and own on the other. Anyway, long story short, I slipped on the top and fell about 1,80m or so down on my foot. The doctor later told I was pretty lucky I didn't break my ankle.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I think you mean before Joyce and Walky ended?  Cause that dragged on for years...

Shortpacked! was more parallel - not just common characters, there were incidents that definitely crossed over, like when Amber found out about Mike's Walkyverse past in an incident with a giant stickybun terrorizing the city, or when Ultracar's maker turns out to be Joe.  I don't recall a Shortpacked! reboot, though, but I haven't archived it since I first started reading it.
No, Shortpacked! 1.0 started, I believe, in January 2003.  I may have been vaguely aware of it before, but I properly "discovered" it in October 2004, one strip before it ended.  You probably never saw it though ... or forgot about it, if you did ... since the "reboot" of January 2005 (really a new comic with the same title), I don't think I've seen The Original Series on the .net.  A pity.  The strip of 2004-04-11 alone was worth the run. :)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Oh hey, there are still people online. Awesome.

This forum has members all around the world, so there are usually people around.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Momo, for example, wants... to be recognised as an AI girl without that distinction marking a significant difference. In other words, she wants to change the world such that the global memetic concept of real girls includes AIs alongside organics.
There are certain parallels with this world there.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!

I'd say it's best to start with Roomies, actually.

The older comics set up the Walkyverse (in which Shortpacked is in, so there's a lot of references to get), and the entire premise of Dumbing of Age is that it's using the Walkyverse's characters in a non-scifi environment.
I started with DOA. I think it's easier to get a handle on because it hasn't been running as long. I went back to Roomies/Walkie/Joyce and Walkie after that, but somehow I could never make the transition to Shortpacked 2.0. Someday, I ashll go dive in. Anyway, all of those work as a 'pre-boot' of DoA just as well as the other way around.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Well, it was reading Willis that got me over here, so Mr. Damn You has that going for him.

That said, the first few years of Shortpacked! were terrific, but right about the time Robin and Leslie broke up, it seemed to fall apart. Now, with most of the original characters gone, I have trouble following it. Notably, I got into Shortpacked! first before going back and checking out Roomies and its offshoots. Never got into them - scifi isn't my favorite genre, I much prefer humor - but at least I was able to get some of the inside baseball in Shortpacked! (Mike having been dead, etc.) And it did have one of my all time favorite webcomic lines: Wolf Blitzer saying "Welcome to The Situation Room, where everything's made up and the points don't matter."

DOA is readable, but it misses something in being in a more condensed daily format than Shortpacked! (or QC for that matter).

Also, Best. Marriage. Proposal. Ever. http://www.shortpacked.com/2008/comic/book-7/08-the-cartoonist-proposes/will-you-marry-me/
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up