THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinsey shuts down LucasArts  (Read 6783 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Dinsey shuts down LucasArts
« on: 03 Apr 2013, 13:15 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ackblom12

Re: Dinsey shuts down LucasArts
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2013, 13:25 »

I'm actually not upset about this at all. They've been making mediocre games for yeeeeears now and sitting on some of the most beloved franchises from the 90's with no intention of doing anything whatsoever with them, including re-releasing them.

Sad about the loss of jobs, not so sad about the loss of devolpment house.

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2013, 15:29 »

Wurd.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2013, 04:04 »

I was willing to give Star Wars 1313 a chance. A lot of people were willing to give it a chance, as well as the promise of a new Battlefront title. For Disney to lay off more than a hundred employees and halt any potentially good project is a dick move (that admittedly most saw coming, really.)

Until their little gambit turning it into a licensing company pays off, Ima just sit here giving Disney a big ol' fuck you

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2013, 04:22 »

Ack summed up my initial thoughts nicely.

Then again I might still be bitter about how long it took them to go ahead and let someone make Sam & Max games.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 2013, 04:57 »

raven salutes lucasarts with release of jedi knight ii source code.

That's cool, I guess. Judging from the download sizes - 10 and 12 megs, assets are probably not included. Still, if you know c++, there's nothing stopping you from having at it. Yay!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr 2013, 04:58 »

Ack summed up my initial thoughts nicely.

Then again I might still be bitter about how long it took them to go ahead and let someone make Sam & Max games.

I am so bitter about so many things Lucasarts didn't do.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr 2013, 05:46 »

I am glad they never tried to make another Grim Fandango though.

Though did they ever put it back on the market? I wonder who actually owns that property these days.

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 04 Apr 2013, 05:52 »

Nope, never did. I'd just about kill to have it re-relesed on GOG with modern OS compatibility. I would actually murder if they did some remastering to make it work in more modern native resolutions and maybe some other graphical tweaks.

Disney now owns it, so we have a shot at it getting licensed out to GOG, Steam, or the console digital markets.

Also maybe something will finally be done about Full Throttle or any number of other franchises.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 04 Apr 2013, 10:28 »

Every star wars fan I know of has been alienated by the franchise in one way or another over the past year. Most of it is due to clone wars and/or Disney.

This news will only serve to drive a wedge further between those people and the franchise they hold dear.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2013, 10:34 »

In the last year? For fuck sake, the Star Wars studio hasn't given two shits about its fan base in 14 years at least.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #11 on: 04 Apr 2013, 13:12 »

Yeah, to be fair Star Wars has been down the shitter for a while. And I'm one of those fans that thinks a while is (at least in terms of feature films) since 2005.

I'm going with the idea that getting old franchises to other developers will be a good thing, hopefully get those titles out of the stagnation that they've been dwelling in for years. Even the not-so-popular titles, like Indiana Jones, could surely find a new paying audience (for the old titles, that is). And since the prequel trilogy ended it seems like the company have had no idea where to go in terms of Star Wars titles. I can't remember the last great Star Wars game that came out. Jedi Academy? KOTOR 2? Battlefront II?

What completely irked me is that 1313 was apparently going to be about Boba Fett and the 2012 E3 footage was never going to manifest into a full game. It was going to be a TV series tie-in before that never got off the ground. Also, nobody seems to have noticed that I already fucking played 1313 apparently, that game has been out for 11 years.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2013, 13:18 »

That's what I was thinking when they announced that it would have been a Boba Fett game. I also wondered how close to Prey 2 it would be.

But man, as much as I'm sad that we won't get another Rogue Squadron or Battlefront, we still wouldn't have cause they suck at getting things out. It was basically a giant vat of wasted potential.

Lupercal

« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2013, 13:25 »

True that. Looks like I'm going to struggle to ever play Rouge Squadron again without getting a Win98 PC or something. None of the N64 emulators I've used have worked for that.

As I said, they completely lost direction after the prequels. Shitty Kinect titles, Clone Wars tie-ins and LEGO games were never going to get serious gamers to open their wallets again. I always assume when I play Mass Effect that it's essentially the spiritual sequel to KOTOR.

I must also mention how great the Episode I game was. The only game I can remember in which you can freely kill as many Gungans as you like.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 04 Apr 2013, 13:28 »

I don't know why, but I loved the Revenge of the Sith GBA game. Also, the Lego games were all pretty good, even the Clone Wars one, but they do the whole 3 movies, or 6, in one go so they couldn't release more.

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 04 Apr 2013, 13:29 »

To be fair, the Lego Star Wars games were fantastic. Of course they weren't made by LucasArts so they really shouldn't get much in the way of credit.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 04 Apr 2013, 14:17 »

Still think it was weird that LA got pushed into pretty much Star Wars Only. Their name was slapped on a good amount of cool stuff over the years.

C'mon you cowards,  let's see some games involving the Yuuzhon Vong (or my personal silly favorite the Ssi-ruuvi). Stop mining those movie veins for a bit, they need time to regrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 04 Apr 2013, 14:20 »

Oh yeah, they had an amazingly varied catalog for a lot of years before turning into the Star Wars studio.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2013, 18:11 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #18 on: 04 Apr 2013, 18:09 »

I always assume when I play Mass Effect that it's essentially the spiritual sequel to KOTOR.

See, you could think that, but it's really the spiritual sequel to Star Control 2, also known as The Ur-Quan Masters. There is a bunch of similarities between races and factions, the star exploration system looks similar, and the planet exploration system looks (kinda) similar.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #19 on: 04 Apr 2013, 18:11 »

To be fair, the Lego Star Wars games were fantastic. Of course they weren't made by LucasArts so they really shouldn't get much in the way of credit.

i have/had (IDK anymore) all the GPS LSW games. great fun.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #20 on: 06 Apr 2013, 19:13 »

raven salutes lucasarts with release of jedi knight ii source code.

That's cool, I guess. Judging from the download sizes - 10 and 12 megs, assets are probably not included. Still, if you know c++, there's nothing stopping you from having at it. Yay!

This is incredibly cool.
The modding community for the Jedi Knight series has been one of the biggest and longest-running communities I've ever seen. This could be a potential gold-mine for them!

Lupercal

« Reply #21 on: 07 Apr 2013, 04:15 »

I always assume when I play Mass Effect that it's essentially the spiritual sequel to KOTOR.

See, you could think that, but it's really the spiritual sequel to Star Control 2, also known as The Ur-Quan Masters. There is a bunch of similarities between races and factions, the star exploration system looks similar, and the planet exploration system looks (kinda) similar.

Looks cool, will definitely check this out in some form or another. Thank you!

There was quite an interesting space mod for Jedi Academy, wherein you can pilot all the ships in the game. It's called Asteroids. Should really dig out my old copy of that...

Pages: [1]   Go Up