THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your best Rockstar moment.  (Read 5056 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Your best Rockstar moment.
« on: 18 Mar 2013, 04:10 »

I guess nobody in their right mind could ignore the ingenuity that is Rockstar Games. They are known for creating worlds that are unbelievably rich and atmospheric (I'll stop sounding like a paid advertiser in a minute, I swear), offer incredible freedom in exploration and having incredible and top-class writing to boot.

Which leads me to my actual question: What was your favourite Rockstar moment? That time when you knew this game you were playing was not like any other you ever did?
Post them here (and feel free to discuss Rockstar more!)

There was one pivotal moment in Max Payne 3 that made me realize just how great Rockstar as a studio really is.
(click to show/hide)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: Your best Rockstar moment.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:39 »

Yeah but they also made State of Emergency.

Less snarky edit: Which was a fun game, if you were cheating and messing around, just neither compelling nor fun otherwise.

They're very good at making me feel as worn and tired of it all as their often awful/sort-of-awful-people protagonists. That sounds like a gripe but I promise it's not, I enjoy that feeling in the context of a storytelling experience. By the time either of the first two Max Payne games were wrapping up, for example, I was feeling..well, Max Payne-y. A little loopy and soul-sick on behalf of my hero.

Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4 do a decent job of that, though I never get *very* far.
(click to show/hide)

L.A. Noire was pretty sweet for the most part, and I did play the hell out of that.
(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2013, 13:52 »

I'll admit, I'm actually not overly fond of Rockstar. I do love how well they manage satirical writing in general, but they're games are something that I almost never make it through. GTAIV, L.A. Noire and Vice City being the big exceptions.

L.A. Noire is probably what I'd call my absolute favorite of their work though. Incredibly innovative, if also incredibly flawed, but at the end of the day I also didn't consider it all that fun. But flawed is not necesarilly a knock against the game considering some of my favorite games of all time were practically put together with the coding equivalent of bird poop and barbed wire.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2013, 00:06 »

I'm with ackblom, I'm not a big fan of Rockstar, their control scheme in particular makes me know hate in multiple dimensions of rage. However I remember many fond hours playing Vice City with my best friend at the time, usually well past the bed times we probably should have been listening to at that point making up "multiplayer" modes such as Stars, wherein you have 30 seconds (on a stop watch cause we were serious about this) to hit five stars, then you had to go till you died. Usually with ridiculous conditions attached like "You can only use a chainsaw and RPGs" ...looking back now it's a wonder that my buddy and I didn't end up in a psych ward, we clearly had issues XD
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 20:12 »

Probably my favorite moment was riding into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:33 »

Cold wind blows onto the skin
can't believe this state I'm in
You're so far, so far away...

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:54 »

Running into the mall in Vice City, with 5 stars wanted level, and when I came out, every exit was literally a goddamned shooting gallery, and I was the duck - and I managed to jump into a cop car, get far enough away that when I jumped out of it (because it was on fire), I stole the equivalent to a Lamborghini and actually got away, and made it to a respray shop.

It was an intense enough experience that I still remember it vividly.

That said, I've not really felt anything like that in a GTA game since.

That kind of sucks.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2013, 16:07 »

I see where you come from. IMHO, Vice City was such a hard game to play RIGHT, and the moments you did were amazing.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2013, 13:28 »

Another great moment I remembered was in the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare side mission Birth of the Conservation Movement. In Tanner's Reach, Marston will come across a frightened frontiersman shooting randomly into the wilderness and yelling about Sasquatches. He will then task the player with killing Sasquatch in the Tall Trees area. After you hunt down 5 of them you come across the last Sasquatch and this cutscene plays
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2013, 19:07 by Blue Kitty »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2013, 22:48 »

Running into the mall in Vice City, with 5 stars wanted level, and when I came out, every exit was literally a goddamned shooting gallery, and I was the duck - and I managed to jump into a cop car, get far enough away that when I jumped out of it (because it was on fire), I stole the equivalent to a Lamborghini and actually got away, and made it to a respray shop.

It was an intense enough experience that I still remember it vividly.

That said, I've not really felt anything like that in a GTA game since.

That kind of sucks.

I have always felt Vice City was/is easily the best GTA game. It just felt right.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2013, 23:12 »

I assumed it was because no one felt bad killing people from the 80s.  :evil:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:50 »

I assumed it was because no one felt bad killing people from the 80s.  :evil:

Or because we all assumed driving down the freeway while firing a full auto Uzi is just how one said hi in Miami.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2013, 17:38 »

I have always felt Vice City was/is easily the best GTA game. It just felt right.
I never actually beat Vice City, I played all the way until maybe the third to last mission and couldn't get it to start, and then years later I found out why.
(click to show/hide)
This was a good decade ago and I was just 15 or so.  Anyway, I just downloaded it on my phone, so I might play it now and again and hopefully I'll finally beat it. Although I noticed something in one of the first cinematics the other day I didn't notice playing the game in 2002.
(click to show/hide)
Anyway, I liked San Andreas a lot more (finished it pretty quickly) and I liked IV a lot more, and did several full playthroughs (two when I first got it to get both endings, and once every few months for a few years after that). I only played the add-ons once each, but I enjoyed them. If I fix the problems my PS3 is having (or don't, but have enough money to get a PS4 in the fall), I fully intend on picking up V.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2013, 17:43 »

I only played GTA IV on PC, and Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories on PSP. All the other GTAs were before I could play them (no way to get them, and not allowed to buy them)

Vice City Stories was great
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2013, 17:51 »

I played LCS once it was ported, never played VCS, but heard good things.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2013, 17:58 »

LCS is really limited in the possibilities in comparison to VCS. I remember that the only way to fly a helicopter in LCS was, shooting the Heli in one specific mission (which is the only Heli to appear in LCS), then failing the mission, and pushing the destroyed heli through the whole city, into the one garage it fits into. In the Garage the heli was repaired, and then you could fly it. I was surprised they even implemented all the controls for the heli, even if they never officially made it flyable. And AFAIR you couldn't swim in LCS. Admittedly the story of LCS was great, but after finishing that, VCS was more fun.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2013, 18:01 »

Yeah, I just rented it and powered through it, I don't remember much of LCS.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 01 Apr 2013, 06:20 »

Red Dead Redemption is probably the best game I've ever played. I've never been so invested and immersed.

My funniest moment was playing that for the first time having never played a third person shooter before, trying to cross the street and accidentally shooting someone in the face.

My greatest moment in any Rockstar game is the bank robbery mission in GTA IV. That is an astonishingly brilliant mission and I would have paid the full price just to play that over and over. Heat is one of my favourite movies and it felt like being IN the movie Heat.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 01 Apr 2013, 06:21 »

My greatest moment in any Rockstar game is the bank robbery mission in GTA IV. That is an astonishingly brilliant mission and I would have paid the full price just to play that over and over. Heat is one of my favourite movies and it felt like being IN the movie Heat.
What excites me the most is that Rockstar said that they used that mission as inspiration for the new GTA. Colour me interested!

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #20 on: 02 Apr 2013, 21:58 »

Seriously, no love for The Warriors?

RDR is definitely my favorite Rockstar game, and while I've never really been able to get into GTA, I like their approach to sandboxes and storytelling.  As far as major developers go, I appreciate that they tend to be pretty willing to try new things, even if they don't always work out. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2013, 06:23 »

Re: bank robbery. I loved it, but did anyone else beat it by running back into the subway and running until their wanted level was gone and then taking a cab? I thought it was hilarious that they went into a cab with bags full of money, then proceeded to talk about how their bank robbery.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #22 on: 03 Apr 2013, 10:56 »

No, I didn't think of that, and honestly I found it more fun this way.

I did a similar thing with that biker who you chase to the park though, I just gunned him down on his bike before he even got there.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 03 Apr 2013, 11:36 »

All this talk reminds me now of when I stopped playing GTA4, and sort of why.
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #24 on: 03 Apr 2013, 15:28 »

No, I didn't think of that, and honestly I found it more fun this way.
Oh, my first playthrough, I did everything standard, although I may have used the tunnel to my advantage while driving. Future playthroughs would have me pretty much take taxis everywhere and try to find new ways to beat a level. For example, the level with the lawyer:
(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 03 Apr 2013, 15:34 »

I've escaped missions in similar ways by mistake, by just dropping off a balcony and JUST surviving the drop.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #26 on: 03 Apr 2013, 18:31 »

Method, as for what mission I think you're talking about,
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 03 Apr 2013, 18:51 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up