THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mafia 8 - The Shapers of Life  (Read 26836 times)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Mafia 8 - The Shapers of Life
« Reply #200 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:13 »

I roll a d20 and get an 13.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #201 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:15 »

T is not a vowel.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #202 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:15 »

*rolls a d20* 11

Anyway, I call Warrior/Fighter/Soldier/whatever the tank class might be.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #203 on: 18 Apr 2013, 11:19 »

*rolls a d20*
 :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #204 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:04 »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #205 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:32 »

((OOC: Yes, that was kinda what I was getting at  :-D I think a better title for the comic would have been "Meta-Gaming", though.))

((IC:))
Your mission is to find the source of a mysterious killing spree that has befallen the city.

cesium133: Your future... doesn't look good.
ChaoSera: Okay, you get an elf rogue. You don't have to sleep, ever. But you probably wouldn't want to with killers on the loose, anyway.

TheEvilDog: In accordance with your wishes... you are a Shetland Pony. You are very sturdy and can protect your companions from tough blows with your body. You also have a very... cheerful nature.

Method of Madness: You are a tea kettle. Your role consists of as many vowels as consonants, making you a very balanced character, free to pursue whatever path you choose. You like to have parties with hares and hatters.

----

You start in a bar, sitting at a table with some other characters. On the table are a few miniatures and a cardboard standing upright, despite not being folded, defying gravity.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #206 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:37 »

You are a tea kettle. Your role consists of as many vowels as consonants

:facepalm: ...apparently, I cannot count. Well, then a whitespace is a vowel now.

Oh, and I believe this is obligatory: What do you do?

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #207 on: 18 Apr 2013, 13:07 »

I try to sneak some of the figurines under my shirt. I'm a rogue afterall. Gotta steal stuff.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #208 on: 18 Apr 2013, 13:17 »

I am not quite sure how you expect this to help you with your quest, but okay.

While grabbing for the figurines, you briefly notice that the one that looks a bit like Gareth looks pretty damaged.

You successfully manage to captchalogue some of the figurines under your shirt. They are kinda poke-y.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #209 on: 18 Apr 2013, 13:34 »

I back-kick the table and neigh before going off to find some apples.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #210 on: 18 Apr 2013, 13:58 »

*attempts to pick up figurine and loses an arm*

Zingoleb

« Reply #211 on: 18 Apr 2013, 14:22 »

You successfully manage to captchalogue some of the figurines under your shirt. They are kinda poke-y.

Homestuck references will always be met with my approval.

Sorry for the long night, as I was stuck in a bus station overnight. A post is to follow.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #212 on: 18 Apr 2013, 14:24 »

*attempts to pick up figurine and loses an arm*

Sounds like somebody needs a healer... too bad the party doesn't have one. Unless a tea kettle is capable of brewing something that regens arms.  :-P

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #213 on: 18 Apr 2013, 14:27 »

Sorry for the long night, as I was stuck in a bus station overnight. A post is to follow.

Ergh, right, sorry. I must admit, I had kinda forgotten about that *blushes*

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #214 on: 18 Apr 2013, 16:30 »

The cactus' cigarette burns down, and fades into ashes. A light snoring might be heard from said cactus. Maybe.

Zingoleb

« Reply #215 on: 18 Apr 2013, 18:37 »

The night seemed to be echoing the day, a nocturnal endlessness to match the slow drag of the sun. It is hard to say for sure, but perhaps that is why the night proved to be so very bloody in the end.

It certainly started out peaceful enough - despite the war and the suspicions people had leveled against one another, despite the innocent man they had hanged, there was some level of amiability to be found. Some had even joined together to play a game, though no one seemed to understand the rules very well. Still, the diversion was welcomed, even enjoyed, at least until a scream was heard from outside. There was a rush outside, but the struggle was over before anyone was there.

de_la_nae was laid out on the docks, staring blankly into the night sky, one arm laid out, the gentle waves of the sea lapping at her hand as it hung down. Her throat had been slit, and for apparent good measure she had been stabbed multiple times in the chest. Her robes and clothes were soaked in blood, running down to stain the wood of the docks and drip into the water.

Past the docks a boat was already out to sea, a figure wrapped in tight clothes steering away from the shore. "The Shapers will never suffer a rebel to live!" they called back to the assembled villagers, turning away from the city to steer away - it wasn't long before they were lost in the fog.

Stunned, the onlookers pressed forward to move the body, but before they could even reach her, an angry roar filled the air. The sound could only have come from a creation, and several people ran towards the noise, though the more sensible people hung back. The ones that raced to the scene found a battle taking place in the streets, TRVA123 standing tall and screaming orders at her creation, a towering Battle Gamma, skin glowing from within from the sheer power poured into it. It wasn't the only thing glowing, though - the human standing opposite the Shaper was glowing as well where her skin was revealed, in strips where her clothing had exposed her flesh, her eyes radiating with a cold, bright harshness.

The Gamma swung, and missed; the infiltrator was already running, though, charging at the monstrous creation and jumping on it, sinking her knives into the sides of its throat, even as it beat at her with fists solid as small boulders. It staggered and fell, and she rode it to the ground, raising her hand and blasting it in the face with conjured acid, directly into its eyes and roaring maw.

TRVA was already bringing forth another creation, some behemothic lizard, but her focus was interrupted as the infiltrator rose and charged the Shaper, leaving the creation behind her to claw at its own face in its final agonising moments. The half-formed creation was dispelled, and she shot a spell at the approaching assassin, a fireball that exploded through the night, bathing the scene in a burst of fiery light, hitting her square in the chest. She couldn't help but scream as it did, the fire burning through cloth and charring her flesh, her voice a roaring, inhuman tangle of pained fury and satisfaction - the satisfaction of a kill, the satisfaction that came as she leapt at the Shaper, taking her down and forcing a knife into her chest.

Silence.

The Shaper and her creation were dead, the only sound the heavy breathing of the infiltrator. The villagers that had gathered were silent, not speaking, not moving to intercept the killer of the leader of the Shapers in Porphyra. She looked up at them, her gaze hard, pupils glowing coldly from the essence that had reShaped her form, and in another moment she was on her feet and running.

Running.

And gone.

Dawn broke over the city.
Day 3

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #216 on: 18 Apr 2013, 22:26 »

*The cactus begins to smolder, and slowly burn to ash*

((And I'm out))

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #217 on: 18 Apr 2013, 23:27 »

So much death...
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #218 on: 19 Apr 2013, 00:29 »

This... was eventful.

I think we can safely assume that our two attackers of the night are not the same person.

Person X attacked de_la_Nae with stabbing and found her to be a Rebel, which is interesting in itself, because that either requires some luck on their part, or they had a method to divine who she was. X self-identified as Shaper, but we don't know if that is true.

Person Y battled TRVA123, who turned out to be a Shaper. We don't know Y's motivations. We also don't know who attacked whom in the first place, although it looked a bit like Y attacked TRVA123 for sure and they defended.

Furthermore, we know the following:
Gareth's body was laid out in the street, badly mutilated. If there was a fight, he didn't put up much of one - his knife was unsheathed, his body covered in stab wounds and severe burns, flesh and armour burned away, melted from what could only be an acidic spell.

At least Acid-Person A, but possibly also Stabby-Person B, attacked Gareth. It is also worth noting  that we have seen Y use both daggers and acid, which may indicate they are Acid-Person A AND Stabby-Person B. In fact, I am gonna take this as my working hypothesis, because it's more likely than assuming that A and B attacked Gareth independently.

If Y=B, then Person X (the one stabbing The Cactus) is a new attacker, but only under the assumption that X did not teleport from their boat to the middle of the city to engage TRVA.

So for now, I am gonna assume the following:

• Stabcidic Person Y killed both Gareth and TRVA123
  • We don't know the motives of Stabcidic Person Y
  • Stabcidic Person Y acted on the first night
  • Person X killed de_la_Nae
  • Person X is either a Shaper or just wanted to make us think they are a Shaper
  • Person X did not use Shaping to kill de_la_Nae
  • Person X is either employed by the Shapers or not member of the Shaper faction at all or they are a Shaper who prefers traditional weapons
  • Person X did not act on the first night

I shall also notice that noone playing my game died (not even cesium133, which was surprising to me), which means I am a beacon of luck and radiate positive energy all over the place, so everyone join my game!

Speaking of which, I roll Knowledge (Lore) to find out if Acidic Spray is a spell of the Shapers.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #219 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:35 »

I went back and checked who got innocent mtmerrick killed. Apparently, it were:

* TheEvilDog
* cesium133
* TRVA123 (deceased)

TheEvilDog was really quick to accuse mtmerrick (which, incidentally, protected me, but that doesn't make me trust him any more.

So seeing as I have nothing else to go on:

TheEvilDog, answer for yourself.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #220 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:40 »

I would also like to point out that cesium kinda tried to burn down the village.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #221 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:01 »

I fail to see how this is relevant :mrgreen:

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #222 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:39 »

Well maybe he got tired of killing people one by one so he tried to kill everybody at once. Or at least make them homeless. I dunno.  :psyduck:

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #223 on: 19 Apr 2013, 06:04 »

I would also like to point out that cesium kinda tried to burn down the village.
Hey, I'm an alkali metal, that's what I do!  :evil:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #224 on: 19 Apr 2013, 08:58 »

Loki, I trust you as much as I trust your namesake. Which is to say, not much. You've been trying to distract the village away from what's going on, as a trickster would do, no less. Probably to throw us off from realising you're a murderer.
Loki, I accuse you!

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #225 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:11 »

Loki, I trust you as much as I trust your namesake.

*raises eyebrow* You should be the last one speaking of ill-meaning names.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #226 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:15 »

Oh, and also: your pony character in the game we were playing just got infected with a bad case of "DM fiat". That's what you get for not idly standing by while I try to get you lynched.  :x

It is a mysterious disease which attracts rocks to fall on you and your party.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #227 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:32 »

Hey, I'm an alkali metal, that's what I do!  :evil:
Then why aren't you exploding right now?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #228 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:35 »

Oh, and also: your pony character in the game we were playing just got infected with a bad case of "DM fiat". That's what you get for not idly standing by while I try to get you lynched.  :x

It is a mysterious disease which attracts rocks to fall on you and your party.

My pony character runs up and bites the DM's head.
You just got pwned by a pony. You got powned! (I have no idea what portmanteau that would be)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #229 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:42 »

pwnied?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #230 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:07 »

my little pwny?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #231 on: 19 Apr 2013, 13:21 »

This... was eventful.

I think we can safely assume that our two attackers of the night are not the same person.

Person X attacked de_la_Nae with stabbing and found her to be a Rebel, which is interesting in itself, because that either requires some luck on their part, or they had a method to divine who she was. X self-identified as Shaper, but we don't know if that is true.

Person Y battled TRVA123, who turned out to be a Shaper. We don't know Y's motivations. We also don't know who attacked whom in the first place, although it looked a bit like Y attacked TRVA123 for sure and they defended.

Furthermore, we know the following:
Gareth's body was laid out in the street, badly mutilated. If there was a fight, he didn't put up much of one - his knife was unsheathed, his body covered in stab wounds and severe burns, flesh and armour burned away, melted from what could only be an acidic spell.

At least Acid-Person A, but possibly also Stabby-Person B, attacked Gareth. It is also worth noting  that we have seen Y use both daggers and acid, which may indicate they are Acid-Person A AND Stabby-Person B. In fact, I am gonna take this as my working hypothesis, because it's more likely than assuming that A and B attacked Gareth independently.

If Y=B, then Person X (the one stabbing The Cactus) is a new attacker, but only under the assumption that X did not teleport from their boat to the middle of the city to engage TRVA.

So for now, I am gonna assume the following:

• Stabcidic Person Y killed both Gareth and TRVA123
  • We don't know the motives of Stabcidic Person Y
  • Stabcidic Person Y acted on the first night
  • Person X killed de_la_Nae
  • Person X is either a Shaper or just wanted to make us think they are a Shaper
  • Person X did not use Shaping to kill de_la_Nae
  • Person X is either employed by the Shapers or not member of the Shaper faction at all or they are a Shaper who prefers traditional weapons
  • Person X did not act on the first night

I shall also notice that noone playing my game died (not even cesium133, which was surprising to me), which means I am a beacon of luck and radiate positive energy all over the place, so everyone join my game!

Speaking of which, I roll Knowledge (Lore) to find out if Acidic Spray is a spell of the Shapers.

so what you're saying is that we have two killers on our hands here.

that's a lot of text to say very little.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #232 on: 19 Apr 2013, 15:36 »

Not precisely. I am trying to figure out how many factions are in the fight, their targets, and the mechanics which trigger a battle.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #233 on: 19 Apr 2013, 15:45 »

Why would I be serving Shapers? Their goals are not mine and vice-versa.

I went back and checked who got innocent mtmerrick killed.

I quote these because I think there's a little clashing between the statements. The first reads as though Loki is likely a rebel. But (I think) mtmerrick was a villager for the pro-shaper faction, since the shapers watched over the refugees. So it's a little weird that a rebel would think someone on the other side was innocent. This could probably be spun several different ways, so I will simply ask Loki to elaborate what he meant exactly in these statements for the sake of knowing where to go from there.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #234 on: 19 Apr 2013, 16:11 »

First of all, thank you for not jumping to conclusions, but asking for my input instead.

As I have stated before, my goal is to create an arrangement of the universe most conductive to my needs. My goals do not lie with the Shapers, nor against them, they are rather... orthogonal, if the term may be applicable. Thus, if a Shaper and I were to meet, we would probably have little to say to each other.

I am, however, not sure how you expect me to make a convincing argument here. If I state to side with any Shapers, I will surely receive an unpleasant visit from the rebels the night. If I state to side with any rebels, my visitors would probably be of the sort like the creations we have seen TRVA conjure, and I have a bad feeling about that. If I state to be a factionless villager, you might assume that I am only saying this to escape a trial swayed by whatever faction.

I regard mtmerrick to be a casualty of war, a man who came from nowhere, was thrown into a society which was apparently most alien to him, and then was lynched for crimes he did not commit. As such, his death pains me, as it did not bring any of the sides justice, nor knowledge, and I bore no ill will against him.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #235 on: 19 Apr 2013, 16:23 »

I regard mtmerrick to be a casualty of war, a man who came from nowhere, was thrown into a society which was apparently most alien to him, and then was lynched for crimes he did not commit.
this is fully correct. I never had any faction.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #236 on: 19 Apr 2013, 16:42 »

OOC: Dude, there's a sign-up thread where you can talk about the game. You died in this thread, remember.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #237 on: 19 Apr 2013, 19:07 »

I am, however, not sure how you expect me to make a convincing argument here. If I state to side with any Shapers, I will surely receive an unpleasant visit from the rebels the night. If I state to side with any rebels, my visitors would probably be of the sort like the creations we have seen TRVA conjure, and I have a bad feeling about that. If I state to be a factionless villager, you might assume that I am only saying this to escape a trial swayed by whatever faction.

I just wanted you to clarify your intentions behind each statement. It wouldn't do me any good if you did state one way or the other, since my reaction to any revelations could cause me unwanted attention as well. I don't have any real issues with your answers either, since it was the only thing that makes sense other than you being a liar... which I suppose is still possible, but I have no reason to think so.

Though I do feel like you may be a little hasty in your vote... especially after so much effort in analyzing the the killers' MOs and victims. I'll have to review the past couple days just to see if I agree at all.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #238 on: 19 Apr 2013, 20:33 »

I'm suspicious of J, honestly.  For now, I kind of believe that Loki is innocent, and I definitely wouldn't want to kill someone for trying to outline their thought process - if anything, that's what we all should be doing.

So I'll be back.  I'm not really sold on anyone yet, but we still have time to talk about it.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #239 on: 19 Apr 2013, 20:35 »

personally, i'm suspicious of people who spread suspicion

henri bemis

« Reply #240 on: 19 Apr 2013, 20:38 »

I thought that's what you were trying to do with your last comment to Loki, but re-reading, I could have been reading too much into it?  Like "that's a lot of text to say very little.  *ominous eyebrow raise*."

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #241 on: 20 Apr 2013, 03:43 »

I just wanted you to clarify your intentions behind each statement. It wouldn't do me any good if you did state one way or the other, since my reaction to any revelations could cause me unwanted attention as well. I don't have any real issues with your answers either, since it was the only thing that makes sense other than you being a liar... which I suppose is still possible, but I have no reason to think so.

This was insightful.

*offers the pony an apple to munch on*

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #242 on: 20 Apr 2013, 10:59 »

I thought that's what you were trying to do with your last comment to Loki, but re-reading, I could have been reading too much into it?  Like "that's a lot of text to say very little.  *ominous eyebrow raise*."

i was trying to see if loki was getting at anything more substantive than 'there were two killers'.

Zingoleb

« Reply #243 on: 20 Apr 2013, 14:13 »

Votes so far:

TheEvilDog: 1
Loki: 1

The day ends in four hours.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #244 on: 20 Apr 2013, 15:56 »

I'm suspicious of J, honestly.  For now, I kind of believe that Loki is innocent, and I definitely wouldn't want to kill someone for trying to outline their thought process - if anything, that's what we all should be doing.

So I'll be back.  I'm not really sold on anyone yet, but we still have time to talk about it.

If you were, for example, willing to act on those believes, I will not stand in your way.
In fact, I soon might be in no position to stand at all.

I can only repeat my reasons for wanting to lynch TheEvilDog. He cast his vote too fast for my taste. I hope that the Grand Jury can agree with my point of view, or otherwise look into themselves and follow their hearts in the search for truth.

I solemnly swear that I was not responsible for anyone's death. Nor do I steal apples from unsuspecting merchants. Not accusing anyone or anything, just saying that I do not do such things. Anyone who would do that would probably deserve to be hanged, but that's just my opinion.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #245 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:25 »

Eh, Loki seems to be pretty intent on killing TheEvilDog, and I haven't seen any evidence that TheEvilDog is actually involved in killing anyone... so I'm going to vote to lynch Loki.

henri bemis

« Reply #246 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:42 »

Ok, we're running out of time, and there are only two votes.  Ugh.  I don't really think it's Loki or TheEvilDog - then again, I've been completely wrong about people in the past.

Since I still have some time, I'm holding off for a minute and re-reading the thread.

henri bemis

« Reply #247 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:56 »

Ok, de_la_Nae was a rebel and voted for cesium133 yesterday, which means he's likely not a bad guy *trying* to steer us wrong, which is not something I can say with any certainty about Loki.

So instead of leaving it up to chance, I'm going with cesium. 

vote to kill Loki

henri bemis

« Reply #248 on: 20 Apr 2013, 16:59 »

(and now I just realized that Unicorn's post was before cesium's, so my vote doesn't really make a difference.  This is what I get for not reading the thread in order  :-P)

Zingoleb

« Reply #249 on: 20 Apr 2013, 17:56 »

The day ends in one hour. If you want to change your vote, there's still time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up