THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 Jun 2024, 02:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which QC character, besides Clinton or Claire, would you most like to have as a sibling?

Dora
- 4 (5.4%)
Sven
- 1 (1.4%)
Faye
- 4 (5.4%)
Tai
- 3 (4.1%)
Marigold
- 12 (16.2%)
Hanners
- 10 (13.5%)
Mieville
- 1 (1.4%)
Raven
- 3 (4.1%)
Veronica
- 1 (1.4%)
Jimbo
- 1 (1.4%)
Jim
- 0 (0%)
Padma
- 0 (0%)
Princess (Sven's cat)
- 1 (1.4%)
Pintsize
- 0 (0%)
Yelling Bird
- 1 (1.4%)
Shame Orb
- 1 (1.4%)
Harriet
- 3 (4.1%)
Turkeys (male)
- 1 (1.4%)
Turkeys (female)
- 0 (0%)
Other (specify)
- 2 (2.7%)
OK, Fine, Claire
- 3 (4.1%)
Oops, forgot Marten
- 5 (6.8%)
And Momo
- 11 (14.9%)
Let alone Emily!
- 6 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2425-2429 (15-19 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 80989 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Understood, but when discussing Clinton's experience of the transition, isn't that what it looked like to him?

I can't speak on behalf of the community and I don't claim to represent it, but the way I see it, what you're saying is just wrong, and I'm not sure you understand. Way too much emphasis is placed on transition, people make a big deal out of what should be completely irrelevant. Claire isn't a "trans person", she's just a person. She may have been born with some male traits, physically, but that doesn't change who she is, or was, at all. She's just Claire, and she's always been Claire. Think of "transition" like, say, surgery for a heart condition - do you think of that person any differently because they had surgery for a heart condition? Presumably it doesn't even cross your mind. In the same way that surgery for a heart condition is a non-factor, "transition" should be a non-factor in your mind.

Let's talk further, over in the trans issues thread in Discuss.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Latias

• Plantmonster

"Should be" and "is" are often two different things. What's being speculated upon here is not how Clinton should have thought about Claire, but how he actually thought about her.

Unless my memory is failing me, there is absolutely nothing in the comic / anything surrounding the comic that suggests Clinton did anything wrong. In addition, Jeph has made it clear that his stance with Claire is to show inclusiveness, not conflict. To me, to suggest that Clinton may have viewed Claire differently is completely baseless speculation and feels like a suggestion from someone who doesn't fully understand the implications of what they're suggesting. I'm open to the possibility that my interpretation of the situation may be wrong, that's just how I see it.

Edit:
Let's talk further, over in the trans issues thread in Discuss.

Whoops, didn't see this. Sorry, I did not intend to derail this thread.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Whoops, didn't see this. Sorry, I did not intend to derail this thread.

Don't see how you could be, given that the current comics are of Claire and trans* issues.

If anything it was our language-talk that was off-topic.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What is unmistakable is that Clinton is the kind of family member every trans person should have and that far too many don't have.

I wonder how much is because he's a DHB and how much is because they had to stick together to ride out the divorce.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

Clinton made a bad first impression.
Then he made a bad second impression.
Then (for me) a bad third, a bad fourth, and... how many appearances has he made so far?

Just because he's kind to his sister doesn't make him in any way a tolerable character for me. If I see he's in it, I skip the day's strip.

A day with no strip at all is better than a strip with Clinton in it for me.
But Jeph can write whatever he wants  :-) Even if that's not your cup of tea.
I am very sorry that I dared to have a preference. I shall return immediately to praising the great lord Jeph.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Clinton is pretty awesome for being supportive and protective of Claire, even if overprotective at times. I would have wished for a brother like that instead of, well... I haven't spoken to my blood relations in over a decade.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I hope Claire's parents turn out to be better than that.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Actually, HAVE we heard anything about their parents?

Drostan

• Not quite a lurker

Actually, HAVE we heard anything about their parents?

It was linked earlier, but yes: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2371

mtmerrick

Oh that's right.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Jeez Clinton. just when I was beginning to think you wern't such a twat.   :roll:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Claire isn't a "trans person", she's just a person.

That Jeph is writing her accordingly has pleased a lot of people (in addition to being good art per se).

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

New Comic!

The fact that he said "Which one?" instead of "No" scares me  :psyduck: .

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

I'm not sure what to make of today's comic, but I do like Emily referring to Clinton as Mister Robot Hand. :-D

Mega Man doesn't really mean anything to me, it's not a game I've ever seen, or has particularly ever come up before, so I'm not quite sure what Emily's surprise is for, unless she's running off to see about acquiring the later titles.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

For some reason as she is running off, I hear Adam West yelling "To the Batmobile, Robin!"

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I read is as if Emily has already played the later Mega Man games without knowing about the new feature, and now want to play them again with her newfound knowledge.

Warning - while you were wasting time a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

*Sigh*
What do you know about Pokémon?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Now I want to see an epic battle.

Clintonhand vs. Pintsize vs. Deathbot 9000 vs. Vespabot

...vs Momo vs. Squirrel.

I have only seen the Megaman anime.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Oh, Emily.  Don't ever ch–

Aaaaaugh noooooooo!!!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

westrim

Next strip is Emily slamming into someone on her way home and beginning an arc of character development for her.

I'm thinking Sven.  :evil:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

How is the library warm enough for a woman to be comfortable in a tank top and shorts?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Ugh, Clinton just introduced Emily to the worst thing that ever happened to the Mega Man franchise.

"Hey fellow Capcom employees, we're renowned for making some of the most awesome videogame music ever, so how about in all our future Mega Man games we give Mega Man an ability that the players would be foolish not to use, and also make it give off a constant high-pitched WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE sound to drown out the kickin' midi tunes?"

I really like the Night Watch novels by Sergey Lukyanenko. There you have an additional dimension, the Twilight, which you can enter with magic. It amplifies your abilities and makes you immaterial to people in the real world and you can still manipulate the real world. The downsides are that it continiously drains your magical energy and that sounds are stifled etc.

The games have really beautiful music. Except you spend half of it in combat. And, you guessed it. Normal music is not present when you are in the Twilight. And you must enter Twilight, because the enemy does. *rage*
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Emily's mind = blown
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

westrim

How is the library warm enough for a woman to be comfortable in a tank top and shorts?
A bundle of energy like that would be warm in a snowstorm.

Hey, haven't we seen that second panel background before? Momo and the squirrel maybe, or Marten and Angus's slapfight?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Hmmm... I maybe she didn't know about the MegaMan games AFTER MM3?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Air conditioning?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mtmerrick

But seriously, Emily+Clinton?  :psyduck:

No, down ship, down.

Behave.... Good ship.

(my sister loves this show, ok? :P)

also, emily's head looks kinda weird to me in the second frame.  :psyduck:

I love how Clinton didn't say "no"  :-D

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

Mega Man doesn't really mean anything to me, it's not a game I've ever seen, or has particularly ever come up before, so I'm not quite sure what Emily's surprise is for, unless she's running off to see about acquiring the later titles.
Maybe she already has a Mega Man Mega Collection, and could never quite get anywhere with the later ones. Now she is armed with new knowledge, she actually stands more of a chance, maybe...

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Hey, haven't we seen that second panel background before? Momo and the squirrel maybe, or Marten and Angus's slapfight?

Yep. Also Faye and Padma's street sparring, and Elliot's enthusiastic high five. Jeph likes it.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

New Comic!

The fact that he said "Which one?" instead of "No" scares me  :psyduck: .

Personally, I rather liked how he delivered it with a straight face
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

CleoKat

• Not quite a lurker

Next strip is Emily slamming into someone on her way home and beginning an arc of character development for her.

I'd really love to see some development of Emily's character but I'm not sure a relationship would work. I do really miss Sven and although I don't think Emily is right for him that's mostly because Emily doesn't have much depth of character. She's just zany and off-beat and when I compare her to Hannelore or Marigold who have wackier moments she seems so shallow. She behaves as if she's younger than Sam (who is a hundred kinds of awesome) so a relationship arc feels a little creepy.

I'm not giving up on Emily, I'm just hanging in here trying to be patient while Jeph does his thing. And secretly hoping for more Sven :)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Poor Emily...she's gonna die of Terminal Worldview Collapse. And all before she can come back, clarify her question to Clinton, and have him give her a resounding "No."

Maybe he does shoot blasters. :psyduck: After all, it does have a murder mode...but then again, so do the rest of us.
Worry Hat, Engage!

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!

I kind of want to try playing later games without the charge. It makes me wonder if she somehow managed to beat them by doing so.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I could never get after the moving platforms at the beginning of the Guts Man level, and over the decades I've made fresh attempts every few years. Still can't.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Maybe she is.running out of fear. His response implies that his  hand has weapons attachments,  it is just unclear which game they resemble.

I too am unfamiliar with the game as I have never been into video games.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Ugh, Clinton just introduced Emily to the worst thing that ever happened to the Mega Man franchise.

"Hey fellow Capcom employees, we're renowned for making some of the most awesome videogame music ever, so how about in all our future Mega Man games we give Mega Man an ability that the players would be foolish not to use, and also make it give off a constant high-pitched WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE sound to drown out the kickin' midi tunes?"

What I hated about charged shots is it made the pea shooter good. The pea shooter's not supposed to be good. When it's good it hurts mega mans entire gimmick, stealing powers from bosses.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Clinton very effectively demonstrates the Nerd Snipe (the Unladen Swallow variant). :D

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Could it be that the only console Emily ever know was the SNES? (and the few games she have).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Emily's mind = blown

It has been for a long time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She bumps into Sven who is still reading the same book and drops it again. She reads the whole thing that night and changes her major to history the next day.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

maxh

• Larger than most fish

Because she's Emily. No further explanation should be needed.
GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7  D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Quote from: The Poll
Poll:
So, just what exactly *did* happen to Mieville?

That moth he ate was full of dreamshit so he morphed into a sabre toothed tiger and is currently terrorizing Hubbardston.     - 8 (12.7%)
Learned how to travel through time/dimensions and was used as a bridge between Heinlein's later novels and Dr Who       - 16 (25.4%)
Scratched the curtains, got turned in to the humane society, and has been readopted by a area family of cartoonists    - 6 (9.5%)
Went to VEGAS, BABY!    - 20 (31.7%)
Got kidnapped by Station as a way to coerce Hanners to come up to visit more often.    - 9 (14.3%)
Other?    - 4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Huh? Are libraries particularly cold in America or something? What? :psyduck:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Where'd Emily's clipboard go?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship

The current storylines take place in summer. They're summer interns, after all.
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

westrim

I'd really love to see some development of Emily's character but I'm not sure a relationship would work. I do really miss Sven and although I don't think Emily is right for him that's mostly because Emily doesn't have much depth of character. She's just zany and off-beat and when I compare her to Hannelore or Marigold who have wackier moments she seems so shallow. She behaves as if she's younger than Sam (who is a hundred kinds of awesome) so a relationship arc feels a little creepy.

I'm not giving up on Emily, I'm just hanging in here trying to be patient while Jeph does his thing. And secretly hoping for more Sven :)
Precisely why she needs Character Developmenttm, and who better to help her than a guy that's gotten much more grounded lately himself!

Large buildings, be they offices or public or factories, have a tendency to be cold, often around 65-70 degrees F (18-21 C). The possible reasons range from disdain for sweatiness to over-insulated obese people to master temp being controlled by morons (many buildings have only one control for temperature and some dummy thermostats scattered about) to leaky modern construction. It's kind of maddening to me where I work since it hovers on the cusp of jacket/no jacket.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

When I went on my tour of the Western US, I found that the hotter the weather, the more clothes I needed to carry around to put on indoors to avoid getting a chill!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

In America we are all about wasting energy, and one of the classic ways to to it is to run the air conditioning too high in public buildings.

Anyway I think of tank top and shorts as something you don't even begin to consider until 25 Celsius, and that's with a male BMR.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

My cold tolerance tends to be pretty good, and my heat tolerance pretty poor.

As in, I like to do serious exertion in the 50-60 F range, and I wear a moderately light jacket (one that's thin enough to wear even when it's 70 F out, if it's raining) even when it's below 0 F.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

50-60 is very hot for any serious physical exertion.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Well, when I'm doing exertion, I usually end up getting sweaty no matter what, and I want nothing covering my head, but my ears will get cold very easily (especially if I'm cycling). The rest of my body is usually fine down to about 30 F (although if it's significantly below freezing, I'll get lung pain).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up