THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 01:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which QC character, besides Clinton or Claire, would you most like to have as a sibling?

Dora
- 4 (5.4%)
Sven
- 1 (1.4%)
Faye
- 4 (5.4%)
Tai
- 3 (4.1%)
Marigold
- 12 (16.2%)
Hanners
- 10 (13.5%)
Mieville
- 1 (1.4%)
Raven
- 3 (4.1%)
Veronica
- 1 (1.4%)
Jimbo
- 1 (1.4%)
Jim
- 0 (0%)
Padma
- 0 (0%)
Princess (Sven's cat)
- 1 (1.4%)
Pintsize
- 0 (0%)
Yelling Bird
- 1 (1.4%)
Shame Orb
- 1 (1.4%)
Harriet
- 3 (4.1%)
Turkeys (male)
- 1 (1.4%)
Turkeys (female)
- 0 (0%)
Other (specify)
- 2 (2.7%)
OK, Fine, Claire
- 3 (4.1%)
Oops, forgot Marten
- 5 (6.8%)
And Momo
- 11 (14.9%)
Let alone Emily!
- 6 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2425-2429 (15-19 April, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 79791 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That was his original hand.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

She also seems to be missing the strand of hair that always frames her face.

I sure hope not. I've tried to pull off that "Ponytail + asymmetrical side" thing a few times since then, but I think my hair is a bit flimsy and straight to stay like that on it's own. Ends up more like a regular side of hair after a while than a single bundle.

Also it's so darn windy these days that it more or less constantly ends up on my shoulder anyway. *Grumble*

Well, in the hand's defense, it does have other modes:roll:

I can't imagine it's particularly good for that, given that he doesn't use the protective covering and it seizes up completely due to water.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 08:25 by Valdís »
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Produce, definitely.  Deli items - by which I'm figuring, meats and cheeses - don't have the right form factor or, most critically, the crispness or resistance to offer a satisfying 'snap'; compare, e.g., broccoli.

What?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Go to the right deli and they might let you have a turkey neck.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Somehow I'm reminded of this scene....

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A TURKEY NECK GAP!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Robotic hand, turkey neck, and nuclear weapons?

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

At some point presumably someone is going to let things slip such that a third party knows about both sides, and then has angst over whether to mention it to either or both of them.

Seeing how protective Clinton is, I don't think he will talk to anyone about this ever.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Oh gosh. *Sings along* :-D

Seeing how protective Clinton is, I don't think he will talk to anyone about this ever.

Yeah, Clinton is a Víðarr-tier sibling. <3

(Y'know, like "God-tier", but with the God of Silence and righteous Vengeance, to be relied on in times of difficulty~ )
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:05 by Valdís »

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

At some point presumably someone is going to let things slip such that a third party knows about both sides, and then has angst over whether to mention it to either or both of them.

It's more that we now know that Claire remembers it, so she may discuss it with someone else.  Prior to this, there was the risk that she may have thought it was just a dream, or simply didn't recall any of it due to half asleep dopeyness.  Of course, we've little evidence of her confiding in any else, aside from Marten, who wouldn't be much use as a confidant in this context. :-D
Actually, it is rocket science.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

So, Lazarus Long now has another Cat on Tellus Tertius.

They're calling it Tellus Tardis now.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I almost wonder if this is setting up a conversation between Clinton and Claire, about any potential feelings that Claire has for Marten.

We already know that Clinton dislikes Marten, despite him being perfectly nice to Claire.

Much comedy could result from Clinton trying to talk Claire out of it. (Even if she's not actually into him at all.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Do all cyber-hands come with a murder-mode? Clinton doesn't seem the assassin type, so... it's a standard feature?

There have already been an alarming number of cases of military robotic equipment showing up in the civilian market. Maybe this is just another one.

(Yes, I know there's only been one case. One is an alarming number when the case is Pintsize.)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Drostan

• Not quite a lurker

I almost wonder if this is setting up a conversation between Clinton and Claire, about any potential feelings that Claire has for Marten.

We already know that Clinton dislikes Marten, despite him being perfectly nice to Claire.

Much comedy could result from Clinton trying to talk Claire out of it. (Even if she's not actually into him at all.)

I don't exactly think Clinton dislikes Marten, as much as he is over-protective of Claire, and doesn't want to see her hurt, considering Marten's one of the only people that knows she's trans

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Welcome, new person! Also yeah, I agree. Clinton has said Marten's alright with him. Even if he was in a mood when saying so. :)

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text

Do all cyber-hands come with a murder-mode? Clinton doesn't seem the assassin type, so... it's a standard feature?

There have already been an alarming number of cases of military robotic equipment showing up in the civilian market. Maybe this is just another one.

(Yes, I know there's only been one case. One is an alarming number when the case is Pintsize.)

Wasn't the Vespa Avenger's Vespa a combat robot?

Signature

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

No, that was an ordinary Vespa. Even the current models have these features.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Annnnnnnnd we're back to the drama! It's like jumping from the sauna of comedy into the icy lake of "feelings n' stuff"
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Wasn't there a DEATHBOT something, that Pintsize annoyed on a forum? I can't for the love of god remember his name and when it happened, but it must have been pre 1000s.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 13:23 by Masterpiece »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

DEATHBOT 9000 RUNS ON OPENSOURCE SOFTWARE! DEATHBOT 9000 IS ROUTINELY MODERATED +5 ON SLASHDOT!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

Deathbot 9000 has no concept of an indoor voice!

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=642

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Clinton likes Marten well enough, I think. But he's also in hyperprotective mode and views anyone who could hurt Claire with suspicion.

The interesting part will come when/if Claire gets hurt during the course of a standard interaction (i.e. a "normal breakup") and Clinton has to react to that. I think it'll be hard for Clinton to separate out a normal breakup from "you broke up with her because she's trans" which could result in much comic drama and poignancy should Jeph decide to Go There (with Marten or with any potential suitor)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Annnnnnnnd we're back to the drama! It's like jumping from the sauna of comedy into the icy lake of "feelings n' stuff"

In this day and age it's called "feels".
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"feels"
Ugh. I can't explain it, but that usage just bugs the shit out of me.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HeavyP

• Woo!

Understandable.  My coworkers have, unfortunately, figured out that usage of the word "Cray" makes me homicidal and take the opportunity to insert it in conversation at ever opportunity.  Someone is taking a stapler to the face soon.  : /

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Cray" is acceptable in one song and one song only. (Also I should point out that even in that song where I'm pretty sure it originated, Kanye often, but not always, actually says "crazy" but just emphasizes the first syllable).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So a particular manufacturerr of supercomputers is not the best thing to mention in your presence?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Not since Dell bought them.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Eh...I don't know what you mean. When did Dell buy Cray?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'm trying to figure out who Dell bought that was in supercomputing.

(Seriously, Dell buys a lot of stuff, and I don't pay attention to all those e-mails.)

(Disclosure: Dell is my employer. Or, as they recommend, #iwork4dell.)

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

The only thing I'll never forget about Crays is that at least some of their compilers had sizeof(char) == 32.  And if I recall correctly, that was the byte size (size of the smallest addressable memory unit) as well ...

... UTF-32 ready? :)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Why have just one byte size?  The EELM KDF-9 had a 48-bit word which was divided into eight 6-bit bytes for characters and six 8-bit bytes for instructions!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

a year or two ago, I would not have understood what you just said.
YAY MY TUITION FEES ARE NOT A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Eh...I don't know what you mean. When did Dell buy Cray?
Apparently they just partnered up for something and Dell sold some Cray hardware through their site. I guess I just assumed it was an acquisition, especially since Dell bought Alienware. Also can someone translate the previous 3 posts for me?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HappyHavoc

• Please forgive my dyslexia

Yes I think it is.
Live Love and Headbang!!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And then you get things like HP calculators.

Let's see... the 41C and 1xC families had the most advanced variant of the original processor design... 56-bit registers, 16-bit addressing, 10-bit instruction words (although, before the Saturn processor used in the graphers among other things, HP calculators were Harvard architecture - Saturn switched to a von Neumann architecture), supporting 8-bit chars for some ASCII work, optimized for 4-bit nibbles of BCD data, but being a bit-serial processor inherently. (And, the original implementation, in the HP-35/45/55/65 and 70/80 was 56-bit registers, 8-bit addressing, 10-bit instruction words, no 8-bit support, 4-bit BCD optimization, and bit-serial inherently.)

In any case, the bitness refers to how many bits make up the inherent smallest unit that the computer understands. That said, a 32-bit word that is the smallest addressable unit isn't horribly weird - I mean, most modern processors are doing 32 or more bit loads anyway, and you just do operations on that 32 or more bit register to get the 8 you want. A byte is normally 8 bits. Different word sizes depending on instructions or data is much weirder, especially if it's a von Neumann architecture machine.

Guess I need to explain Harvard vs. von Neumann architecture. Harvard architecture, the machine has two completely different pathways for programs and data. This isn't really used much nowadays at a whole system level, but elements of it are used here and there. von Neumann architecture, you have a bunch of memory, and programs and data can be anywhere in it.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 15:09 by bhtooefr »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

and your overall performance is really dependent on the pathways that connect memory and processors (the Neumann bottleneck)... ah yes, some bits stuck

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

But he's also in hyperprotective mode and views anyone who could hurt Claire with suspicion.
Decent brothers tend to be protective anyway, and pissing off one possessed by in possession of a murder-hand could be unwise.

Murder-hands should wear tight black leather gloves. As ZoeB points out, it is traditional.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

But he's also in hyperprotective mode and views anyone who could hurt Claire with suspicion.
Decent brothers tend to be protective anyway, and pissing off one possessed by in possession of a murder-hand could be unwise.

Murder-hands should wear tight black leather gloves. As ZoeB points out, it is traditional.

All brothers posses murderhands at the right level of anger, Clinton's just happens to be made of metal.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

All brothers posses murderhands at the right level of anger, Clinton's just happens to be made of metal.

100% true. The older of my two little sisters (the one who's going furry on me) is at a point in her life where guys are starting to notice her, even though she's not there yet.
I've had to stay my murderhand once or twice.
Guys can be assholes.

Bedrock

• Not quite a lurker

Agreed!
- Rick

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It works with uncles too. My niece has been having some relationship issues recently, and I keep having to remind myself that A. she's a big girl and B. her jackass of a husband is in U.S. Army Special Forces and could easily kick my ass.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I always thought that it was best to let your sister do whatever she wants to do. My sisters are both very confident and powerful women and have never seen the need to ask me for my help. Sure, I'll be the last to look away if someone hurts them, but unless they specifically ask for my intervention, I will not get involved in my sisters matters, because they live their lives and I live my own, and they are not interfering in mine either, unless I ask them.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

That's true (to an extent) of they're all grown up. But when your kid sister is, well, just a kid, yeah, you'll be overprotective.

Also, the phrase "the only one who can make her life hell is me" is not that rare :P

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

Finally, a use for all that beef trachea I bought at the county fair...
Worry Hat, Engage!

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

I don't know if it's possible Jeph was going for this, but just speaking from experience, my own family has pretty much accepted me as a woman, but get squeamish/freaked out/pissed off at the mention of me dating. Like it's less real if I'm not getting laid or something. I wonder if that has anything to do with Clinton getting so angry and Claire being so uncharacteristically meek about it.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

I don't think so. I take it as Clinton feels...responsible for Claire? He doesn't wanna see something bad happens to her, so he's always in "Alert Mode", just in case. It's not about the dating thing, but the possibilty of someone that know her condition and treat her in the wrong way for it.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

My hand is stuck in Murder mode.

"Whoa, thats a good song title" - Nathan Explosion

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I agree that Claire seems confused and embarrassed about what happened, not sad or upset. I think the embarrassment is probably because she's not into Marten, and so she hopes he doesn't know about it because otherwise he might think she is.

I would like to believe that somewhere in the application process for cybernetic enhancements, is a check-box for whether the individual has a sister or daughter.  And that murder-mode is standard if they check yes.

Wouldn't that be pretty dangerous for the sister or daughter? I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid, there were many more times when I felt like murdering my sister than protecting her...  :-P

We're talking about robots in the QC universe. Are you actually surprised? :P

Edit: I should probably clarify before I get accused of speciesism... a lot (most?) of the robots portrayed in QC have been at the very least dangerously mischievous - Pintsize has been portrayed as normal for an AnthroPC.

Waitwait WHAT??  :-o Pintsize has never been considered "normal." Remember when Marten told the story of how he met Pintsize originally? As soon as the test indicated which AnthroPC was supposedly the most compatible, the salesclerk blanched and said something like "THAT one? Are you SURE??" and then started nerviously talking to Marten about insurance coverage and how her company was not responsible for property damage. If that's how she reacts to a supposedly "normal" AnthroPC, I'll eat my shorts. Momo and Winslow are much more typical AnthroPCs.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Remember that early in QC Pintsize's parties were depicted, and all the anthroPCs present were models like him.  It was a while before Jeph started widening the concept.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up