THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 23:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 42645 times)

ackblom12

Board Games
« on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:04 »

Alright, there's got to be other people around here who love board games to an unnatural degree. A good board game night is probably the best kind of kind of social events I can possibly imagine. Each session creates it's own stories and rivalries which can last over multiple games. There's a hell of a lot of variety and there are a lot of examples of cross pollination with video game design, especially if you go into some of the better, older board games.

Stories like this one are some of my favorites.

If you are familiar with this side of the gaming hobby, you may have noticed a trend in the last few years, which is that board game design has been improving at an absolutely ridiculous pace in the last 10 years. This video goes into the why of this, focusing a lot on Western and European board game design finally creating a wonderful hybrid of game design.

Why We're in a Goden Age of Board Gaming

The speaker, Quinn, also has a video review series for board games called Shut Up & Sit Down, which is massively entertaining.

I doubt there is anywhere near enough people who read this section of the board to make individual threads for games, but I'd be really happy to use this thread to actually talk Board Games. It's something I don't get to do often enough. I also don't get to play them very often either mind you, what with the whole requirement of having local friends, but yammering on about it is almost as good.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 07:39 by ackblom12 »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: Board Games
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:12 »

I'd like to get to play more board games, but I don't know many people around here who are interested. Back in college, we played a lot of Settlers of Catan, Axis and Allies, and Risk. We also had a copy of Scrabble, but it was forbidden after the Proper Noun War of 2005...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:14 »

Oh I thought you meant board games a la Settlers of Catan.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:18 »

Settlers is included in what I'm talking about! It's likely one of the bigger reasons why Euro style board games made it across the pond to the US in the first place.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:20 »

I love Settlers yet none of my friends do, because, they claim, "you're a cheater".

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:26 »

Settlers is great fun, though after so many times playing it over the years I need to space out my nights playing with it.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:55 »

While I have played far too few board games, there are some definite favourites that stand out amongst the ones I have tried.

A Game of Thrones is absolutely fabulous, with an order and resource management system that takes something that looks like Risk* and turns it into an actually engaging game.

Arkham Horrors is played cooperatively against the board, and is pretty damn difficult. You have to cooperate and think to respond to random events, and winning feels really great - especially as you win together. Winning is not a given, though. In my experience (and depending on expansion packs), I think we've won about half the games we played.

I just played Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. While I haven't really played it that much, what I played was stupidly fun. It's main, interesting feature is varied victory conditions - what you do to win is up to a card draw at the start of the game, and the conditions are very different. You also do not know what the other players needs to do to win. Really fun.

It is really a card game, but I think that if you are into board games, chances are you are into Dominion. It is much faster than any other of the games, but it is that kind of easy to learn, hard to master thing that makes it really compelling to play more.

If anyone is interested in discussing the pros and cons of any of these, please pick up the thread.

* Risk is so bad! Why is it popular? It is SO BAD! It takes for fucking ever, is super duper boring, and is won by dice toss alone. Fuck Risk.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:25 »

Oh yeah, card games are absolutely up for this. They've progressed into a sub genre of board games as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think Risk is a terrible game necessarily, or at least not for someone who isn't really into board games. It does teach a lot of skills necessary for much much better strategy games though, like risk management in the face of an RNG and how you should never have a land war in Russia. There are also a lot of really really great reskins of Risk that improve on the base game by adding a hell of a lot more tactical options on top of the dice rolling, like Risk 2210AD and Risk Godstorm which are genuinely good games. I've heard Risk Legacy is great, but I have little to no interest in checking it out. I mean, there's not a whole lot of reason to ever break out the base game since so many better games, that are just as accessible, have been made in the genre.

At least it's not Monopoly. :P

I've heard a hell of a lot of good about Game of Thrones and I'm hoping to join in on the backstabbing sometime.

Dominion is a weird one for me. I like it, but it's not a game I ever volunteer for play. I like my games to have a lot more interaction with other players, whether that's through co-op, backstabbing or trade, and Dominion is essentially MP Solitaire. I can absolutely understand the love for it, but it's kind of a middle of the road game for me.

I love the shit out of Arkham Horror, but dear lord is it a fickle fickle game. Which is pretty fitting for a Lovecraft game. My favorite expansion is probably The Dunwich Horror. Adds just enough to not be overwhelming, and is just as fucking lethal and horrifying as the base game. So very many ways to die.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:41 »

As ackblom12 mentioned, there are several variants of Risk that have rules that add more strategy to the game. Personally I think Castle Risk is underrated (though I'm not sure if they even sell it anymore; of what I understand it never really sold well). As for when we played Risk, we usually played it with a bunch of house rules to make the game a bit less boring. One was a 12-army per tile limit, which disrupts the pattern that the game tends to fall into where two players just keep conquering each other's territory over and over without finishing the job.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:41 »

Ack, about the dunwich horror, is that the one where you can sell your soul? I can't really remember which expansion is which.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:55 »

Why We're in a Goden Age of Board Gaming

It is really, really weird to hear someone refer to stuff "coming to the west" when he's talking about importing things from Germany to the US. When did "the west" stop involving western Europe? Great talk, though.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:07 »

I'm actually not sure. He may have adopted it to avoid using the term Ameritrash, which refers to the more thematic style that American board gaming is famous for. It's a common term, but a lot of folks are not real fond of it for obvious reasons.

I don't think Dunwich had a soul selling mechanic, but it it's one of the expansions that has a small board expansion and transit between the two towns.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:37 »

I only have on copy of a "board game" right now, one of the greatest iterations of the greatest card games known to man. Star Munchkin.

I really need to grab a copy of Cards Against Humanity though. With my friends games of that would be fething amazing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:48 »

Cards Against Humanity manages to be both the best and worst card game known to man. With the wrong group it ends up being nothing but a string of rape jokes and a load of Big Black Dick jokes. With the right group you end up with a haiku about babies and land mines.

I'm still pretty proud of that one.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2013, 16:57 »

At least it's not Monopoly. :P

But, but, I LOVE monopoly :(

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:05 »

That's fine, lots of people do and there's nothing wrong with liking it, but it's a terribly designed game. Which to be fair to it, may have been the point.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:09 »

I would greatly like to hear this haiku about infants and land mines, That's my sense of humor summed up in a sentence.

Monopoly is another game that requires the right group. Cause it's basically required by the game that you be a complete ass.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2013, 17:16 »

I don't remember it entirely unfortunately, I was rather drunk at the time. And to be frank, all of my favorite board games involve the opportunity for at least one person to be a massive dick.

Battlestar Galactica for example, is a fantastic game to ruin friendships.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 18:11 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:32 »

What's so problematic about monopoly is that in the vast majority of turns, you do not have a choice of what to do. It's roll, land somewhere, buy it if you can, pay if you must, move on. Since there is no decisions to be made, there is not really that much to talk about while playing, there's few deals, etc. The auction mechanic can make the game a bit more interesting, as it's something all the players are engaged in, and it presents real choice. I think it should be a core feature, not something that happens only when a player loses or passes a buy.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2013, 07:25 »

Ackblom, I've been wanting to create this thread for like a month, but have either been too lazy or too busy to bother, so thank you for encouraging my procrastination! No seriously... thanks. I love talking about this stuff.

Some thoughts on things mentioned...

Settlers of Catan: One of my least proud gaming memories is of my high school research class where there'd be days it pretty much turned into a free period for one reason or another. A small group of guys were playing Settlers and all I could think was "I'm not a hardcore enough nerd to play whatever the hell that is." Because of this I didn't jump on the Euro board game wagon until Dominion. Though I did like board games prior to then... just Clue, Scrabble, et al. And only when I could actually get others to play with me...

I did get Settlers eventually, as a Christmas present from my SO. Fun game that I need to play more (I say this about 90% of my games), but probably won't ever fit my top 5 (then again, not sure what would).

Discworld: Thank you snalin for reminding me this exists. I need to read more of the series
Dominion: I have no issues with the MP solitaire aspect since it's fun just trying to get your deck into a victory-point making engine, though I totally understand how it may drive others away a little. I think the expansions help remedy that by offering a greater variety of attack cards, Intrigue in particular. Masquerade + anything that produces curses has always been a favorite combination.

Monopoly:

The auction mechanic can make the game a bit more interesting, as it's something all the players are engaged in, and it presents real choice. I think it should be a core feature, not something that happens only when a player loses or passes a buy.

The funny thing is... I hear the auctioning is one of the most commonly forgotten rules. Also what you're suggesting would probably bring Monopoly closer to being Powergrid... which certainly sounds like an improvement.

I'll have to share my thoughts on CAH and Battlestar Galactica later. Two games I also really enjoy, though for certainly different reasons.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2013, 13:43 »

I love board games but my sister and her husband are so damn good at it that I frequently wonder why I bother playing against them. My dad is so bad at it that we once advised him on every turn and he ended up winning. It was hilarious.

I fucking love Risk. My dad and I were showing my best friend how to play it, we said to teach him the rules we'd do 3 rounds and then start over.

I won in 3 rounds.

My buddies went through a major monopoly phase at uni. We played it several times a week for a few months. It was wonderful.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2013, 14:18 »

The only Risk I ever played was some... poorly made Game Boy (Color? Advance?) game that I don't think did it right. Most people tell me don't bother with actual, regular Risk... they're people whose opinions I trust, but at the same time I feel like it's something I should try for myself so I have my own take on it.

I do want to get a copy of Risk Legacy and get some friends to play weekly since it sounds like a fun little journey. Though the thought of tearing up some of the components or writing on the board is enough to make me want to curl into a ball and cry. I guess I could toughen up if it's an actual game requirement though....

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2013, 16:06 »

I play weiqi (AKA Go, Igo, Baduk). I have played a few other board games, but none has exerted any long-term attraction. The game's history, simplicity, enormous depth, and sheer spare elegance draw me back to the board again and again.

I don't understand the appeal of Monopoly at all; I find it very very boring. Probably you need the right group.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2013, 17:11 »

I've played some rounds of Hnefatafl, the old, nordic board game. It's pretty cool - it's asymmetric, and kinda balanced towards one of the players, so you have to figure out a way to work around that (usually by counting number of rounds to win).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2013, 00:20 »

I've barely played any board games since my mid-teens, when I played Halma for a time.  Since then I've just played Monopoly a couple of times, which just seemed to be a generator for bad feelings, and Campaign, which did the same.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:37 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:06 »

I recently went on a study trip* where we played a lot of board games at the lodge, although very few of them were of the 'hardcore nerd' variety. I brought my own fancy Mah Jong set, and a girl who plays it with her family a lot taught me how to play. We also played Magical Labyrinth board game - I have no idea what it's called in English - a game about moles, and Saboteur.

I'd still like to get involved in the kind of boardgames Rab Florence talks about, but even if I owned them I think I'd have trouble finding people to play it with.

*It was more of a long weekend holiday organised by the student committee, no actual studying was done
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:51 »

The big thing about getting people to play some of the various types of board games is to ease them into it. Settlers of Catan has been a great gateway game for almost 20 years now and some folks think Carcassone is better for a gateway. I disagree simply because Carcassone has an incredibly irritating amount of scoring at the end of the game, but it's a bit less competitive so they may have a point. You can't get 'Wood for Sheep' though, so Settlers wins by default. But either way, they are both good introductions due to how they introduce a small number of mechanics in a fairly simple manner. Settlers by introducing city building, trade and expansion, while Carcassone introduces the Worker Placement genre quite well.

Once you've introduced someone to one or two accessible games, you can start expanding from there.

Edit:
I play weiqi (AKA Go, Igo, Baduk). I have played a few other board games, but none has exerted any long-term attraction. The game's history, simplicity, enormous depth, and sheer spare elegance draw me back to the board again and again.

It's been around for as long as it has for very good reason.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013, 12:13 by ackblom12 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2013, 23:47 »

Go kills me, it is a brutal game intellectually speaking, and requires a fair amount of study and effort just to be mediocre from what I understand... kinda reminds me of golf, but actually enjoyable.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:58 »

Nor does Go require that you wear ridiculous clothing.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:10 »

Yes that is true, not dressing like a clown who belongs to a country club is a significant bonus. Speaking of country clubs golf also costs a whole HELL of a lot less then golf. I worked as a security officer at a country club last year, good fucking GODDESS, it cost something along the lines of my yearly INCOME to be a member...

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:44 »

Go kills me, it is a brutal game intellectually speaking, and requires a fair amount of study and effort just to be mediocre from what I understand... kinda reminds me of golf, but actually enjoyable.

That's what kills Go for me. I currently don't have the patience for that sort of thing, so I've only got like half a game under my belt. But I definitely want to learn it to at least a mediocre level. I mean, it has a freakin' anime all about it! It has to be good! Perhaps there's some sort of online version against an AI that I can pick up and put down as needed until I have the patience to play real people....

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2013, 07:34 »

I remember Akima saying there was some around, but I can't remember where she said it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2013, 07:44 »

Golf is ridiculous in every way, but you can spend silly money if you insist on the finest quality Japanese Go equipment. A flawless matsume kaya-wood floor goban will cost anything up to $60,000, the finest slate (black) and shell (white) stones up to $2,000, and Mikura mulberry bowls to hold the stones about $2,000. Why so expensive? Strong demand, and limited scope to increase supply. Kaya trees take 600+ years to grow, and are now rare and tightly regulated owing to over-cutting in the past. Even once you have the wood, it has to be seasoned for years before use. The Japanese clams from whose shells the white stones are cut, are close to fished-out, and the clams of Baja Mexico, which are imported as a substitute, are heading in the same direction. Cutting and polishing the stones is a slow, labour-intensive process, and only about 10% of the total production of shell stones are of the highest "snow" quality. Mikura island, from which the finest mulberry wood for bowls is considered to come, was badly affected by a nearby volcanic eruption, and the wood is now very hard to come by.

We Chinese are more pragmatic. We tend to play on much thinner table boards, often made of woods that the Japanese regard as very down-market. Our finest stones, the famous Yunzi (云子 pronounced roughly ooin-tzuh; never ever yun-zee), are manufactured, using a process somewhat like glass-making, by casting molten material on an iron plate (this is why Chinese stones are traditionally flat on the underside rather than bi-convex like the meticulously ground and polished Japanese ones). Traditionally we store our stones in small straw baskets instead of beautiful wooden bowls. As China gets richer, however, fancier equipment is becoming more popular.

You can buy Go equipment of many different quality levels, and you can get something nice for not much money. Just stay away from the nasty, much-too-small folding boards they sell in a lot of high-street and shopping-mall game shops, and don't expect spending more to make you a stronger player. Only hard work can do that. If you want to spend money, spend it on books...

Perhaps there's some sort of online version against an AI that I can pick up and put down as needed until I have the patience to play real people....

There are several well-established "environments" of clients and servers where you can play Go. English-speakers tend to favour KGS which is a "closed" proprietary set-up, but it is free, and easy to install and get on-line. IGS/Pandanet is another system, which is "open" in the sense that you can obtain many different clients that conform to the IGS protocols, and many Go-playing programs incorporate a built-in client. IGS is a little less friendly to people who only read and write English. Finally there is Tygem, which I don't really recommend unless you are competent in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. If you prefer to play in a slower-paced "correspondence Go by e-mail" style, there is Dragon Go Server, which has a web interface.

All these servers offer AI "bots" for you to play against. Computer opponents can provide good practice for beginners, but don't rely on them entirely, because they will teach you bad habits. You can find yourself winning by "gaming" the AI's quirks rather than developing real strength. Many Go servers have "Beginner's rooms" where you can find fellow noobs, and, I will admit, the occasional sandbagging douche-bag who gets off on beating up weaker players. Sadly, the internet is always the internet.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2013, 13:22 »

As all the mentioned games have been strategy types, I guess I forgot to think of Scrabble - which I do play from time to time without getting riled up the way the other games make me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:04 »

Many Go servers have "Beginner's rooms" where you can find fellow noobs, and, I will admit, the occasional sandbagging douche-bag who gets off on beating up weaker players. Sadly, the internet is always the internet.

Now I'm imagining somebody doing the same kind of smack talk in a goo game as you get out of online shooters and such:

"Fuck you, you fucking faggot noob, if you place that stone I'm going to kill you, you fuck"

I'm apparently playing another Magic: the Gathering draft. I think I said something about the game somewhere, but since this is a relevant thread, I'll repeat it. My feelings are that the draft format* is very volatile - if somebody is lucky enough to get some really good cards, they might simply win on that basis alone. The constructed format seems like somebody who just spends a bunch of money on online auctions will have cards that are simply better than yours. To the ones of you that have played a bunch of MtG, is these observations true? Is there anything you can do to make the game not strongly balanced towards luck and money without sacrificing all of the interesting cards available?

*in a draft, you open fresh packs of cards and pass them around, picking one card at a time. In a constructed format, you bring a deck you made beforehand. There's a ton of limitations available for the second format.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:38 »

I imagined the same thing, snalin! XD

Thank you, Akima for the information! I'll definitely be bookmarking this for later use. I mostly would want to start with bots simply to make sure I have a pretty solid grasp on the rules and then work on the actual strategy with other players. Bots can definitely teach you some bad habits without you noticing.  Fighting games have taught me that the hard way, so I don't trust them too much for actual complete training in anything else.  :roll:

Also, I'm frustrated at the fact that the Alhambra Big Box edition is out of print since I want to get it for my fellow board game hobbyist for his birthday. A source at the publisher says it should be out by the end of the month, but the fact that I still don't see it out there makes me worried they're a liar...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:46 »

I discovered these sites earlier today.

http://www.playcatan.com/
http://en.boardgamearena.com/

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 21 Apr 2013, 09:55 »

GaWF so far the only issue I've found to deal with power gamers in any situation is to just not play games with douche bags.

ackblom12

« Reply #39 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:34 »

I'm apparently playing another Magic: the Gathering draft. I think I said something about the game somewhere, but since this is a relevant thread, I'll repeat it. My feelings are that the draft format* is very volatile - if somebody is lucky enough to get some really good cards, they might simply win on that basis alone. The constructed format seems like somebody who just spends a bunch of money on online auctions will have cards that are simply better than yours. To the ones of you that have played a bunch of MtG, is these observations true? Is there anything you can do to make the game not strongly balanced towards luck and money without sacrificing all of the interesting cards available?

*in a draft, you open fresh packs of cards and pass them around, picking one card at a time. In a constructed format, you bring a deck you made beforehand. There's a ton of limitations available for the second format.

Drafts are a format I love largely because it's actually incredibly difficult for anyone to get any kind of impressive deck. About the only way someone can get something great is if their first pack has something they want to build around and most of their following draws are even playable with it. It is rather volatile, but it's volatile in a way that does more to reward someone who knows how to make something cohesive out of a total mess than someone who gets lucky on a pack draw.

On the other hand, my absolute favorite way to play is with a group doing Limited Construction. Everyone is only allowed to purchase the same number of packs from the same sets and you are allowed to trade within the group. It allows for rivalries and there to be a couple of decks that everyone is trying to stop which keeps the decks fluid and fresg. It's also a much more controlled environment for anyone who is not doing the best financially since things can be toned back if anyone is having problems keeping up.

You are absolutely correct that MtG in any kind of tournament environment largely depends on money spent though. It's part of why I love the Duels of the Planeswalkers games so much. Fairly balanced decks in a rather limited environment makes for a much more interesting (and cheaper) option than one in which netdecking has taken over.

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2013, 12:34 »

Also, I'd like to share a couple of reviews from Shut Up & Sit Down.

Galaxy Trucker - This is one of my favorite reviews of theirs. It's a game I've been wanting to try out for a long while anyways, and their review makes it look just as much fun as I've heard.

Archipelago - This is a game I've been eyeing as well, but the reason I enjoy this review so much is it's a good example of why I like these guys so much. It's a game of European colonization that they enjoy while fully acknowledging the problems with the game's themes, especially the way in which these kinds of games regularly wash over the rather horrible reality of it all.

http://vimeo.com/64343798

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:12 »

Ah, Board Games.
I always liked board games and last year we set up a weekly board game day with some friends. So now I get to play some really awesome board games every sunday and we are always having a great time.
Games I can really recommend are Descent, Mage Knight, Akrham Horror, Game of Thrones and of course Munchkin, which is probably the most hilarious game ever designed.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2013, 17:10 »

Now I'm imagining somebody doing the same kind of smack talk in a go game as you get out of online shooters and such:
You think you're kidding, don't you?

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2013, 04:55 »

I accidentally ran into some friends while having lunch and found out one of them was moving away this Tuesday.  :-( They invited me and the bf to join their group for the day. We played Cuthroat Caverns, Smash Up, and Cosmic Encounter.

The first was fairly entertaining and I like the idea of the theme. One round it would feel like we were cooperating, until the next when our characters were busy shoving each other out of the way to get the final blow.

Smash Up was pretty awesome. The different factions played differently and their playstyle definitely felt right according to the game. It was the Ninja Zombies, Alien Wizards, Robot Pirates, and Trickster Dinosaurs fighting it out. May have to pick it up for myself along with the expansion one day...

As for Cosmic Encounters, I'm not a fan, but I knew that from the one other time I played. I had more fun with it this time, so maybe with more play it would grow on me, but I feel like it's not my cup of tea overall.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #44 on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:32 »

My family refuses to play Scrabble with my brother or me because we always win. When my brother and I play the scores were 250ish. Not Scrabble expert level but enough to piss most people off.
Haven't played in a year though so would suck now though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #45 on: 28 Apr 2013, 09:38 »

We seem pretty even when it comes to Words With Friends...

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #46 on: 28 Apr 2013, 15:54 »

GODDAMNIT I had a whole writeup about a few different games and I accidentally lost it.

Ugh. I'll come back later.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #47 on: 28 Apr 2013, 16:44 »

Boardgames?
*Pulls up rocking chair*
It was back in '75 when I picked up a little game called Panzer Blitz. Perhaps not the best game for a beginner but there weren't any "Eurogames" back then. Which is just as well since I've always been a military history buff and many eurogames aren't very interesting to me. I followed Panzer Blitz up with many more Avalon Hill (Pre-Hasbro) games. Sadly many of those were lost when I found out too late that a storage unit had a leak.

I was out of gaming for a decade or so and around about when I turned 30 I got back into it. I started pulling out my old games and buying new. Fantasy Flight Games has a whole lot of my money. So does Flying Frog Games. If you're not sick of zombies yet and are looking for a game about them it's really hard to do better than their Last Night on Earth. I'm scratching my wargame itch with GMT Games. I have to give special mention to Hexasim and their Liberty Roads which is the best game about the Allied invasion of France that I've ever played.

Okay, I MAY have gotten a tad link happy but I do love me some boardgames and I've been playing them for ages. One day I hope to be able to win a few games.
Amongst my many regrets is that Ackblom and I didn't get a chance to meet up at the World Board Game championships when it was equidistant between us. 
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #48 on: 29 Apr 2013, 07:52 »

If you're not sick of zombies yet and are looking for a game about them it's really hard to do better than their Last Night on Earth.

Seriously, this.

LNoE takes the B zombie movie genre and turns it into board game form. It's beautiful and is a great example of why Flying Frog Productions is one of my favorite gaming companies. I have to cut myself off here about it because I'm at work, but expect my next post to elaborate a little bit on it and Fortune and Glory (basically you're a hero in an Indiana Jones-esque movie).   

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
« Reply #49 on: 01 May 2013, 09:33 »

I got into a game of Empires in Arms once, that was a serious time commitment. The people that hosted it had a room closed of and dedicated to the game so we did not have to try to take down and set up the board.

Signature
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up