THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 42709 times)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
Re: Board Games
« Reply #100 on: 20 Nov 2013, 08:26 »

I'd never heard of this until recently, so there are probably others that haven't either: The Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, in short, is set up to help people within the gaming community facing tragedy and financial hardship. The first post in the link I posted has links to the charity's site and provides more details. You can help by donating directly on the site or participating in the auction. In the auction, you can offer goods or services (there's a lot of good examples and interesting stuff listed) and/or bid on the items already listed. It seems like a pretty worthwhile cause.

It's ending on the 25th so if you have something you'd like to auction, I'd read the information for it and get it on there FAST. Same goes for bidding, but that's easier in my mind. You're NOT at all likely to find a good deal on anything, but if you see something you like and can afford to, definitely bid. Even if you're outbid, at least you helped drive it up!

It's too short notice for me to go through my collection and decide if I want to figure out shipping stuff (I rarely resell things), so I'm sticking to bidding on stuff and getting the word out this year.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #101 on: 23 Nov 2013, 10:10 »

Had the opportuniy to play a bit more lately. My group of the introductory week at university has a biweekly games evening. Played Munchkin for the first time e.g.. I also attended a "board game day" organised by a local board game club. There I played Alien Frontier. That was surprisingly much fun, but it seems to be impossible to buy now. Made me a bit sad.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 03 Dec 2013, 04:08 »

God damnit. I won an auction on ebay for the 3 Core rulebooks to D&D, and now that it's over I notice that they are not 3.5 but 3.0. Fuck. Paid 60€ for rules I don't need (So far I never found a single book for anything below 40€, so I thought it was a great deal). Now I know why nobody else bid. I hope I can sell those to somebody again, once they get here...

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #103 on: 03 Dec 2013, 04:48 »

The 3.5 reprints are $50 each for the Players handbook, DM guide and Monster Manual on the official shop. Plus shipping. I can find them for ~$30 USD each on ebay, used, which is not as great a reduction as you could hope for.

Or, you know, you could "look around" for pdf versions on "the internet".
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #104 on: 03 Dec 2013, 05:04 »

I already have them as pdfs, but it's kind of annoying having to look them up at a laptop all the time. And printing them out would take a metric shitton of ink and paper, which would probably be even more expensive. For now I messaged the seller and asked him if we can cancel the transaction, offering to pay for his ebay fees. We'll see what he responds.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #105 on: 03 Dec 2013, 10:29 »

Got the Legendary: A Marvel Deckbuilding game recently. I love it a lot more than I thought I would. The game is both cooperative (you have a big bad you and a scheme you need to work together to stop) and competitive (you get points and, assuming heroes win, they're used to determine the individual winner). So there's a fun balance between trying to be a glory hog and setting differences aside for the greater good. It's also got a solo mode, which I appreciate. Difficulty ranges from super easy to pretty damn hard, depending on the setup for the game -- some combinations are way harder than others. 

The villain schemes are all really interesting and change up different parts of the game, including the loss conditions for the heroes. You lose to the legacy virus if the team takes too many wounds. You lose to the Super Hero Civil War if the hero deck runs out. You lose to the Skrull Invasion if too many shapeshifting skrulls escape the city disguised as heroes.

Overall theme and strategy are there, making for a good time. My favorite game so far was fighting Loki, who was trying to release the legacy virus... for some reason... My head canon says it's some really twisted scheme that's complicated and requires the elimination of a bunch of mutants. What made it crazy was how many different enemies continued to wound us. We needed so many different things to prevent those wound that my partner and I had to throw the individual scoring out the window and work to try to get our decks as anti-wound as possible. But it wasn't enough and Loki won. It was brutal, but so awesome to see that the challenge was there (the first game setup is really easy and the solo game I played before that was super easy thanks to Black Widow being in my party).

Also... I meant to just post I got a cool game... not give a poorly written mini-review... oh well!  :roll:

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #106 on: 13 Dec 2013, 20:17 »

I already have them as pdfs, but it's kind of annoying having to look them up at a laptop all the time. And printing them out would take a metric shitton of ink and paper, which would probably be even more expensive. For now I messaged the seller and asked him if we can cancel the transaction, offering to pay for his ebay fees. We'll see what he responds.

Where do you live. I have a set of the 3.5 core books that I would mail to you if you could pay the shipping (not sure how reasonable shipping would be though). They are just collecting dust in my basement and I have no use for them.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #107 on: 13 Dec 2013, 20:19 »

Marvel Legendary is pretty awesome. Probably my favorite deckbuilder at the moment (and I love deckbuilders). The variety in setup, with the various schemes and villains and heroes and the mostly coop play is a huge plus, and I just love marvel superheroes.

I have the Dark City expansion as well, need to get the Fantastic 4 expansion at some point.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #108 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:44 »

Where do you live. I have a set of the 3.5 core books that I would mail to you if you could pay the shipping (not sure how reasonable shipping would be though). They are just collecting dust in my basement and I have no use for them.
That would be awesome! I live in Germany, last time I ordered something from the US, it was about 25 bucks or so in shipping. Plus customs duty it would probably sum up to about 40, but since that's pretty much the price I'd have to pay for a single one of the books I'll take that deal any day.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #109 on: 17 Dec 2013, 21:41 »

So I saw a kickstarter today offering all sorts of storage solutions and bits for several card/board games. Have a look here if you find yourself wishing you have better storage for some stuff (looking at you Dominion  :-().

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #110 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:39 »

I've been burned enough by KS.
Still waiting for 2 other projects to ship (originally promised in October)
And now I hear that Robotech Tactics won't ship until March 2014 at the earliest.  :(
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #111 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:44 »

I've been avoiding KS for similar reasons, but of course, someone linked to this on BGG. Apparently I should just avoid forums altogether....

Emperor Norton

« Reply #112 on: 30 Dec 2013, 17:00 »

That would be awesome! I live in Germany, last time I ordered something from the US, it was about 25 bucks or so in shipping. Plus customs duty it would probably sum up to about 40, but since that's pretty much the price I'd have to pay for a single one of the books I'll take that deal any day.

Crap, completely forgot about this (Christmas time and all that jazz was super distracting.) PM me your address so I can figure out exact shipping costs and I'll get things worked out. They should be in really good shape unless something disastrous happened in my storage room in the last month or so. I'll go ahead and dig them out.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #113 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:34 »

Don't worry about it, I forgot as well. Wrote you my address.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #114 on: 06 Jan 2014, 07:03 »

Got carcasonne big box for my birthday.  Can't wait to try it out.

I've played the game once before, at a con.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:46 »

Don't worry about it, I forgot as well. Wrote you my address.

UGH! My basement flooded a couple of days ago and some of my collection got trashed. Fortunately nothing that I actually use (I have those on my bookshelves upstairs) but my 3.5 core books were in the waterlogged grouping. Sorry about that ;_;.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2014, 15:47 »

That is unfortunate.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #117 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:47 »

Someone on BGG does a weekly Marvel Legendary challenge thread that has some fun scenarios (the community there in general is pretty awesome when it comes to custom content and ideas for variants). Boyfriend and I are playing through them and having a blast... at least we were until #$*(%*$ Apocalypse showed up in week 3 trying to fulfill X-cutioner's song!  :x We had decided we wouldn't move along until we won each scenario, but holy crap, this feels impossible. The worst was last night when Death showed up in the sewers, kidnapped a Nightcrawler, gave us a scheme twist to KO the Nightcrawler, and then got a new Nightcrawler! This happened three times in a row in the beginning.... Got to love it when a game manages to troll the crap out of you....

Anyway, I totally recommend it if you have Legendary and Dark City (Fantastic 4 gets added later). I'm also pretty pumped for the Spider-Man expansion (mostly for Spider-Woman, Moon Knight, and Mysterio and the sinister six as a Mastermind/villain group combo).

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #118 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:32 »

So, my friends and I have a game night on saturdays - where we deliberately stay away from video games - and play board games, or cards against humanity.  I've been looking at adding another game to our rotation, and I wanted to know if anyone here had heard of it/had opinions before I drop $50 on it.

The game I'm looking at is Last Night On Earth, and it's basically a zombie apocalypse board game.  Anyone know of that I'm talking about here?  Thoughts?  Opinions?

As always, I appreciate anything you guys give me.  :)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #119 on: 13 Mar 2014, 11:30 »

I absolutely LOVE Last Night on Earth (I have it and most of the expansions). With that said, it very much depends on what you and your gaming group likes.

I'll start with the cons... Fighting is based around rolling dice and both zombie and hero players are at the mercy of their respective decks to draw what they need to stop the other side from reaching their goal. So if luck being a pretty strong factor in your games is a problem, you may want to avoid. That doesn't mean skill and planning isn't rewarded or that there aren't interesting choices to be made, though. Both certainly happen, though people might disagree on whether it happens enough. I definitely think it does for what the game is trying to be.

For the pros... Flying Frog Production games are all about theme and LNoE is dripping with it. The components are also of really great quality. If you're the type that likes games that feel like they're telling a story as you play, this is a great choice. If replayability is a concern, then you should be pretty happy with the modular game board, different heroes available, and scenario choices. A few extra official scenarios are available online for free. When you get sick of all that, there's plenty of expansions that add even more of everything, including different mechanics you can mix and match. And if you really wanted to, you could create your own custom scenarios, heroes, and rules, or go to the board game geek community and look at all the stuff other people are sharing.

Also, there are actually two standalone games: Last Night on Earth and LNoE: Timber Peak. Timber Peak is an expansion that has everything you need to play it standalone. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the soundtrack (yes, FFP incorporates atmospheric music with their games). Of course, the soundtrack isn't amazing but can be fun to pop in your first plathrough at the very least. Timber Peak adds a leveling system and some other stuff (spreading fire!) that hadn't been seen yet in the series. I only played TP once, so I can't say whether to get it over the original. I think most would, though I'm concerned about the zombie side being weakened (again, may have just been that one game).

But yeah... hopefully that rant helped. I can definitely answer more about it if you're still on the fence. 

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #120 on: 13 Mar 2014, 13:09 »

Bought 7 Wonders for the family to try last week.  In one week, we've played almost 4 full games, which is a lot for us.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #121 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:19 »

Game and Watch Forever, thanks so much for the input.  I'll most likely pick it up and give it a go.  :)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #122 on: 26 May 2014, 01:37 »

Played DSA for the first time yesterday. Was REALLY WEIRD. Super complex. I'm intrigued though.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 26 May 2014, 05:45 »

DSA?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #124 on: 26 May 2014, 05:51 »

"Das Schwarze Auge". I don't know what it's called in English.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #125 on: 26 May 2014, 06:21 »

Translation is "the dark eye" which doesn't help me.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #126 on: 26 May 2014, 06:40 »

It's the biggest German Pen&Paper Roleplaying game. The rules are a bit different from DnD, but at least to me it seems very interesting. Sadly I never had the opportunity to play it. The only Pen&Paper I ever playad in Person was Midgard, the first German Pen&Paper. That was very nice.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #127 on: 26 May 2014, 09:39 »

Oh ok. And yeah, in English it's called "The Dark Eye". What's discussed on Wikipedia makes it sound similar to D&D or Pathfinder.

I'm a big fan of tabletop RPGs. My husband is trying to sort out Shadowrun mechanics so he can make a game for it. We played it briefly before and it was pretty fun, but very different.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #128 on: 26 May 2014, 12:53 »

I do love Shadowrun. I'm playing the second campaign for the computer version, but you really can't beat the pen and paper games. Shadowrun, Champions and D&D have always been pretty much my go-to systems.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #129 on: 26 May 2014, 16:20 »

I want to play board games. I went to my brother's house this weekend and his housemate had organised a board games party, but she and I ended up spending almost the entire evening in her room (not in that sense; she's dating my cousin) so if any board games were playing, we did not partake.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #130 on: 28 May 2014, 13:05 »

I have a bunch of board game apps on my tablet.  May prove useful tonight when I have some time to kill.

I love 7 wonders more than any person should, probably.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #131 on: 28 May 2014, 15:09 »

We were very close to playing that, but we had 7 people and only 2 knew the rules, so we went with Resistance instead.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #132 on: 28 May 2014, 16:42 »

I've moved this thread to the ENJOY section instead of CLICK, in case anyone was looking for it and confused - it seemed to make a bit more sense over here!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #133 on: 29 May 2014, 06:39 »

The mods are mad with powar!!!

I kid.

The best thing about 7 wonders is that it scales wonderfully.  It plays identically, and at the same speed, with 7 people as with 3.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #134 on: 29 May 2014, 06:49 »

Watch it, matey, or I'll change your default profile title to something ridiculous.

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #135 on: 10 Jul 2014, 15:28 »

Mouse Guard is getting it's own board game, based on a game in the books

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #136 on: 11 Jul 2014, 07:00 »

Watch it, matey, or I'll change your default profile title to something ridiculous.

(click to show/hide)

I read title as "photo" and my first thought was "Please do. Change it to a banana!"

It would be hilarious to come in one day and just see everyone's avatar changed to a different piece of fruit.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #137 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:07 »

So I got the latest Smash Up expansion at GenCon and it's monster themed and looks interesting. (Also the Giant Ants cards are all/almost all named after Queen songs.) I think it'll be released sometime in the fall. And they've released a Big Geeky Box this month (the booth was out) to store everything in that comes with a Geek deck featuring those from Geek and Sundry. Must get.

One of the games that I played at GenCon that is inappropriately hilarious was Tentacle Bento. It's like some weird mash-up of tentacle porn, rummy, and CAH. I was the only girl in the group playing it and boy did I have fun making it awkward for everyone else. (Dramatic readings with eyebrow wiggles.) Also it got kicked off of kickstarter, which kind of makes it even sillier. But for having a weird theme, it's actually not a bad game, but it's definitely for players that have a sense of "questionable" humor. I am going to have to get it.

Another that we did buy was Star Realms that is a fun 2-6 player deck building game. We demoed the 2-player and it was a lot of fun. Each box is a two player game and you can combine up to three boxes for 3-6 player games. There are also rule variations for 3-6 players to change up the game that sound interesting.

We also demoed another game, but I'm going to have to find the card I took for it. It was fun, but there was a shipping problem and they didn't have enough games in order to sell them at the convention. As soon as I get the name I'll share it.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #138 on: 17 Aug 2014, 20:13 »

RoboTech Tactics ???

I wanted to go to GenCon so bad.

:(
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #139 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:30 »

So Small World fans looking to have it electronically (PC/Mac/Linux/Android) should totally head over to Humble Bundle and get it while it's relatively cheap! It even comes bundled with DLC that you'd have to have been a kickstarter backer to get.

And then you should friend me and play games with me, becuase I want to play against people!  :-D I just need to find my DoW username and post it at some point....

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #140 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:51 »

Ooh thanks for the reminder.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #141 on: 27 Sep 2014, 20:56 »

A new game store opened up nearby and my girlfriend and I finally got the chance to go inside. We had a look around and thought this looked interesting, mainly from the art style on the box, so we picked it up

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #142 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:41 »

I have been thinking for a while that I want to buy Monopoly for parties, and am really dithering over whether to get the special version made for my city or just the normal one. Anyone played any of the geographical variants, and any thoughts?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #143 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:01 »

Do you want to keep your friends?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #144 on: 28 Sep 2014, 10:51 »

Well, yes. Is your problem with Monopoly in general or the Birmingham one in particular?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #145 on: 28 Sep 2014, 13:49 »

Haha.  I can't really pick on any particular place in England, because I don't know where all my grandparents are from.

That said, I think the point was Monopoly.  People can be cutthroat, though of course the people matter more than the game.

I own Monopoly, but against the newer style board games, I don't think I can see ever playing it again.

(If you're curious, watch some TableTop - it's very well done.)

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #146 on: 28 Sep 2014, 16:38 »

Well, it's not really a board game, but Cards Against Humanity is a great way to see who's going to hell fastest.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #147 on: 28 Sep 2014, 17:06 »

I've never seen a game of Monopoly or of Scrabble that didn't end in bloodshed.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #148 on: 29 Sep 2014, 23:16 »

Diplomacy has the worst reputation for making people hate one another, doesn't it?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #149 on: 30 Sep 2014, 00:46 »

Found a new D&D group at last, first game was on Saturday. 15 Minutes in I accidentally almost killed one of the other characters. I like where this is going. :-D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up