THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Board Games  (Read 41833 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Board Games
« Reply #150 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:00 »

I've played Cards Against Humanity with various of the party attendees, but I'm not sure it'd be right for the particular group coming to this party - many of them haven't met each other yet, and there are varying senses of humour.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #151 on: 30 Sep 2014, 07:20 »

Yeah... that has potential to go really poorly.... or really well.  :evil:

My big issue with Monopoly is that the game has potential to outstay its welcome, has player elimination, and ends often in a two player roll-off to see who can avoid the other's properties until one finally bleeds the other dry. That's at least in my (admittedly limited) experience. I do have fun with it, but as ev4n said, there's other games I'd rather play.

Unfortunately, none of what I said actually helps with what you asked, May.  :-\ Is your interest strictly in Monopoly for now or are you interested in other games that work in party environments as well?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #152 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:40 »

Both to be honest. I was thinking about getting a few classic board games, and saw the Birmingham Monopoly and greatly coveted it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #153 on: 30 Sep 2014, 14:32 »

I generally find with Monopoly that a fixed time limit of an hour or two plus three rounds is a good way to limit tedium and acrimony. Have some anime or Boondocks to entertain any early eliminations.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #154 on: 30 Sep 2014, 14:56 »

I feel like adding the eliminated players to a support team for the remaining players could be fun. Monopoly by democracy/shouting match.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #155 on: 30 Sep 2014, 15:05 »

I enjoy Trivial Pursuit because in my circles it leads to loads of banter. Although getting people past the "not wanting to look silly for not knowing things" can be tricky, even when I am one of those people.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #156 on: 01 Oct 2014, 10:42 »

Further to the Tabletop recommendation, he stays away from games that involve elimination mechanics.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #157 on: 02 Oct 2014, 07:35 »

Huge boardgamer here.  I cut my teeth with Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride a few years ago and I haven't looked back at mass market games like Monopoly ever since.  I've been to Gencon three out of the last four (stupid weddings getting in the way) years and have about 40 games in my collection (not including the expansions I have for said games).  Over the last few years I've aquired a preference for heavy theme, Amerithrash style games.  I do enjoy an occasional Euro game but more often than not, I'd reach for a copy of Cosmic Encounter instead of Settlers.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #158 on: 04 Oct 2014, 09:29 »

May, I realized I'm being dumb in not suggesting what I normally do when I'm not sure about a game I want to get. If you're still debating:Birmingham Monopoly BGG page. Based on the description, it sounds like there's no real difference beyond the expected cosmetic differences. If that's enough to bring you and others more into the game, then I say go for it! If there are any gameplay differences I doubt it's anything significant and can probably be house ruled if you don't like it (and so many people house rule Monopoly without knowing it, anyway  :laugh:). Also, don't pay any mind to the rating... in case you haven't noticed, many hobby board gamers have their critical opinions on the game and the rethemed versions don't get the benefit of people that actually like the game signing on to defend it.

And for anyone that's interested - a listing of party games I think are awesome. Criteria for me was that it play well with 6 players and for it to be easy to learn and teach. Recommended Party Games (in no particular order):

Cards Against Humanity (4-whatever players)

Okay, that's out of the way...

Dixit (3 to 6 players)
(click to show/hide)

The Resistance (5-12 players)
(click to show/hide)

Wits and Wagers (4+ players)
(click to show/hide)

Clusterfight (3-12 players)
(click to show/hide)

Also, Dixit, Wits and Wagers, and The Resistance have all had tabletop episodes for them, so if you want to see actual gameplay of them, I recommend searching for those!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #159 on: 05 Oct 2014, 03:08 »

Yeah looking at the two comments for the five ratings, one person has never played the themed game but has given it a rating of 4 because their rating for original Monopoly is 6 and they don't like themes. The other hates Monopoly so gave it a 2. I don't really think I care about their opinions!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #160 on: 05 Oct 2014, 06:00 »

About as much use as people who rate things 0/1 because the delivery was late.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #161 on: 05 Oct 2014, 14:20 »

I had a chance to play the Game of Thrones board game with some friends recently. Hoooooly hell, making alliances in that game will destroy friendships.
(I won, by the way. Managed to slowly build my army up down south without anyone noticing. It was sweeet)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #162 on: 05 Oct 2014, 18:44 »

Played the Battlestar Galactica boardgame today.  I never watched the show, but I managed to kill them as the only hostile cylon.  The other cylon was a human-loving toaster.  Clearly inferior.  I managed to shoot the fuel tank on literally the last turn before the humans won and drop their fuel reserves from bare minimum to zero. 

The phrase "Beep boop, motherfucker!" may have been used. 
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2014, 19:00 by Orkboy »

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #163 on: 06 Oct 2014, 02:59 »

Played Carcasonne and Dominion with my kids today.  Pulled them off electronics, sat them down, had a fantastic time with them.

Fleeting...

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 07 Oct 2014, 10:20 »

About as much use as people who rate things 0/1 because the delivery was late.

I once read an Amazon review of a Thermos flask that complained that the food was cold after a couple of hours, but also stated that they hadn't pre-warmed the Thermos or filled it more than half way. I had to respond and point out that the problem wasn't the Thermos but the user - if you do not follow the instructions, then of course it will not work properly.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #165 on: 16 Oct 2014, 22:12 »

I got the latest Legendary: A Marvel Deckbuilding Game expansion today! It's themed around The Guardians of the Galaxy, of course. Thanos is available to fight, as are the infinity gems! Boyfriend and I played a game where the Kree Supreme Intelligence wants to collect the gems to form the Infinity Gauntlet. We lost. HARD. The worst part is that I can't even comprehend how the Supreme Intelligence will even use the damned thing! HE HAS NO HANDS!!!!

+ =

Does he just stick it on one of his "hairs" and call it a day? Augh.

Also, I got Love Letter and I was surprised by how well it played two player! Reading the rules and looking at the cards, you might be tempted to think it'll be over fast and feel kind of lame. The former is true, but the latter couldn't be farther from the truth. Definitely a fun game to either kick off a board game night or play in between games.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 22:18 by Game and Watch Forever »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #166 on: 21 Oct 2014, 00:27 »

May, the last time I played monopoly or was of my city and it did make it more enjoyable. But this was over 15 years ago. M and I did just but a Legend of Zelda version, though. I say if you like the game, it won't hurt to buy it.

Also I second getting Dixit! That was that story telling game we played with Edith that had the pretty art. I've been meaning to pick it up for a while now.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #167 on: 11 Mar 2015, 21:45 »

So a game I kickstarted came out not too long ago: Billionaire Banshee

It's quite an entertaining little party game. It has a deck of 'perk' cards and a deck of 'quirks.' By drawing a card from each, you get a potential life partner for yourself (assume you're single). You secretly vote whether you would date that person and everyone else guesses. Once everything is locked in, everyone reveals their guesses, makes justifications, and then the answer is revealed and points are given out for correct guesses.

The cards can be realistic ('owns a super yacht', 'is a compulsive liar'), fantasy ('teleports when eating vanilla pudding', 'is a kappa'), or sexy ('will act as your personal dom', 'has a foot fetish'), so the variety is amazing and can be customized based on the group playing. I do think the game was designed with the idea that a lot of the cards are more 'neutral' than anything, so some of the perks really could be negative things for some people and some of the quirks could be positive. You also may learn something about your friends! Highlights for me:

I got a combination of 'cleans for you' and 'asexual.' Which prompted a friend to practically throw her date card at me since she (apparently) wanted that combination for herself. Turns out she identifies as asexual, which I didn't know!

On one of said friend's turns she got the perfect combination of 'professional racecar driver'  and 'thinks they're a car.' We all had to take a time out to die laughing and speculate what this person must be like.

Another combination I got was 'has a pouch you can ride in' and 'has a foot fetish.' The perk card felt the need to specify that the pouch also had a fully-functional nipple... my reaction while reading that line gave everyone easy points, but we got a laugh out of it.

I'm seriously looking forward to playing with more people and seeing more of the cards and combos they can make.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #168 on: 11 Mar 2015, 21:51 »

For some reason that made me think of a game show I saw on TV once called "Baggage." It was a dating show where three players revealed "facts" about themselves and then another person had to decide which of them to date...

Another combination I got was 'has a pouch you can ride in' and 'has a foot fetish.' The perk card felt the need to specify that the pouch also had a fully-functional nipple... my reaction while reading that line gave everyone easy points, but we got a laugh out of it.
Kangaroo with a foot fetish? Sounds kinky.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up