THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear Review  (Read 2494 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Gear Review
« on: 08 Jun 2014, 10:42 »

If a thread like this already exists let me know! If not, I'd like for this to be a thread for reviews (for all levels of ambition :o) of various gadgets.

I recently ordered this portable bluetooth speaker from Sony:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRSBTM8-Portable-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B00BLCLUQO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402248760

So far I'm very pleased, although I haven't used it outdoors yet. It runs on AC as well as on 4 AA batteries and I hear the battery life is decent.

Wrt design, it looks a little odd, kinda like a purse, but I like it. It looks very elegant. It's conveniently sized, has a comfortable handle and seems pretty stable.

The sound-quality is surprisingly good. Obviously, due to the inherent limitations of a smallish battery-powered speaker as well as of bluetooth itself, you can't expect miracles. But the sound is actually enjoyable. It's clear and full and loud enough to fill a small apartment. The bass isn't anything to write home about, but it's decent. There's occasionally a tiny amount of distortion, but this may be due to my messing with the equalizer settings for no good reason.

My two favourite features so far are NFC-assisted coupling and a REALLY good microphone that allows the speaker to work as a speakerphone. Using it as a speakerphone is a mixed blessing, because you can't just ignore the call and let it ring--instead you hear an annoying ringtone until the caller hangs up--but the sound quality is great. That's it for now, I'll get back to you if it explodes like my blender just did :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am
Pages: [1]   Go Up