THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Evil Within  (Read 7441 times)

TheEvilDog

The Evil Within
« on: 01 May 2013, 20:18 »

For those who haven't heard about it, The Evil Within is the first game from Tango Gamesworks, and the latest game from Shinji Mikami, who is most famously responsible for the Resident Evil series.
Details about the game are a little scarce at the moment, but it seems that the player will take on the role of Detective Sebastian who rushes to a mass murder with his partner and finds a mysterious force waiting for them. What follows after is supposed to take players through fear and madness as they try to determine what is going on.
The trailer, a live action video, was released on the 19th of April and is one of the genuinely scariest trailers I have ever seen. You can check it out here, but be warned, it is somewhat disturbing
Game is due out in 2014.
I'm looking forward to it.

ackblom12

Re: The Evil Within
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 13:40 »

Destructoid has a preview article up on the gameplay that has been shown off, and while the initial trailer didn't do a lot for me, the confirmation that they've got the horror aspect (They're not sure about the survival half of that) nailed down spikes my interest a bit.

http://www.destructoid.com/a-return-to-true-survival-horror-with-the-evil-within-254606.phtml

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 15:58 »

I think once they announced that Shinji Mikami was going to be behind, I knew they had the horror down pat.
The only thing that kind of puts me about the game is the apparent Saw elements, mainly because I can't stand torture films.
But still, looking forward to the game.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 16:01 »

If the saw elements are more in the nature of the first film and not the sequels or shit like Hostel, it could work pretty well. I'd still like to see more before I decide if I care much though.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 16:07 »

Oddly enough, I've never been a big fan of gore in games. Its not being squeamish, but I've always thought that its not horror that have swimming pools of blood, its disgust, which is something else entirely. Real horror is not what you see, but what you don't see, the quick glimpse, the hidden sound, all that.

But you're right, need to wait and see what else they have lined up for the game.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2013, 16:17 »

Understandable, though I think gore definitely has aspects of horror (think body horror), though it's not always used particularly effectively. All too often it's used as a cheap thrill, which while fun, is commonly mistaken for scares.

And I suppose what I mean by the feel of the first Saw film is that the gore was merely the end result of the horrors that came before, rather than being the entire point of the film.

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2013, 14:54 »

Ok, I've decided I'm interested.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2013, 14:27 »

Ok, I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening. Why is nothing happening?!?!

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2013, 14:35 »

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2013, 10:41 »

There is something about the direction/camera-work that comes accross as annoying or unintentionally hilarious, but overall shit's really intense. If i had a PS3 or whatever console this comes out for i would buy it in a snap.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #10 on: 01 Nov 2014, 00:30 »

Just put it to bed.     

What the FUCK. 

I mean i like it,  but is missing a couple of screws

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2014, 15:56 »

Surely there must be someone out there that I can discuss this game with.

Now that I'm on an actual computer again.

I have THOUGHTS that could use cross-referencing. It's a fucking Mikami game after all.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2014, 20:50 »

Ah well.

The game makes a lot more sense if
(click to show/hide)

This is already way too long a post, and I've got other things to touch on, as well as some points I can't adequately explain or would possibly counter my proposal. That said, is there anyone else interested even? Or did this one get a rising 'Meh!' from the crowd?

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #13 on: 09 Nov 2014, 08:26 »

I'm actually very interested, but can't get it right now.  I will be picking it up in the next few months.  I haven't read any of the spoilers on your post, because I don't want to know anything about this before playing.  I'm staying as ignorant as possible (not easy given some of the damned commercials) for the sake of a clean playthrough the first time.

I'm intrigued by the concepts that I've heard from the early development days.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 09 Nov 2014, 11:32 »

Oh thank God ... I was beginning to think that I was the only person in my tangential life who had even considered touching this one.

So, I would suggest renting instead of buying initially.

There are definitely a lot of parallels with Resident Evil 4, for better and worse. Though I found they'd stolen a few more Silent Hill-flavored elements and blended them in, to my delight.

Reviews are all across the map, which indicates it's a bit of an odd flavor. I like it; it got into my brain, like Mikami & Co.'s stuff often does.

It also pissed me off in several spots, like Mikami & Co.'s stuff often does. But only for brief moments, and that's more of a 'man I should have known you'd do this to me again' sort of way.

Hope you enjoy it when you get to it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up