THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS IS NOT A CHATROOM (everyone read this please)  (Read 41866 times)

Ally

Guys, I understand that you like to "have fun," but the newbie forum is not a chatroom. These threads are turning into ridiculous chats where you are saying stupid (and sometimes offensive) things. The purpose of this part of the forum is for new people to introduce themselves and say things about themselves, not for you to kill their threads by talking about yourselves.

You also need to slow down on the posting. Some of you have 13 or 14 posts a day, and you've been here for a month or so. This is not right! You need to take it slow when you come to this forum, since it is really a community where there is a definite style of posting and humor. It is not hard to become part of this community - all you need to do is ask yourself "if I were someone else, would I want to read this?" before pressing the Post button. If you hesitate, chances are whatever you are going to say will not be conducive to the discussion. Posting things that are "random lol" are annoying and just piss other people off.

If you receive a polite PM from an older member of the community who isn't a mod asking you to change something about the way you post, please listen.  While the mods might be here to enforce the rules, the community itself defines a large part of what constitutes acceptable discussion and general forum culture.  They are most likely trying to help you out before a mod sees you or has to say something to you.  It is generally in your best interest to be polite and listen to what they have to say.  If someone is rude you can always contact a Mod or Admin.

I'm not going to quote specific examples of posts that are ludicrous, because I don't feel like singling people out, but if you guys don't get your act together, know that I will.

Admins & Mods
  • jeph
  • heather
  • est
  • mr. mike
  • Daniel
  • Pengraffe
  • Clara
  • Ally
  • Trollstormur
  • Fruitkat
  • Emilio
  • Inlander
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2007, 14:42 by Ally »

Mnementh

Re: THIS IS NOT OKAY (everyone read this please)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:09 »

If I Like Fish has boring stuff, why don't you change that instead of posting of topic stuff in the wrong forum and calling it boring when you're asked to refrain.  The forum is only as interesting as the community makes it, but there are rules, and things that don't fit in any other category belong in I like Fish.

Ally

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:19 »

Besides what Dan said, perhaps your definition of what is an "interesting topic" does not fit in with what the rest of this forum considers an "interesting topic."

In which case I suggest finding another forum which caters to your chattering. It is not appreciated here.

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 13:09 »

How about these chat options as well.

Gabbly!

And, for the slightly more tech savvy...

#QC

irc.questionablecontent.net
bye

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 14:33 »

Maybe if there were more interesting threads in the other sections, people wouldn't want to post more in here

As other people have already said, if you don't think there are any interesting threads in the other sections why don't you start them?  The newbie area is for new people to introduce themselves, be welcomed, and maybe talk about themselves a little and feel a little more comfortable jumping into one of the other sections.  It is not a fucking chatroom.  Please stop treating it as such.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: THIS IS NOT A CHATROOM (everyone read this please)
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2007, 14:48 »

I'm not going to quote specific examples of posts that are ludicrous, because I don't feel like singling people out, but if you guys don't get your act together, know that I will.

*cough*

I'm sorry.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2007, 16:14 »

To quote one of the more well read and intelligent (as well as handsome) forum users:

To elaborate, here is a question from one of my loyal readers:
"Dear Tyler, when is a good time to let a thread die? -Timmy"
"Good question, little Timmy. Threads often take differing amount of times to run their course. Some are derailed and useless immediately, whereas others others may go on for hundreds of contributions and remain interesting to read. Others should have been killed before the OP hit the 'Post' button. Here are some basic questions to go by to decide if a thread should be left alone:

Is this thread still on topic, or at least on a side topic of interest still related to the main one? If not, you should not add posts to this thread.
Is what I wish to post already said in this thread, and will my addition add any value to the thread when others read it? Make sure that concurring posts do add some sort of benefit before you add them.
Is the topic of this thread even one that should have been created? Just because a thread exists, does not mean one has to post in it. Postcount quality is far more important than quantity.
Could what I wish to add truly be more useful in a separate post, or conversely, is the thread I am about to create already in existence? Try to avoid repeat threads. The search function can do wonders in this regard.
Is this thread a spoof thread? Often times threads will be made to poke fun of others, as occurs often in the Music section. These threads often were not meant to have a point aside from the topic line, and should generally be left as is.
Did this thread have a specific lifespan? (e.g. a birthday thread, or a drunken Jeph thread) Belated birthday wishes are more than ok, however, some threads should be allowed to rest in peace once they are past their time frame.

Remember these tips, and your post quality and the quality of these boards can only increase. Also keep in mind, if you are new, it may not be the best idea to create many threads, or make too many personal comments about other boarders. Some people have been friends here since before Kriss Kross made you jump jump, and are comfortable enough with each other to make these comments. Ease into the boards, make strong posts, and you soon will find yourself well integrated into the community.

Thanks Timmy!"

Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2007, 19:21 »

I am sorrry that I did not report this idiocy that was occuring in the Intro threads

at the request of Stegy
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 19:24 by Blue Kitty »

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
  • I lie to myself constantly!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2007, 19:24 »

We is sorry we is lazy bastards.

But seriously, I was debating just leaving these threads because it wasn't entertaining anymore.

Hopefully I will not have to leave now. I enjoy welcoming new people in different ways and then sending them on their way, NOT POSTING 20 TIMES IN ONE THREAD ABOUT NOTHING AND THINKING IT'S THE FUNNIEST THING EVER!!
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 19:28 by qtownstegy »
Quote from: Blue Kitty
"Man, why is it that whores find my Myspace?  I mean, my name is the Blue Kitty, not, 'Hey whore, I will add you'"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2007, 21:26 »

BK and qtown, you are fighting the good fight.

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2007, 21:55 »

Would it be okay with you guys if I didn't commit seppku for this?  I mean, I know I set a bad example for our NURRs, and with that recent swap of Johnny C with megatokyo, all our employees have been encouraged to follow traditional Japanese rituals, but I'd really rather not die a virgin.

I promise I shan't do it again.
bye

Entilzah

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2007, 03:36 »

Simply Stated

I too appologize

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2007, 09:03 »

I apologize too. I'm very sorry.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Shiney_Gothique

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:27 »

Ok. I think this is important to let everyone know but I'm still a little confused as to what you mean would you consider this intro thread (happens to be mine) to be inappropriate?

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,14685.50.html

Be honest. I just want to know exactly what you guys mean.

Thanks.

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2007, 08:41 »

The problem with your thread is that it's just a conversation between three people, which could be accomplished through another means.

Welcome threads are not meant as permanent places for discourse. They are meant for quick hellos and a little intro on how the forums work, then we send the new people on their way.

We get that you know Kara and that Kara knows you, now go lurk out in the forums and stop posting in that thread.
"Man, why is it that whores find my Myspace?  I mean, my name is the Blue Kitty, not, 'Hey whore, I will add you'"

Shiney_Gothique

« Reply #15 on: 01 Feb 2007, 01:15 »

Ok thanks. That's exacly what I wanted to hear. I like you. Straight and to the point. Thanks again.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #16 on: 01 Feb 2007, 04:11 »

thanks ally and mods for taking quick action.

If it's any guide, i think more than 5-10 posts a day for the first few weeks is the complete max for new people. Thats assuming the posts are well spread out, not in one thread. I'd add that starting threads is unadvisable.

I might not have authority to tell new people what is a good idea, but i was an annoying newbie not so long ago.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 05 Apr 2007, 14:14 »

Let me make this quite clear to all new people...

THIS IS NOT A WELCOME THREAD!! DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT ONE!! MAKE YOUR OWN THREADS!! THIS THREAD IS A WARNING FROM WHEN THINGS WERE GETTING OUT OF HAND!!

Bottom line is, stop posting in here.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up