THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 00:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8-track tapes  (Read 7795 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
8-track tapes
« on: 02 May 2013, 20:34 »

I hear a lot of people praise the virtues of 8-track tapes.  Are these just Baby Boomers blinded (or deafened) by nostalgia, or did these tapes have a sound quality I do not understand?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: 8-track tapes
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2013, 00:43 »

Nostalgia and cloth ears.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kwaping

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2013, 07:00 »

I've heard that 8-tracks tapes have superior sound. It makes sense if you think about it. However, the equipment used to actually play an 8-track may not be up to today's standards.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2013, 07:32 »

The eight-track tape had the same track width as a compact cassette (which came later), but ran at twice the speed (so still half the track width and half the speed of a domestic "hi-fi" tape).  The tape was a continuous loop that fed out from the centre, bending the tape and requiring a lot of slipping of layers over each other, so tape speed was never secure, tape wear was an issue, and rewinding was impossible - you had to wind the whole way round.  The head moved physically between tracks, on a mechanism that gave more scope for misalignment and unreliability.  They were primarily designed for use in cars, which probably says all the rest.

Any idea that it was in any way a decent format is based on nostalgia alone.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2013, 16:30 »

'Twas probably more a matter of content than quality.  Anything you could get on 8-trak was available on vinyl, though, and usually much better quality - and most (but dammit, not all) is available digitally now. 

A few years ago I got my father some CD's of his favorite London "FFRR" (Full Frequancy Range Recordings) Gilbert & Sullivan operettas from the 50's - his vinyl copies were destroyed in a radiator catastrophe back in the 80's. 

He was a very happy man. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2013, 18:40 »

I always figured it was kind of a step between Vinyl Records and the Cassette Tape.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up