• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Emily's days of punning...

...are over for good.
- 6 (7.2%)
...until someone explains that Hannelore doesn't do puns.
- 13 (15.7%)
...has an obsession with peas.
- 0 (0%)
...and Q's.
- 3 (3.6%)
...has tried so hard to be the "good" child in her family.
- 6 (7.2%)
...are not over! No puns, no peas!
- 16 (19.3%)
...Oh, no, not again.
- 13 (15.7%)
...Waffles? (Wait, that's not a pun.)
- 9 (10.8%)
...needs to be given a second chance at peas.
- 17 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2440-2444 (6-10 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 72845 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

This isn't a pineapple under the sea, it's a coffee shop under an iron fist.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

And the difference is?

Nothing like a bit of exposition to move a plot along.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Since this comic was actually mostly about Faye I think it's useful to go a little deeper there. Her life as she has reconstructed it in Northhampton is way better than it was before in Savannah (dad dying, etc.) so having a stable life that she likes is a pretty major accomplishment for her. She wanted to make her life better and she did it and she has seen little but stagnation from Marten.

What she doesn't see, however, is whatever's going on in the rehearsal space with the 8-string, Whatever went on at his dad's wedding with Claire, the leadership he showed at work... So she might not be privy to the underlying changes that we all see as progress.

Were they being catty? Sure, a little, not much more than his mom was being when she visited. That's all why I think something big-ish is coming up.

Edit: Spelling was hard on small device in a h urry
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 09:49 by FunkyTuba »

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Yeah, I do agree with FunkyTuba about Faye's "progress" being all about reconstructing her psyche and life. If she was having blackout suicidal attempts, and moved onto having tenuous (sex-driven) relationships, and moved onto a more stable relationship, then she's definitely had her journey.

But yeah, Marten is still directionless. It is NOT ENOUGH to be the nice, empowering-to-your-friends, generally good guy that doesn't lift a finger about moving on himself. What is cool at his age (late 20's?) is going to be, existentially, fucking ridiculous in his mid-40's. Wearing ironic t-shirts and the guy behind the desk at the college library? really?

SQUEEZE BOX

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I don't really understand the difference between Faye's contentedness and Marten's. 

One major difference is that Marten is NOT content. He has hinted many times and even stated straight out a few times dissatisfaction with where his life is. He has talked about what he would like to do with his life (something involving music) but doesn't do anything to achieve that, not does he seem to have anything particular in mind beyond.

But the point of the conversation in the comic seems to be that Faye's complacency is NOT okay, or at least not ideal. Dora isn't saying that what Faye is doing is good, nor is she saying that what Marten is doing is worse, just that it doesn't work either so don't imitate it. If Faye has any level of self-awareness, which we know she does, she'll know she is in the same boat and will end up exactly the way she said Marten would. Pointing out that someone else's methodologies are flawed does not imply that yours are not.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@Throg - That's a rather big assumption that just because he's been doing this the past couple years means he'll be doing it in 15.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Obviously, when they're not performing for the comic, the characters ship various members of the forum. Some of the pairings they come up with are horrific.

I agree. I mean, me and ChaoSera? REALLY?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wonder who I got paired with.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

@Throg what's wrong with being a librarian? A lot of people really like that career.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well he's not a librarian.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

@Throg what's wrong with being a librarian? A lot of people really like that career.

He's not a librarian though, he's just a library employee. I don't think even Tai's a librarian. He probably gets a bit above minimum wage for stocking shelves and showing people around (that's what it's like for public library pages, at least).

Latias

• Plantmonster

Regarding Marten not being content, is that still the case? I know it was something that was expressed a lot in earlier strips, but has it been a sentiment he's expressed recently? I can't seem to recall him saying anything of the sort in a long time, but my memory isn't the greatest.

But yeah, Marten is still directionless. It is NOT ENOUGH to be the nice, empowering-to-your-friends, generally good guy that doesn't lift a finger about moving on himself. What is cool at his age (late 20's?) is going to be, existentially, fucking ridiculous in his mid-40's. Wearing ironic t-shirts and the guy behind the desk at the college library? really?

Marten's life is more than t-shirts and being a library clerk. It's also quite a jump to assume he'll be doing that in his 40s, but if he is, who are you to judge him? If he's happy with his life, what gives you the right to say that's ridiculous and that he should spend his life someway else? Just because that might not be your type of lifestyle does not make it ridiculous. It really doesn't. You don't decide what is "enough" for someone.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication

Ok, so this is going way overboard, but I looked at the real Smith College library staff page, and there are definitely positions Marten could apply for with a 4 year degree in Music and circ desk experience (and a secret Naked Trustee bonus to all job application rolls).
http://www.smith.edu/libraries/info/staff/az

So he COULD try for a future at the library and maybe even make it work, he'd just have to do the bare minimum, which is fill out an application and BCC the trustees.
That's basically how I got my decent IT career started (minus blackmail), I worked as a student in a work study job, learned stuff working and applied for a staff position, and so on.  I'm not passionate about it but I do love the place and the people I work with, so it's fine.

westrim

Being a librarian requires a masters degree, (the lowest paid masters degree profession). Tai and Marten are just employees, not librarians, who are spoken of as slightly mythical creatures and rarely if ever appear in the strip (I believe those were board members that Marten caught boning).

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

(minus blackmail)
Quote from: Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackmail is such an ugly word! I prefer "extortion"...the "x" makes it sound cool.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Another possibility is Marten could use his degree to lecture. Spend enough time working for the college, make the right connections and if you know your shit (Marten does in fact know his shit about music as we've previously observed) and you can weasel into a lecturer position with a BA. Which sounds a lot like Marten's ideal actually. He wants to hang out and talk about music.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication

Not every permanent, non student position in a university library is filled by a "Librarian".  There's a lot of lower level support staff that would only need a bachelors or maybe even a high school diploma for some of the billing/clerk positions.  Those are definitely in Marten's reach if he actually applied.  But yeah, that's as high as he gets in the Library org chart without years of experience and/or getting tuition remittance to get a library science degree part time.  I know people who have made it work but Marten's probably not one of those people.

And it's not like Jeph would ever have Marten do this because its really boring and out of character (or developing his character in a boring way). 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Unfortunately, hanging out and talking about a topic isn't what being a lecturer is all about. 

There are these things called students that you're accountable for - grades, course content, syllabi... it's actually a fair amount of work, despite the pittance you're paid for it (he's probably better off at the library...)

~~~~~

My baby brother, who just turned 41, is a musician (bass player).  He's had a few different bands, they get gigs, one actually put out an album before they disbanded (and some Irish group took their name, so I can't find anything online about them anymore).  He works at Trader Joe's as a "day job" for the insurance, and helps a cabinetmaker through the winter when the gigs are few and far between, but he lives for the music.  He's currently in a jazz trio and a reformed group from the one that put out the album.  Occasionally he gets out the string bass and plays with a chamber orchestra. 

Will he ever hit the big time?  Hell no.  Does he make a living off his music?  Nope, again.  Does he have goals? 

Well, hard to tell. 

Is he happy?  He gets to play his music, and his life's pretty stable.  He has friends and lovers.  Yeah, he's happy.  Marten could do far worse. 

Edit:  After some concerted searching, I find that their CD is available through Amazon for 29.99. 

Better hurry, only one left...

Yeah, edited out the name.  Privacy and all that... the cat's either Morrie or Artie, one of my parent's twin cats.  They got named by tormenting the dog, Sherlock...
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 21:03 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Xthform

• Not quite a lurker

I personally think this comic is far to harsh on a guy who is far better off then the two people ragging on him. Faye is more or less in the same position Marten is in but way less mentally sound, Dora while better off then Marten from a professional level is leagues behind him in both emotional and mental health. Faye nor Dora has any right to rag on Marten for what hes decided to do with his life. He is far more emotionally and mentally sound then both of them put together and he has a job that hes content with and pays the bills.
(moderator: the next sentence was immoderate)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 00:40 by Is it cold in here? »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

This isn't a pineapple under the sea, it's a coffee shop under an iron fist.

And the difference is?

Nothing like a bit of exposition to move a plot along.

Hello there, glad to meet you!
Welcome to the worlds of Bikini Bottom and Questionable Content. My name is Loki. People affectionately refer to me as "that weird guy with a degree in comics and cartoons".
Those worlds are inhabited far and wide by creatures we call "characters".
For some people, characters are a source of entertainment.
Others use them for projecting everything they feel onto them and over-analyzing their behavior.
As for myself... I used to waste time consuming both.
You may wonder about the differences between the two worlds.
In one, creatures do pointless things and occasionally have some drama. In the other.... well, wait. There is no difference.

Now tell me. Are you a boy? Or a girl?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

So at least one character has a five year plan. Good to see.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Loki

• comeback tour!

NO! That means that we will see it executed in 25 real-life years, at its earliest!

KOK

a.  How threadbare is the "TEH" tshirt by now;
b.  Are we going to get a real shift in the life of one of the characters in the next few weeks;
c.  Can the posters in this forum stop overanalyzing the strip;
d.  Will I have enough time to get a decent dinner before I have to report for duty this evening;
e.  Is there enough space ham; and
f.  Who's shipping who?

a. Not at all
b. Yes, unless we don't
c. In principle yes, but they never will
d. No
e. Impossible
f. Somebody is shipping everybody
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 05:38 by KOK »

Truec

• Furry furrier

Hannelore had best get on the ball if she wants to get from coffee shop employee to supervillain with a virus in five years.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Faye nor Dora has any right to rag on Marten for what hes decided to do with his life.

They have a point, in that he's not acting on a conscious decision. He's still got all the problems he mentioned in comics 3 and 11. He's drifting, not deciding.

EDIT: Maybe Hannermom will want someone to take over the family business in the next five years? Or at least let her only child get a toe in the water by starting out as a junior executive? She said she's been feeling less fulfillment in her villainy, so maybe she'll want to spend more time with her new pool boy.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2013, 01:07 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Latias

• Plantmonster

They have a point, in that he's not acting on a conscious decision. He's still got all the problems he mentioned in comics 3 and 11. He's drifting, not deciding.

"All the problems"? He only really mentioned one in those comics - his discontent with his job. That he no longer has. He quit that job and is doing something he seems to be a lot more content with.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's still fetch and carry work. Tai had to drop a piano on him to get him to progress professionally.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Dropping a piano on people never hurt anyone, as evidenced by Looney Toons.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

He told the Bianchi parents that what he really wants is to do music full time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

You don't think being squashed up like an accordion hurts? Sure, it's only temporary, but a severe temporary pain is still a severe pain. And, as I believe Daffy Duck once pointed out, "pain hurts."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

what gives you the right to say that's ridiculous and that he should spend his life someway else?

I know I shouldn't introduce politics (bad Paul!), but last night on the radio I heard a government spokesman talking about ways to limit immigration, and saying that they only wanted immigrants who would do good jobs, and not those who would take low-paid jobs.  I heard this as meaning "we need to keep the low-paid jobs available for our own people who haven't the ambition to do anything else".

Not every permanent, non student position in a university library is filled by a "Librarian".

My wife is second in charge of a university library, without having any previous connections or experience as a librarian!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The library job is also something he got quasi-accidentally rather than to suit his needs and decisions.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

What key do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?

(click to show/hide)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!

The library job is also something he got quasi-accidentally rather than to suit his needs and decisions.
Well, he had qualifications.

@Paul:

(_)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

New strip up.

Oh Hanners.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I am absolutely in love with the floor.

I want to marry it and have sweet adamantine children.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Hanners looks disturbingly convincing as a Bond-villain mother's daughter. But the final panel suggests not so much a five-year-plan, so much as... a vision of the future? Is she a precog? Or is it her mother's five year plan for her to take over as head of Evilco?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I think Hanners  has a supervillain somewhere in a part of her brain that she's no allowed access to right now.   When the time is right it''ll show itself.   Like Zaphod  stealing the Heart of Gold or that guy in Total Recall. 

Is Hannermom capable of pulling that off?  I think so.  Would Station find a way to foil her plans?  Possibly...  Or possibly he'd let all the humans die because he's jealous of her new life?

Nah, I think Station is a good guy.   

Moanerette

• Not quite a lurker

What a terrific comic. Beautifully set up by the serious strips prior. Kudos to Jeph for this one.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I thought the comic was leading up to a reintro of Beatrice. And for a brief instant, I thought it was her, there in the third tier. Now I am going to entertain the thought, until the comic proves otherwise, that the bald minion is a brain-altered Marten, kind of like what happened to Uncle Duke for a while in "Doonesbury."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Hanners looks disturbingly convincing as a Bond-villain mother's daughter. But the final panel suggests not so much a five-year-plan, so much as... a vision of the future? Is she a precog?
Yes.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Now I am going to entertain the thought, until the comic proves otherwise, that the bald minion is a brain-altered Marten,

At first I thought it was Mr. Clean.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Now I am going to entertain the thought, until the comic proves otherwise, that the bald minion is a brain-altered Marten,

At first I thought it was Mr. Clean.

Me too!

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yikes. Hanners is her mother's daughter after all!

"Join me Hannelore, and we shall rule the Galaxy Mother and Daughter!"

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Man, those cybernetic implants of Hanners really do have their downsides, don't they?

KOK

I just stumbled on Marten's wishes for the future

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2055

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, I just noticed that what Tai said after he Marten passed was almost in iambic pentameter. (Although I think I remember someone here telling me a while ago I was wrong about "hired" being two syllables, something I still disagree with.)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

At first (before chairspin) I thought we were on a random hannermom comic. I guess I was half right.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Ha, I just noticed that what Tai said after he Marten passed was almost in iambic pentameter. (Although I think I remember someone here telling me a while ago I was wrong about "hired" being two syllables, something I still disagree with.)

It's only one syllable south of the Mason-Dixon line.   

As in, "Man, I'm Tired" (Man, I'm TAHR'D). 

"You're hired" (Yer HAHR'D) (not to be confused with, "You're hard!")

Even so, there can be a trailing syllable in iambic pentameter, since it's not a full iamb (keeping it short of a hexameter).  There are several examples throughout the bard's works. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hanners really has a hard time keeping those unpleasant thoughts at bay, doesn't she? 

"Kill all the witnesses"

"Kill 'em with a knife"

I'd link, but who has time?  I shouldn't even be in here...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I think it's "Kill your friends, kill them with a knife"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up