THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would be the length of Deathmole's first concert?

30 seconds before Hanners runs off in fright.
- 4 (5.3%)
3 and a half minutes before they get booed off for no lyrics.
- 4 (5.3%)
Maybe they get through the first song.
- 2 (2.7%)
15 to 17 minutes, tops.
- 3 (4%)
20 minutes, including an epic guitar solo with Marten.
- 3 (4%)
30 minutes, including dueling guitar vs. bass with Marten and Amir.
- 7 (9.3%)
A full hour - Hannelore goes NUTS on the drums!
- 30 (40%)
They play covers the rest of the night .
- 4 (5.3%)
Zero. They're never going to play live.
- 10 (13.3%)
Never say never!
- 1 (1.3%)
Waffles and Guitars!
- 1 (1.3%)
Spathe Ham and Drums!
- 0 (0%)
Opening Act: Emily and the Whirled Peas!
- 2 (2.7%)
More Claire bonding with Faye and Dora!
- 3 (4%)
MOAR PINTSIZEEEE!!!!
- 1 (1.3%)
Pics of Roswell snacking on Yelling Bird!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2445-2449 (13-17 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 64874 times)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

(moderator)
Please, not the t-slur, even though it was in quotes. "Trans fetishist" would communicate just the same thought. There's probably an even better term.
(/moderator)

There is apparently no better terms with the use of third gender nouns or phrases period, given the way some people take certain words for good or bad. But I digress.....

Much as we ridicule Marten for his love life, there has actually been a reasonable run of women chasing him: Dora, Cosette, and Padma.
Claire chasing him would be too simple to be funny. Maybe she's going to ask him for advice about adopting an AnthroPC because she's so impressed with Pintsize.
I do not recall the name of the trope, but it's a recurring theme in comedy that a character who is allegedly odd and homely and hard up for companionship gets a suspiciously large amount of it. Leonard from Big Bang Theory or Alan from Two and a Half Men for example, to cite the Chuck Lorre abuse of it.

Unlucky Everydude. I doubt he is a Generic Guy or whatever TV tropes lists him as.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Right now I'm picturing Dora standing over Faye with her foot on Faye's neck wearing pink fuzzy bunny slippers.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The foot-fetishist's equivalent of the iron hand in the velvet glove?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

More like in the Fuzzy Bunny Slippers of Authority....

Re Marten/Claire

You know, the "Fuzzy Bunny Slipper of Authority" woud make a great name for a pirate vessel...
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I check OotS one a month or so, because checking any more frequently is a recipe for insanity.
What OotS is to 3.5ed, so is Schlock Mercenary to Traveller.

The main protagonist looks like a particularly foetid bowel motion from an elderly elephant that's over-indulged. His personality matches.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

There's an Xzibit meme in there somewhere...

Similarly:

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Re Marten/Claire

(click to show/hide)

So you're saying... the situation is precarious? I don't quite get the analogy.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

So you're saying... the situation is precarious? I don't quite get the analogy.
More a case of some serious shipping. Ships on ships on ships on ships...

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Ah. ok. :P

though at this point its hard NOT to ship those two :P

Swedish Chef

• Plantmonster
  • Lurk lurk lurk!

Voted Others:

Shelby

Just to see him with a cap on, head on a paw and watching the countryside.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Zoe, I wasn't referring to the OotS's story or quality, I was just referring to its update schedule. And isn't Shebly a girl?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

My approach to dealing with OoTS's update schedule is to stick it in Tiny Tiny RSS (along with most of the other webcomics I follow). When it updates, it shows up in my unread feeds.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

My favourite comics
  • QC
  • Nemi (I'm going to marry Nemi when I grow up)
  • Girls with Slingshots
  • Leftover Soup
  • Groovy, Kinda
  • Cochlea and Eustachia
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

• Nemi (I'm going to marry Nemi when I grow up)

Nemi, of course, will never grow up. :-P

Cpt. Slowloader

• Not quite a lurker

More like in the Fuzzy Bunny Slippers of Authority....

Re Marten/Claire

You know, the "Fuzzy Bunny Slipper of Authority" woud make a great name for a pirate vessel...

Honestly, the first thing I thought when I saw this was "Ahhh, serious shipping, I get it."

The second thing was "More like Fuzzy Bunny Slipper of Port Authority"

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

edited this because I need to stop.
Also, hi new person!
« Last Edit: 13 May 2013, 06:55 by Masterpiece »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I've heard of the term "tranny chasers," but Claire going after Marten is a whole new experience for me. Or whatever.

I am not quite sure why Claire going after someone would be a new experience? Trans folk want love too you know. And Marten has been very cool about the whole trans situation the whole time. Plus he's cute. That's even assuming Claire is planning to ask him out here... Which really just seems way to easy. This seems to much like a ship-tease to me. :)

It has actually been long established that the college in town is 'Smif College', which is based on Smith College.  So yeah, having Claire attending the college, and having her been there for years now seems either incredibly timely, or a jab at their admissions policy...

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Although the other part of Dora's statement was much more interesting than the mental image - beer and pizza at work!

I recommend something crisp to offset the spicyness of the pepperoni.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

We're jumping several guns here. All we know for sure is that Claire appears to want to hang out with Marten, and that he's not around to do it. Thus setting up a way for Claire to hang out with Faye and Dora. Possible outcomes that I can see:

1. Claire either accidentally or deliberately outs herself to Faye and Dora.

2. Faye and Dora decide that Marten and Claire would make a cute couple, and start trying to set them up.

3. Both 1 and 2. Hey, why not?

4. Claire winds up with a job at CoD. Nobody is quite sure how this happened.

5. The Pintsize version: Marten walks in on a drunken threesome.

6. While you were typing, several species of Amazonian tree frog went extinct. You bastard.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

They've had pizza at work before (delivered by Pizza Girl). That was the day that proto-Angus had his first lines.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

6. While you were typing, several species of Amazonian tree frog went extinct. You bastard.

It's alright - bastards had it coming.

CleoKat

• Not quite a lurker

They've had pizza at work before (delivered by Pizza Girl). That was the day that proto-Angus had his first lines.

Oh, oh! I want Pizza Girl! Oh god, I want Pizza Girl to show up! Hmm... I could settle for Dale, I suppose but goddamnit I want costumes!

I'm really hoping for some Claire, Faye and Dora bonding, it would be nice to see Claire become a member of the group through more than just her connection with Marten. I'm in a friendshippy mood this week so the ships can stay in the habour. That includes you HMS Gunnerkrigg Court, you stay right where you are, I'm not getting lured on to you, no sir-ree bob. Nope.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

Someone should tell Veronica about fuzzy bunny slippers of authority. The people into that are probably an underserved market.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

underserved =/= undeserved, despite what my mind thinks my eyes are telling it. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The big news is that Marten is doing band stuff! For hours at a time!

Wait until Hannelore realizes she can take charge and that if she sets a practice schedule Marten will meekly go along with it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

5. The Pintsize version: Marten walks in on a drunken threesome.

Not this one.   The way people over-analyze anything related to Trans on this forum...  We'll end up with massive server malfunctions.  The database will IMPLODE.   The red-text will flow like water blood.   PEOPLE MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING.

Not on my watch folks.   Move along now.  Good day.   :police:

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

I just want to say I'm really diggin' Dora's red lipstick/black hair/tanktop combo. That's all.

With regards to the poll, I initially answered Faye, just because the cast is big enough to the point where it could, THEORETICALLY, function very well without Marten, but Faye also is his roommate and the yin to his yang, or vice-versa, and he really can't operate without her. But really, I'd be most surprised and disappointed if Hanners left. I love Hanners, and she's clearly the favorite of a lot of people.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

On eyes- Lots of people with green and blue eyes have them change based on what they wear, lighting, hormones (as mentioned), and other things.

On Dora, Faye, pizza, and beer/Zebediah's list- I kind of hope Claire doesn't out herself to Dora/Faye, for two reasons. If she does when they're drinking and pizzaing, she might get not taken seriously, shock them too much (making them just like "whoa, holy" instead of "oh! okay."), or something else. The other reason is that I fin it nice for her to just be a girl, not a transwoman, and keeping the other characters thinking of her that way would be best. Of course Marten and Clinton see her as female, but I imagine that with more people knowing will come at least someone who sees her just as trans. Could be one of Dora or Faye (unintentionally, of course), or someone else who either gets told by Claire or someone who slips up.
(also, why isn't Penny in? Pizza is being ordered, this is her chance!)

I'm surprised that there's less speculation of why she's looking for Marten. I'm also curious if she's going to hang out or be discouraged by his lack of existing (probably not, since she stayed for the "argument")

westrim

Penny is working her second job as a pizza delivery person.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Penny is working her second job as a pizza delivery person.

She could be doing both! Slip out the bathroom window while they wait for the pizza or something. But my point was more that it was her chance to prove she wasn't pizza girl (not that she hasn't had other ones).

CleoKat

• Not quite a lurker

On eyes- Lots of people with green and blue eyes have them change based on what they wear, lighting, hormones (as mentioned), and other things.

On Dora, Faye, pizza, and beer/Zebediah's list- I kind of hope Claire doesn't out herself to Dora/Faye, for two reasons. If she does when they're drinking and pizzaing, she might get not taken seriously, shock them too much (making them just like "whoa, holy" instead of "oh! okay."), or something else. The other reason is that I fin it nice for her to just be a girl, not a transwoman, and keeping the other characters thinking of her that way would be best. Of course Marten and Clinton see her as female, but I imagine that with more people knowing will come at least someone who sees her just as trans. Could be one of Dora or Faye (unintentionally, of course), or someone else who either gets told by Claire or someone who slips up.

I'm surprised that there's less speculation of why she's looking for Marten. I'm also curious if she's going to hang out or be discouraged by his lack of existing (probably not, since she stayed for the "argument")

I whole heartedly support this comment for two reasons. One, I don't want Claire to feel like she has to tell people because otherwise she's 'hiding' something and in a way people have a 'right' to know. Faye and Dora would be totally cool, but whether Claire tells them or not is her perogative. Secondly, I like Claire being Claire without it being a trans-centric moment. That's definitely what Jeph is going for with Claire so I completely expect pizza and beers to be pizza and beers. More people will come to know, and react accordingly, but for now I think it's going to be happy times.

That being said... with regards to speculating about Marten I personally think she's there for advice about something. Maybe she likes someone or maybe she wants to talk to him about inviting Clinton to hangout with them more often because he's a misfit too. I don't know, but I think she'll end up getting (contradicting) advice from Dora and Faye (the more ridiculous depending on how drunk Faye gets) and maybe we'll hear Claire's five year plan.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

(click to show/hide)

I whole heartedly support this comment for two reasons. One, I don't want Claire to feel like she has to tell people because otherwise she's 'hiding' something and in a way people have a 'right' to know. Faye and Dora would be totally cool, but whether Claire tells them or not is her perogative. Secondly, I like Claire being Claire without it being a trans-centric moment. That's definitely what Jeph is going for with Claire so I completely expect pizza and beers to be pizza and beers. More people will come to know, and react accordingly, but for now I think it's going to be happy times.

That being said... with regards to speculating about Marten I personally think she's there for advice about something. Maybe she likes someone or maybe she wants to talk to him about inviting Clinton to hangout with them more often because he's a misfit too. I don't know, but I think she'll end up getting (contradicting) advice from Dora and Faye (the more ridiculous depending on how drunk Faye gets) and maybe we'll hear Claire's five year plan.

I hope your idea is right because I think that would be great (particularly what I've emphasized). She also might just want to apologize for making a scene at the library (which she didn't, but she could interpret it that way).

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

4. Claire winds up with a job at CoD. Nobody is quite sure how this happened.

When CoD hires old employees start disappearing. You don't want Hanners to vanish...do you?

I am not quite sure why Claire going after someone would be a new experience?

Snuggle stress seems to point at it. It's not 100% of course and that doesn't mean she hasn't dated, but it comes off as she hasn't dated any straight guys as a girl.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It has actually been long established that the college in town is 'Smif College', which is based on Smith College.  So yeah, having Claire attending the college, and having her been there for years now seems either incredibly timely, or a jab at their admissions policy...

Do we know which college Claire attends? The library where she is an intern need not have any (other) affiliation with her college.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure they're all grad students at Smif. If anything, the shirt confirms it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well the wiki page has her listed on the students page for Smif. Given that it's the college in town and she is an intern at the school library for the library studies course... The connection is strong. I don't think it's every been outright said that she goes to college there though, just very likely and assumed.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well it's one of five in the area. I was going to make up names for the other four, but then I realize they've mentioned the town of Amherst (which covers Amherst College and UMass) and Hampshire College so it wouldn't work that well. Oh well, might as well have some fun. The five colleges are:

Smif College
Hamerst College and UMass Hamerst (pronounced the same as Amherst, since the h is still silent)
Hempshire (easy yet apt joke, couldn't resist)
Mt. Holy Oak

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Eep! I think this is one of the times when the wiki asserts something without a link to back it up.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Jeph made a comment (sorry, I have no source) about his disappointment about the real Smith not allowing transwomen, so I think we can assume she goes to Smif and also that it's better than Smith.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Wait, wait, wait. That's not actually Coffee of Doom! The blackboard is completely blank. Where are the humorous "specials"?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Wait, wait, wait. That's not actually Coffee of Doom! The blackboard is completely blank. Where are the humorous "specials"?

Back on tour.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

</end_thread>
(Hands Mr_Rose the keys)

"Good night, everyone! Drive safely!"
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You know the trope: "Put On A Bus". Who'd be the most SURPRISING Bus Rider of the QC cast?

Marten    22 (30.6%)
Faye    5 (6.9%)
Dora    4 (5.6%)
Pintsize    2 (2.8%)
Hannelore    21 (29.2%) <== Neck-and-neck with Marten.
Tai    0 (0%)
Marigold    3 (4.2%)
Angus    2 (2.8%)
Momo    2 (2.8%)
Emily    1 (1.4%)
The Field (Some of whom are already "on the Bus")    0 (0%)
Bus Waffles?    1 (1.4%)
Whirled Peas Bus Lines!    5 (6.9%)
Other (Please state)    4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Never mind.

Move along, nothing to read here.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

New comic!

Could it be a reference to this strip:-D

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

[...] I'm really hoping for some Claire, Faye and Dora bonding [...]

I'm trying to shoehorn a Pokemon joke in here. That sounds too close to Clefairy to pass up. ClairFayRa?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Yeah I think the new set up will work out just fine for Deathmole.

Warning - while you were typing a couple hundred people died. You may wish to review your pathetic existance.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Exactly the one I was thinking of, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to find it.

What does it mean that the Pugnacious Peach was so civil to Claire?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I don't remember her being particularly uncivil to Claire... assuming Marten didn't tell Faye and Dora about the two of them talking about the whole drunken snuggles thing, Faye may figure that Claire knows and is looking to talk to Martin about that... or she's just being pleasant with to a friend of her best friend that she knows. Not like the interns haven't been getting coffee from the Peach and the world's perkiest non-goth for awhile now.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Then they're not being treated like customers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up