THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Everybody Loves Science!  (Read 113505 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Everybody Loves Science!
« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:21 »

Now that is awesome. Hey, does anyone know what happens if you go into warp on the surface of a planet?

....Hold on, I'll ask Randall Munroe.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2014, 06:38 »

Actually that's an interesting question. It's space that's being warped, so it's a question of how much that distortion might damage what's around it...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #152 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:31 »

Aren't you warping the space-time field, rather than warping space?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #153 on: 12 Jun 2014, 10:24 »

Is there a difference?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #154 on: 12 Jun 2014, 10:50 »

I don't know. I think I was trying to sound smart.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #155 on: 13 Jun 2014, 12:48 »

A visualisation of an asteroid's path of orbit which nearly collided with the Earth and Moon in 2003.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #156 on: 13 Jun 2014, 13:15 »

^ Believed to be the third stage of the Apollo 12 mission.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #157 on: 14 Jun 2014, 01:23 »

I know I've posted it before, but it's just so fucking cool
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #158 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:21 »

Now that is awesome. Hey, does anyone know what happens if you go into warp on the surface of a planet?

....Hold on, I'll ask Randall Munroe.

Ask Zoe Washburne. "Won't that cause a blowback, burn us out?"
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #159 on: 15 Jun 2014, 08:00 »

Pluto might be back in as a planet!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #160 on: 15 Jun 2014, 10:53 »

Source? All I can find is an article published on April 1st...
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 20 Jun 2014, 14:10 »

I significantly prefer this version to the original.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #163 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:14 »

I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:54 »

I'm studying the basics of genetics with Khan Academy and I am confused. If the O allele in blood types is recessive, how come O+ is the most common blood group? Is this only true in the UK? I'm assuming that if so, it's for the same reason that blonde hair and blue eyes are common here despite both of those things being recessive traits?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #165 on: 18 Jul 2014, 14:18 »

Give us time!  (I'm type A+) 

The A and B alleles showed up in Eastern Europe and Western Asia, respectively.  They were most common in those regions with O predominating everywhere else until there was more migration and genetic mixing. 

Also, O type is the absence of those alleles.  It will decline in the general population over many generations, but it's still a majority for now. 

And it seems there's a genetic or immune advantage to O type blood - type O mothers have more type O children than their partner's type when paired with either type A or B mates, indicating something's going on before birth, possible before embryo implantation, maybe even before fertilization that reduces the number of children with the alleles.  That makes the reduction of type O slower, but won't arrest it completely. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #166 on: 18 Jul 2014, 14:40 »

Hey, that neatly coincides with This Ars Technica article about blood types.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #167 on: 19 Jul 2014, 01:46 »

Thank you, both - that's fascinating and informative, and sets me up well for today's two hours of studying blood!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #168 on: 19 Jul 2014, 08:05 »

LTK, thanks for finding a halfway decent reference.  I gathered my info from a half dozen sites, most of it coming from comments by scientists on articles that were less informed, which is why I didn't reference them. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #169 on: 04 Aug 2014, 12:37 »

MinuteEarth on bats and deadly virulent diseases:

GarandMarine

• Awakened

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #171 on: 17 Sep 2014, 17:49 »

my reaction to this video:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #172 on: 18 Sep 2014, 14:16 »

That is the only reasonable reaction one can have. Anyway, that's a great channel, thanks for sharing!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #174 on: 30 Sep 2014, 14:25 »

Awesome. So I guess now we better start naming all the identifiable objects in the asteroid belt and the Kuiper belt too, since by that definition, every single one of them is a planet.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #176 on: 01 Oct 2014, 09:00 »

Wow. It's not really valid to imply a connection between a cooperation or mirror test to Theory of Mind, though I can see where they're coming from, but trying to connect Theory of Mind to spiritual beliefs is a stretch only Mr. Fantastic could do.

An example of an experiment testing Theory of Mind is this. You can scroll down to the appendix which contains little story snippets and questions to assess different levels of Theory of Mind. For example, in the first question, it is stated that Bobby keeps his chocolate in the cupboard, but when he's away, his mother takes it and puts it in her bag. The question is, when Bobby returns, where does he look for the chocolate?

I recall that they tested this in chimpanzees by putting one in a room with two people, one of whom the chimp saw hiding food in a location inaccessible to it, and another person who did not see this. They saw that the chimp would beg for food with the person who knows about the hidden food and ignore the other person, which suggests it has Theory of Mind. That says precisely diddly squat about whether chimps can have religious beliefs, though.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #177 on: 01 Oct 2014, 09:20 »

I think the idea of that episode originally was if religion is a strictly human thing or if Aliens (provided they exist) could have religion too.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #178 on: 13 Oct 2014, 16:13 »

Welp, we've got another one: Cold fusion of nickel and hydrogen appears to have been achieved. Think this'll be the one?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #179 on: 13 Oct 2014, 16:15 »

Think this'll be the one?

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #180 on: 13 Oct 2014, 19:25 »

I've read about Andrea Rossi and his inventions in Popular Mechanics about a year or two ago.  His previous legal troubles paint the image of a con artist.

It's hard to deny that the E-Cat produces energy, but a nuclear reaction would produce gamma rays.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 14 Oct 2014, 21:09 »

The new NASA space craft will be launching this December for it's unmanned test flight.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #182 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:20 »

If only your name could collect frequent flyer miles. NASA is inviting the public to send their names on a microchip to destinations beyond low-Earth orbit, including Mars.

Your name will begin its journey on a dime-sized microchip when the agency’s Orion spacecraft launches Dec. 4 on its first flight, designated Exploration Flight Test-1. After a 4.5 hour, two-orbit mission around Earth to test Orion’s systems, the spacecraft will travel back through the atmosphere at speeds approaching 20,000 mph and temperatures near 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean.

But the journey for your name doesn’t end there. After returning to Earth, the names will fly on future NASA exploration flights and missions to Mars. With each flight, selected individuals will accrue more miles as members of a global space-faring society.

"NASA is pushing the boundaries of exploration and working hard to send people to Mars in the future,” said Mark Geyer, Orion Program manager. "When we set foot on the Red Planet, we’ll be exploring for all of humanity. Flying these names will enable people to be part of our journey."

The deadline for receiving a personal “boarding pass” on Orion’s test flight closes Friday Oct. 31. The public will have an opportunity to keep submitting names beyond Oct. 31 to be included on future test flights and future NASA missions to Mars.

To submit your name to fly on Orion’s flight test, visit:

http://go.usa.gov/vcpz