THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 17:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everybody Loves Science!  (Read 114011 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Everybody Loves Science!
« Reply #300 on: 08 Jan 2020, 06:30 »

The Radcliffe Wave, a new thing discovered in our galaxy. It sounds pretty cool!

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/01/largest-gaseous-structure-ever-seen-in-our-galaxy-is-discovered/

The yellow spot is our sun, the red dots are the wave

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #301 on: 01 Mar 2020, 00:26 »

Cataline Sky Survey team informs the species it is no longer appropriate to refer to the moon:

https://twitter.com/WierzchosKacper/status/1232460436634656769?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Welcome, mini-moon!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #302 on: 01 Mar 2020, 23:45 »

Cataline Sky Survey team informs the species it is no longer appropriate to refer to the moon:

https://twitter.com/WierzchosKacper/status/1232460436634656769?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Welcome, mini-moon!

It still is the moon. We just have more than one... for now.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #303 on: 02 Mar 2020, 00:09 »

I would argue that we have another natural satellite. Whether that constitutes a "moon" is a different matter.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #304 on: 02 Mar 2020, 07:03 »

Just because someone has to say it:  "That's no moon".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #305 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:43 »

As long as it isn't a space-station...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
« Reply #306 on: 19 Mar 2020, 19:14 »

The point is that math is so freaking specialized that, unless you're one of the two or three people in the world working directly on a particular problem, you're going to have a rough time understanding any of it! 
There seems to be hidden in this statement an essence that is true, but the statement is not exact. The true essense is that most Mathematicians
can walk into the library, pull out a mathematical journal, flip to the table of contents, and have absolutely no idea what 95% of it is about!"
But there is a certain quality, a temperament or even lifestyle, or maybe merely a set of principles regarding how one conducts one's intellectual affairs, which is conducive to working well in Mathematics, that has, mainly, to do with how one approaches the Unknown. It is precisely how one approaches the Unknown which is important, for Mathematics is, foremost, an enterprise dealing with the Unknown, in such a way that moves each part of what was the Unknown that it had touched quickly into the Known. (Affirmators abound, of things of the Known.) Some are not so able to send it to the Known, so they send it as near to the Known as they can, whence lesser avanteurs send it nearer to the Known; eventually, it is sufficiently near the Known that nonavanteous intellects may take it whither they need it. Don't worry much about not understanding something, you can always pause to ponder; some fun courses:
(F. Wiliam Lawvere, Stephen H. Schanuel) Conceptual Mathematics; (Donald Knuth) Concrete Mathematics;
(Étienne Ghys) Dimentions, Chaos; (Brit Cruise) Informatics, Cryptography;
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 07:34 by TorporChambre »
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up