THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Future has arrived  (Read 15756 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: The Future has arrived
« Reply #100 on: 01 May 2013, 15:28 »

Well, funny you should mention that J, apparently a friend of mine in the Bay area has just filed for patents on RFID tagged sex toys.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zingoleb

« Reply #101 on: 02 May 2013, 02:40 »

i was talking about vibrating cock implants earlier

and the guy i've been talking to has told me he has plans to do the first one this summer

and tonight i just realised that with this information i can very, very accurately pinpoint the day the future will have arrived in my life.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #102 on: 02 May 2013, 02:46 »

Could you even get a patent for that? I mean, I know you can't really tell us the details, but would you not need a bit more than

Code: [Select]
                     ___
                   / o o \
                  |   c   |
                   \__-__/
                _   --|-- 
               |_|_/     \_===D

NOW KISS!

to get a patent?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #103 on: 02 May 2013, 05:12 »

Unicorn: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee so awesome
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #104 on: 02 May 2013, 18:31 »

i was talking about vibrating cock implants earlier

and the guy i've been talking to has told me he has plans to do the first one this summer

and tonight i just realised that with this information i can very, very accurately pinpoint the day the future will have arrived in my life.
It might be closer to the end of my future. But I might not mind.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

mtmerrick

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #107 on: 21 May 2013, 09:42 »

more like a small step into the future: Tesla

It looks very interesting.  Does anyone have an electric car?  Anyone have any opinions on the whole electric thing?

Somehow I feel there will be a lot of overly manly chest pounding on how electric cars are wimpy...or south park smug....
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #108 on: 21 May 2013, 10:32 »

Electric cars open up options. We can substitute different forms of electricity generation once the fleet is electrified.

The performance is already there. Floorboard a Tesla roadster and you will know this viscerally.

We'll need gasoline backup for a long time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #109 on: 21 May 2013, 11:14 »

I like the idea of electric cars, but do question the overall benefit to the environment when you take into account manufacturing and disposal. I have no data either way, unfortunately. There's also the whole thing about producing the electric energy in the first place, though I imagine large power stations are more efficient than small engines.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #110 on: 21 May 2013, 13:46 »

Electric cars are silent, sneaky motherfuckers.

You don't realize how much you rely on your sense of hearing to judge traffic until you are shocked by that car that seemingly came out from nowhere, because you failed to hear it.

The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #111 on: 21 May 2013, 13:53 »

I like the idea of electric cars, but do question the overall benefit to the environment when you take into account manufacturing and disposal. I have no data either way, unfortunately. There's also the whole thing about producing the electric energy in the first place, though I imagine large power stations are more efficient than small engines.

It's not just manufacturing and disposal that's important here. If a sustainable future is our goal, improvements have to be made in EVERY aspect of the energy chain. That means we need more efficient and environmentally sound generators, transportation that does NOT actually loses 20% of energy to the air, a much more advanced distribution system and appliances that use practically no energy in standby and all the energy it needs and nothing more when in use.

Electronic cars are interesting because they could act as a theoretical energy storage when they are in park. Nowadays electricity plants have to continue working in the night, but their output is not used, because it costs more to turn off the plants at night and turn them back on during the day. That is literally 8 hours of energy production that is left unused. If cars would be used to store that energy during the night (as most cars are not used during the day), that would make energy plants a whole lot more efficient.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 21 May 2013, 14:03 »

Oh, indeed. They were just the first two things that came to mind. Some surplus energy is used to store water behind dams, though I don't know how much that accounts for.

I once got into a bit of an argument with my Environmental Studies (not a airy-fairy as it sounds as it happens; I took it as a filler subject and ended up loving it) about energy storage and what types of energy could be stored. I said kinetic (e.g. flywheels), thermal (molten salt) and electrical (capacitors) could be stored, but the exam said they couldn't. >:(

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #113 on: 21 May 2013, 14:24 »

Things that disturb me when they pop up in a Facebook ad: "Minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery". The mental image of Pintsize in a surgical mask makes me doubt how "minimally invasive" it's actually going to be.

But still, it wasn't that long ago that robot-assisted surgery was pure science fiction. Isaac Asimov wrote an interesting story about it called "The Segregationist".
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #114 on: 21 May 2013, 14:40 »

I once got into a bit of an argument with my Environmental Studies (not a airy-fairy as it sounds as it happens; I took it as a filler subject and ended up loving it) about energy storage and what types of energy could be stored. I said kinetic (e.g. flywheels), thermal (molten salt) and electrical (capacitors) could be stored, but the exam said they couldn't. >:(
Maybe they were asking the wrong question: Can they be stored indefinitely? Friction and heat dissipation aren't really things that gravitational or chemical energy storage have to worry about. Are there any drawbacks that the storage types you mentioned can overcome that compensates for their gradual energy loss?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #115 on: 21 May 2013, 14:42 »

Wtf is gravitational energy storage?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #116 on: 21 May 2013, 14:47 »

Pumping water to a higher area, therefore giving it a higher potential energy.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #117 on: 21 May 2013, 14:49 »

Oh. Okay. That makes sense. Thanks.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #118 on: 21 May 2013, 15:30 »

I was going to tell you to put a cup on a high shelf, thereby storing gravitational energy in the cup, but then the forum had a seizure.  :x
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #119 on: 21 May 2013, 15:31 »

working fine here

mtmerrick

« Reply #120 on: 21 May 2013, 17:24 »

Things that disturb me when they pop up in a Facebook ad: "Minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery". The mental image of Pintsize in a surgical mask makes me doubt how "minimally invasive" it's actually going to be.

But still, it wasn't that long ago that robot-assisted surgery was pure science fiction. Isaac Asimov wrote an interesting story about it called "The Segregationist".
I'd take robotic surgery or robotic assisted surgery over pure human surgery any day. So much faster,  easier,  and safer.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #121 on: 21 May 2013, 17:27 »

Yeah, about that... do you ever think about who programmed the robot?

mtmerrick

« Reply #122 on: 21 May 2013, 17:36 »

So? Is the best tool for the job.

Also, that won't be an issue for much longer. Google displayed self-creating code at I/O. It's damn impressive.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #123 on: 21 May 2013, 23:43 »

I was going to tell you to put a cup on a high shelf, thereby storing gravitational energy in the cup, but then the forum had a seizure.  :x

Yeah, I've no idea what the seizure was; I don't recall any previous one like it. 

As for storing electricity as potential energy, there's nothing futuristic about that; I remember studying the design of a plant that was doing that in the mountains of Wales in the 1960s (in particular the blade profiles for reversible pump/turbine usage).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #124 on: 22 May 2013, 08:35 »

Upstate Michigan has one about 40 years old operated by the state's two largest utilities, located near the Lake Michigan shore with a peak output of 1,872 megawatts.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 22 May 2013, 11:14 »

the forum had a seizure.  :x

Yeah, I've no idea what the seizure was; I don't recall any previous one like it.

Starting last night, the CloudFlare caching service has performance problems in their London site, affecting UK users; the symptoms are slow and erratic loading of pages, and sometimes complete timeouts.  There has been some improvement this evening, but the problem is not yet resolved.  No one outside the UK should be affected by this, so it's odd that LTK noticed it because their Amsterdam site has been fully operational throughout.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #126 on: 22 May 2013, 18:27 »

Could've just been their ISP...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #127 on: 22 May 2013, 19:26 »

Meantime, I'll just keep feeding the giant Hamster down in Engineering
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up