Advanced search  

Poll

In a QC band you must:

Wear ear-protection.
Keep your cock in.
Assume ridiculous rock poses.
Twitch like a Tool video.
Pop the biggest boner.
Have wykkid bitchin' bloodstains on your guitar.
Be a math major to rokk.
Wear sunglasses indoors.
Turn your amps up to eleven.
Something else.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2450-2454 (20-24 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 58809 times)

Valérie

• Not quite a lurker

To me it seemed like Angus was about to blurt out a proposal.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

I was about to say that Marten was as likely to coldcock someone successfully as a manatee.

Then I remembered the monks.

And I quote.  "Now we're even.   Bitch."

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I can see how it COULD have maybe headed that way,  but certainly now with what jeph is doing now.

Anyways I think a character getting hitched is very unlikely. A proposal from Angus would lead to a breakup, I'd think.

And I don't think anyone here actually WANTS that to happen.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

And I don't think anyone here actually WANTS that to happen.

I think there are some posters who would like to see Angus disappear. Some of them reappear at the prospect of the tiniest bit of friction between and Faye and Angus. Just watch.

I'm not talking about the kind of pleasurable friction that you can adjust to fit your needs and taste by lube, applied when/if necessary.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Yeah down with that Angus guy!

Marten and Faye fornever

just kidding I don't ship that way

But seriously, probably leading to an argument where someone will blurt out something and they will either be stronger for it or take a break.
Hurp

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I was going to say "Nice ... " but I'll settle for "Interesting" to see Angus in an attitude other than amusedly manipulative. Young Mister McPhee even appears to be a bit flustered.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Sorry Faye, but I'm with Angus on this one. At the very least, let him plead his case!

Is a break up in the works? Over that? Depends on whether Faye does let Angus explain himself, or whether she just launches a Marten/Dora-class Anti-Shipping torpedo.

"All batteries loaded and ready to fire, Cap'n. Just say the word..."

Personally, do I want another breakup to happen? No, not really. But then, who knows how long Jeph has been planning this one?
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I honestly don't think there's a breakup coming. If you go back and read through the archives, you'll notice plenty of warning signs with Marten and Dora - they were fighting often, and always on variations of the same issue. There have been no equivalent warning signs with Angus and Faye. For Angus to simply dump Faye now would be way too out of the blue.

I don't have any idea where Jeph is taking this, but if it's towards a breakup I think it's going to be a very long and bumpy road.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Faye is going to be put on a bus, duhhh

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I agree with Zebediah; I don't see this being a breakup issue - Faye and Angus often spark on disagreements, but it's not always the same argument again and again.

I do think that Faye is taking a rather militant approach to this conversation, though. Her body language and tone is of someone who's been betrayed (hello trust issues), as if Angus had lied or hidden something from her, when in fact he had been fairly open about it last night - not blatant, but definitely open. It's just that Faye has only just understood his subtext, and seems to be reading that as a deception, and thus panicking.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Faye is going to be put on a bus, duhhh

That wouldn't break my heart if I'm honest.

Her character deveklopment often seems 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I hope that Angus isn't too conditioned to lose arguments that he can't hold his own with Faye

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

^ made me laugh

TheEvilDog

One thing to remember - Angus and Faye are not Marten and Dora. Their relationship is different.
I doubt anyone thinks that Angus and Faye are going to break up, but they do really need to talk (And by talk, I mean Faye needs to stop interrupting Angus when he's trying to say something).
At the moment, I think Angus is more of the  "If I do go for this, it could end up changing things for us and I wanted to know what you might have thought, but I didn't want to say it outright because it might have freaked you out so I tried a roundabout way of asking which doesn't seem to have worked" approach.

funnyginman

Last panel reminds me of Maniac Mansion.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person! I hadn't thought of that.

Jeph said once that none of the characters were remotely ready to make a marriage work. On the other hand, that was years ago, and whether a marriage would work has nothing to do with whether someone proposes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Also, just because none of them are ready doesn't mean that they know they aren't ready.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Random832

Quote from: Skewbrow link=topic=28977.msg1158625#msg=1368952275
I think so, too. But I don't get the insertion of 'Y'. Is it not more like "be-unk-ee" (if I managed to correctly interpret the rules of this game)?

It's implied when you go from an "ee" vowel to any other vowel - it's an artifact of how English phonology works.

This kind of notational difficulty is why we should all be using IPA.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Last panel reminds me of Maniac Mansion.

Welcome, another new person!

My thoughts about the new comic:

Quote from: Faye
Angus, you don't have to MOVE AWAY just to go to an AUDITION.

Quote from: Claire
are you kind of dumb?

Also, I hadn't noticed until after the punchline that she was cutting him off at literally every sentence.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

we should all be using IPA.
Take it to the beer thread :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I understand IPA use in official texts, but for informal discussion I prefer just using regular letters.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i do find myself disliking Faye more and more. as i read from the beginning over again, i did like her character more, but as time's gone on (e.g. after the Sven Fiasco) i've gone off her, i suppose. this whole altercation makes her come across as very selfish to me :( it's a shame because i did like her and relationship troubles are never fun to read (they often show the darker sides of each character) but she's really coming across as a major asshole here, cutting off all of Angus' sentences..

maybe Jeph will redeem her, but that's just my opinion. i don't really want them to break up, but at the same time i sort of do. it's all very confusing.  :psyduck:
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

My thoughts about the new comic:

Quote from: Faye
Angus, you don't have to MOVE AWAY just to go to an AUDITION.

Quote from: Claire
are you kind of dumb?

It is possible Faye is stricken with chronic kind-of-dumbness. Caught the virus from Raven, maybe.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

There's probably medication for that.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Loki

• comeback tour!

If there isn't, I assume they are working on the technology.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

This kind of notational difficulty is why we should all be using IPA.
Decoding IPA takes so long that by the time you've done it, you've forgotten the question. Using it to explain how Chinese words should be pronounced is very painful. It's simpler to write in hanzi and have the other person drop the characters into Google Translate's text-to-speech feature which is greatly improved.

I don't think Faye is being selfish, much less a "major asshole". She's just suffering from delayed-realisation shock after her coffee-shop epiphany. And needs to shut up for a minute.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And needs to learn how to recognize and head off her reaction to things that trigger her abandonment fears.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

I am with Akima here on this one.  I can;t help but feel that Faye may have (foot in mouth) slighted Angus though and not just with cutting him off.  As if to say "we dont have to move for an audition" because he could actually get the job.  What if he does?  to the LDR thread!  :wink:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

She's still in emotional reaction mode, give her a moment to calm down before judging her too harshly. 

I'd like to see her get a little less self-centered though.  Even though it's an issue of Angus not being quite as open with her she's still stuck in "What about my feelings?" it seems to me. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

thats why I said foot in mouth.  I dont think she is trying to come off the way people are saying or slight him but when two people argue its hard to tell what someone sees/hears
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

So trolls live under bridges now?  I was certain those were sex offenders.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Rational discussion (even if Billygoats gruff are discussed) - no breakup yet. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

westrim

So trolls live under bridges now?  I was certain those were sex offenders.
The reference the comic makes is to The Three Billygoats Gruff.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Oh dear
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DominicDLS

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • It's more trouble than it's worth.

Aw, does this mean Fay and Angus AREN'T going to have to make a hasty decision they'll later come to regret?

I was hoping for some post-move relationship trauma, myself.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Aw, does this mean Fay and Angus AREN'T going to have to make a hasty decision they'll later come to regret?

I was hoping for some post-move relationship trauma, myself.

Someone might get knocked up, yet.  It's only Tuesday.   

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Pugnacious Peach has the defenses needed to live in NYC. It might be good for her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Cop Out.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Bridges? Trolls? Goats? I think I almost got the reference!

« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 02:21 by Soulsynger »
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Ah... Thanks for that.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Ah... Thanks for that.

Trolls, an iconic north European monster. 

And if Trollhunter is to be believed, can be defeated by a large sunlamp. 

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Loki

• comeback tour!

And if Trollhunter is to be believed, can be defeated by a large sunlamp.

Pff.
Your useless excuse for a third-year defense textbook will suggest to you that you expose the mountain troll to sunlight, which will freeze it in place. This, my young apprentices, is the sort of useless knowledge that you will never find on one of my exams. You do not encounter mountain trolls in open daylight! The idea that you should use sunlight to stop them is the result of foolish textbook authors trying to show off their mastery of minutia at the expense of practicality. Just because there is a ridiculously obscure way of dealing with mountain trolls does not mean you should actually try to use it!

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Glad that Angus finally managed to point out to Faye that her worries are largely premature; he's only going for an audition and there is no guarantee he'll get the part. In fact with an open audition there will be much competition and the odds are heavily against him even having a chance.

On the other hand, I can't believe Jeph has introduced this bit of tension and angst just to drop it with a simple "Dang, I didn't get the part." so this is probably just the beginning. Faye gets to put off deciding whether or not she'll move, but she may not get to do so for long.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Even if he doesn't get the part, the seed will have been planted in Faye's mind.

She may one day have to make a choice.

That seems to me more interesting than having her presented with that choice soonish.  But hey, either would be mere background, and Jephzibah is quite capable of painting a good story on either background.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

It doesn't matter if he gets the part or not - surely Faye's concern is that he wants the part (or why's he bothering with an audition) and that means he seems to want something that could potentially take him away from her.

Saying he probably won't get it is not much consolation. However Faye should be more encouraged by his delicate enquiry as to her future plans (i.e. whether she'd countenance moving to NY) as that implies that if he goes, he wants her to come with him.

Whichever way it goes, this provides lots of opportunities for plot development. I wonder if Jeph has a master plan of which this is just the first step.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Random832

I'm actually confused by yesterday's comic. It's completely obvious that if he gets the job he would have to move, so "you don't have to move away just to go to an audition" implies she doesn't even consider that a possibility.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yes, and? I am not sure where you live but it appears to be some sort of utopia where everyone acts wholly rationally at all times and never gets confused or short-sighted through stress, if Faye, confronted with her lover potentially leaving, becoming slightly irrational is confusing you.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I'm actually confused by yesterday's comic. It's completely obvious that if he gets the job he would have to move, so "you don't have to move away just to go to an audition" implies she doesn't even consider that a possibility.

Okay, here is how I read it FWIW.

Faye walked into the conversation having by then come to the conclusion that Angus had already decided he wanted to move, and was just trying to break it to her (hence her opening question: "Why do you want to move to New York?").

When Angus showed her the audition advertisement, there were two possibilities for Faye. She could either:

1. Realise that her initial assumption was incorrect, and that actually he hadn't yet decided to move there (that would only happen in the remote chance that his audition was successful); OR
2. Wonder why the heck he'd made the decision to move just for an audition.

You wouldn't imagine that anyone would jump to the conclusion of #2 until you consider how difficult it can be for people in general to dislodge "truths" once they have been formed in their minds.

Re-read the comic with that in mind, and maybe it will make more sense.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Ah... Thanks for that.

Are fables such as this not universally known? I guess not, for admittedly I am unfamiliar with similar stories from Asia. And surely they exist!
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Loki

• comeback tour!

*cough* not everyone lives in UK.

I bet most people here aren't familiar with most of the tales of Andersen (apart from The Snow Queen, The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling) and Grimm, either.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

The story is actually Norwegian, though it's pretty ubiquitously known in the UK.

I had a similar thing happen to me recently, on another forum. One forummer had Mjöllnir as their avatar, and we were all very surprised when someone asked what it was, because it's one of the most famous symbols in European paganism. Then we remembered the asker was an Indian, and there was no reason he should know it, really. I guess it's just an example of how Eurocentric the internet can be, and we don't even realise it most of the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up