Advanced search  

Poll

In a QC band you must:

Wear ear-protection.
Keep your cock in.
Assume ridiculous rock poses.
Twitch like a Tool video.
Pop the biggest boner.
Have wykkid bitchin' bloodstains on your guitar.
Be a math major to rokk.
Wear sunglasses indoors.
Turn your amps up to eleven.
Something else.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2450-2454 (20-24 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 58787 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I bet most people here aren't familiar with most of the tales of Andersen and Grimm, either.

The two defining books of fairy tales of my childhood....  Add Aesop and Kipling's Just So stories and you're ready for life.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Trolls being even mor localized than just Europe - more of a north European/Germanic/Nordic monster. 

The Irish and the rest of the Celtic groups not haveing a similar beastie, nor the Mediterranean folk either.  Trolls as a monster type (about half way between men and giants in size, very hardy, very stupid and having a fondness for darkness and human flesh) seem to have traveled with the Vikings (or at least their stories).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

So trolls live under bridges now?  I was certain those were sex offenders.
No no, sex offenders live in a van down by the river.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I thought sex offenders live in ice cream trucks?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

I thought sex offenders live in ice cream trucks?

Vans handing out free candy actually.
Unless it's a free ice cream truck with 12 surveillance cameras and hands out papers from local progressive groups.
http://www.tacticalmagic.org/CTM/project%20pages/TICU.htm

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I assume most people on here know this, but afaik "stranger danger" is largely bullshit.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Yes, children are more likely to be harmed by people their parents know.  Or world-famous, knighted philanthropists.

The problem is that you can't go around distrusting everyone you trust, so there's essentially nothing you can do, and that's something no one wants to hear.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 12:59 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

The problem is that you can't go around distrusting everyone you trust,

Indeed. Otherwise, a tremendous paradox would ensue, possibly brining about the end of the universe.  :-D
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Loki

• comeback tour!

There are some who theorize this has already happened.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

possibly brining about the end of the universe.  :-D
And then we'd surely be in a pickle

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Option 1:  Angus still staring blankly at the announcement.  (6 votes)
Option 2:  Angus rehearsing his act like a boss.  (4 votes)
Option 3:  Angus rehearsing with tears in his eyes.  (3 votes)
Option 4:  Angus dressed up in a blue dress with white piping.  (10 votes)
Option 5:  Angus busily updating his resumé.  (5 votes)
Option 6:  The flyer that Angus left on the table when he went grocery shopping.  (9 votes)
Option 7:  A "Dear Faye" letter.  (8 votes)
Option 8:  A mismatched sock left behind, and nothing else.  (2 votes)
Option 9:  Nothing. He's gone.  (0 votes)
Option 10: Space ham and cosmic waffles.  (2 votes)
Option 11: The Red Chinese!  (7 votes)
Option 12: Something else.  (5 votes)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

So trolls live under bridges now?  I was certain those were sex offenders.
The reference the comic makes is to The Three Billygoats Gruff.

I'm familair with Three Billygoats Gruff, but the sex offenders are real.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I have to wonder why they went with the one who attacked a 10-year-old to make the offenders' case... you hear all these horror stories about someone taking a piss when a family walks by and getting charged with flashing a minor...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

There are times when I wish Jeph read the forum sometimes, because this would have been awesome.

Imagine Angus wearing the dress in the last couple of comics - with nothing else changed; Faye doesn't even bat an eyelash at Amgus wearing a dress.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

There are times when I wish Jeph read the forum sometimes, because this would have been awesome.

Imagine Angus wearing the dress in the last couple of comics - with nothing else changed; Faye doesn't even bat an eyelash at Amgus wearing a dress.  :-D

Maybe if we're good Jeph will give us that as a Christmas comic.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

I have been on Amtrak multiple times and we were never given the option of hot dogs.  Seems a part of my life has been missing...

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

You need the hot dogs to appease the troll under the bridge.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

westrim

The important thing here is that Angus either isn't particularly tidy or sleeps naked, while Faye sleeps with at least a shirt on.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 23:58 by Westrim »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

That's it, Faye.  Focus on the little things - then the big picture isn't so scary...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Are the Amtrak's hotdogs that tasty?  :roll:

Also:

Quote from: Jeph
Preview of content related to QC 2453
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 22:19 by K1dmor »

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

I'm not really into Metal, but that sounds quite good! Go Deathmole (the In-Universe version).

Also, Good Guy Angus is a good guy, managing them neuroses like a bauss.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Interesting that the forum didn't discuss long-distance as an option, when there's discussion of it IRL lower down.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Are fables such as this not universally known?
How could they be? Do you know the story of Ye Xian? As you will see, it bears a remarkable similarity to Cinderella, though it is centuries older (or at least written copies of it are). There are many Chinese fairy-stories but they are different from the European ones. I know what trolls are of course (I have read The Hobbit, and at least one collection of Norse myths in English), but I had not heard the story of the Three Billygoats Gruff.

I find it hard to believe that railway food is decent. I doubt Amtrak serves veggie-dogs (Warning: 1.5MB image) anyway.

It occurs to me that Angus must travel a lot already for his job as a professional straw-man.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 00:04 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

westrim

Interesting that the forum didn't discuss long-distance as an option, when there's discussion of it IRL lower down.
But we did, a couple weeks ago. I recall suggesting that he commute, which is different but related.

I can confirm that as of 5 years ago, Amtrak hotdogs on the way from San Francisco to LA were strangely delicious.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Now performing : Amtrak Hotdogs - supporting band Deathmole
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I was on a train once with a committed train history nerd. At many times, train food was an emphasized amenity. On at least one Amtrak run today, the food is better than generic restaurant level.

The Three Billy Goats Gruff have no need to be universal, but something like The Emperor's New Clothes expresses a profound insight about humans which every culture could share. Which leads me to wonder what comparable treasures there are in Chinese folklore that I've never heard about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!

On the other hand, eating is explicitly forbidden in most public transit in Germany (I am talking busses and trams, not trains). Depends on the city. Some only prohibit alcohol and/or hot/greasy food.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Keep in mind that Amtrak isn't city-level public transit, it's inter-city. And, if you're not in the northeastern corridor, it's gonna be slow (and even the Acela line isn't that fast as far as high speed rail goes).

Mostly used on the northeastern corridor (basically between Boston and DC) and in California, as I understand - it's not cost or time effective usually for anything in the rest of the US. (Then again, I hear that you can make it work well if you split a sleeper car with someone. Still not time effective, though.)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

We're used to the practically monopolistic train provider "Deutsche Bahn" here. It used to be the "Deutsche Bundesbahn", so it used to belong to the state. Its prices can actually compete with the prices for going somewhere by car, due to the high prices for gas. Also the ICE-trains are rather fast. On the other hand the DB is notorious for being late.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

View from the perspective of someone from the UK, DB, like all continental trains, is a model of punctuality.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Are fables such as this not universally known?
How could they be? Do you know the story of Ye Xian? As you will see, it bears a remarkable similarity to Cinderella, though it is centuries older (or at least written copies of it are). There are many Chinese fairy-stories but they are different from the European ones. I know what trolls are of course (I have read The Hobbit, and at least one collection of Norse myths in English), but I had not heard the story of the Three Billygoats Gruff.

Thanks for the link to Ye Xian. Can't say I was be surprised to learn that Cinderella has an older origin. But what about fables? Did Aesop invent that genre? The ancient local stories (passed from Grandmas to kids and so forth) have several animal characters (with human vices and virtues projected on them as befitted the stories). No need to Google - just if you know about it (from your own GrandMa ?)

At least you all now know how totally lost I feel, when the forum runs with a Manga/Anime reference :-)
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Also:

Metal: Aluminum.
Aluminum: Beer can
Beer can: Claire's hat
Thursday's comic: Silly hats!

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

As this arc was starting, my boyfriend and I were in the middle of a very similar situation. It's kind of creepy to feel like you're reading your own life in web comic form... because clearly Jeph is drawing inspiration from my life. It can't possibly be a coincidence.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Fixed the spoiler tag....
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 07:12 by Game and Watch Forever »

westrim

As this arc was starting, my boyfriend and I were in the middle of a very similar situation. It's kind of creepy to feel like you're reading your own life in web comic form... because clearly Jeph is drawing inspiration from my life. It can't possibly be a coincidence.

(click to show/hide)
But did he?

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

View from the perspective of someone from the UK, DB, like all continental trains, is a model of punctuality.
All continental trains?!

Last August, I was going from Saint-Malo to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (Roissy).  There were supposed to be three connecting trains.  The first one was so late, my travelling plans were changed; instead of two more trains, there were three more.

All four trains were late.

If that's the model of punctuality, I guess I shall not, next time, cross the Channel and try my luck on the route through UK ...

(I was considering that alternative route last time, but then I figured, what with those Olympics and stuff, it's going to be chaos over there.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

My experience is mainly in Germany and Italy, which I score 95% and 90%.  France I can't really say.  But yes, UK trains are seriously unreliable, and expensive with it.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Keep in mind that Amtrak isn't city-level public transit, it's inter-city. And, if you're not in the northeastern corridor, it's gonna be slow (and even the Acela line isn't that fast as far as high speed rail goes).

Mostly used on the northeastern corridor (basically between Boston and DC) and in California, as I understand - it's not cost or time effective usually for anything in the rest of the US. (Then again, I hear that you can make it work well if you split a sleeper car with someone. Still not time effective, though.)

In the midwest, the difference between the stated and actual departure/arrival time for an Amtrak train can be expressed in hours. As with all non-dedicated lines, freight has priority and the stations aren't always in the best part of town. Add to that a much more convenient/pervasive (take your pick) highway system and two or three generations worth of conditioning as to automobiles, and you're not going to get much out of US intercity passenger rail outside the Northwest and West Coast corridors. Even in-city rail takes some strange forms, such as Detroit's People Mover -- which is often less convenient than walking.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 17:19 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Loki

• comeback tour!

German railway is pretty much always three-five minutes late (except when you need it to be late, then of course it isn't  :-D). Depending on how rural your area is, and day of week, you can on average catch a train to your destination every x minutes, where <math>x \in {10;120}</math>. Except at night.

DB says they will reimburse you your taxi costs if you end up arriving at your destination more than one hour late (if they are at fault and didn't provide any alternatives). I never had to do that, so I don't know how reliable that is.

They will also sometimes allow you to take a faster (read: more expensive) train if you are late because of them. Cruising through Germany on an ICE while you are normally only allowed on the slow trains rocks :D

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

But this is the QCverse.  The Trains always run on time

Especially with the Mussolini AI running them  :-D

Seriously though, it all depends on whether Angus actually gets the role.  I'd like to think that if he did he and Faye could make it work - but that all depends on which way Jeph takes this.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2013, 14:27 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Correction: They run on time until they need to provide comedy or dramatic tension

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

But this is the QCverse.  The Trains always run on time

Especially with the Mussolini AI running them  :-D

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

You deserve a flogging for that.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

It's about 3 and a half hours via Amtrak from Springfield to Penn Station. (The Amherst station is closer to Northampton, but you get only one departure a day from there - Springfield gives you more options.) So it's not something you'd do as a daily commute, but it would be very reasonable for Angus to head down to NY on Monday morning and come back on Friday. Plus, if The Nightly Show runs on the same kind of schedule that The Daily Show does, then there are frequent periods where he'd be off for a few weeks at a time. It's not a bad gig if he can get it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I had never heard of the folk tale of The Fox Sister until seeing this poll, but once I read it I was almost tempted to vote for it. I ended up voting for "the biggest billy goat" instead because I decided the Fox Sister was just too evil for Faye; she may be gruff and violent, but killing her brothers and eating their liver is much nastier than anything she's ever done...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Aren't Hansel and Gretel siblings? :psyduck:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Ahh, sweet sibling lust...  :wink:

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

You want to put the earplugs in for AFTER, amirite guys?

Also, Claire turned her shirt inside out between panels.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up