Advanced search  

Poll

In a QC band you must:

Wear ear-protection.
Keep your cock in.
Assume ridiculous rock poses.
Twitch like a Tool video.
Pop the biggest boner.
Have wykkid bitchin' bloodstains on your guitar.
Be a math major to rokk.
Wear sunglasses indoors.
Turn your amps up to eleven.
Something else.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2450-2454 (20-24 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 58777 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Withing character, i guess, but Pintsize sounds a little... mechanical? 

I like the single heartbeat logo on Momo's shirt - is that a thing?  I've never seen it before. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

For a moment, I didn't notice that the hair was pink and not red, and I thought, "How the hell did Pintsize get Claire's arm off?"  :?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

With his disarming grin.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

With his disarming grin.
Westrim summons punasaurus, which eats all pun makers.  :mrgreen:

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Hmm. Marten, the woman who we're convinced is being portrayed as a love interest for him, and Hanners all going into Marten's apartment (bonus points, during a discussion of music).

I almost wonder if Jeph's setting a repeat of this up (the part where Hanners is relevant being the next comic), just to pull the rug out from under us somehow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

With his disarming grin.
Westrim summons punasaurus, which eats all pun makers.  :mrgreen:

Would that trigger an arms race?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

T. Rex would lose.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I bet she knows how C-3PO felt now.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I bet she knows how C-3PO felt now.

Would that make Pintsize R2-D2? Because it's oddly appropriate, if you watch Star Wars with a dirty mind.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I always did think some of those were wolf-whistles...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Especially when Princess Leia walks by.
James The Kugai 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

They probably were, TBH. I know as much as you do whether it's true or not - probably less - but some of the things I've heard were put into films and TV shows would back that up. In the Clangers, where the clanger-noise was made by speaking into a swan whistle, one of the lines was "doo do-doo, do do-doo dooo doo do do-do" or for those of you who don't speak clanger "Oh s*d it, the b****y door's got stuck again".
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Hmm. Marten, the woman who we're convinced is being portrayed as a love interest for him, and Hanners all going into Marten's apartment (bonus points, during a discussion of music).

I almost wonder if Jeph's setting a repeat of this up (the part where Hanners is relevant being the next comic), just to pull the rug out from under us somehow.

If we're gonna get a repeat, then I suspect that it is more likely that Claire will ask Marten the same question that Lt Potter did.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Can someone tell me what s*d and b****y mean?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

I think many people in the UK use "bloody" as a generic expletive much the same way the f-word is used elsewhere. Not sure about s*d. "Sod"? Roughly equivalent to "damn", I think
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I still don't understand why people voluntarily censor themselves. If the word makes you uncomfortable then why would you use it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Maybe they don't want to offend any fucking readers?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

I personally have no problem with mentioning a word, but there are certain words that I don't like to use. "I just took a shit" seems needlessly crude, but "I don't understand why 'shit' is considered offensive when 'poo' is not" is - to my mind at least - a case where the word is necessary to make the sentence easily readable. I could refer to it as "a four-character scatological noun", but that's rather clumsy.

In my case, the self-censorship is out of habit from other forums. And yes, Skewbrow, those were the words that I meant.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I think many people in the UK use "bloody" as a generic expletive much the same way the f-word is used elsewhere. Not sure about s*d. "Sod"? Roughly equivalent to "damn", I think

"Bloody" has the same or rather less force than "fucking", but I don't think it would be sprinkled as liberally in sentences as (occasionally) "fucking" might be.

"Sod" is mainly used in forms like "oh sod it" (as above), or "sod that"; you can also say: "he's a sod".

I know a vicar's daughter who can make "oh bother" sound worse than any of these!

This forum used to automatically censor a few words like "nigger" and "kike".  I removed that, preferring to deal with their inappropriate use through hands-on moderation.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I don't even know what the second word means, and feel very uncomfortable around the first one.

I would also see "Bloody" as an adjective with a similar meaning as "fucking", but to me it has a nicer sound to it. Also I like listening to Scottish people talking, so I hear it more often than "fucking". But "sprinkled into the sentence", so as an adverb e.g. it indeed seems rather unusual.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

"Kike" means Jew, and is as offensive as "nigger"; the origin of the word is unknown according to the OED, but Merriam-Webster's has a theory relating to Jewish names in Slavic countries often ending "-ki".  I think it's more common in the US then the UK (I note that the estimable Chamber's Dictionary doesn't even list the word).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I would also see "Bloody" as an adjective with a similar meaning as "fucking", but to me it has a nicer sound to it. Also I like listening to Scottish people talking, so I hear it more often than "fucking". But "sprinkled into the sentence", so as an adverb e.g. it indeed seems rather unusual.

"Bloody" is unacceptable in polite company. It is often minced to "bleeding", at least in writing. I do not think that it can replece every part of a sentence, like "fuck". In another forum, someone reported that he had witnessed an army sergeant say: "Fuck! The fucking fucker's fucking fucked. Fuck!", meaning that his weapon had jammed. I do not think you could do that with "bloody".
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 01:33 by KOK »
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Two observations on the weapons-grade F-bomb.
From the comic strip "Doonesbury" (paraphrased):
REACTIVATED ARMY RESERVIST: "I think I've forgotten how to use the F-word."
FELLOW SOLDIER: "It's easy. You just use it like a comma."

From Isaac Asimov's first joke book:
BARRACKS SOLDIER: (Describes going to town on a pass, meeting a girl, getting a drink, going to her apartment, all while liberally using all possible permutations of the word "fuck" except its literal meaning) "... and next thing you know, we had every fuckin' stitch of clothes off."
BARRACKS BUDDIES: "And? And? What happened next?"
BARRACKS SOLDIER: "What the fuck do you think, you fuckin' jerks? We fuckin' had sexual intercourse."
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 15:29 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

"Bloody" has the same or rather less force than "fucking", but I don't think it would be sprinkled as liberally in sentences as (occasionally) "fucking" might be.

"Sod" is mainly used in forms like "oh sod it" (as above), or "sod that"; you can also say: "he's a sod".

I know a vicar's daughter who can make "oh bother" sound worse than any of these!

This forum used to automatically censor a few words like "nigger" and "kike".  I removed that, preferring to deal with their inappropriate use through hands-on moderation.
From my favourite TVseries.
Quote from: BlackAdder III- Dish and Dishonesty
    Blackadder: Right. Now all we have to do is fill in this MP application form. "Name"...Baldrick. First name?
    Baldrick: Er... I'm not sure.
    Blackadder: Well, you must have some idea.
    Baldrick: Well, it might be Sod-Off.
    Blackadder: What?
    Baldrick: Well, when I was little and I used to play in the gutter, I used to say to the other snipes "Hello, my name's Baldrick." And they'd say "Yes, we know: Sod-Off Baldrick."
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Fuck! The fucking fucker's fucking fucked. Fuck!", meaning that his weapon had jammed. I do not think you could do that with "bloody".
I would alternate, as in "Fuck! The bloody fucker's bloody fucked!" I have said "bloody fuckin' hell" on more than one occasion.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Then they told him to go away with a sod-off shotgun.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Eric, did you just say the F-word?"
"...Jew?"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

And the meaning of "he's a sod" is "he's someone who commits sodomy", i.e. a homosexual. So "sod", as a noun,  is more or less the British equivalent of the U.S. term "fag" (note that "fag" means "cigarette" in Britain).

This educational moment has been brought to you by the British Tobacco Council. Light up a fag today!

Edit: Oh, and I voted for "other" in the poll, to mean "all of the above".
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 01:20 by Storel »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Came late for this one but I'm still going to mention it. There's a black metal band I enjoy that sings only about plants.

Meet BOTANIST
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up