THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ultimate Hi Def Next Gen Console thread (internet connection required)  (Read 40354 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I swear that somewhere out there, there is a Microsoft office and a Sony office just sitting across the street from one another, and the Sony office has a great big banner strung up reading 'SUCK IT', or some variation thereof.

BLOCK WAR!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
Re: New Xbox unveils most uninspired name ever
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jun 2013, 20:23 »

Honestly, I was giving serious thought to skipping a gen of consoles for the first time in my life if Sony had followed MS's lead.

I will admit, I'm pretty excited by Dead Rising 3. I doubt it'll stay exclusive to the One for more than a year, then I can pick up a GoTY edition for the PS4.

The downside to this is I'm unsure how they thought it was a good idea to make Dead Rising more brown and boring looking rather than the great color palettes of the earlier games.

Ok I wasn't sold on this until he threw a sledgehammer-bandsaw through a zombie then jumped in a muscle car and sped through the streets.  Want.

I had a PS1 and a PS2, and Sony's release of the PS3 made me loathe them and I bought an Xbox 360 and I've been happy with it this whole time.  I even thought some of this DRM stuff wasn't so bad until I read up on it and really thought about it for awhile and realized it for the pile of shit that it is.  I'm thouroughly conivced that I'm buying a PS4 now, if for no other reason than the pricetag then all of the other crap.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
Re: New Xbox unveils most uninspired name ever
« Reply #102 on: 12 Jun 2013, 21:24 »

Can't wait for another 6 months of the same old "Microsoft got burned"/"Xboned"/photoshopped Sony killing Microsoft .gifs/"The Kinect is Always Watching"/"Microsoft is a police state" jokes we've had since April-May.

Can't fuckin' wait.

Parkour Lewis

I love that shit.  LOVE it.  Every morsel of it.  When someone fucks up as gloriously as MS has with this it needs to be harped on, ridiculed, and drawn out as much as possible so that it's remembered.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

And maybe, just maybe, they might even learn a valuable lesson.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

I absolutely hate it, simply because the jokes haven't been fresh for weeks. Haven't seen any that have made me laugh since before E3 even happened.

Not to mention the hyperbole that goes on as well. Oh, what's that? Jack Tretton's face on Kratos killing a dude with the Microsoft logo on his face? Oh that's cute, y'alls have learned metaphors.

ackblom12

Thankfully, most of it goes away pretty quickly in my social networks. I prune my lists like a goddamn tyrant.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

You think those might be the same people that get fed up with all the shit that comes out for said consoles? Oh, another brown/grey shooter? Going to ask me to continually use Facebook on my 360 all the time (and advertise a load of other crap on there)? Going to keep charging a shit-ton of money for really old games that have been on the marketplace forever? Going to keep fucking over Indie developers so their games get added to the slush pile that's located in a tiny part of the 360 experience? Going to keep charging £35 a year for multi-player privileges that have no other benefit for the money being spent when rivals do it for free? And  to top it off, your employees go on nice Twitter rants about how people who don't have a 24 hour internet connection aren't living in the 21st century.

I could go on. The gaming community at large is probably responding to the morphing of the 360 into the above. So, they respond in gifs. This is the internet after all.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Hey did someone hear about a top microsoft guy telling people to just buy a 360 if they can't get a connection with the Xbox One?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A#!

Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Microsoft engineer on xb1, trying to justify some of the console aspects (there's a couple he doesn't like too)...and he kind of accomplishes it:

Here's the link.

Nothing technical; you'll read things as sh*t, F+ck, etc.

PS: There's a chance of this been fake.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2013, 23:33 by K1dmor »

ackblom12

There's so many problems with his arguments, not the smallest of which is going for the $500 price point this during a massive global recession. The oversimplification of the issue with once a day check in and also the issues with saying that it's the 'same thing' as Steam and so many other things.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Hey did someone hear about a top microsoft guy telling people to just buy a 360 if they can't get a connection with the Xbox One?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A#!

Interestingly, this is the only time I've seen Geoff Keighley not seeming like the biggest dick in the room.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Parkour Lewis

Going to keep charging £35 a year for multi-player privileges that have no other benefit for the money being spent when rivals do it for free?

Actually if I'm hearing it right, Sony's saying that you'll need a Ps+ account or whatever it's called to play games online on the PS4, that'll cost around 6 bucks a month, and I'm glad they're doing it.  I've always held to the adage that you get what you pay for, and never liked Sony's play-online-for-free service because I thought that it'd lead to bad things - like service going down for weeks at a time, or shoddy security that lets someone break in and steal loads of account and credit information, things like that.  I'd much rather they charge for it and offer a better service.

ackblom12

Yeah, a sub is required for multi now, but with all the perks of + it's nowhere near as much of an issue.

ackblom12

E3 2013, Next Gen and PC's Bizarre Invisibility Problem

"After sitting through nearly all of E3′s press conferences (and catching up on Microsoft’s, which I skipped to marvel at my super cutting-edge next-gen loft sink), I came away with two raucously growling gut reactions: 1) new Mirror’s Edge yes yes yes yay yes mmm-hmm yes good indeed and 2) did I just step into an alternate dimension where PC never emerged from the primordial gaming ooze? I don’t mean that in the sense that PC’s not the focus at E3 either, because frankly it never really has been. But come on: our platform of choice has spent years in the deepest waters of areas where Microsoft and Sony are only just beginning to dip their piggy toes. Free-to-play, DRM, cloud, servers, indies, problematic communities, etc, etc, etc. So why does it seem like nobody’s even tried to learn from PC gaming’s mistakes?"

More after the link of course.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2013, 02:33 by ackblom12 »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm

Microsoft engineer on xb1, trying to justify some of the console aspects (there's a couple he doesn't like too)...and he kind of accomplishes it:

Here's the link.

Nothing technical; you'll read things as sh*t, F+ck, etc.

PS: There's a chance of this been fake.

Ah, /b/, my favorite source of xb1 engineers.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

And maybe, just maybe, they might even learn a valuable lesson.
Won't happen.  They intend to drain their loyal customers for every cent they have.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Lupercal

Going to keep charging £35 a year for multi-player privileges that have no other benefit for the money being spent when rivals do it for free?

Actually if I'm hearing it right, Sony's saying that you'll need a Ps+ account or whatever it's called to play games online on the PS4, that'll cost around 6 bucks a month, and I'm glad they're doing it.  I've always held to the adage that you get what you pay for, and never liked Sony's play-online-for-free service because I thought that it'd lead to bad things - like service going down for weeks at a time, or shoddy security that lets someone break in and steal loads of account and credit information, things like that.  I'd much rather they charge for it and offer a better service.

Yes, currently you can techincally buy about 15 months of PS+ so it equals out to $3 a month or so. PS+ also, as I understand, 'gives away' a lot of free games, in that you techinically rent them indefinitely while you still have a subscription. Without owning both consoles I don't know if you get a better service on the 360, apart from the PS3 crash that happened two years ago or whenever. They seem like they are much more capable of rewarding gamers and keeping them interested - as opposed to giving away Halo 3 and Fable III for free. (Granted, some people will appreciate it. I just think giving away something so old that so many people have is a bit...silly)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

(...I just think giving away something so old that so many people have is a bit...silly)
Fable 3? Old?? Ha!

Okay, I think I can adapt this old joke...

What's the difference between a PC gamer and a console gamer?

A PC gamer thinks a $30 game is expensive.

A console gamer thinks a game released 3 years ago is old.

:laugh:
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Cameras: Enforcing Honesty

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Hotlinking not allowed :(

But here's the source. Warning: Page has sound.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2013, 04:44 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Welp, that tears it. Where's sony at? I'd like to make a deal. . .

TheEvilDog

I have been and always shall be a Playstation player, so right now I'm just laughing my head off at all of this.

Lupercal

(...I just think giving away something so old that so many people have is a bit...silly)
Fable 3? Old?? Ha!

Okay, I think I can adapt this old joke...

What's the difference between a PC gamer and a console gamer?

A PC gamer thinks a $30 game is expensive.

A console gamer thinks a game released 3 years ago is old.

:laugh:

Okay, I'll be fair, I don't really know how old Fable III is. I haven't played it, but I'm not that impressed that its a free game as its apparently pretty mediocre. But am I just a spoiled gamer who isn't happy with free games? (I already own Halo 3 and got that in 2007/8 so it feels pretty old by now, since five other Halo games have come out in that time).

$30 a game IS expensive! For anything!

Would I redeem myself by admitting buying some Wii Virtual Console games recently that were late 90s releases? That's old, right? Playing Super Smash Bros to get away from the fear of the Millenium Bug?

I'd also like to be both a PC gamer and a console gamer. Trouble is, I have a 3 year old Sony Vaio. I need to build a decent rig, which means saving some money for it. Can't be more than a Playstation 4!

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

The thing I like about the guys at Penny Arcade is that they made one comic about it, explained their stance on the shit that went on at E3 for about 2 posts, and then moved the hell on. They also approached the Xbox One problem from a different angle, which is nice.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Okay, I'll be fair, I don't really know how old Fable III is. I haven't played it, but I'm not that impressed that its a free game as its apparently pretty mediocre. But am I just a spoiled gamer who isn't happy with free games? (I already own Halo 3 and got that in 2007/8 so it feels pretty old by now, since five other Halo games have come out in that time).

$30 a game IS expensive! For anything!

Would I redeem myself by admitting buying some Wii Virtual Console games recently that were late 90s releases? That's old, right? Playing Super Smash Bros to get away from the fear of the Millenium Bug?

I'd also like to be both a PC gamer and a console gamer. Trouble is, I have a 3 year old Sony Vaio. I need to build a decent rig, which means saving some money for it. Can't be more than a Playstation 4!
Don't worry, I was just making some sweeping generalisations. XBONE and PS4 games release at $60, and obviously loads of people buy those, but now, when Steam releases a game for $30, a common reaction is "Eh, I'll wait for a sale."

The oldest game I own was released in 1985. The oldest game I own that I've actually played was released in 1993. So, for me, 'oldest game still worth playing' stands at 20 years at the least.

As for building a PC to match the new consoles, I refer you to this. You're never going to get an equivalent power-to-price ratio of a console, since the manufacturers cut costs by building them in bulk, but for a hundred dollars or so more, you'll be able to run anything that runs on them as well. There's only one piece of advice in there that I'd go against: don't buy a cheap PSU. Anything under $50 and you're on thin ice.

If you really want to price-match the PS4, you could probably do it by getting a few previous-gen hardware components second-hand, which I estimate gets you the equivalent of an above-average gaming PC one or two years ago. Just don't expect to be able to run the latest triple-A releases smoothly, but anything not made with a multi-million-dollar budget will be just fine. PC's got a lot of indies, you see. Not to mention the 20+ year back catalogue...

Welp, that tears it. Where's sony at? I'd like to make a deal. . .
I've since learned that Sony did exactly the same thing when demo-ing PS3 games at E3 2005, I think it was. Apparently it's not uncommon at all to run demos of unreleased consoles on vastly more powerful hardware.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Warning: Page has sound.

Should read "Warning: Page is going to sucker-punch you with emotion.". [1][2]  :-P
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

ackblom12

Yeah, to be honest I've never given much care to the stories of PCs running the games at E3 because it's pretty much been that way for a really long damn time. It doesn't make it any less wrong, but it's not unique to the here and now or to any specific company.

Used Games and AAA Games Are Incompatible? Good!

"Game developer Cliff Bleszinski has never been a fan of the used game market, and he's made his feelings on the Xbox One and PS4 policies quite clear -- he supports Microsoft's decision to "redefine" the concept of videogame ownership, in a bid to protect the way videogames are currently made.

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he said. "The numbers do NOT work people ... The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assassins Creed games are made by thousands of devs."

Clifford's stance is fairly clear -- games are too expensive, and so the customers must be the ones to compromise. This is presented as our responsibility, our fault even. We "expect" good looking games with high marketing budgets, and publishers are forced to comply.

Except ... that's really not true, and while Bleszinski has actually very adequately highlighted the problem with modern videogame development, he's gone and focused on the wrong part of it.
"

More after the link.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

So basically, he's acting like a jerk?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Good article, and an excellent summary from Kugai.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Jim Sterling (the journalist) is excellent - check out his show 'The Jimquisition ' on the Escapist. ("Thank God.... for me")
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I saw that guy's vid on female characters in gaming. The man needs a show. With real guests. Which he can then render asunder.

I'd shell cash out for that.

ackblom12

Yeah, he does some great stuff. Just... don't check out anything of his from more than a couple of years ago (before Jimquisition started if I remember correctly). The dude used to be the very definition of a shithead, (loooots of rape jokes, sexism is over and other Reddit MRA type material) but something made him do a big 180. Dude has become one of the bigger and more articulate male activist for change in the industry.

ackblom12

Also, an issue with the Xbox One's DRM I hadn't even thought about in the first place.

Xbox One Has Single Handedly Alienated the Military

GarandMarine

• Awakened

It was getting a lot of play on military forums, I didn't even think to mention it here. The DRM issues for deployed troops, sailors/Marines at sea OR just stuck in bases with shitty internet infrastructure (I.E. most of them) is a lethal blow, the OPSEC issue is the brutal, over the top finishing move for a Sony FATALITY and Flawless Victory for this generation.

I don't have the link handy but PS4 preorders are up 50% compared to Xbone and an Amazon customer poll came back with 95% of customers preferring the PS4

Fuck me I should have bought Sony stock.

ackblom12

And because I'm really sick of people complaining about the fact that the community is happy about the the fact that Sony's policy is essentially 'not doing anything'...

PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?

I'm military, and I'll be buying an Xbox One...But I also don't take my console overseas with me.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I wonder how Microsoft is going to try to spin this, if they insist on this course of action. If it is at all possible to spin comments like 'Don't like it? Just buy a 360."

And Nikolai, just because you don't, doesn't mean that the army won't fly some over to your R&R areas so your fellow soldier can enjoy some home comforts.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Be honest, what did you expect to happen when you get banned from your console - not just xbox live?

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page

Meh, Jim has some points at times, and is a great wordsmith, but mostly.. he's a self-entitle prick. His ridiculous amount of Xbone-hate is pretty tiring. Microsoft's biggest fault, is being horrible at presenting their product and predicting the reaction thereof, not being evil overlords that want to eat our soul and money.
I dunno..

ackblom12

There lack of cohesion on their message is really really not the major problem here. It is a problem, but it's a problem that it's entirely theirs and has little to do with why the One is so problematic.

TheEvilDog

not being evil overlords that want to eat our soul and money.

Technically, as a company that produces a product, they do want our money.
Which is the point of producer/consumer dynamic.
The problem here is that Microsoft made the number one mistake in business, they decided to dictate what the market should want. Which is pretty much the best way to lose that market. The whole thing about the DRM and anti-piracy was done in a ham-fisted manner, but the truth is, eventually there will be strong measures taken to prevent piracy; Microsoft just went in at the deep end of a shark infested pool, carrying bloody fish heads and wearing bloody aftershave.
There is also the idea that you are no longer buying games, you're renting them at $40-$60. So lets say the average gamer will have 8 games for the Xbox-One, and then they get banned, not from the game, but from their account. Say goodbye to that $1000 you spent on your games and console.
Microsoft decided they knew what gamers should want and now its coming back to bite them in the ass.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 15:30 by TheEvilDog »

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page

Technically, as a company that produces a product, they do want our money.
Which is the point of producer/consumer dynamic.
The problem here is that Microsoft made the number one mistake in business, they decided to dictate what the market should want. Which is pretty much the best way to lose that market. The whole thing about the DRM and anti-piracy was done in a ham-fisted manner, but the truth is, eventually there will be strong measures taken to prevent piracy; Microsoft just went in at the deep end of a shark infested pool, carrying bloody fish heads and weighing bloody aftershave.

Exactly, they dived into the issue head first, instead of treading their ground and making changes in steps. To top it of, it all was presented in th worst possible manner, and with no thought into what the reaction from the audience would be. In other words, it's not what they're doing that's the issue, it's how they're doing it. I'm 90 % sure Sony and Microsoft had pretty much the same plans and goals concerning DRM, used games block and all that stuff, but that the horrible reactions to M$'s piss-poor presentation of the issue made them turn tail, and use the situation to their advantage, spiting Microsoft and appealing to the enraged audience.

There is also the idea that you are no longer buying games, you're renting them at $40-$60. So lets say the average gamer will have 8 games for the Xbox-One, and then they get banned, not from the game, but from their account. Say goodbye to that $1000 you spent on your games and console.

This is a difficult issue. On one side, games are software; they're just a copy, made for near to no resources, of something that has require a lot of resources. Thus, they don't really have much self-value, unlike a car or a piece of furniture. With that in mind, I can't imagine how it's more justifiable to give away something someone else made, and take money for it (used games sales), than giving away something someone else made for free (piracy). Personally, I'd rather pay the developers (with publishers being a necessary "evil").

On the other hand, there's a lot of technical problems. Most, however, are also prevalent in Steam. And I do think that is a valid comparison to make. I'm pretty sure Steam (and other similar services) got it's share of critique back when they were new, and I believe the console market can make the same concept work for them. It doesn't look to bright at the moment, though.

Of course, I'd like to be able to borrow games from friends (and it has happened on several occasions that I have spent money on DLC for said games), but it's hard to come up with a system that perfect for everyone.
I dunno..

ackblom12

The reason Steam isn't a fair comparison is, at least partially, is because Steam isn't locked into a hardware brand. That by itself makes a very big difference, not even going into the good will Valve has built up due to understanding that if they treat consumers proper they make more money. Another issue that while sure, I'd like to pay money to developers more so than publishers, but MS isn't helping their either what with requiring publishers for digital titles and patching costs. I mean, if you want to compare it to Steam, then MS still doesn't have any excuse because (for inability to offer up a cohesive message or the actual practices they've announced) there is about 8 years worth of collected data, criticisms and changes there for MS to have learned from.

Digital as the majority (because obviously that's the end goal here and how this is set up) is coming sure, and I welcome it with open arms, but the console market is not ready for it to make a full transition this gen for a number of reasons, much of it concerning issues with internet infrastructure around the globe.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 16:33 by ackblom12 »

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

"Game developer Cliff Bleszinski has never been a fan of the used game market, and he's made his feelings on the Xbox One and PS4 policies quite clear -- he supports Microsoft's decision to "redefine" the concept of videogame ownership, in a bid to protect the way videogames are currently made.

Oh Cliffy B. Let the poor old thing die.

Quote from: Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
But for the first time I have such a crushing sense of foreboding for everything about this upcoming console generation that I don't want any part of it. I don't want to acquire a PS4 or an always-on Xbox even for work purposes, let alone for personal entertainment. The console industry as it stands is unsustainable and heading for the cliff edge. You only need to look at that Adam Orth "deal with it" tweet to see the writing on the wall. The new generation of consoles is a desperate let's-see-what-we-can-get-away-with lunge from a dying beast, and now they're not even trying to pretend that it will improve the gaming experience. They're going to force online measures to stamp out pre-owned games, they're going to erase your histories, and they're going to throw entire generations of games to the wind. And you, consumer, can just "deal with it".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10300-We-Really-Really-Dont-Need-New-Consoles

Tends to sum up my suspicions about this cycle. I'm planning on sitting this one out I think. Got enough going on with still catching up on old PS2 games at any rate.

ackblom12

I understand Yahtzee's position, even if I disagree with him on this.

Also, here's another article that puts into much more cohesive words than I can about how the Xbox One isn't, but Nintendo and Sony are, supporting the concept of paying developers instead of publishers.

Xbox One vs. Indies

Of course none of this denies that what we think of as normal for the console industry isn't a bit fucked.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up