THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 11:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ultimate Hi Def Next Gen Console thread (internet connection required)  (Read 41227 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Sony's always been good at kicking others when they were down and turning it to their advantage; I mean Playstation 1 and 2, c'mon.

They aren't any good at getting themselves out of a slump without that though, i.e. Playstation 3.

Also I like to hold the view that Sony is generally peopled by Shadowrun Insect Spirits, so uh...y'know, I wouldn't necessarily take my input too seriously.

Also hey, Yahtzee writes another one.

Nae can we be best friends?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I go up to Cherry Creek lake and throw rocks in it every now and then trying to wake Dunkelzahn up....  :psyduck:

In semi related news! SRR trailer!

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Dunkelzahn's will was the best thing ever. As far as I'm concerned most games I'd run are still in 3rd edition story-wise, when it comes to him.

ackblom12

5th Edition SR is out and I'm super excited to get ahold of it at some point

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?

I'm a big fan of the Presidents and always get a little creepy secret laugh every time I hear this particular song of theirs:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWoVBeYkPw
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2013, 07:11 by Parkour Lewis »
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

ackblom12

And more damage control from Microsoft.

Microsoft Confirms Self Publishing for Xbox One

There's nothing about the specifics of it, but it's a good start. I'm almost expecting them to announce Kinect doesn't come with the console and a price drop.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Self-publishing for Xbox One means BastTransistor may appear for the XBone! Yaay!!

To be honest, Microsoft has lost quite some face with the XBone reveal, no? But seeing as they're actively trying to rectify that, I might be willing to give them another chance. I prefer the controller of the Xbone.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

If they keep this up, I may just pick them yet.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

ackblom12

MS has to prove to me that their console isn't nothing but an ad delivery system. The way the dashboard was handled in the latter half of the 360's life, even as a Gold member, was absolute dogshit. But if they can do that, it means the One might be on my 'eventual' list. I currently have a PS4 Launch Edition lined up on Amazon though, and unless things go bad between now and release, I'm getting it then.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I think the XBOX team at Microsoft hasn't really understood live tiles that well. I must say I haven't seen the dashboard, but I have seen the Xbox games hub screen, and yeah, that is a pure ad wall. There's no sense of direction at all, just a lot of random content pushed into your face and the user can't really chose what he wants to see.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Is it me or was the older 360 Dashboard layout a little...well, better, when it comes to that sort of thing?

I was *very* disappointed that the new Spiderman game included a 360 update that changed my Dashboard OS to the new one.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

I think the XBOX team at Microsoft hasn't really understood live tiles that well.

FYP
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

I've got a phone that proves otherwise.

ackblom12

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

People liked the Universal Brotherhood too. >_>

(couldn't resist, I'll stop for now)

ackblom12

We all know Sony is actually Renraku.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

With that in mind, I can't imagine how it's more justifiable to give away something someone else made, and take money for it (used games sales), than giving away something someone else made for free (piracy).
I still have to catch up with the thread but how is that meaningfully different from used book sales?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• You may Baste me

I don't think it is, other than that I think most people still read books instead of ebooks, so book piracy isn't that big of a thing yet. There is no ethical difference between book and software-piracy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wasn't talking about piracy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• You may Baste me

Edguy was?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He said that used sales are no better than piracy and I was wondering if he felt the same regarding used book sales.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?

It's completely different.  The customer used to have rights regarding things that they purchased with their money, but now producers are realizing that if they change the rules and force everyone to buy directly from them and no one else, they can maybe make a lot more money regardless of the quality of their product, becuase once it's sold, you're stuck with it and there's no competition for sale of the same product.

See?  Completely different.  It Is piracy now because you don't own what you buy.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

ackblom12

Playstation 4 Developers Will Have Access to 5gb of the PS4's 8gb worth of RAM.

This is some pretty great news. This along with the testing coparing the CPUs and GPUs means the PS4 is going to hit it's graphical stride about 2 - 3 years in and the graphical and physics differences between the consoles should start becoming rather obvious.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

What I don't understand is: On Windows 7, I'm running a browser with 20 tabs open, 6 tabs in a PDF reader, Skype, Steam, and two Word documents, which takes up 3.75 GB of RAM. How does a console use almost just as much for running its operating system and its features alone?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

Well, considering that you'll have the capability of running the entire GUI in the background,  video streaming and recording and numerous other stuff, it doesn't really surprise me. There's a lot going on at any given time if they're doing what they claim to be doing with the dashboard capabilities in game.

snalin

• You may Baste me

So Win 7 uses 200-250 MB RAM when idling if the googles are correct. If it's doing stuff, you probably need the double. Add in background downloads (which I think was a thing) which implies continuous writing to disk at the rate of your download speed, live social services, video recording, video streaming, etc. etc... It needs a bunch. Of course most users won't be using all of that at once, but Sony doesn't want the system to crash or slow down, so Sony is going to ensure that if you actually do all of the stuff you can, you can still run your game. There's probably also a couple of hundred of megs of safety buffer, just in case there's some memory-heavy feature that'll show up down the road that Sony needs to implement to stay competitive. Like teleporting tech or whatever.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

That was one-and-a-half months ago. They dropped it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next year or so, the Android console market starts to heat up. I want to talk about Ouya etc a bit here, and I'm not sure starting another thread is really necessary. It's not "next gen", and it's laughable that reviewers think that creators of Ouya and Gamestick have it in mind that they'll compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, but I think it's a relevant part of the ever changing landscape of "next gen gaming".

In essence, this is becoming one of the first times that gamers are being actively encouraged to make games, tinker with your console's software and hardware, and hell, even enjoy emulators on them (using ROMs of games you own legally, of course). This kind of freedom definitely flies in the face of Microsoft's warranty-ruining rules (want to get a quieter fan for your 360? No XBL for you!) and Nintendo's awful online shop/retro experience for the Wii U. I suppose it also battles the current backwards compatibility woes, but you're obviously not going to get a 360/PS3 emulator any time soon.

Affordable open source consoles are exciting, possibly more exciting than finding out what the fuck Microsoft are actually doing come November.

ackblom12

The Xbox One launch package is a mess of smart decisions

I'm fairly certain you could power an entire city with the amount of backpedaling MS has done in the last few months. The backpedaling has been 99% good at least.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I wonder if local stores will do trade in against the next gen consoles. . . hmmm. . .
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

snalin

• You may Baste me

A lot of good backpedaling, but it's still $100 more expensive than it has to be because it bundles with a peripheral that few people nobody wants or needs. The included headset is better than having to pay for it, but it is still using, as far as I can  remember, a proprietary socket. So I still can't use whatever headphones I want with it. I suspect it's to late to do anything about either of those problems.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

A lot of good backpedaling, but it's still $100 more expensive than it has to be because it bundles with a peripheral that few people nobody wants or needs.

I'm interested in seeing what Kinect 2.0 can do. I can't remember if it's been mentioned here or not, but the good thing about bundling it is that it's actually a part of the console everyone has and therefore every developer will know they can include kinect features without alienating anyone. Making it an optional buy reduces the incentive to do so. PS3's camera is surely going to get less support, but it really doesn't seem like a priority for Sony.

ackblom12

I'm well aware of the positive side of it being bundled, but my issue with the Kinect being bundled is simply that I'm not actually sure who was asking for it. It certainly wasn't gamers. It's just not something that I'm convinced will be anything but clunky in comparison to the controller. I mean, at this point, the fact that the PS4 and PC won't end up with games that have forced Kinect options makes me damn happy and in the event I get a One, less likely to get it on that platform.

X-BoX One Controller Can Work as Wired PC Gamepad

This is good news, but it sounds like they are going to have to write new drivers for it and those won't be available until some time in 2014.

And yet more backpedaling...

X-Box One Will Function Without Kinect Says MS

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Next step, unbundling it and dropping the price to $350.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

Rumour: October 21st is the PS4 Release Date

It would make sense. Release earlier than the One, have plenty of time to restock at least once before the majority of the holiday shopping and it's just another good way for them to wave their dick in MS's face.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

You mean they haven't already hacked off MS's and taped it to their forehead?

And I'm starting to feel pretty conflicted about this all now, although I am still leaning towards PS4, thanks to a few games I was looking forward to only being of a limited exclusive on Xbox, then coming on other platforms.

If only I was financially secure and could buy both. . . Although I still wouldn't because I'd have to pay for Live and the PS equivalent, so fuck that.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games

I put all of my vitriol into a blog over here.  IT basically breaks down to the fact that the 360 is likely the last microsoft console I will buy, and IF (a very strong if that) I buy a next gen console eventually, it'll be a PS4.  Tired of giving my money to companies that don't give a wet hot shit about me.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ackblom12

Looks like we should be hearing an official release date next week at GamesCom.

I'm guessing the October 21st date is accurate. They're also going to be announcing more news about their titles, including some that haven't been announced yet.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I forget if I've asked this or if it's already been answered but can you download and play PS3 games on the PS4? My PS3 stopped working and the only reason I really care is GTA V. If I *can* play it on the PS4, I will.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

It'll be on the ps4 too anyway I think? They're just releasing it now because they can is my general understanding of it.

ackblom12

You should be able to through Genkai, but they haven't revealed too much about how that'll work. I'm guessing they'll be telling more about that service next week. There isn't any confirmation on if they're going to bother porting GTAV to PS4 and XBox One though. I'm guessing it will, but probably not for a few months. Probably around the same time the PC version (which was accidentally confirmed) is released.

ackblom12

Xbox One Games Won't be Region Locked

If only there were a way to store this energy!

ackblom12

Nov. 15 is the official PS4 release date.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games

so, 11/15/15 is likely about the time I will buy one.

:-P
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ackblom12

Holy shit, apparently the PS4 surpassed the 1 Million pre-order mark.

ackblom12

Also, just to get a slightly bigger picture of how much more Sony seems to be doing to keep up this gen, they're releasing in 32 countries to start. MS is releasing to 13.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'll be getting it soon after it releases, and the first thing I'll play for it is either a previous gen port (Watch Dogs, which I'm getting for PS4), or a previous gen download if I can get it right away (GTA V). I don't think I'll get any other games for a while.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

Xbox One US launch date was officially announced as Nov. 22, one week after the PS4. It is one week earlier in most of the 13 countries it's launching in though. Funnily enough, Argentina is where the One is being manufactured. They're not one of the countries that's getting a launch release.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/09/04/xbox-one-release-date-set-in-uk-us-and-australia/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up