THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 18:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Mafia 10 - Who Goes There?  (Read 35369 times)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Mafia 10 - Who Goes There?
« Reply #100 on: 25 May 2013, 19:26 »

OOC: Everything is SUPPOSED to be public, so I assumed they just left the intercom on or something?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #101 on: 25 May 2013, 19:34 »

((OOC: Well it's an Antarctic research station, I don't think it would be that hard to eavesdrop on somebody.
My headcanon was that Pistorious, after having finished with work, went to bed (what with it being night and all), and that they're all meeting for breakfast now.))

Pistorious looks around the room.
"Does anyone know where Gareth is? We need to talk about isolating the dogs so we can be assured that they can't attack us, should they be infected."

mtmerrick

« Reply #102 on: 25 May 2013, 19:46 »

How do we know the dogs HAVEN'T been infected already?  :psyduck: And how do we tell the difference between an infected dog and a pissed off dog?  :psyduck: The dogs already don't like a lot of us.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #103 on: 25 May 2013, 19:55 »

"Of course, I still think testing Commander Einhorn is our best course of action.  I don't have any reason to suspect him, I just think it would be smart to test those in charge, first."

"And Pistorious, I know you just tested clean, but..."  Dr. Bemis glances at the charred notes, seemingly unsalvageable, and still smoking.  "Was that really necessary?  I'm not sure how to say this, and I don't want you to die - you are, as you know, one of our most valuable assets, nor do I wish you any ill will - but if something does happen to you, you've just condemned the rest of us."  She bites her lip, and sighs.  "If you really are the only one capable of making an antidote, even if it's temporary, you should probably use it on yourself.  Using it to save one of us is of no use if you get infected, or killed, and we can't make more."  The tired geologist narrows her eyes and clenches her jaw.  "And damn you, sir, for destroying your notes.  Not selfish, my ass."

henri bemis

« Reply #104 on: 25 May 2013, 19:56 »

OOC - ack, forgot to make it official!

test Unicorn.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #105 on: 25 May 2013, 20:01 »

That's five votes for Unicorn.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #106 on: 25 May 2013, 20:37 »

"I suppose it would make sense... though somebody should seriously look for Black Sword and Gareth. One of them might be devouring the other for all we know. Either way... vote Unicorn."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #107 on: 25 May 2013, 21:28 »

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they were. Or getting eaten by Gareth's dogs.

And even though Dr. Bemis raises a very good point, I too vote Einhorn.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #108 on: 26 May 2013, 06:27 »

I've been with the dogs this whole time. They're spooked, and I don't blame them. And as for who can tell the difference between an infected one and angry one, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to.

I abstain from voting.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #109 on: 26 May 2013, 06:46 »

Pistorious turns towards Gareth, his gaze locked with his, eyes narrowed in suspicion.
"What do you mean you want to abstain, Gareth?"
His gaze unchanged, he nods towards the others.
"I'm not changing my vote, but if I could, I would test you tonight as well. We already determined that testing yourself is not a bad thing, the only reason you wouldn't want Einhorn tested would be because you were the one who turned him."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 26 May 2013, 09:04 »

One more vote for Unicorn will end the day.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #111 on: 26 May 2013, 11:33 »

This is a bit of a witch hunt and we don't know what we're dealing with. Frankly I'd sooner get out of here than test anybody, but unfortunately I don't have that option.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #112 on: 26 May 2013, 11:51 »

"So you'd prefer to do nothing than to conduct a test that would be pretty much non-lethal to anyone actually human? I understand wanting to leave, but it'd be irresponsible of us to let that thing leave the premises alive."

mtmerrick

« Reply #113 on: 26 May 2013, 11:57 »

Yup,  I'm voting for Gareth tomorrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #114 on: 26 May 2013, 12:12 »

This is a bit of a witch hunt and we don't know what we're dealing with. Frankly I'd sooner get out of here than test anybody, but unfortunately I don't have that option.

I'm sure we ALL want to get out of here. Especially that...thing. But nobody's going anywhere until everyone's clean and the thing is dead. Why you don't want to figure out who's clean and who isn't just makes you look suspicious and good luck getting out of here without a 'copter, let alone one without a GPS.

*Capt. "Cloudkicker" Striker mumbles something about letting no creepy ass beasts on her bird.*

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #115 on: 26 May 2013, 12:36 »

"Gareth your argumentation has no solid foundation in reality. The test is absolutely harmless,"
he lifts up his hand, the cut from the last day clearly visible
"unless you're afraid to spill a little blood."

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #116 on: 26 May 2013, 13:04 »

I also don't understand the objection to testing. If you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to worry about.

I vote to lynch test Gareth.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #117 on: 26 May 2013, 13:31 »

Einhorn heard the dissent among his charges and decided to tackle the situation head-on. Ordering the others into the common room, the commander patiently sat on a chair and waited for the doctor to perform the test.

The group held its collective breath as the blood pooled into the petri dish and the nail was heated.

Einhorn celebrated the quiet fizzle with a swig from his canteen.

He is uninfected.

Night 2 Begins
(Everyone, if you have a role, get your PM in)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 26 May 2013, 14:14 »

As soon as the nail in his fingers start fizzling, Pistorious takes the petri dish and the nail and slams them on the ground in frustration.

"God fucking dammit!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #119 on: 26 May 2013, 14:23 »

Told you you should wear gloves when handling hot nails.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #120 on: 26 May 2013, 19:18 »

"You know, it occurs to me that we could be here a long time. How're the rations?"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #121 on: 26 May 2013, 19:43 »

Yeah, mtmerrick, how's our food supply looking?

henri bemis

« Reply #122 on: 26 May 2013, 22:36 »

"We're at a science station in the antarctic - I think our food supply is ok at least long enough to finish testing everyone?  It's not like there's a stop & shop down the block when you're living on the south pole.  If we need to, we can probably coordinate with the outside to safely air-drop supplies we need."  She stops and things for a minute.  "Though... how is our radio contact, cesium?  Are we still on the air?"

"In any case, I'm glad to know Einhorn is safe, and I also don't understand Gareth's objections to testing.  Two of us have undergone it, and it's been perfectly harmless."

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #123 on: 26 May 2013, 23:00 »

"Well...think about it. If we test everyone and everything, and find nothing, okay. But if we find even one Thing, then we'd have to retest people, wouldn't we? This could go on a while. And, I've got no idea what our stores are. Seems to me like it's been a while since the last supply runner, but..." She shrugs.

Zingoleb

« Reply #124 on: 26 May 2013, 23:48 »

"Gamey leg! Don't eat me. Leg's gamey. Gam*hic*game*hic* bad leg. Damn my leg!"

The commander, at some point after his initial celebratory drink, seemed to had found room for several more. Of course, the motion required to properly damn his apparently gamey leg sent him entirely off balance, and he crashed mightily to the floor. "Ain't No Thing Gonna Eat These Legs!" he says loudly and with bizarrely perfect enunciation, though the belch that punctuates it is a little less than formal. It seems almost as if he's speaking to a voice that no one else heard.

mtmerrick

« Reply #125 on: 26 May 2013, 23:55 »

Well, there are plenty of INGREDIENTS. Tough shit for you all because you've all been told not eat any food prepared by anyone other than yourself. >_>

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #126 on: 27 May 2013, 02:29 »

It's not physically harmless, but it's not exactly good for the bonding of the team to be flinging accusations around. But fuck it, if you people want to keep at it, feel free to test me. Maybe I'll vote for myself.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #127 on: 27 May 2013, 05:35 »

Pistorious, back in the medbay, is furiously working on creating another dose of the compound. His movements are erratic, and he appears to be angrily muttering to himself.
"keep it together, Terrence, you've got to keep shit together, you're going to get out of this thing safely, you're going to be fine"

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #128 on: 27 May 2013, 05:37 »

"We're at a science station in the antarctic - I think our food supply is ok at least long enough to finish testing everyone?  It's not like there's a stop & shop down the block when you're living on the south pole.  If we need to, we can probably coordinate with the outside to safely air-drop supplies we need."  She stops and things for a minute.  "Though... how is our radio contact, cesium?  Are we still on the air?"

"In any case, I'm glad to know Einhorn is safe, and I also don't understand Gareth's objections to testing.  Two of us have undergone it, and it's been perfectly harmless."
I've been trying to get contact with the outside world, but I haven't heard anything. I think they may think the talk about "things" infecting humans and all that may be a prank, so they might be ignoring me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #129 on: 27 May 2013, 07:28 »

Well, there are plenty of INGREDIENTS. Tough shit for you all because you've all been told not eat any food prepared by anyone other than yourself. >_>

Cut the attitude. We were just asking if we had enough for us to survive, not for you to cook us a *damn buffet. We're all adults, I'm pretty sure we can manage to make our own meals.

*edited for spell check only
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 14:05 by Linds »

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #130 on: 27 May 2013, 10:35 »

Pistorious, back in the medbay, is furiously working on creating another dose of the compound. His movements are erratic, and he appears to be angrily muttering to himself.
"keep it together, Terrence, you've got to keep shit together, you're going to get out of this thing safely, you're going to be fine"

Dr J leans back in his chair. "You know, if you're going to be using my infirmary for this, the least you could do is share the formula. Working together, we could double the production."

mtmerrick

« Reply #131 on: 27 May 2013, 12:45 »

Cut the attitude. We were just asking if we had enough for us to survive, not for you to cook us a rang buffet. We're all adults, I'm pretty sure we can manage to make our own meals.
*points to bags of flour, bags of raw beans, slabs of raw frozen meat, frozen fruits/veggies, ect*
I feed y'all pretty well. I don't appreciate being fired.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #132 on: 27 May 2013, 13:10 »

A scream cuts through the base, followed by the wild barking of the dogs. As the groups runs to the kennels, they soon find the source of the scream.

Before the kennels lay Gareth's body, the back of his head caved in with a wrench that laid beside him. Several of the dogs let loose a plaintive whine for their master as one tries to lick his finger through the wire mesh fence. A good man had been murdered.

As the group tries to make sense of what had happened, the doctor comes in panicked and confused. Using the discovery of Gareth's body as a cover, someone had run into Pistorious' lab and smashed everything to pieces, the computers, the equipment, everything. Apparently, with the sound of Pistorious approach caused the vandal to panic and left, leaving behind a rock pick.

Angry and frustrated, the group gathered in the common room.

Day 3 Begins
(As a murder has happened, the weapons cabinet has been unlocked. As a gun has been thrown into the mix, there is a 30% chance that if someone gets tested, another person may snap and shoot the person being tested. This will increase 5% every Day phase as the tension mounts and people feel the stress. If a Thing is shot during this, it will lash out and kill the person nearest to them...aka, the last person to post before 9pm GMT)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #133 on: 27 May 2013, 13:57 »

"He's dead, Jim"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #134 on: 27 May 2013, 14:07 »

For fuck's sake! This is getting out of control! Pistorious, please tell us you didn't loose too much data on how to kill the damned thing...

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #135 on: 27 May 2013, 14:30 »

"Why is any object we don't understand always called a thing?"

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #136 on: 27 May 2013, 14:41 »

I believe that is used as an abbreviation of the proper technical term, thingamabob.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #137 on: 27 May 2013, 15:22 »

Pistorious, in his pajamas (the ruckus having woken him from sleep) walks slowly through the rubble that used to be his equipment. He slowly bends down to investigate his losses. He spots something and picks up a picture frame that, too, fell victim to the intruder. His face is riddled with defeat.
"Months of research... gone -"

and without a further word, he goes back to his sleeping arrangements. Just in front of the door, he turns back to Linds:
"I don't need the data. I have the formula for the compound memorized. I could create it in my sleep."

he looks back to his broken equipment, and reveals a broken syringe in his other hand and adds in a sullen voice
"but I can't if the ingredients are gone and my equipment is trash."

and with that, he shuts the door behind him. The last thing the group hears is the key turning.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #138 on: 27 May 2013, 16:10 »

"..." de la Nae walks around the kennel, just taking it all in. "...I guess that helps answer that. I was...well, I'd thought maybe it was just a scare. I guess some of us are already dead, though."

She pauses, looking down at Gareth's body and the dogs, before putting both her hands over her face for a long moment. "...goddamnit goddamniit..." She removes her hands, revealing a worn-out face.  "...we have to burn it all, don't we? Gareth...every dog...just to be sure...don't we?"

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #139 on: 27 May 2013, 18:46 »

"The dogs... might be okay... I don't know about Gareth though... I... have to question if it was really the thing that did it. I mean... do you suppose one of us snapped? A good number of us thought he was behaving oddly."

Game and Watch walks over to Pistorious's room and knocks on the door. "Prof? I have a question. How smart is this thing? Like... is it smart enough to actually consider its targets? Because I have to ask myself... are some of us more likely to be compromised by this thing than others?"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 27 May 2013, 20:14 »

I hate to say it, but I don't think we can trust the dogs. But at the same time, I don't want to be the one to get rid of them. I think if we leave them locked up, maybe we'll be safe enough?

he looks back to his broken equipment, and reveals a broken syringe in his other hand and adds in a sullen voice
"but I can't if the ingredients are gone and my equipment is trash."

*sigh* Come on, I'll help you clean up. Maybe we can find some evidence as to who did this. It might give us some clues about Gareth, as well.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #141 on: 27 May 2013, 22:40 »

de la Nae eyes the Commander. "Einhorn...maybe Gareth's dead because it couldn't get to him for some reason, but can we afford to trust that it busted his head open then didn't infest the dogs? Can we afford to just leave them here and hope that nothing breaks out of the kennel? I mean...God, I don't know, can we even afford to trust all of the food? That shit *was* living...Jesus I'm coming apart at the seams a bit, aren't I?" She sits down heavily. "...I mean do we even have any living plants? I don't remember any, but I don't know everything that the scientists are doing around here...hold on..." She curls in on herself and takes deep breaths for a long minute.

"...okay....okay I'm okay. Tell you what, I don't...I'd feel a lot better if I knew our radio tech wasn't broadcasting out anything like inviting more targets. I think we should test Cesium."

Zingoleb

« Reply #142 on: 27 May 2013, 22:52 »

There doesn't seem to be much of any reply when DeLanae spoke, even an acknowledgment of her words.

"They'll have to go," he says after a long moment, turning to look at her, his expression dull, though whether from drinking, the situation, or just what has to be done, it's hard to say. "The dogs...Gareth knew how to handle them, we don't. They still need to be fed, they still need to be taken care of, and they can still be infected. It's too much risk." He says nothing for a long moment before standing up, walking to the weapons cabinet and pulling out a gun, a single pistol, checking to make sure it's loaded.

"I'll do it myself. It's going to be hard, but I'm the commander." Commander. Commander. The word seemed to echo in his head, reminding him of his responsibilities - his burden to save not only himself but to save his crew - and who he'll answer to back in the real world should he ever go back there. He just stood there for a long moment, thinking, staring balefully ahead before turning and leaving the room without a further word.

In the distance, shots are heard.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #143 on: 27 May 2013, 23:10 »

from Pistorious' room, sounds were echoing throughout the station. The professor appeared to have taken out his old guitar. He started to sing:

"in our headlights
staring bleak;
beer cans,
deer's eyes"

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #144 on: 28 May 2013, 00:04 »

"Listen, prof. Pistorious claimed he could inoculate us against the infection. If the organism is intelligent, -though I stress that we can only speculate that it is- but if it is intelligent then that would make him the most immediate threat, and a primary target for infection. The fact that he decided to burn his notes rather than show them to me does not fill me with confidence either, and followed by the destruction of the lab; he's the only one who can theoretically protect us, yet been left unable to actually do so."

Vote to test Masterpiece

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #145 on: 28 May 2013, 01:07 »

"Lonely street signs,
power lines,
they keep on flashing,
flashing by.

And we keep driving
into the night,
it's a late goodbye,
such a late goodbye"

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #146 on: 28 May 2013, 03:33 »

"Oh for fuck's sake J...sure it managed to sneak off, trash Pissy's equipment, and cave Gareth's head in, but we weren't all asleep the entire time...

You know what? We just tested him, but *you* haven't went under the scope yet. Screw Cesium, let's see what your blood looks like!" *test J*

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #147 on: 28 May 2013, 05:24 »

I don't think testing Masterpiece again is going to get us anywhere. Clearly he is distraught, so I doubt he destroyed his own lab. I think someone is trying to get in his way. *looks at the rock pick* Either Dr. Bemis has been infected or someone is trying to frame her. She seems like a smart lady, so I am beginning to lean towards the latter.

Vote to test J.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #148 on: 28 May 2013, 05:42 »

"...okay....okay I'm okay. Tell you what, I don't...I'd feel a lot better if I knew our radio tech wasn't broadcasting out anything like inviting more targets.
What am I supposed to say, "please don't help us, we're just fine"? Anyway, I heard back from McMurdo Base. They don't want to risk an overland trip, so they're going to airdrop some supplies to get us by for a while.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #149 on: 28 May 2013, 06:04 »

Oh, I see that lantern
trimmed low burning in our home
And though I feel like crying
I swear tonight, I'll cry no more

How many times have I prayed